Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 pm 

I'll admit I stole the thread title from the article here but it's pretty bold and relevant https://www.loudersound.com/features/bl ... -eD11Ei1rU

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere here, surprisingly, as I'm generally kinda late on things. But it seems that a next level event is on the horizon.

https://yeruselem.bandcamp.com/album/the-sublime

Quote:
YERÛŠELEM is the newest entity created by Vindsval and W.D.Feld (BLUT AUS NORD).

First utterance ‘The Sublime’ is a world of interlocking miniatures, music in which a familiar centre has collapsed and been restructured into new forms, where ghosts are created by absence.

The project’s name speaks of an incalculable vastness of contemplation within: YERÛŠELEM’s sound is a congruent melding of powerfully bass-heavy Godfleshian clank and grind, the sacred ur-texts of Coil and Autechre, stark neo-gothic guitar leads with intimations of fusion, the freshness-into-fetid-air experimentation of back-end ‘90s Mayhem and Thorns, post-punk urbanity, psychedelic dreamgaze, subterranean industrial pulses and the crunching rhythmic crispness of modernist electronica.

Eternal searching has culminated in a new vocal and lyrical clarity which moves further towards communication than anything previously recorded by the pair. Is this spiritualism or lack thereof? Prayer or anti-prayer? Self-renewal from without or within?

With ‘The Sublime’ YERÛŠELEM have created a realm unreal and all too real, the definition truly undefined - the source as unfathomable as it ever was.

color me all too intrigued

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:33 am 

Yeah pre-ordered the LP as soon as they were up. Love Vindsval's work, so I don't think this will disappoint. Full album available for streaming sometime during the 31st according to Debemur-Morti FB page.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:16 am 

This already sounds good. I love Blut Aus Nord's more industrial stuff and this is pushing that further again. Will likely get the album.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:20 am 

This is basically a mid-era Godflesh album. I love those records, so that's cool. DMP's hyperbole filled promo material makes me cringe though.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 am 

Amber Gray wrote:
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere here, surprisingly, as I'm generally kinda late on things.

We did mention it here:
https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?p=2828697#p2828697
But thanks for opening a thread. :beer:

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:50 pm 

It's out in the ether. Total Godflesh worship. I'm getting heavy "Pure" vibes.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:22 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:

It’s out in the ether at the link OP shared.

I pre-ordered because I love Vindsval and am not disappointed. It’s definite Godflesh worship with some Cosmosophy hunts and I really enjoyed it. It’s in line with what I expected but definitely full of surprises too. Enjoyable and distinct enough to warrant being its own thing too whil appealing to fans of BAN’s more experimental/industrial stuff (which I love).

I’m excited to see what this means for new BAN too since Vindsval mentioned continuing the Memoria Vetusta series under a new band called The Meditant. It’ll be interesting to see how have three distinct bands play off one another assuming that’s still the plan.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:26 pm 

What are you referring to as "surprises?" If this was released as a BAN album no one would have batted an eyelash. :lol:

Auch wrote:
I’m excited to see what this means for new BAN too since Vindsval mentioned continuing the Memoria Vetusta series under a new band called The Meditant. It’ll be interesting to see how have three distinct bands play off one another assuming that’s still the plan.

Don't forget about Eksatsis or 777. I was excited for the former. I figure 777 is just going to build off the BAN trilogy and that gets a meh from me.

I haven't seen anything mentioned for Eksatsis since DMP posted they were seeking a drummer.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:00 pm 

Hahaha. I mean, that’s true. I would not have been surprised if this were a BAN except for the lack of harsh vocals. Even on the albums incorporating clean vocals, the harsh dominates which was less present here.

“Joyless” felt surprisingly heavy and aggressive when it came on (granted I’ve only listened to the full album once).

And that’s right! I did forget about Ekstasis. I think they announced that they found a drummer in Bjarni Einarsson from all of those Icelandic BM bands but I just checked and it looks like he’s a part of Yeruselem too? So maybe Ekstasis transformed into Yeruselem?

I do believe that 777 is supposed to be basically pure electronic/trip-hop, so not really an extension of that series.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:38 pm 

I don't think Vindisval has ever kept his Godflesh influence a secret, at least not since The Work Which Transformed God. Hell, BAN even covered a Godflesh song a while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWd0Ie3m_g

The most ridiculous claim ever made, this should be a classic signature, but I'm too lazy...

Last.fm

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 pm 

Auch wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:

It’s out in the ether at the link OP shared.

I got a shitty 128 kbps rip but I REALLY like this before finishing my first listen. :thumbsup:
P.D: I also REALLY enjoy the 777 albums.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:12 pm 

Auch wrote:
So maybe Ekstasis transformed into Yeruselem?

I do believe that 777 is supposed to be basically pure electronic/trip-hop, so not really an extension of that series.

In an interview he mentions them as two distinct bands, with the same members. Here's the link: http://steelforbrains.tumblr.com/post/119949784067/the-supreme-abstract-a-conversation-with-vindsval

That was in 2015 though, and you never really know with Vindsval.

Pure trip hop you say? That's a bit more interesting...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:45 pm 

Blut Aus Nord, Peste Noire and Deathspell Omega all seem to feel a need to upstage each other trying to make the worst music of all time. If France turned into an Islamic khalifate that banned all metal the genre would be twice as good overall instantly.

ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Blut Aus Nord, Peste Noire and Deathspell Omega all seem to feel a need to upstage each other trying to make the worst music of all time. If France turned into an Islamic khalifate that banned all metal the genre would be twice as good overall instantly.

Edgy. And remind me, why should anyone listen to the opinion of someone that has 4.7k Crazy Frog scrobbles?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 pm 

My top artist has 583 scrobbles and it's Nuclear Death.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
Auch wrote:
So maybe Ekstasis transformed into Yeruselem?

In an interview he mentions them as two distinct bands, with the same members. Here's the link: http://steelforbrains.tumblr.com/post/119949784067/the-supreme-abstract-a-conversation-with-vindsval

That was in 2015 though, and you never really know with Vindsval.

Pure trip-hop you say? That's a bit more interesting...

Thanks! I forgot Ekstasis was supposed to be MoRT style. But this does make it clear they'd be different then. This link does have Vindsval saying he doesn't consider MoRT a limit and could revisit the style should he feel moved to, so maybe Ekstasis is waiting for that? https://www.webzinelescribedurock.com/2 ... 4bmpCS39dw

Wish I could find the interview where 777 is described as pure trip-hop. I swear I'm not making it up!

Wilytank wrote:
I don't think Vindisval has ever kept his Godflesh influence a secret, at least not since The Work Which Transformed God. Hell, BAN even covered a Godflesh song a while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWd0Ie3m_g

For sure, but this is like pure Godflesh worship versus just being a fan of and influenced by.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:33 pm 

The Godflesh cover is pretty old. His cover of Pitchshifter is great too.

Am I missing something, or are all the drums on Yerûšelem programmed? What was the point of having a real drummer in the lineup?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 am 

droneriot wrote:

:roll:

So, this one is out:

Quote:
Released February 8, 2019.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:13 am 

Amber Gray wrote:
Eternal searching has culminated in a new vocal and lyrical clarity which moves further towards communication than anything previously recorded by the pair. Is this spiritualism or lack thereof? Prayer or anti-prayer? Self-renewal from without or within?

With ‘The Sublime’ YERÛŠELEM have created a realm unreal and all too real, the definition truly undefined - the source as unfathomable as it ever was.

As never yet always, Vindsval's promo verbiage reads like a formless sphere of painstakingly ejaculatory incongruous harmony.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm 

100% accurate. "Vindsval finally embraces his love of Godflesh in new LP" would have sufficed.

I still listen to this daily. It's my favorite thing he's done outside of the MV albums and the debut.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:25 pm 

I don’t think it’s Vindsval writing it since those write-ups are for all DMP releases.

They’re pretty great to make fun of but I kinda love their over-the-topness.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:29 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
So, this one is out:
Quote:
Released February 8, 2019.

First proper listen after burning my FLAC.
I think I prefer the 777 trilogy because it's weirdness. This feels like more serene.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 pm 

album fuckin slaps y'all

vindsval's mystical melodies over some sick ass beats. really good

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:58 am 

Gave it a spin yesterday, pretty good stuff. Will come back to it for sure!

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:50 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
Am I missing something, or are all the drums on Yerûšelem programmed? What was the point of having a real drummer in the lineup?

I've always acted under the assumption that BAN (and all related projects, including this one) is simply a Vindsval solo project, and that "W.D. Feld" and "GhOst" are fake band members (ala Bathory). I've never once gotten the impression that BAN was ever a collaborative "band", however defined (in fact, the 777 series and some of the EPs credits Vindsval solely).

As such, it's glaringly obvious that the drumming on all BAN albums are programmed, with the exception of Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry, which is the only album where Gionata "Thorns" Potenti is credited. As I have yet to hear this new Yeruselem project (but am very much looking forward to checking it out as early indicators suggest this is the natural followup to the 777 series, which are among my favorite BAN albums), I can't comment that these are programmed drums, but it very much stands to reason that this is the case, because-again-I highly doubt "W.D. Feld" is a real person.
Obliteration

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:07 pm 

Interesting theory. Seems like a pointless exercise in 2019 to make up band members though.

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 am 

Like I wrote in a different thread some time ago, I find it hard to believe that they would be fictional people. W. D. Feld has been around since BAN's debut and GhÖst joined during The Mystical Beast of Rebellion. It would be really strange to go: "Well, since I have this fictional keyboardist/drum programmer, I might as well invent a fictional bassist too." Blut Aus Nord is underground enough to feasibly stay totally anonymous; we don't know pretty much anything about Vindsval either.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:47 pm 

I wondered if they were real too or just meant to reflect like a 'trinity' theme, but I agree it seems slightly pointless - particularly since Vindsval will release certain Blut Aus Nord albums as solo projects and then will do something like Yerûšelem with just one of the two other people. It just doesn't seem to make much sense to pretend.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:13 am 

I've more or less always assumed they weren't real and will continue to do so.

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:43 am 

droneriot wrote:
Blut Aus Nord [...] trying to make the worst music of all time. If France turned into an Islamic khalifate that banned all metal the genre would be twice as good overall instantly.

Dayuum dude. No love even for the Memoria Vetusta albums? No feelings for melodies? Heart of stone!

Reply to topic