Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:16 pm 

Well, that sucks. Even if Repentless was a terrible piece of shit, it's sad to see them go. This felt like a bitter memento mori that soon all the great bands will be gone

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:20 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
Well, that sucks. Even if Repentless was a terrible piece of shit, it's sad to see them go. This felt like a bitter memento mori that soon all the great bands will be gone

Yeah, I only like their classic albums they we were always fun to watch live.
What about Araya's farewell? I did read about it but don't know what he said.

https://www.slayer.net/blog/slayer-announces-the-final-campaign-the-last-leg-of-its-farewell-world-tour/7/9/2019

Quote:
“After the final note, Tom Araya stood alone, scanning the crowd…forging a mental imprint of the moment. After a minute or two, he went to the microphone and said, ‘I’m going to miss you guys.’ Then he exited and the lights went up.”

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:27 pm 

Slayer reunion tour 2022, you heard it here first.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:39 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Slayer reunion tour 2022, you heard it here first.

You really think it will take that long?

metalMT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:

Terrible line up for their final show, when I saw them last they had Obituary and Anthrax, but they've not exactly been known for stellar supports.

I hope Nuclear Blast release the last two shows as a album, that's bound to happen, the label will really milk it like they do everything else!

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:26 pm 

It's really sad. Slayer is the most extreme band that could play in front of audiences of 10,000 or more.

Sad, but metalheads of the future will never get to witness Slayer in a live setting. Amongst thrash bands who can play in front of crowds that large, Metallica (who plays in front of even bigger crowds) and Megadeth are all that are left. Plus, with Dave Mustaine battling cancer, Megadeth may not even be around much longer.

Excluding bands who've been around forever, the most comparable bands to Slayer left that can play in front of similar crowds would probably be Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, and Five Finger Death Punch. That may make most metalheads upset, but it's the truth.

The band who are called the "Slayer of the 2020s" or "the next Slayer" will likely only be able to play in front of 10% of the audience Slayer typically played for, unless a bigger name band like Metallica takes them out. Given that the bands Metallica takes out are usually maybe 5% heavier than Nickelback, I don't see that happening. It would be nice if Metallica could take out a modern thrash metal band, like Detherous, Ripper, or Sadistic Ritual, or a veteran thrash metal band like Overkill or Kreator out with them for a tour.

It's sad, but the days of metal bands being able to fill arenas are almost completely done. It would be great if a Slayer sounding band comes along and manages to fill venues even half the size of the venues Slayer plays, but the likelihood of that is incredibly small.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:48 pm 

It wouldn't surprise me if they end up touring again but part of me wants Kerry King's inevitable spin-off band to take off just so Tom Araya can get the relaxation that he has so clearly wanted.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:58 pm 

They'll show up at fests when they need money, I would wager.

KK's spin-off band will be hilarious I'm sure.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:59 pm 

metalMT wrote:
at the gaytes wrote:

Terrible line up for their final show, when I saw them last they had Obituary and Anthrax, but they've not exactly been known for stellar supports.

I hope Nuclear Blast release the last two shows as a album, that's bound to happen, the label will really milk it like they do everything else!

Heh, I was hoping they would give a chance to some of my underrated favorites like Kill Again, Praise of Death and Circle of Beliefs, but instead they played Gemini

Required Fields wrote:
It's really sad. Slayer is the most extreme band that could play in front of audiences of 10,000 or more.

Sad, but metalheads of the future will never get to witness Slayer in a live setting. Amongst thrash bands who can play in front of crowds that large, Metallica (who plays in front of even bigger crowds) and Megadeth are all that are left. Plus, with Dave Mustaine battling cancer, Megadeth may not even be around much longer.

Excluding bands who've been around forever, the most comparable bands to Slayer left that can play in front of similar crowds would probably be Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, and Five Finger Death Punch. That may make most metalheads upset, but it's the truth.

The band who are called the "Slayer of the 2020s" or "the next Slayer" will likely only be able to play in front of 10% of the audience Slayer typically played for, unless a bigger name band like Metallica takes them out. Given that the bands Metallica takes out are usually maybe 5% heavier than Nickelback, I don't see that happening. It would be nice if Metallica could take out a modern thrash metal band, like Detherous, Ripper, or Sadistic Ritual, or a veteran thrash metal band like Overkill or Kreator out with them for a tour.

It's sad, but the days of metal bands being able to fill arenas are almost completely done. It would be great if a Slayer sounding band comes along and manages to fill venues even half the size of the venues Slayer plays, but the likelihood of that is incredibly small.

The thing with Metallica is that 50% or more of their fanbase only cares about Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters and One. Slayer reached the highest level of popularity that a "pure" thrash metal band can aim for, mostly because of their perfect balance of aggressiveness and catchy songs, never resorting to blatantly selling out. With the possible exception of Sepultura, I don't think any band ever managed (or will manage) to replicate their formula

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:32 pm 

Live footage of Angel of Death, their last song, and the band saying goodbye. Araya's wanted out for years but he clearly couldn't let it go at the end.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:20 pm 

Last show for this year, anyway. See ya in 2020, Slayer.

And about metal bands not filling arena venues, who really cares? Metallica concerts seem like they suck, tbh. It's why I've never bothered to see them. Millions of other people there, so much so, that you end up watching them on a TV while there. Just doesn't seem worth it based on the travel and money it would take.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm 

I hope Primus played a few Blind Illusion or Possessed tracks for Slayer’s farewell.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:53 pm 

Yeah right.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:36 pm 

It'll be interesting to see how big, concert attendance wise, Power Trip can get. They're the closest thing to them in terms of hype and sound.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:53 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how big, concert attendance wise, Power Trip can get. They're the closest thing to them in terms of hype and sound.

I'm sure that a decade ago people were saying the same thing about Evile, Gama Bomb, Toxic Holocaust, or Municipal Waste.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:00 pm 

Required Fields wrote:
The band who are called the "Slayer of the 2020s" or "the next Slayer" will likely only be able to play in front of 10% of the audience Slayer typically played for

I think that's generous, frankly.

On a side note ... Slayer without Hanneman isn't really Slayer anyway, frankly. Their songwriting ability was gone when he passed. In my view Slayer was already finished on that day.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:11 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:

I'm sure that a decade ago people were saying the same thing about Evile, Gama Bomb, Toxic Holocaust, or Municipal Waste.

I was around during that time and it was all label generated hype. Only Municipal is doing good due to the constant touring they do.
That being said, the bands I see next to fill arenas will certainly be Ghost (I think they're doing that now), Amon Amarth, Overkill, and if they get lucky or release another fucking killer album that they're recording right now, Power Trip: these guys are exploding right now. What metal needs right now is an arena tour of the heavyweights.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm 

I would never call Toxic Holocaust an especially hyped band. But maybe that is just me.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:

I was around during that time and it was all label generated hype. Only Municipal is doing good due to the constant touring they do.
That being said, the bands I see next to fill arenas will certainly be Ghost (I think they're doing that now), Amon Amarth, Overkill, and if they get lucky or release another fucking killer album that they're recording right now, Power Trip: these guys are exploding right now. What metal needs right now is an arena tour of the heavyweights.

Has Overkill been that great lately?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
Has Overkill been that great lately?

Good point. I don't see them making any new fans.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:29 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
The band who are called the "Slayer of the 2020s" or "the next Slayer" will likely only be able to play in front of 10% of the audience Slayer typically played for

I think that's generous, frankly.

On a side note ... Slayer without Hanneman isn't really Slayer anyway, frankly. Their songwriting ability was gone when he passed. In my view Slayer was already finished on that day.

I'd go even further and say there's no Slayer without Lombardo either. When he came back they recorded their best stuff since Season in the Abyss. I lost interest when he left.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 pm 

Isn't this a well known industry move for old bands unable to put out a good record to pretend a disband/hiatus just to start promoting a reunion tour in the next few years?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:03 pm 

While Slayer was over for me quite some time ago (no Hanneman, no Lombardo, string of sub-par albums, etc. being the biggest reasons I feel like this) I still feel a bit bittersweet knowing this is likely the official end. They were a big part of my thrash metal background and I still have very fond memories of them in their prime. I only got to see them live three times and man, that was some experience.

Primus and Ministry opening, huh? Well, Ministry would be okay- they at least had one good album. Primus, lets just say that I'd be hanging out at the bar or the merch table during their set (and no offense to them or their fans; but at least I respect their music more than I enjoy it.)

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:59 pm 

While I only like their classic albums, their live show this year was spectacular and the best of the 4 times I've seen them.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:20 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Isn't this a well known industry move for old bands unable to put out a good record to pretend a disband/hiatus just to start promoting a reunion tour in the next few years?

Yes, but I think Tom really wants to spend more time with family and doesn't feel the same without Jeff.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:26 am 

Pretty bummed TBH. I'm not a huuuge slayer fan but I dearly love Reign, and there really is no other band like them. That album is 34 years old and is still really, really unfriendly and heavy and manic and all that. It's great.

Seeing Tom almost cry at the end was a pretty sad moment. I'm really grateful that I managed to see them live 6 or so years back.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:58 am 

caspian wrote:
Seeing Tom almost cry at the end was a pretty sad moment. I'm really grateful that I managed to see them live 6 or so years back.

Did you see Kerry remove his chains, hod them up, and drop them for all to see? That was as definitive a statement as any.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:41 am 

Given King just signed with Dean guitars and promised something in the future, i guess we'll see King tour with a couple of stand ins that will play Slayer. Probably even record too...

Probably be called "Kings Regin of Blood" or something preposterous.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:40 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
Given King just signed with Dean guitars and promised something in the future, i guess we'll see King tour with a couple of stand ins that will play Slayer. Probably even record too...

Probably be called "Kings Regin of Blood" or something preposterous.

Oh, we'll be seeing him again, I have no doubt about it. He'll probably go with the 'KFK' moniker, or maybe 'King of Kings', or something. Personally, I'd like him to go with 'Captor of King', 'Dead King Mask', or 'Kerrycal Warfare', but that's just me.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 am 

Kerry King will form a band with Hatebreed or Slipknot members.

metalMT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:15 am 

There's some real negativity in this thread regarding Slayer, and I honestly fail to see why. So what if Kerry King decides to tour, or whatever, with a new band playing Slayer stuff, why are people so upset about that? Or even Slayer playing the odd gig in the future, or even a tour? So what, who really cares? Just ignore what Kerry King will end up doing and get on with listening to something else, the guy has to make a living, why would he be stupid and work 9 'til 5 when he could earn money some other way? I couldn't give a toss what Kerry King does, or does not do, good luck to him and Tom, they've released some cracking albums in their early years.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:50 am 

Why so negative on negativity? I love Slayer.

smokinchains
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 am 

at the gaytes wrote:
The thing with Metallica is that 50% or more of their fanbase only cares about Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters and One. Slayer reached the highest level of popularity that a "pure" thrash metal band can aim for, mostly because of their perfect balance of aggressiveness and catchy songs, never resorting to blatantly selling out. With the possible exception of Sepultura, I don't think any band ever managed (or will manage) to replicate their formula

I just want to point out that Metallica was filling areanas during the Justice Tour.

Not that they didn't sell out or anything. But they gained their following through word of mouth, no radio play, no MTV...

I saw them on the Justice tour and the fans were intense. The Black Album crowd was much different.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 am 

Kerry King is a notoriously gigantic douchebag and everybody knows his songwriting and soloing skill was never near Jeff's level, but like it or not he's basically been the sole thing keeping the band going for eons now. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly his insistence that the farewell tour lasted like two and a half years. I've got a lot of respect for him as a musician and rhythm player even if I wish he'd just shut his fucking mouth every once in a while. The guy is a workhorse and he's clearly never lost his love of writing and performing. It'd be absolutely insane if we got through 2020 without him announcing a new project.

I'm not one of those "No Jeff/Dave = No Slayer" guys, but I'd be lying if I said every single album that had the four of them together wasn't vastly superior to everything with Paul and/or Gary. It was time for them to retire. Their page here makes it clear that they're only done performing live, so I guess new material isn't entirely ruled out, but everybody who's seen Slayer in recent years has said the same thing about Tom being very clearly over it, so if he ever does decide he wants to do it again he'll probably be so old that it'll be more pathetic than triumphant.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:08 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm not one of those "No Jeff/Dave = No Slayer" guys, but I'd be lying if I said every single album that had the four of them together wasn't vastly superior to everything with Paul and/or Gary.

Does that include World Painted Blood?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 am 

It would be kind of funny if this ended up like Rush's "He only said no more touring, we're still open to recording and new albums - oh, I guess he meant no more albums either."

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:22 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Does that include World Painted Blood?

Completely subjective of course. Personally I think that Divine Intervention and Undisputed Attitude are their fifth and sixth best albums respectively with some distance from the top four. Then the really boring and pointless Seasons in the Abyss, then the last three in no particular order, then God Hates Us All and last Diabolus in Musica.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:33 am 

People that dismiss Divine Intervention as an inferior album should be punched in the face. Killing Fields, Circle of Beliefs and 213 are as good as anything in RIB and everything else is classic Slayer

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:01 pm 

I too love Divine Intervention. Dittohead, the title track, and Sex Murder Art are my favorites. But IMHO, World Painted Blood was the best album since Seasons.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:25 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
People that dismiss Divine Intervention as an inferior album should be punched in the face. Killing Fields, Circle of Beliefs and 213 are as good as anything in RIB and everything else is classic Slayer

Another vote here for the awesomeness of 213. I'd like to add the title track as another great underrated track as well.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next