Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:10 pm 

Anyone hear the new song yet? It was released yesterday for decibel premium

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:45 pm 

Looking forward to this. I wouldn't mind hearing Bill contribute some vocals again.

As far as their back catalog goes, I love Symphonies, Necroticism, Tools, and Heartwork the most. The fact that they have been copied by so many, and then copied AGAIN after their change in style should tell you something. Carcass were innovators. Exhumed is a good band, but they are imitators. They (and other bands like them) followed a path that was cut by Carcass.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:49 pm 

matras wrote:
Metal_Jaw wrote:
Everflowingstream wrote:
I fucking hate the term 'dropping'/'dropped'.

Tell you what. I'll change the title of the post, just for you m'kay?

You should change it to "Carcass to Release New Album in 2020; New Single Will Drop Soon." since efs don't hate that term.

I’d like to back up EFS on this one. “Dropping” an album? Nah. I don’t want to use the same word for music I like, and what my dog leaves on the lawn.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:23 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
The fact that they have been copied by so many, and then copied AGAIN after their change in style should tell you something. Carcass were innovators. Exhumed is a good band, but they are imitators. They (and other bands like them) followed a path that was cut by Carcass.

Not arguing the point, which I agree with, but you make it sound as if "innovation" can't be improved upon when followed. I think humanity more often proves the opposite to be true.

And to that point, I'm with the few who prefer Exhumed's early stuff over Carcass'. Carcass carved the path indeed, but Exhumed blazed it, along with Disgorge (mex) imo. Gore Metal, Slaughtercult, Forensick and Necroholocaust are far more enjoyable and engaging albums to me than Reek or Symphonies.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:41 am 

Anybody else other than myself likes Swansong?

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 am 

Substantia_Nigrae wrote:

Nah I love it. I think it's better than Heartwork actually. And better than Surgical Steel.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:09 am 

matras wrote:
Substantia_Nigrae wrote:

Nah I love it. I think it's better than Heartwork actually. And better than Surgical Steel.

I couldn't stand Surgical Steel. It felt so rehashed, been there done that sort of feel.
Swansong was great, fun, dynamic, heavy and with the best socially-conscious lyrics I just loved to read and relate to. Black Star, Generation Hexed and some other tracks ere pure joy for me. Less heavy and dark than Heartwork, yet more fun to listen to.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:28 pm 

Substantia_Nigrae wrote:

I do, but I also always like the "sellout" records bands put out, so it's not too surprising.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm 

I think it's a great companion album to Wolverine Blues, so I like it too.

devil1111
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:16 pm 

Substantia_Nigrae wrote:

It's brilliant- riffs and riffs

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:53 pm 

devil1111 wrote:
Substantia_Nigrae wrote:

It's brilliant- riffs and riffs

It's hard to explain why, but I love that album to my very core and it's all I wanted Carcass to ever be. Sellouts? I think not. It bewilders me time and again why this album gets so much negative criticism. Black Star sends shivers down my spine every time I listen to this simple yet wonderfully written song, two and a half decades later, each and every time.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:06 pm 

I like Swansong too. Hard to grasp anyone calling it a “sellout” album. Making some music that arguably shares a few more mainstream-accessible surface characteristics than other death metal dies, hardly got Carcass noticed by commercial radio!
“Keep On Rotting in the Free World” still rings true for me, along with “Room 101”. There’s a few forgettable tracks on there, but nothing actively bad.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:38 pm 

Swansong has some excellent tracks, but it's clearly intended to be a sell-out album. Not that I fault them for that. Bands like Megadeth had kindof left a void in that market at that time.

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 pm 

Count me in as a defender of "Swansong". I feel as though they did the death 'n roll thing better than most, barring perhaps "Wolverine Blues" by Entombed. Hell, count me in as a "Surgical Steel" defender, too - that one's also fairly polarizing. It ain't my favorite, but I had fun with it. Looking forward to whatever they do next!

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:16 pm 

Yeah Swansong is surprisingly a pretty consistent album for all the flak it gets. Granted, I belong to that group of people who prefer Heartwork over everything else so I'm biased towards polished Carcass in general, but if you go into the album without trying to connect it to their previous work it's a great piece of catchy metal. Don't Believe a Word is especially underrated with that stick-in-your-head riff and the hooky guitar and vocal patterns of Room 101 are quite overlooked too.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:11 pm 

Swansong's literally the only Carcass album I haven't listened to. I figured I wasn't really missing anything but I'm starting to feel like checking it out now seeing everyone discussing it.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:27 pm 

Just remember that this forum isn't in any way representative for how metal fans generally feel, widdly-diddly hypermelodic lead guitar wanking is disproportionately praised here. It's fine for what it is because every online metal community has its own predominant preferences, but it's just something to keep in mind when seeing lots of praise. I think every metal forum you go to you'll see a different Carcass album praised the most and it all depends on what type of metal the majority of users usually listen to.

I like the debut the most because along with Nuclear Death it's a rare breed of "grindcore for Beherit fans", and in line with my previous statement, what I usually listen to is Beherit. People who are more into Wacken headliner type of stuff will obviously feel very differently about the discography.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:15 pm 

Wow, that's some elitist bulshit right there. I listen to Darkspace and Esoteric, and I'm one of those who enjoys Swansong. Not everyone is as unidimensional as you are when it comes to taste in music.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:31 pm 

That LSD is good? None of what you are seemingly responding to is in my post.

If you consider Beherit the most elite thing in the world all the power to you, but I made it pretty clear that I was just referring to personal taste, not objective quality.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:40 pm 

Actually, listening to Beherit (shit like Oath of Black Blood etc.) exclusively, does not make you an elitist; it makes you more of a redneck if there ever was one.
I tried Beherit many many many years ago, when most here were toddlers at best, and other than Drawing Down the Moon and some of their/his ambient bullshit, I find this "band" utterly forgettable and redundant. I pretty quickly moved on to listening to real music.

One of extreme metal's major issues -- as noticed by someone who has been living this culture for more than 3 decades -- is that people put on a pedestal the most ridiculous recordings as if they were the alpha and the omega of all that is metal. I get it that musical taste varies and is purely subjective, and different strokes and stuff, but come the fuck on.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:45 pm 

Yeah wow another dumb response by someone who can't read properly. Again I was talking about personal taste, not objective quality. Someone who is into Beherit will be more likely to enjoy Reek of Putrefaction the most, someone who is into At the Gates will probably not. Wow it's so simple but yet too much for some people.

And don't try seniority with someone who listened to metal since 1989 please. I also tried Beherit many many many years ago and they turned out to be one of the defining bands in my years of loving metal. You are actually the only one here trying to objectively put down something, I didn't. You're the elitist prick telling others that there is good quality metal and bad quality metal. You point the finger, but you are the only one guilty of what you accuse others of. What a bunch of lying hypocrite bullshit. Come the fuck on.

Just as an addition: What defines the Carcass demos and debut same as Beherit and same as the Brazilian bands at the same time is that feeling you have when you are on a train and it's slowing down and for a few seconds it feels like you're faster than yourself and overtaking yourself. The music has that same feeling, that the energy of the music is bursting out of the musicians faster than the musicians can keep up. None of the high-precision fast stuff like Brain Drill and the like could ever recreate that feeling, it's unique and it seems to require very young musicians and a very specific mindset, but it's very exhilerating and impossible to recreate in lab conditions with any of the most hyper-precise instrumental wizards in the world. You can try to put an objective negative quality on that, but it's just not possible, you can only talk about your personal opinion, because nothing can ever be objectively wrong about such a unique style of music limited to such a specific time frame and frame of mind.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:20 pm 

For what is worth I wasn't implying that liking Beherit makes anyone an elitist. You can like whatever you want. What I was talking about was the "dude who likes creepy shit will only like more creepy shit" bullshit, that someone who goes to Wacken and likes the headliners can't also enjoy Beherit or even Reek of Putrefaction. Hence my post. Maybe I've read too much into this part of the post:
droneriot wrote:
I like the debut the most because along with Nuclear Death it's a rare breed of "grindcore for Beherit fans", and in line with my previous statement, what I usually listen to is Beherit. People who are more into Wacken headliner type of stuff will obviously feel very differently about the discography.

Or maybe I didn't:
droneriot wrote:
Someone who is into Beherit will be more likely to enjoy Reek of Putrefaction the most, someone who is into At the Gates will probably not. Wow it's so simple but yet too much for some people.

Way to overgeneralise every fucking metalhead right?! So now I have to choose between liking my lo-fi atmoblack and my widdly-diddly hypermelodic lead guitar wanking. Well, I won't.

So no LSD here, that's just how I read it. If you weren't pigeonholing this like I just said though, my honest excuses.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:23 pm 

No, I can read properly alright, but you can't seem to answer in a civilized way and have to attack ad hominem as I've noticed you do time and again.
Answer me this question Mr. Superstar: what makes someone who enjoys Swansong, not enjoy The Oath of Black Blood, and vice versa? Where's the contradiction or the limitation there?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 pm 

Androdion, I accept your honest excuses, seems you misunderstood my post because that's not in any way what I was saying, and I still don't know why you would think I did, I thought I went out of my way to phrase it very clearly to make it clear it's not a measure of objective quality. Taste isn't elitist, there is nothing wrong with disliking something, if people want to claim that I don't know what's wrong with them. Everybody dislikes something.

Funny though you claim my taste to be one-dimensional considering I have like 15 different genres in my last.fm top 50, what it has to be at least 45? It's pretty obvious I like a ton of very different things, but because I don't like bands that overexaggerate Maiden worship it makes it one-dimensional? Like is there literally a compulsion to like EVERYTHING?

Substantia_Nigrae, you are just an obvious compulsive liar. You attack me for no reason, and randomly claim I attack ad hominem with no evidence. You start with insults and trashing bands and claim I can't answer in a civilized way. Just a bunch of lying crap. If you can't stand by your own actions and point the finger at others for what you do, please think about what type of person you are.

Kind of odd that people claim something is elitist or whatever, but when a person mentions his or her personal taste, people jump on him or her and act like because the person has a different taste, HE MUST BE WRONG AND THE WORST PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE and somehow that isn't elitist at all. What a joke. I literally just talked about what I prefer more and why, and people start foaming at the mouth and come at me with uncalled for personal attacks because they can't handle someone feeling differently about music, exactly like the fictional strawman they claim to be against. Hypocrites.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 pm 

Hey man, if that wasn't what you meant I went out of my way. But the way you phrased it sounded like you were drawing lines, that's all. Like I mentioned above the "elitist" word was used as a way of saying that you don't need to be all old school and true to be good. Even a sellout album can be good, as per Swansong's case. I have no idea what music you like, I'm not into social media at all so I have no insight of what your tastes are rather than what you'd post here. I myself like a lot of different stuff, from mellow to harsh, from brutal to sweet, from ambient to blasty. And honestly I don't see how one needs to have a specific taste to be able to enjoy or not a specific style. When it's good music it's good music and I like melody as much as I like abrasiveness in my music. Your post just sounded in a particular way to me, and if you say you didn't mean for it to sound that way I apologize and we carry on with our lives. You don't need to like everything nor do I. My point was just that just because you like X band you don't need to hear just X-related bands.

If we get into personal taste and how subjective it is we'll be here all night! :lol: I like Swansong, Heartwork, Necroticism and Symphonies of Sickness. I don't like Reek of Putrefaction nor Surgical Steel. And it's fine if people disagree with me on that.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:36 pm 

Yeah I just get too much of the personal attacks sometimes with "oh here's droneriot the guy who wrote a negative review for Ihsahn once, surely he does it out of hatred of metal where musicians can play more than three notes straight", it's dumb as fuck people getting offended that someone doesn't like every ultra-progressive band in the world, but fuck those people who get offended by everything, the sole point was that Reek of Putrefaction is over the top loud and in your face music and it's an orgasm for people who love over the top and in your face music, and people who love well played and well produced stuff would probably think "well maybe this would be cool if they learned how to play their instruments and got into a more serious studio" but that's absolutely not what the charm of that album is. Heartwork and Swansong have that, but Reek of Putrefaction is not for people who think musicians should be super tightly practised and have a professional producer, it's for people who like musicians to beat the fuck out of their instruments and who cares about what it sounds like as long as it's loud and fast.

Petrus_Steele
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:43 pm 

Well, it's about fucking time!

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:55 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Yeah I just get too much of the personal attacks sometimes with "oh here's droneriot the guy who wrote a negative review for Ihsahn once, surely he does it out of hatred of metal where musicians can play more than three notes straight", it's dumb as fuck people getting offended that someone doesn't like every ultra-progressive band in the world, but fuck those people who get offended by everything, the sole point was that Reek of Putrefaction is over the top loud and in your face music and it's an orgasm for people who love over the top and in your face music, and people who love well played and well produced stuff would probably think "well maybe this would be cool if they learned how to play their instruments and got into a more serious studio" but that's absolutely not what the charm of that album is. Heartwork and Swansong have that, but Reek of Putrefaction is not for people who think musicians should be super tightly practised and have a professional producer, it's for people who like musicians to beat the fuck out of their instruments and who cares about what it sounds like as long as it's loud and fast.

I can sympathise with this sentiment, as not everything needs to be tightly woven to be good. I'm definitely not one to attack someone personally on these boards, though I do tend to "attack" users' arguments, and I don't see that as making a personal move against someone rather than at the idea they're putting forth. That's kind of where I also get some flack, because I'm very straightforward in argumentation but without the malice to bring people down because they think in a particular way. Hey, I'm weird. I'm the guy who enjoys having an active discussion about something because I find fun in argumentation, but to me that's never about the person behind the argument.

Anyway, I guess we've come to terms so let's move on. Someone above mentioned there's a new single somewhere online, what was that all about anyway?

Dail
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:36 am 

Substantia_Nigrae wrote:
Actually, listening to Beherit (shit like Oath of Black Blood etc.) exclusively, does not make you an elitist; it makes you more of a redneck if there ever was one.

Would love to know how listening to Beherit makes you a redneck. This has to be one of the dumbest comments I've ever read online. Well done.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 am 

Dail wrote:
Substantia_Nigrae wrote:

Would love to know how listening to Beherit makes you a redneck. This has to be one of the dumbest comments I've ever read online. Well done.

You obviously are not graced with enough cognitive computing power to comprehend. Work on it.

Pudgestomp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:53 pm 

Carcass is one of the headliners at Decibel's Metal and Beer fest in LA this December and I've fortunately been able to carve out some time from work to get to go. Supposedly they are playing (debuting?) one or more of their new songs that night. I'm of two minds on this: cool to hear what their new stuff will sound like, but I'm not sure the first time I want to hear the tracks is live.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm 

The song is called "Under the Scalpel Blade", apparently, and I'm surprised it still hasn't made it's way online yet. It's been almost a week since it came out.

Last edited by thrashinbatman on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm 

Not surprised, Decibel flexis take a few days, think you can count the overlap of people who rip vinyl and people who read Decibel on one hand.

The smarter bands (like Asphyx) just put it on their YT knowing someone will rip it anyway, the less smart bands are still stuck in turn of the century Lars Ulrich modes and cry about the thieves and then someone rips it anyway.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2