Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Agony04
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:13 pm 

You can include all kinds of metal: thrash, power, prog, symphonic, and everything else! What are your top 10 metal albums?

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:28 am 

It's funny that I stumbled upon this as I was just putting my finishing touch on my top 100 albums of all time. It's all genres, but I'll filter out non-metal records an stick to my top 10 metal albums. So it goes:

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos: Slaves To Darkness
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory
Leeches of Lore - Frenzy, Ecstasy
Death - Human
Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious
Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain

I had to rearrange some stuff, but it looks like this for now. Agalloch and Bolt Thrower each hold two spots in my top 4. Even though I think The Mantle is a better album than Pale Folklore, I have a deeper attachment to Pale Folklore, hence the fact that PF took 4th spot in there. The Mantle is actually my 11th place, so just short of making it in the top 10. Ashes is my favorite record, most likely forever. It's a masterpiece.

Bolt Thrower was such a magnificient band, I know it's crazy that I have three records out of my top 10 by them, but I'm not even exagerating on how much I love their music.

My top 10 shows my strong love for death metal in general, even without Bolt Thrower's records: Altered Genesis is a modern death metal masterpiece. Everyone should check it out at least once. And both Necroticism and Human are classics of the genre and game changers.

Some stoner doom sneaked in there. Sleep's Holy Mountain is a personnal favorite of the genre :)

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:16 am 

With the oceanic amounts of albums that matter to me i feel like a criminal to limit the mentions to only 10.
Lots of my listens will not be represented, but i'll try to do a list:

Amorphis - Elegy
Sigh - Imaginary Soniscape
Enslaved - Vertebrae
Enslaved - Frost
Spite Extreme Wing - Vltra
Ulver - Bergatt
Pharaoh - Be Gone
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

I could write a paper for each of those albums but i'll be quick: Elegy, Imaginary Soniscape and Vertebrae to me are the pinnacle of creativity within the metal genre, each album is as ambitious as otherwordly

Enslaved are such a good band that i feel i could put Below The Lights at the same place, but i settled for Frost, wich is still the coldest thing ever. Just the intro of Svarte Vidder should be enough to murder most band's careers

SEW's Vltra is black metal's most underrated album, a glorious onslaught of absolutely epic riffs with some great lyrics. Bergtatt takes you to a journey and stops only when the last song ends

To me Be Gone is the pinnacle of power metal, Mindcrime the pinnacle of 80's heavy and Fates Warning the highest point of prog metal

Atheist ends the list. The guitars on that album are at the level i aspire to reach, the melody, aggression and complexity is still unmatched to me

Also i feel the need to mention Rust in Peace because it is the most influential album to me as a guitar player, and it teached me more than 1000 hours of lessons

Despite not being represented on the list most of Bathory's output changed my perspective on music and cemented my lifelong love for metal. Deathcrush is the filthiest album ever made by man, Pagan Terrorism Tactics the saddest one and The Great Mass the best attempt at symphonic metal yet.

Last edited by Morn Of Solace on Sat May 23, 2020 6:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:17 am 

Oh, almost impossible to cover everything, but I'll try:

1. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath: the complete package of everything you ever wanted. Wailing ghost guitars born out of Schenker, Sabbath, Roth and Priest. King Diamond's most spectral performance and complete conviction in the lyrics. Grabber and Ruzz are the ultimate "70's rhythm section in the 80s"; they groove, they swing, they lead, the orchestrate! Lyrically, it's a mixture of strange European folklore, Hammer Horror and King's dabbling with the occult. Perfect sonics, perfect performances, every song is a classic.

2. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Master of Reality, Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Mob Rules. I really can't pick so I just have to cheat on this one. You probably know why, they all rule. They're all so vital and exciting.

3. Motorhead - Overkill It's just such a burning, hard-rocking record. You really can't fuck with any of it. Its energy just explodes out of your speakers and the interplay between the three of them is absolutely stellar.

4. Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark an absolute revelation (of doom!) record, that introduced a deeper and darker evil. This made a massive impression on me as a 14-year-old and continues to do so today. Of course, all the surrounding records are brilliant, but this one occupies a special place (in hell).

5. Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian swarthy black guitar tones, living, breathing, orchestrated drums, wailing, ghostly vocals, burning, searing lead guitars. Magic from start to finish; it grows and grows on you and then it grows some more. The peak of power metal escapism.

6. Trouble - Psalm 9 A tour-de-force (which is French for "fuck me") album. It's almost like they set out to show off how damn good they are. Apparently once described by Henry Rollins as like "a sky just before a terrible storm". I think that's a highly appropriate description.

7. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny Okay, so the drums are kinda ropey. But it's the most powerful, thematically consistent, progressive, awe-inspiring, revolutionary album they ever made. Such a huge leap forward.

8. Darkthrone - Panzerfaust pure, concentrated blackness - one of those incredible "journey" records. Nocturno Culto's drunken vocals are a deal-breaker here. Very closely followed by Under a Funeral Moon.

9. Running Wild - Death or Glory - a break-neck journey through the horrors of the history pages. Delivered with a "boys' own" adventure zeal and stunning atmospherics.

10. Venom - Black Metal incredibly important for my musical journey and just a fucking ripping record. Some might say they were "schlocky" but I think they came dangerously close here... TO HELL!

Spoiler: show
Other mandatory essentials for everyone: Mental Funeral, Deicide, King of the Dead, The Spectre Within, several other Motorhead albums, Be Forewarned, Iron Maiden, Killers, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Gates to Purgatory, Better Off Dead, In the Sign of Evil, The Obsessed, Lunar Womb, Saint Vitus, Det Som Engang Far, Filosofem, Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, The Astral Sleep, Lightning to the Nations, Welcome to Hell, Strong Arm of the Law, Hail to England, Into Glory Ride, Blazon Stone, Stronger than Heaven, Stained Class, Abigail, Mystification, The Deluge, Crystal Logic, Open the Gates, Hell Awaits, Show No Mercy, Reign in Blood, Ritual, Pentagram, Melissa, Ride the Lightning, Rising, Machine Head, In Rock, The Sun of Tipareth, Third Storm of Cythraul, The Rack, Legion, Blood Fire Death, Desir de Vampyr, Nightfall, Retaliation, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying, Crimson Glory, Dark Quarterer, Unchain the Wolves, Infernal Overkill, Pleasure to Kill, The Chemical Wedding, Master of Puppets, Eternal Nightmare, Left Hand Path, Like an Everflowing Stream, Bonded by Blood, Hordanes Land, Thousand Swords, Antichrist, Nosferatu, Ample Destruction, Walls of Jericho, Onward to Golgotha, Screaming for Vengeance, De Mysteriis Dom Satanas, Altars of Madness, The Nocturnal Silence, The Aria of Vernal Tombs, Battle Cry, Feel the Fire, The Years of Decay, Day of Reckoning, The Skull, Pokoli színjáték, Anno Domini, The Warning, Fire Down Under, Thundersteel, Nom Serviam, Tokyo Tapes, Scorn Defeat, New Dark Age, Sortilege, Killing Technology and hundreds of others.

Heavy metal rules!

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:21 am 

From the top of my head and in alphabetical order:

Chaos Echoes - Transient
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Esoteric - A Phyrric Existence
Gris - A L'Âme Enflammée, L'Âme Constellée...
Katharsis - World Without End
Neurosis - Times of Grace
Sinmara - Apothic Womb
Svartidaudi - Flesh Cathedral
Teitanblood - Death
Ulcerate - Shrines of Paralysis

Bonus tracks:

Kayo Dot - Hubardo
Maudlin of the Well - Bath/Leaving Your Body Map/The Secret Song

Choosing an Esoteric album was hard, both A Phyrric Existence and The Maniacal Vale are excellent. I also wasn't sure about Shrines of Paralysis or Stare Into Death and Be Still but I finally decided to pick Shrines of Paralysis. Let's see what happens when the novelty of Stare Into Death and Be Still wears off. My favourite Katharsis album also changes every week or so and I think Fourth Reich is every bit as good as World Without End. The rest of them were easy picks and I decided to include 2 more albums.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:04 am 

It's tough to judge, I can't make exactly 10, here's my unholy 13, in a chronological order:

Bathory - "The Return......"
Celtic Frost - "To Mega Therion"
Burzum - "Burzum"
Darkthrone - "Transilvanian Hunger"
Mayhem - "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas"
Bethlehem - "Dark Metal"
Silencer - "Death - Pierce Me"
Primordial - "The Gathering Wilderness"
Horna - "Envaatnags Eflos Solf Esgantaavne"
Shining - "V - Halmstad"
Behexen - "My Soul For His Glory"
Blut Aus Nord - "777 - Sect(s)"
Sargeist - "Feeding The Crawling Shadows"

snarg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 am 

In no specific order.

Ulcerate - Shrines of Paralysis (might be surpassed by the new one but not enough time to tell yet)
Thy Primordial - The Heresy of an Age of Reason
Enthroned - Xes Haereticum
Autokrator - Hammer of the Heretics
Archspire - Relentless Mutation
Doom:VS - Dead Words Speak
Wiegedood - De Doden Heben het Goed
Asphagor - The Cleansing
Vitriol - To Bathe from the Throat of Cowardice
Mourning Beloveth - Dust

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:28 am 

Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Still get blown away whenever I listen to this. Incredible melodies and atmosphere throughout - Tagtgren's production is perfect.

Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
I heard this after Follow the Reaper, and the production felt dry and the performances more rigid and mechanical in comparison. I came to really appreciate it though, and the songwriting and melodies are just as good as its successor.

Kreator - Coma of Souls
An absolute riff fest, with some very impressive solos as well.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
My favourite Maiden album changes a lot between this, Piece of Mind and Brave New World. This has got some classics, some great deeper cuts and a few songs that are usually classed as weak but I think are awesome ("Gangland", "Invaders"). A pefect introduction for Bruce, and farewell for Clive.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning
A massive step up from Kill 'Em All (which in itself was very good) and showed just what Metallica were capable of. The first half in particular is spectacular.

Edguy - Hellfire Club
Another band where my favourite changes a lot (Mandrake and Rocket Ride are the close calls). Ridiculously catchy stuff, and my vote for best power metal album.

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
There's a reason people revere Randy Rhoads so much. His playing is amazing, and his songwriting partnership with Bob Daisley and Ozzy produced exceptional results. I just give this the edge over Diary of a Madman.

Type O Negative - World Coming Down
Crushing and beautiful in equal measure. As far as the Type O canon goes, this is the best out of a very, very good bunch.

Fear Factory - Obsolete
This struck the perfect balance between the heavy and melodic facets of their sound.

Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Ozzy's at his vocal peak here, Iommi is killing it as always, and there's a healthy mix of epics, riff driven tracks and more experimental stuff.

A mention to Zakk Wylde's Book of Shadows here - on the archives but it's not a metal album, which is why I didn't include it in my top 10.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 am 

Needless to say this is a hard task. You always forget some jewel. All of these have been with me a long time. Possible, that something creeps to the list when years pass.

Bathory - Hammerheart
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son...
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
King Diamond - Abigail
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:57 am 

Atheist – Unquestionable Presence
Bolt Thrower – …For Victory
Demilich – Nespithe
Immortal – Pure holocaust
Iron Maiden – Piece of Mind
Manowar – Into Glory Ride
Morbid Angel – Altars of Madness
Necrophobic – The Nocturnal Silence
Summoning – Dol Guldur
Therion – Beyond Sanctorum

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:14 am 

Damn, nobody gave a memo to OP that its not a good idea to make a 50 y/o guy to think this early in a morning? lol

But Hell with it, why not!

10. Iron Maiden- S/T: I am probably one of four people in a world who prefers Di Anno's material over Bruce's. Those two early albums are just grittier to me and they rock without even trying too hard and feel more genuine.

9. Mayhem- "De Mysteriis Dom Satanas": The only BM album on this list thanks to Attila who is really a crucial force here holding it all together. I can't actually believe that some folks are saying that he's a weakest link .

8. Suffocation- "Pierced From Within": Easily a top 5 DM albums of all time. The production on this is freaking incredible! Its like a poster boy for an immensely brutal yet totally listenable DM.

7. Entombed- "Clandestine": This is so angry and dark with venomous vocals. The buzzing riffs are absolutely crushing. The album that is often imitated but never equaled...and unfortunately that includes themselves!

6. Death- "Spiritual Healing": This is where Chuck truly hit a sweet spot for me. A pure OSDM gold that I wish continued for a couple more albums before going all-out prog.

5. Slayer- "Show No Mercy": Much like Maiden I prefer this over any other of theirs for its honest unbridled enthusiasm. Best Thrash album...EVER!

4. Judas Priest- "Sin After Sin": Its hard to believe it came out in 1977. Such a spectrum of styles and moods. Beats a Hell out of me why this album is considered sort of a dark horse in Priest's discography.

3. Immolation- "Unholy Cult": A band that is impossible to imitate thanks to the wickedly disturbing music senses of one and only Robert Vigna. Its so dark and cold...yet I can't get enough of it!

2. Morbid Angel- "Covenant": This is just superb DM! The double assault of "Rapture" and "Pain Divine" is a best 1-2 opening punch in extreme metal.

1. King Diamond- "Conspiracy": Combination of a haunting beauty and brutality. Its wicked, twisted, harrowing. Probably King's best vocal range and LaRocque's top-notch guitar wizardly. Forever #1!

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 am 

Xytras71 wrote:
Damn, nobody gave a memo to OP that its not a good idea to make a 50 y/o guy to think this early in a morning? lol
10. Iron Maiden- S/T: I am probably one of four people in a world who prefers Di Anno's material over Bruce's. Those two early albums are just grittier to me and they rock without even trying too hard and feel more genuine.

4. Judas Priest- "Sin After Sin": Its hard to believe it came out in 1977. Such a spectrum of styles and moods. Beats a Hell out of me why this album is considered sort of a dark horse in Priest's discography.!

I've got an ancient pressing of Sin After Sin, fuzzy and scratchy with age, and I think it adds to the atmosphere of the album. Totally agree that it's one of their best. I also agree that sometimes you just want Di Anno to snarl & spit at you, and less of the proto-power metal - more of a blood & beer kinda mood !

Mine is probably won't reflect my last/fm profile or anything, but here we go - based on thing I've listened to faaaar too much, but yet not enough, over the last couple of decades. It's heavily weighted to non-extreme metal, because these are the albums I'll put on and enjoy in any situation, that will bring me up when it's needed, that I'll roll down the windows on the old land rover for. Black metal is fun and all, but isn't ever going to make this list for me, I don't think.

A good thread might be "what are your top ten post-2000 albums" - it's far harder to put that list together !

1 - Maiden - Seventh Son
2 - Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
3 - Sabbath - Master of Reality
4 - Priest - Defenders of the Faith
5 - WASP - Crimson Idol
6 - Helloween - Keeper I
7 - WASP - The Last Command
8 - Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood
9 - Maiden - Fear of the Dark
10 - Saxon - Denim & Leather

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:39 am 

No particular order:

DRI - Dealing With It!
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Megadeth - Peace Sells, But Who's Buying?
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Flower Travellin' Band - Satori
Night Sun - Mournin'
Legend (UK) - Legend
Deep Purple - In Rock

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:57 am 

This is almost possible, but I'll try. No real order.

Wasp - The Crimson Idol
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Cloven Hoof - Cloven Hoof
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Solstice - New Dark Age
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Running Wild - Death or Glory
Angel Witch - Angel Witch

Honourable mentions to Hell's Human Remains, My Dying Brides Turn Loose the Swans, Scorpions Taken by Force, Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Anathema's Pentecost III.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:58 am 

MOST of my list will be pure nostalgia, because I find it near impossible to rank an album I've known and loved for 3-5 years along side ones that have been weaved through my entire life, with numerous memories, stories and experiences tied to them. However, there are a couple released in the last 7 years. My list isn't very kvlt. Everyone knows all these records. It even surprised me that Judas Priest and Slayer didn't make the list. If I could expand to a top 20, I'd be able to include some of my other clear favourites.

1. Opeth - Blackwater Park
2. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
3. Anathema - Weather Systems
4. Mgła - Exercises In Futility
5. Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
6. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
7. In Flames - Clayman
8. Falconer - Falconer
9. Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
10. Dio - Holy Diver

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:39 am 

I haven't thought much about ranking them beyond the Top 2 in years, but I'll give this a shot:

1. Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare - There's no better compilation of riffs in existence than this record. The vocals are completely mad and suit the chaotic nature of the music. Vio-lence is also one of the only thrash bands that understands groove, and Perry Strickland kills it on this record with these huge groove spots.

2. Slayer - Reign in Blood - This flips back and forth with Eternal Nightmare for my favourite, but either way, it is a similarly great collection of riffs. The songs are far better and more memorable than I think people give them credit for. Stuff like Necrophobic and Altar of Sacrifice are some of Slayer's coolest songs!

3. Dragonforce - Valley of the Damned - Even though this record wasn't quite as extreme as the next few, it's a much superior blend of songwriting and over the top musicianship. There's a surprising amount of variety, and everything is eternally catchy. Also, probably the most underrated part of this album is how ridiculously good the bass playing was. I have no idea what this dude has done elsewhere in his career, but he killed it on this album.

4. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime - Concept albums are pretty challenging to pull off, but Queensryche have created something that feels incredibly relevant 30+ years later that is littered with great songs. Interludes typically make albums worse, but this might be the only exception because they enhance the journey on this record. Also, Geoff Tate's vocal performance here is probably the best in metal (matched only by Sean Killian on that Vio-lence record).

5. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell - Though I wouldn't consider Sabbath one of my favourite bands, everything just went right on this album. Tony Iommi actually became a much better soloist in this era than he was on the first few Sabbath records, and many of these songs let him shine. The bass playing is top-notch, and though somewhat simple, it shows that Geezer really knew what he was doing.

As I look at the rest of my favourite albums, most of them are from bands where one album doesn't stand significantly above the rest. There are a few exceptions (Labyrinth's Return to Heaven Denied, Twilightning's Delirium Veil, etc.), but I'm not sure they're worthy of the top 10. If I had to really try to pick 5 more, I would go with Exodus - Bonded By Blood, Scanner - Terminal Earth, Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance, Metallica - Kill 'em All, and Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare. I don't feel as strongly about any of those records as I do the first 5 though.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:10 pm 

Love seeing a mention for Return To Heaven Denied. A Great power metal records.

I just remembered now that Thin Lizzy is on the archives, and that would mean Jailbreak would be up in my top 7. I still don't consider that a metal record, however, I do think they belong on the archives. So yeah, wow, I guess I'd have to bump Dio out of my top 10, which seems criminal. Just listened to jailbreak in full yesterday, too. It was 27 degrees here, and it's a perfect summer walking album.

BodomSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:18 pm 

This is a fun idea. Let's give this a go, in no particular order:

Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice
Aborted - The Necrotic Manifesto
Panopticon - Roads to the North
Opeth - Still Life
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast (original version)
Cattle Decapitation - The Anthropocene Extinction
FIN - Refutable Arts of the Noble Reserve
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
In Flames - Colony

BodomSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
From the top of my head and in alphabetical order:

Chaos Echoes - Transient
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Esoteric - A Phyrric Existence
Gris - A L'Âme Enflammée, L'Âme Constellée...
Katharsis - World Without End
Neurosis - Times of Grace
Sinmara - Apothic Womb
Svartidaudi - Flesh Cathedral
Teitanblood - Death
Ulcerate - Shrines of Paralysis

Bonus tracks:

Kayo Dot - Hubardo
Maudlin of the Well - Bath/Leaving Your Body Map/The Secret Song

Choosing an Esoteric album was hard, both A Phyrric Existence and The Maniacal Vale are excellent. I also wasn't sure about Shrines of Paralysis or Stare Into Death and Be Still but I finally decided to pick Shrines of Paralysis. Let's see what happens when the novelty of Stare Into Death and Be Still wears off. My favourite Katharsis album also changes every week or so and I think Fourth Reich is every bit as good as World Without End. The rest of them were easy picks and I decided to include 2 more albums.

Nice choices with Sinmara and Svartidaudi. I love the sound of the Icelandic Black Metal scene.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Love seeing a mention for Return To Heaven Denied. A Great power metal records.

It's funny how I didn't even like it when I first bought it. I thought it was boring and unmemorable, and now I consider it to be one of the pinnacles of power metal. I saw the band play the whole album live at ProgPower 2018 and got Roberto/Olaf/Anders to sign my copy! I honestly listen to it all the time now :D

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:29 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare

Love the Coop, but I'm not sure I'd consider this a metal album.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:42 pm 

I’m gonna assume that “top 10 albums” can include demos, live albums, and a four-way tie for tenth place extending the total to 13. Most need no explanation, but for a few I’ll pump the tires of lesser known bands:
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Twisted Tower Dire - Crest of the Martyrs The best power metal of the 2000s. Roaring vocals, rousing anthemic melodies and cool quasi-medieval themes. The re-recording of “The Witch’s Eyes” is my favourite bonus track ever too!
Operation Winter Mist - Imperial Grand Strategy War-themed black metal, though not exactly “war metal”. Pounding yet memorable songs, and I really love the thicker, deeper take on black metal vocals.
Bathory - Hammerheart
Чёрный Кофе - Вольному-воля Great Soviet-era heavy metal from Russia. Varshavksy’s voice reaches and sustains fantastic range, plus the instrumental “Nostalgia” reminds me of someone who was once very close to me.
Sodom - Persecution Mania
Arakain - XXV Eden A triumphant celebration of Arakain’s 25th anniversary, featuring the Plzen Philharmonic and a welcome guest spot by founding singer Ales Brichta. Lucie Bila has a remarkably gruff voice too. There’s all kinds of great stuff here: short fast thrashers like “”Gilotina” and “Kolonie Termitou”., majestic symphonic odes like “Pul Stoleti” and “Apage Satanas”. A band that needs to be recognized.
Branikald - Stormheit Good old Branikald from before their nazi politics seeped into the music on the “Life Removed from Lives Unworthy” album. Stormheit is just a relentless slog through bracing Siberian desolation. In every way, the distant howl of the vocals over the flat windy recording quality, and the endless simple riffs... astounding.
Divlje Jagode - Carobnjaci The kings of Yugoslav 80s metal, whose guitarist declined an invitation to join Whitesnake. Good decision, because it would have been a shame to lose this band. Fun singalong choruses, blazing solos, it’s an unforgettable album.
Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction Fierce Aussie thrash with a perfect balance of breakneck speed and mid-paced epics. The guitar intro to “Lebanon” somehow manages to feel middle-eastern - hard to explain, check it out yourselves!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:53 pm 

Kamelot - The Black Halo
The Gathering - Nighttime Birds
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace
Type O Negative - October Rust
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World
Moonspell - Irreligious
Therion - Secret of the Runes
Immortal - Pure Holocaust

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:17 pm 

Been along time since I thought about "top albums" or "favorite bands" as they change all the time, or depend on moods. But 10 albums I always loved through many years and never get tired of =

Dissection - Storm Of The Lights Bane
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Morgana Lefay - Maleficium
Immortal - At The Heart Of Winter
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Rammstein - Mutter
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Enslaved - Below The Lights
Hypocrisy - Abducted or S/T

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:29 pm 

In order:

1. Exivious - Exivious
For me this is the most beautiful, soothing & interesting album in existence. Highly impressive overall instrumentation that never sounds like wankery. It has audible bass (and the basslines are phenomenal), face-melting solo's that can literally make me cry, and the songwriting is perfect. Furthermore it just has this atmosphere that gives me a feeling that no other album can.

2. Exivious - Liminal
A different masterpiece by the same band, Liminal explores vastly different ideas due to the band members contributing more equally to the songwriting (The s/t album was mainly composed by musical genius Tymon Kruidenier). It was actually really hard for me to decide whether I like Liminal or Exivious more. For now I have settled on Exivious, though in the future Liminal might take the number one spot. Both albums are absolutely flawless, making it come down to personal preference.

3. Virvum - Illuminance
My very favorite tech-death album which, if I were to live up to my username, would be in the number one spot, but unfortunately Exivious came and made something that I like more than my favorite album in my favorite genre. Enough about Exivious though, Illuminance is a stellar mix of technicality and melody, which would make any album automatically enjoyable, but to top it off the songwriting is great and there is never any wankery going on. Just a beautiful & intense album.

4. Ne Obliviscaris - Urn
When I just discovered this one, it was my favorite album & I literally couldn't stop listening to it. In fact I listened to it so much that I don't really enjoy it anymore, which is why it has dropped to 4th place. Still, my first listens to this album were some of the best moments of my life.

5. Persefone - Spiritual Migration
This album is so intensely melodic, it's insane. Might be a bit too long, but the best songs are mindblowing, goosebump-inducing melo/progdeath masterpieces.

6. Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
This one was my number 1 for a long time. All the riffs are amazing, and there's so many of them. Mameli might be a cunt (in part for literally calling himself a death metal god) but I do think that he is in fact a death metal god. Uterwijk shouldn't be forgotten though, as he too contributed a great deal to the many great riffs & solo's. Also love van Drunen's vocals & Foddis' drumming.

7. The Red Chord - Fused Together in Revolving Doors
One of my favorite genre-combinations (technical deathgrind) executed to perfection. Heavy as shit, spastic songwriting & a very interesting vocalist/lyricist. Has some beautiful melodic moments as well.

8. Vektor - Recharging the Void
Some of my all-time favourite guitarwork on this one. Well over an hour of intense riffs & melodies backed up by some solid drumming. I love the vocals, too.

9. Skinless - Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead
Man, I remember when I first listened to this, I thought it was so fucking cool (which it is). Brutal death with amazing grooves and probably the best production job I've ever heard.

10. Pagan Altar - Mythical & Magical
This is very different from what I normally listen to, but it's just so good. Alan Jones is a guitar god and I've grown to enjoy Terry's vocals.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm 

My Top 10 is more like a Top 20 for reasons. Here I goooo~

1. Mary's Blood - Countdown to Evolution/Bloody Palace
Two albums? Get ready for more of that--this list would consist of, like, 4 bands if I didn't consolidate them. But anyway, yep, these certainly are my favorite albums from my favorite band, and the only downsides are those lame one-minute album intros that no one needs, wants, or likes.

2. Nightwish - Oceanborn/Wishmaster
These are the albums that got me into metal, and they still hold a special place in my heart to this day. Being full of excellent songs helps a lot, too. "Swanheart" will probably always be my favorite thing Nightwish has ever done, alongside "Pharaoh Sails to Orion" and that section from the 11-minute to 17-minute mark on "The Greatest Show on Earth."

3. Timeless Miracle - Into the Enchanted Chamber
Deliciously cheesy, and I'm dying over here waiting for its sequel. Come onnnnnnnn, already!

4. Within Temptation - Mother Earth/The Silent Force
Discovered mere days after Nightwish, these albums are equally formative to my metal odyssey. I am really sad that nothing else out there sounds like these albums, especially Mother Earth, because I would love to have more like this. Yes, that includes all of their output around this time. Also all the rest of it. And yes, that also includes Sirenia. And The Murder of My Sweet. No one is aping Mother Earth, and that's a shame.

5. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
It's a classic. I know it, you know it, we all love it, there's no mystery here. Moving on.

6. Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Speaking of albums that don't quite have any imitators...Ecliptica! Even though their next two albums do still maintain this sound, the songwriting just never was as good as it was here. Another album I just wish someone would go out of their way to start an entire band just to worship.

7. Type O Negative - Slow, Deep, and Hard/October Rust/World Coming Down
Oh shit, it's a triple! Oh shit, it's Type O Negative! Everyone loves Type O Negative, including you!

8. King Diamond - Abigail
While those early Mercyful Fate albums are fun and atmospheric, I think King was at his best for this one. It just has the best songs and the best structure, and "Black Horsemen" is one of my favorite songs of all time. An eternal classic.

9. W.A.S.P. - The Headless Children/The Crimson Idol
Pure late 80s/early 90s disillusionment expressed through some of the best heavy metal you could ask for. It takes me right back to that time, and I was barely even alive back then, so that's a bizarre sensation. When people clamor for 80s throwback, this is the kind of thing I'd rather see more of instead of the generic purple vaporwave bubblegum crap.

10. Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World/Somewhere Far Beyond/Imaginations From the Other Side
Oh shit, son, another triple header! What can I even say about early 90s Blind Guardian? They were perfect. Fucking perfection in audio form.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:34 pm 

Bathory-Hammerheart
Suffocation-Pierced from Within
Black Sabbath-Master of Reality
Savatage-Gutter Ballet
Darkthrone-A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Moonspell-Irreligious
Kreator-Pleasure to Kill
Absu-Tara
Cannibal Corpse-Tomb of the Mutilated
Holy Terror-Mind Wars

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:06 pm 

Some of these albums are just personal favorites, without significant importance/influence on a certain subgenre or on metal music in general...

Void of Silence - Human Antithesis
The Slow Death - Ark
Shape of Despair - Shades of...
October Tide - Rain Without End
Paysage d'Hiver - Paysage d'Hiver
Menace Ruine - The Die Is Cast
Disembowelment - Transcendence into The Puripheral
Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro
Dolorian - Dolorian
Blut aus Nord - Odinist - The Destruction of Reason By Illumination

"Human Antithesis" is my all-time favorite album because there is the combination of everything that I love not only in metal genre, but also in music in general (long atmospheric songs, heaviness, acoustic neofolk-ish guitars, dark ambient, some (martial) industrial sounds, very emotional and soulful anti-war lyrics, and amazing vocal performance by the all-time favorite singer).

''Ark'' and ''The Die Is Cast'' - favorite female vocals in metal genre.

"Shades of..." - favorite combination of slowness, repetition, and dream-like atmosphere.

''Rain Without End '' - favorite combination of heaviness, melodies, and sadness/melancholy.

''Transcendence into The Puripheral'' - favorite combination of heaviness, speed, and despair.

"Paysage d'Hiver" - favorite combination of speed, repetition, and cold+desolate atmosphere.

''The Codex Necro'' - favorite combination of speed and aggression.

"Dolorian" and "Odinist" are the albums from the ''I can listen to it on repeat for hours and never get tired" category.
There is a phrase from the review on Dolorian's self-titled album that describes those kinds of metal albums:

Anyway, the real problem here is that the songs don’t have any emotions and are just flat to a point where it gets irritating. The other problem is that the same thing just keeps going on and on and on and never stops. Yet another problem is that the material is mundane to the genre and in this particular case it’s so monotonous that the album is like the background score of a movie. The songs compliment each other but at the same time can also be used as substitutes; after two listens I have no idea which is which.

I understand that it can be boring/irritating for some listeners, but all these "problems" are the main reason why I love these albums so much and listen to them so often. And I'm okay with the conclusion that my preferences in metal music are kind of boring/non-emotional these days. :)

Last edited by ~Guest 427139 on Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:10 pm 

Morgana Lefay - Grand Materia
Dark Tranquillity - Haven
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World
Riot - Thundersteel
Vicious Rumors - Digital Dictator
Metal Church - Blessing In Disguise
Dirty Looks - Cool From the Wire
Death Angel - Act III
Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World
Artillery - By Inheritance

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:25 pm 

I can hardly make a top 10 list of the best black metal albums without feeling like I'm leaving out a lot, so to broaden it to all metal is completely impossible. I tried, and failed.

MetalCrest of Darkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:26 pm 

Crest Of Darkness "The Ogress'

Cradle of Filth " Cruelty And The Beast"

Mercyful Fate "Melissa"

Mercyful Fate "Don't Break The Oath"

The Oath "The Oath"

Lucifer "Lucifer I"

Ravensthrorn "Horrors Of The Black Mass"

Witchcross "Cauldron In Satan's Shadow"

Riti Occulti "Riti Occulti"

Coven "Jinx"

Metantoine
Lazy Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:30 pm 

List threads are not interesting, some people included some comments but most will just post a top 10 without anything else, not really good for discussion.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.