Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
The next Fear Factory album, which Burton said is called Monolith. It seemed all good to go at the end of 2018 when Burt made the title announcement, but nothing has really been said since (with Dino even denying its existence). It's all down to legal issues over the band name, and I'm wondering if it's destined to never see the light of day.

I watched an interview with Dino around the time of NAMM this year, and Dino seemed optimistic about all of this being resolved.

jthompson wrote:
As just kind of a counterpoint, I can think of one that languished in unknown status for ten years, but then actually did finally come out. Virgin Black's Requiem - Pianissimo, which is the third part of a trilogy. The first two parts came out 2008 or so, and the third part just never did, despite the fact that I believe it was finished or at least close. Nothing really from the label or band, their status not even particularly clear. Then ten years after it was supposed to come out, an announcement that the band was back and then the album was actually released. I'm not sure the details are out there, but it sounded like some dissatisfaction with their label, and after 10 years their contract had expired and they were self releasing it.

Very interesting. I like Virgin Black a lot, and had noticed the gap in release time, but hadn't followed any of the drama.

vacca
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:46 pm 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
From what I understand, a significant amount of the material intended for those abandoned albums was already written by Albert. Some of it probably ended up on So Long Suckers, and it would be interesting to know how much of it has materialized on Opium Warlords albums. I'll be damned if The Self-Made Man isn't a song originally intended for RB.

Not sure about exact songs, but my understanding is that all of Albert's material originally planned for RB has been or will be reworked for OW. Peter/Kimi had also stuff written, and at least "Pillars Under Water" and "The Last of the Templars" on the Lord Vicar debut had originally been written for RB. They're even listed on the Lyrics page of the old RB website, heh. I wonder what happened to "A Grave Among the Trees"... I heard that Void had written at least one song as well, but I doubt that will materialize, as his musical endeavors since RB that I'm aware of have been on the punk side of things.

ShaunMalice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm 

New Coroner has been a long time coming - was a recent announcement about it coming this year I think? Either way looking forward to it when it arrives and unsure what to expect - probably not alone in hoping they return to the more tech/thrash style of the earlier work (No More Colours is among my favourite all time albums) - but curious to see what they put out regardless

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:27 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
The new Pharaoh album was allegedly recorded in 2018 and ready to be published by Cruz Del Sur.

After that announcement, total silence :(

I really hope something comes from that soon. I know Tim Aymar's health issues led to some delays but he seemed to be doing okay last I heard. At least Chris Black is keeping himself busy with High Spirits.

Speaking of Tim, that unreleased Control Denied album is always the first thing that comes to mind regarding this topic. I definitely held onto hope for a good while.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:04 pm 

An odd case is that Tau Cross album that got pulled by the label about a month before its planned release last year.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124444

Others that fit this thread and haven't been mentioned:
Dark Angel - reformed in 2013, an article from 2017 is about them still writing for the bew album, and in an article from 2019, Hoglan says he hope to release it in 2020...

Nasty Savage - reformed in 2016 and were to record an album during the summer that year.

Sadus - Announced new stuff in 2017. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119729

I believe Believer were to release an album. At least they halted their series of singles at 3 of 5 in 2017.

Toxik is a messy case. First recording new stuff with Mike Sanders and releasing a pre-release of the In Humanity album, then replacing Sanders with Charles Sabin and releasing the EP Breaking Clas$. Then if I remember correctly, they talked about re-recording the In Humanity stuff with Sabin (I don't know whether it was even completely recorded with Sanders) and looking for a label, or maybe they were looking for it already with Sanders... Anyway, they then released a compilation album of the newer stuff with both vocalists as well as some re-recorded and new stuff with a new one...

Watchtower released the EP Concepts of Math: Book One in 2016, but no book two... And I believe they were talking about a new full length as well, but I may be wrong.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:38 pm 

Ron Jarzombek said that it was a miracle that the Watchtower EP was even released - Mathematics is almost definitely never happening. Dark Angel might happen within the next few years, but Sadus will probably never happen with Steve's schedule.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm 

Timeless Miracle - Under the Moonlight

I...I need it. We were promised it years ago. There's been absolute silence for 3 years now.
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:49 pm 

Man I honestly forgot Timeless Miracle existed. There's a band that just up and vanished...

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:53 pm 

Definitely a worthy mention is the whole Asgard Saga/Hammer Of The Gods project by Maiowar. There were supposed to be collaborations with an author, it was supposed to be a thematic follow up to Gods Of War..... but we got Lord Of Steel instead, which is surely a pisstake.

Two power metal bands I loved/kind of followed online were Chinchilla and Heavenly. Both have mentioned new material - Chinchilla were talking about this in 2009, yet still nothing. They're not officially listed as broken up but their last album was 2005. Then they were talking about new recordings on their website/MySpace and since then there's been not a single word.

Heavenly also keep talking about new material but it's years since Carpe Diem.

And the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate DVD. He's had health issues, I get it, but 12 years now since the last album, save for a single at the end of last year.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

MrGonzo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:56 pm 

vacca wrote:
Vigintiseptem wrote:
From what I understand, a significant amount of the material intended for those abandoned albums was already written by Albert. Some of it probably ended up on So Long Suckers, and it would be interesting to know how much of it has materialized on Opium Warlords albums. I'll be damned if The Self-Made Man isn't a song originally intended for RB.

Not sure about exact songs, but my understanding is that all of Albert's material originally planned for RB has been or will be reworked for OW. Peter/Kimi had also stuff written, and at least "Pillars Under Water" and "The Last of the Templars" on the Lord Vicar debut had originally been written for RB. They're even listed on the Lyrics page of the old RB website, heh. I wonder what happened to "A Grave Among the Trees"... I heard that Void had written at least one song as well, but I doubt that will materialize, as his musical endeavors since RB that I'm aware of have been on the punk side of things.

A Grave Among the Trees was released as The Self Made Man on the third Opium Warlords album

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:13 am 

Tsatthoggua! "Extazia" was recorded and slated for release in 2000 on Necropolis Records, but the label folded. Fuck you Paul Thind!

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:40 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Hallucinogenesis by Wormlust was anounced back in 2017. I believe it had already been anounced some time before on a different label. It's still not out and there's no estimated date of release.

In some fairness, I believe this was supposed to be out via a collaboration of Fallen Empire and Mystiskaos. Fallen Empire then closed shop, which I assume not only impacted all future releases for that label but also forced HV and Alex Poole to reorganize Mystiskaos.

That said - god, I want this album so badly. Mystiskaos has been really consistent on their releases, their scheduling, and their general updates though so hopefully this album will be announced soon. I also vaguely remember an interview with HV where he said he re-recorded a lot of the album because he wasn’t happy with it after a relisten but I might be making that up.

On topic - where is that new Mirrorthrone album?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 am 

What about that second Lykathea Aflame album? Hell, I've been waiting for years, and probably half of my posts are about that freaking album

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:32 am 

Can't believe I'm the first to mention Thorns. 20 years and still counting.

Weren't Down supposed to release four eps? We got the first in 2012, the second in 2014, and dead air since.

Gaahlskagg had a second album announced on No Colours rec's site as early as 2004 at least. Actually the "upcoming releases" section from back in the day would be a treasure trove for a thread like this.

Countess has a ton of unreleased albums and at least a few of those were announced before being scrapped. At least actual records kept coming out in the meantime.

Textures had a whole album finished and ready for release which was supposed to be the second part of their previous one. Then they disbanded and the whole thing fell apart literally one step behind the finishing line.

Marduk mentioned on their site that after either La Grande Danse Macabre or World Funeral (still with Legion in the band at least) they had recorded a four song ep with all Swedish lyrics, which was described as "different than usual" or something to that effect. Not another word about it has ever been spoken since.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:08 am 

Auch wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Hallucinogenesis by Wormlust was anounced back in 2017. I believe it had already been anounced some time before on a different label. It's still not out and there's no estimated date of release.

In some fairness, I believe this was supposed to be out via a collaboration of Fallen Empire and Mystiskaos. Fallen Empire then closed shop, which I assume not only impacted all future releases for that label but also forced HV and Alex Poole to reorganize Mystiskaos.

That said - god, I want this album so badly. Mystiskaos has been really consistent on their releases, their scheduling, and their general updates though so hopefully this album will be announced soon. I also vaguely remember an interview with HV where he said he re-recorded a lot of the album because he wasn’t happy with it after a relisten but I might be making that up.

On topic - where is that new Mirrorthrone album?

I think it was supposed to be out on Daemon Worship Productions way before Fallen Empire/Mystiskaos but the guy from Daemon Worship Productions disappeared. If they wanted the album out they could have released it by now. For some reason I'm starting to think HV doesn't want it out. Time will tell but I'm not expecting Hallucinogenesis any time soon.

The Skaphe/Wormlust collaboration was truly excellent and I'm hoping there will be more stuff like that in the future from either band.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:11 pm 

What about the Christian metal band Vengeance Rising, known for their story of how their lead vocalist became a staunch atheist shortly after his band disbanded in the early 1990s?

He apparently was resurrecting them with a new anti-Christian approach for an album called Realms of Blasphemy in the early 2000s, but the album never came out.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:25 pm 

Similar thread has been made, and in it I mentioned the God of Atheists album with that stellar lineup. Never materialized and never will.

kkingccrimson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 am 

I don't know if it was ever announced,but obviously we are never going to get a sequel to Magica.
Luca Turilli's trilogy never has been completed,as far as I know.
Prophet of the Last Eclipse liner notes mention "to be continued"but it's been 18 years and I'm still waiting.
After all the Rhapsody drama we have had since than(line up changes,splits,name changes,reunions)I'm not holding my breath.

Mellifleur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:14 am 

I don't think we're ever going to see parts II and III of Varuna's Epical Trilogy of Vorlaufen.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 pm 

kkingccrimson wrote:
I don't know if it was ever announced,but obviously we are never going to get a sequel to Magica.

There was not one, but TWO sequels in the works when Dio died. And yes they were mentioned in interviews.
kkingccrimson wrote:
Luca Turilli's trilogy never has been completed, as far as I know.
Prophet of the Last Eclipse liner notes mention "to be continued"but it's been 18 years and I'm still waiting.

I think you missed the last part of the trilogy by fourteen years, kiddo.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Tekkeitsertok
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 pm 

Menhir was supposed to release a new album - Varus - in autumn of 2013, but that never happened. Since then the band has seemingly gone into hiding. Too bad, as 2007's Hildebrandslied is one of my all time favorites.

http://www.metalsoundscapes.com/archive ... um-in-2013

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:08 am 

Vital Remains hasn't released so much as an EP in a long ass time

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:45 am 

Epic post-metal band Light Bearer had grand plans for a trilogy of albums, and judging from everything, the last installment should've been especially grand. But the band split up after the second installment, and the band leader Alex Bradshaw pretty much confirmed that it will never happen, and released some of the demos for the scrapped third album.

Sucks, because Light Bearer great. Post-metal as a genre is a melting pot of different permutations and bastardisations of post-rock, doom metal, sludge, crust, hardcore, etc. etc. They were special for having a melodic but very doom-laden crust sound, which they worked into compositions of towering proportions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj3yDHQq3p0

Gravetemplar wrote:
Shroud Of The Heretic were recording a double album that was supposed to be their magnum opus and they are now listed as on-hold. There hasn't been any news for year. There was some kind of drama with their drummer as far as I know.

My friend and I met one of their guitarists in Reykjavík in 2017, and back then, the band was still going. They had just resolved some issues with the line-up, and things were going forward, but then later they just went on hold.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:20 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Weren't Down supposed to release four eps? We got the first in 2012, the second in 2014, and dead air since.

The Down situation was especially weird since they were allegedly supposed to explore different aspects of the band's style, including a dedicated EPs to southern rock, doom, acoustic, etc. Instead we got two EPs that are basically the same style. I like both releases fine enough but I really wish they hadn't hyped them so excessively.

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:48 pm 

Hmm Magica I I and III were announced but never made because of Duo's Death and another one that comes to my mind is Attack's . Deadlocked announced in 1996 and still hasn't seen the light of day

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:54 pm 

Abyssos was supposed to release their 3rd album around 2003 called "Delomelanicon" and even had a teaser out on their website, but then because of label issues Rehn decided to just disband...

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:00 pm 

James Murphy talked in 2013 about a second Disincarnate album.

nightbreaker33 wrote:
Hmm Magica I I and III were announced but never made because of Duo's Death

Ronnie James Duo would've been a good name for a pre-Metallica project with Ron McGovney and James Hetfield.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:52 am 

Tekkeitsertok wrote:
Menhir was supposed to release a new album - Varus - in autumn of 2013, but that never happened. Since then the band has seemingly gone into hiding. Too bad, as 2007's Hildebrandslied is one of my all time favorites.

http://www.metalsoundscapes.com/archive ... um-in-2013

This is really sad to me, i've discovered Hildebrandslied during this quarantine and it has become one of my all time favorites of the genre

Tiamat's the Scarred People was to me an highlight of this decade and one of my most played albums, it's not very comforting not hearing any news about a follow up album since 2012. I heard only stuff about the instability of the band, personal problems of Johan Edlund and bad live shows. I hope their are not done yet :(

Gore__Grinder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:39 am 

Agruss release Morok back in 2012 and it was/is intended as to be first of a trilogy. The second album was talked about back in 2014/15 and the last post from the band that I can is then as well. Not sure where that ended up

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:50 am 

Discordant wrote:
Abyssos was supposed to release their 3rd album around 2003 called "Delomelanicon" and even had a teaser out on their website, but then because of label issues Rehn decided to just disband...

I'm still pissed off about it as I really enjoyed both their albums. He's also been doing very little since.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:16 pm 

Reviewing the Bill Ward solo albums made me remember the Beyond Ashton album that he had been promising for a good bulk of the 2000s. A whole slew of titles was announced with the track list changing several times and a rough mix was up for download, but the release date kept getting pushed back until it was just kinda forgotten about. Apparently a couple songs written during those sessions popped up on Accountable Beasts.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:41 pm 

Nothingface wrote:
When Christian thrash metal band Vengeance Rising ran into some financial difficulties while on tour, frontman Roger Martinez turned his back on Christianity for good. When the rest of the band quit, he went apeshit and planned to release a bunch of blasphemous satanic music under the band's name out of spite.

According to their profile here on the archives:
Quote:
After the September 11, 2001 attacks occurred, Martinez offered free albums from his website for military personnel to encourage a "holy war against Christians".

Realms of Blasphemy and Smoke Those Motherfuckers were supposed to be released in 2000 and 2001 respectively, but thankfully they never saw the light of day. Roger would later focus his unbridled hatred on more noble pursuits, like real estate.

He did offer it free to all military. It just so happens I was in the military at the time. I sent him my information, but I never received it. I remember he told it was demoed. The guy from a big band supposedly played guitars. I actually still email him back and forth, guy hates to text. He has the perfect personality to sell real estate. Not to knock anyone's beliefs, but he was a salesmen for Christianity. Taking an interlude at VR shows, to tell people how and why they need to be saved. No idea if its true (according to him) he is extremely wealthy from selling real estate. I am 99 percent sure it was here that he made a long crazy post. Someone mentioned him and he came here and responded. At least ten years ago. It was like the diary of a madman.

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:03 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Reviewing the Bill Ward solo albums made me remember the Beyond Ashton album that he had been promising for a good bulk of the 2000s. A whole slew of titles was announced with the track list changing several times and a rough mix was up for download, but the release date kept getting pushed back until it was just kinda forgotten about. Apparently a couple songs written during those sessions popped up on Accountable Beasts.

Is Bill trying to sound like Ozzy in some parts? Also it sounds like a live bootleg. Anyway, I'll always keep ''Mobile Shooting Galleries'' on my mind as one of the best Ward songs.

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:40 am 

Control Denied - When Man And Machine Collide :cry:

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:45 am 

I wish Chuck's estate would at least let someone work on and release the material that was recorded for it, rough and incomplete as it may be.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:07 am 

Take away: Never announce an album until the tracks are in the can.

akb88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm 

New X Japan :(

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:

The Down situation was especially weird since they were allegedly supposed to explore different aspects of the band's style, including a dedicated EPs to southern rock, doom, acoustic, etc. Instead we got two EPs that are basically the same style. I like both releases fine enough but I really wish they hadn't hyped them so excessively.

Still waiting on those other 3 Agoraphobic Nosebleed EPs with a similar concept.

DrummingEdge133
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Can't believe I'm the first to mention Thorns. 20 years and still counting.

Yep, still waiting...I really don't think it's going to be coming out. If not by now, when? You don't even really hear any updates or news from the band.

Godkiller I believe had something ages ago? Rumors I guess, obviously never materialized.

Sonne Adam I thought also had some new material? But now they're listed as unknown on Metal-Archives. That's ashame.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Whatever happened to God of Atheists, the band with Trym and some of the guys from Borknagar (I think? I can't recall)? They announced a debut album like 5 years ago and then nothing.

Talk about jogging a memory. That YouTube video from seven years ago just made some neurons fire:

Spoiler: show

Glancing at the band's Facebook page after a quick google, it looks like the last update (January 2020) was a boilerplate reitertaion of a post previously made in June of 2016). https://www.facebook.com/godofatheists

This project hasn't even released a single despite supposedly being held up by not having the bassist play for five songs "because his work on the three first songs is flawless" and he needs to finish college. If that is so, it'll be a long time considering covid. I don't have a grudge with the band being too quiet about its process, but updates like those seem more like offsetting than offering especially when another post five years ago hypes names like Isahn. At some point they could just shit or get off the pot.

If the band really didn't want to overhype itself, why keep teasing? At the end of the day, an album drop isn't going to change the world, especially in this saturated world. It'd be great for it to come out but it's not like we'll be able to guess the general flavor from a seven year old video among sparse updates. Maybe the band wants mystery for the hype. Likely it's just a tough go at a project that could be one person's ambition and another's abortion. I really hope it's the former though considering it's closing in on a decade of creation and has very little in the way of music to show for it so far. Then again, check out Deity (Canada) if you want to know what a decade of "ambition in the waiting" can offer (it can really suck). If there's enough behind the scenes drama for this project to make its 'Rumors' album it'd definitely be worth the wait. I'm more set for a letdown though just because, well, we can't get enough of those nowadays. I just want to hear some new awesome Vibeke Stene vocals.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next