Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 am 

Speaking of Virgin Steele, let us never forget "From a Whisper to a Scream (The Spoken Biography)" narrated by DeFeis. :lol:

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
TafferLad wrote:
Also Dave Vincent post Morbid Angel in general

Spoiler: show

Vltimas is certainly an improvement, although it is tempting to ponder how great the band would be with a different vocalist and especially lyricist. The cyberpunk cowboy pimp look he dons onstage doesn't help either. I'm seeing them live in June with very wary expectations.

I like Vltimas a lot, and think he sounds great on this album. The lyrics do get cringeworthy though, agreed on that. Also agreed on his onstage looks. I saw Vltimas last year live, thought it was ok; the band sounded tight, but overall not too impressive, and Vincent was neither here or there, i.e. not embarassing, but not great either.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 pm 

Metal Shark wrote:
St Anger, St Anger, St Anger!

There is one particular moment in "The Unnamed Feeling" when Hetfield goes into a full on Jonathan Davis impression, complete with melodramatic, pained moans. It's thankfully short, but you'll always notice it. If that album is their low point musically, then this little part is his vocal nadir.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:46 pm 

Once there was a time in which people actually took Batushka seriously, mostly due to their gimmick and stage paraphernalia, but with the split and subsequent drama, they became the laughing stock of the Internet. Seeing Krysiuk trying to carry on and managing to secure a deal with Metal Blade despite the massive backlash was as embarassing as it was fun.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:44 pm 

greywanderer7 wrote:
Once there was a time in which people actually took Batushka seriously, mostly due to their gimmick and stage paraphernalia, but with the split and subsequent drama, they became the laughing stock of the Internet. Seeing Krysiuk trying to carry on and managing to secure a deal with Metal Blade despite the massive backlash was as embarassing as it was fun.

This band was always bad and I hope people realize that.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:36 am 

Chinese_Whispers wrote:
Some would say it's bandwagoning, or trying to appeal to a larger audience, or selling out. It's old as dirt. Some groups get away with significant overhauls in their sound, others don't. Expectation is a prison.

I'll go out on a limb and say that occurs because there are many, many ways to significantly overhaul your sound, and many varying degrees of success in that. And while I will never deny a certain degree of moronic gatekeeping, bandwagoning definitely exists as well - just ask Robb Flynn.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 pm 

I love Shining's music, but Kvarforth's antics deserve a mention here.

Although they wouldn't count for a single 'most embarassing point' since those incidents happen with a certain frequency.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:11 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
What's that one song from Deicide's In Torment in Hell that has simulated sex noises? On one of the band's worst and most pointless albums especially that was utterly laughable.

As I read in an interview 15 years ago all Deicide albums since Insineratehymn were recorded only to execute Roadrunner contract terms.

I remember how shitty was last Cemetary album called Phantasma.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:16 am 

greywanderer7 wrote:
I love Shining's music, but Kvarforth's antics deserve a mention here.

Although they wouldn't count for a single 'most embarassing point' since those incidents happen with a certain frequency.

He's a piece of shit. Typically I feel a little compassion for cringelords who get overly fucking angry at the most insignificant little thing that doesn't go their way, but he's such a bad human being in general, I can't even care about him. He says he hopes people will kill themselves listening to his music. If he offed himself I really wouldn't care one bit. The world would most likely be a better place if he did.

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:56 am 

Easy. Bethlehem are one of my favourite bands. I love every album they've released, save for one glaring shit stain on their brilliant discography.
In 2009 Jürgen Bartsch had the brilliant idea to remaster and remix their amazing S.U.I.Z.I.D. album, get black metal suicide clown niklas Kvntforth to re-record the vocals, and release it with the idiotic title "A Sacrificial Offering to the Kingdom of Heaven in a Cracked Dog's Ear". How this idea ever came to fruition is beyond me. It was an epic failure. I am so grateful that after this terrible album dropped, ol' nick got the boot and Bethlehem got back on track.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:55 am 

Endarkening wrote:
Easy. Bethlehem are one of my favourite bands. I love every album they've released, save for one glaring shit stain on their brilliant discography.
In 2009 Jürgen Bartsch had the brilliant idea to remaster and remix their amazing S.U.I.Z.I.D. album, get black metal suicide clown niklas Kvntforth to re-record the vocals, and release it with the idiotic title "A Sacrificial Offering to the Kingdom of Heaven in a Cracked Dog's Ear". How this idea ever came to fruition is beyond me. It was an epic failure. I am so grateful that after this terrible album dropped, ol' nick got the boot and Bethlehem got back on track.

I'm a Bethlehem casual fan for many many years now, and I quite liked that album for what it is, without any comparisons to the original.
On the same breath, I also quite enjoyed Fear Factory's both remixed electronic albums, namely Fear Is The Mindkiller and Remanufacture, and have enjoyed them both for what they are without trying comparing them to the originals. Try it some time, it's fun.

Timeghoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:18 pm 

Forbidden - Green. From technical thrash, to downtuned chugging metal. I couldn't believe I wasted any time or money when this came out. I had to make sure some shithead didn't slip a Mudvayne tape in the case. What a total nosedive in technicality and sound. I actually was kind of surprised there were people that praised it in the reviews section of this website.

Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Last edited by Timeghoul on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
greywanderer7 wrote:

I loved the first Batushka album, but post-drama reflection has made me wonder whether they could have kept expanding on their sound and theme even if everything stayed together. Much as I like the sound, it's a bit narrow and hard to build from. It wouldn't sound as bad as what we got (especially Krysiuk's trash) obviously, but I could see a lot of "this is good, but it's more of the same"-style reviews.

(Almost like what's happening with the new Obsequiae album, interestingly enough...)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:13 pm 

Timeghoul wrote:
Forbidden - Green. From technical thrash, to downtuned chugging metal. I couldn't believe I wasted any time or money when this came out. I had to make sure some shithead didn't slip a Mudvayne tape in the case. What a total nosedive in technicality and sound. I actually was kind of surprised their were people that praised it in the reviews section of this website.

Good pick. This was indeed a HORRIBLE album.

One of the worst metal albums ever made by great musicians.

I seem to remember "Turns to Rage" being good though.

Tim Calvert should've been allowed to write the whole thing.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:04 pm 

I remember Sadus doing some kind of nu/groove metal abortion in the late 2000's, and I listened to a couple tracks and went "Baaah! This is what happened to the band that did "Illusions (Chemical Exposure) and "Swallowed in Black?" And had the bass player who was in maybe 50 different bands?? What the fuck am I listening to?" I don't know if Sadus even still exists honestly; and I lost track of which band Steve is currently playing with.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
greywanderer7 wrote:

I loved the first Batushka album, but post-drama reflection has made me wonder whether they could have kept expanding on their sound and theme even if everything stayed together. Much as I like the sound, it's a bit narrow and hard to build from. It wouldn't sound as bad as what we got (especially Krysiuk's trash) obviously, but I could see a lot of "this is good, but it's more of the same"-style reviews.

(Almost like what's happening with the new Obsequiae album, interestingly enough...)

I can see why people would enjoy that first album, but to me it just seemed like small change gimmick stuff really. I didn't really find it exciting past like one song, really. Obsequiae sounded good and much of the extreme metal you and I both like sounds much better to me really.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 am 

The first Batushka is not as awful as some state, but it's far from a masterpiece and in no way a milestone or a game changer. My main problem is that it gets old very, very fast; it has other flaws (sterile production, poor harsh vocals) but that's my main gripe.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:

Stratovarius made a complete shitshow in the brief period between Kotipelto leaving (allegedly replaced by that Miss K character) and Tolkki fucking off.

That whole period was weird. Of course, it turned out Tolkki was suffering from depression, IIRC, or something like that, but when you looked at that whole thing from the outside, it was downright bizarre.

How about Wintersun, that whole "finance my house with sauna thing guys, it'll inspire me"?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:22 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I remember Sadus doing some kind of nu/groove metal abortion in the late 2000's, and I listened to a couple tracks and went "Baaah! This is what happened to the band that did "Illusions (Chemical Exposure) and "Swallowed in Black?" And had the bass player who was in maybe 50 different bands?? What the fuck am I listening to?" I don't know if Sadus even still exists honestly; and I lost track of which band Steve is currently playing with.

You're thinking of Out for Blood.

It's a good album actually, especially if you're willing to overlook lyrics and/or a couple of tracks.

I'm happy to put it against new bands like Havok anyday.

Sadus were supposedly working on a new album a few years ago but that appears to have petered out, probably due to Steve joining Testament full-time.

~Guest 653788
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:25 pm 

Basically, any time a band has posed in the ‘standard metal shot’ position for any photo.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:04 pm 

So Steve is with Testament full time now. I knew he played with them for a while. That's cool. I sort of like newer Testament. When they did "Practice what you Preach" though, I was a bit disappointed, as I thought it was too much of a "lets be like Metallica's black album and release our own version of a mainstream metal album." And hence, my interest in them waned for a few albums.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:42 am 

I loved Sadus' Illusions, being an album that blew my mind in my formative years as an extreme metal aficionado, and yet, I also think Our For Blood was a damn fine comeback album for Sadus. Never understood the negative feedback it was receiving. Still don't.

Cancer's Black Faith was a cold slap to my face when it had been released, after several years of silence since The Sins Of Mankind. I was anxiously looking forward to hearing what they had up their sleeve, only to find out this indigestible piece of sonic turd was all they could come up with. Oh, the disappointment. Never wanted to hear anything else by them, like ever.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:28 am 

Substantia_Nigrae wrote:
Cancer's Black Faith was a cold slap to my face when it had been released, after several years of silence since The Sins Of Mankind. I was anxiously looking forward to hearing what they had up their sleeve, only to find out this indigestible piece of sonic turd was all they could come up with. Oh, the disappointment. Never wanted to hear anything else by them, like ever.

The latest, Shadow Gripped, was actually pretty decent.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:33 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
So Steve is with Testament full time now. I knew he played with them for a while. That's cool. I sort of like newer Testament. When they did "Practice what you Preach" though, I was a bit disappointed, as I thought it was too much of a "lets be like Metallica's black album and release our own version of a mainstream metal album." And hence, my interest in them waned for a few albums.

Never really understood this, PWYP always sounds to me like just a mid-paced thrash record, not a Black Album-esque shift in sound. It's still firmly rooted in thrash songwriting conventions, features skank beats from time to time, and Billy even growls at certain points. It also came out two years before TBA so quite clearly that wasn't the inspiration. The Ritual was the "let's make a Metallica style mainstream album" release.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 am 

Bathory's "Octagon".

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:43 am 

Substantia_Nigrae wrote:

Actually, Black Faith came out only two years after The Sins of Mankind. Unless you didn't actually discover Black Faith until a few years after it dropped and discovered The Sins of Mankind as a new release.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2