Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
plagueofangels
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 pm 

Who are the bands with the most imaginative and interesting lyrics out there? Stuff that's arguably not even lyrics by this point, but more like beautiful yet mind bending prose which could hold up by itself even without a band, something that requires a thinker to explore and digest.

Sure bands like Cannibal Corpse and Carcass which arrange a kind of... sophistication in their lyrics. But it's mostly about stabbing people, dissecting people, eating people, or otherwise generally doing something bad to people.

Nor do I mean something like Nile where the singer is chanting ancient gods, or the romanticism of Opeth where it inevitably boils down to a broken heart and mindless vengeance, or the stupid abandonment of sense like Meshuggah.

If you want a specific definition, I would say technical death metal, Origin, Suffocation, Beheaded - but even then it's still a lot of yelling complex wordplay, without spine or subject. So what is the best LITERATURE in lyrics in your opinion.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 pm 

Bal Sagoth, by far. They told absolutely amazing stories through those 6 albums, especially on Atlantis Ascendant.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:07 pm 

I'd say Dani Filth's lyrics for Cradle of Filth... but to be honest I'm not sure that fits the criteria of the OP (or what the criteria in the OP actually is). Perhaps it's too late on a Friday to be trying to figure it out (that or I'm a bit dense).

plagueofangels
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:26 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Bal Sagoth, by far. They told absolutely amazing stories through those 6 albums, especially on Atlantis Ascendant.

I knew this was the right place to post. First reply, someone who knows what they're talking about.

lordcatfish wrote:
I'd say Dani Filth's lyrics for Cradle of Filth... but to be honest I'm not sure that fits the criteria of the OP (or what the criteria in the OP actually is). Perhaps it's too late on a Friday to be trying to figure it out (that or I'm a bit dense).

You don't. I'm not talking about demonstrations of romantic wordplay, and I'm not saying Cradle of Filth is automatically bad; I want the bands with the best design, intrigue and insight of lyricism and literature, where they understand how complex and necessary the written form is, how their semiotics elaborate, expand, and illustrate meaning.

You can use AI lyrics programs now, you can punch out lyrics online for free. But that's just a computer. We'll be using computers to make our masterpieces soon, but what makes our language special?

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 pm 

I love Bell Witch's lyrics, very thoughtful musings on grief and loss.

Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:36 am 

I think Sabbat is probably a good choice for this, and probably Cradle as well, the complexities and sheer volume of words as well as the fascination with actual horror fiction and history, similar story for Dark Angel on Leave Scars and Time Does not Heal.

I think Both Disembowelment and Fates Warning have really interesting lyrics as well and seem to be poetic in scope as opposed to just the standard lines and stanzas lyric writing.

Nuclear Death is actually another band who's lyrics always seemed to have a poetic bent to them, very dark and surreal atmosphere there, similar story with Acid Bath actually, both Phil Hampson and Dax Riggs kind of write these strange and depraved poems instead of lyrics imo.

Oh, and obviously Anal Cunt

Perhaps.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:54 am 

Atlantean Kodex's on The White Goddess, I never get tired of. Just so dense and they all seem to not waste a word. There's a lot of metaphor and poetry to it and they're genuinely well-done expressions of these themes and stories/characters, though it's not a concept album or anything like that. It's all somewhat history-based and yet they try and tie it into something modern as well.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:19 am 

subtle, considering they got borderline annihilated (pun not intended) for the "hidden" political meaning of that set of lyrics... and yes, I love them too :)

Spoiler: show
certain factions of this forum already consider me fairly "racist", so what gives?

beneath this fragile crust of this modern age of reason
a darker world lies waiting, primordial and pure
hidden in the shades from ratio‘s great pondering
to rise, when the stars are right

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 am 

Primordial.

Skyclad. Because I love puns.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am 

aloof wrote:
subtle, considering they got borderline annihilated (pun not intended) for the "hidden" political meaning of that set of lyrics... and yes, I love them too :)

certain factions of this forum already consider me fairly "racist", so what gives?

First I've heard of that... I always took most of it in a more detached manner, just about history and how things have evolved through time and all. I was never a big history buff though. The band always talks about unity and common heritage more than anything else, for what it's worth.

Here's an interview with one of the band members going super in-depth on the lyrics: http://metalcrypt.com/pages/interviews.php?intid=358

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Atlantean Kodex's on The White Goddess, I never get tired of. Just so dense and they all seem to not waste a word. There's a lot of metaphor and poetry to it and they're genuinely well-done expressions of these themes and stories/characters, though it's not a concept album or anything like that. It's all somewhat history-based and yet they try and tie it into something modern as well.

aloof wrote:

Another vote for Atlantean Kodex from me. The way they manage to tie together historical, mythological and fantastical themes never ceases to impress me. My understanding of the political meaning aspect was that some members of far right metal subcultures got all excited thinking they had another band on their side and then had their hopes crushed when Atlantean Kodex explained very clearly that they are absolutely not into far right politics and their lyrics are not in support of that sort of thinking at all. I haven't seen anyone actually complain that the lyrics have hidden political meanings though. Regardless, they write some of the most exciting, inspiring and vivid metal lyrics of this era.

Bal-Sagoth are another perfect fit for this thread but they have already been mentioned as well. I'd put My Dying Bride in this category as well. The lyrics to almost any of their albums (especially those from their early-mid career) are full of dark literary delights and their skill at storytelling is just tremendous.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:31 pm 

These Bal-Sagoth lyrics are insane too. Talk about a total immersion in pulpy fantasy, horror and sci fi. Super genuine and intricate.

For AK, "Heresiarch" and "Enthroned in Clouds and Fire" were always my personal picks for standout songs. But it's all good. I need to spend some time reading the new album's lyrics more in-depth.

Asphyx Twin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:38 pm 

I think Warrell Dane at his most inspired is pretty hard to beat. It's quite rare to find singers who manage to match top notch vocal performance with lyrical content that's actually worth delving into. Warrell is one of them. Alan in Primordial is up there.

SD Plissken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:10 am 

Order From Chaos, Vulpecula, and Ares Kingdom.

Reply to topic