Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:51 pm 

As an attempt to salvage this thread from the sheer fucking idiocy its now drowning in, has anyone come back to any of Sean's works and had an interest rekindled in some of his bands, namely Cynic? I spent some time going through their discography and was really surprised just how poignant and well-executed his percussion is, especially on Traced in Air, which I couldn't previously recall. I still haven't gone through the last album he did with Cynic before he left, but it's great to relive these albums and see just how much of an impact he had behind the kit.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:25 pm 

Gordian Knot's Emergent wants a word with you Gunther. ;)

maladie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:43 am 

Emergent is definitely some of the best work he's done. Honestly, I don't get why both Gordian Knot albums are so underrated.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:25 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
As an attempt to salvage this thread from the sheer fucking idiocy its now drowning in, has anyone come back to any of Sean's works and had an interest rekindled in some of his bands, namely Cynic? I spent some time going through their discography and was really surprised just how poignant and well-executed his percussion is, especially on Traced in Air, which I couldn't previously recall. I still haven't gone through the last album he did with Cynic before he left, but it's great to relive these albums and see just how much of an impact he had behind the kit.

I still need to hear the remix/rework of Traced In Air. Always thought that the production was terrible on that release.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:08 pm 

The rework of Traced In Air was pointless. They just made everything sound cleaner and stereotypical prog metally. They also removed the harsh vocals because I guess it didn't fit where the band was at in 2019 - which is fine, but I'm not a fan of these kind of retroactive changes.

Sedition and Pockets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:04 pm 

I've been going back to the demos a lot. I liked Cynic a little more feral.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am 

I finally got around to trying out more of the later Cynic material as well as his outside projects. I liked Traced in Air better than I remembered and got a lot out of Kindly Bent to Free Us. The material I heard from Gordian Knot and Aeon Spoke was really great as well.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 pm 

Too young, R.I.P. Nothing tells you you're getting old more than watching all the people around you & your favorite musicians die one by one.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:24 pm 

Thoughts on the works of Sean Reinert:

Sean had a HUGE influence on metal drummers in the 90s, and I think was one of the key people who pushed metal (certainly death metal) to exploring more technical ground.

His double bass playing on the "Human" album was the fastest and tightest I had heard at that time. I remember me and my friends freaking out watching the video for "Lack of Comprehension" where he plays that double bass/double ride/hi-hat thing: :eek:

I remember Sean being an inspiration to so many drummers, to the point where I remember one drummer in particular even styling his hair like Sean during those "Human" years.

I can name SO many bands who started doing that "clean jazz break" in the middle of their heavy music, and that can without a doubt be traced back to Cynic's "Focus". The way Cynic did it too … it wasn't phony. It was guys who could REALLY PLAY jazz, not simply metalheads who just dabbled in it a little bit. The difference was obvious.

The first show my band Temple of Blood ever played, we included a Death song from Sean's era because our drummer was such a huge fan. It wasn't an easy fit for our style, as we had to bring onstage a guest vocalist to do the death vocals and I refused to tune down to D but I definitely wanted to encourage him on his path to copy Sean's playing as much as possible.

I had been holding out hope that Sean and Jason Gobel would collaborate on something heavy and true to what old Cynic was about, and things along these lines were hinted at by Jason. My dream was that they would play with Tony Choy again. It's very sad to me that neither this nor anything else will happen from Sean, and his passing was far too soon.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3