Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:56 pm 

Who cares about political ideologies?
Who cares about religious beliefs?
Who cares about zodiac signs?
This is the real deal

When you buy a CD, you prefer Jewel Case or Digipaks? And why?

P.D: I am a Jewel Case boy, Slimcases count as Jewel Cases and Digibooks count as Digipaks

Last edited by SmallPoxie on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 pm 

Jewel Case. I don't mind digipaks. I understand the hate. the couple of specific cd collecting groups i'm in on facebook are all overwhelmingly hate digipaks/ ecowallets/slimcases, hell they are even a fan of the digibook releases.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:16 pm 

I don't mind digipacks but I'm not a big fan of cheap or bare-bones ones like the ones Peaceville used to do back in the day. If it's sturdy and there's thought put into packaging I think they can be quite cool. Personally I have no preference between the two, but if forced to choose I would probably choose jewel cases since they're more ubiquitous.

Digibooks on the other hand, can fuck off. The paper they use for the inside is super weak and I have several where I opened it up only to see that the staples in the booklet have torn through, leaving the booklet hanging loose.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:54 pm 

Jewel case, since I get rid of the case and keep the cd, booklet and covers in plastic sleeves. Takes up too much space otherwise. I don't mind the odd digipack if I don't have a choice, but they often come as some sort of limited edition with some add-ons that I don't care for anyway.

interstellar_medium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:19 pm 

Digipak and digibook whenever possible. With my luck, jewel cases fall apart like 75% of the time the moment I open them. Might be the way Russian post treats packages... but then, most of my older ones bought offline also eventually disintegrated. Kinda annoying.

DerBaummann
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:34 pm 

Digipaks look nicer, jewel cases hold up better. I don't really mind.

However, I have two Drudkh releases in "oversized jewel case" and they really piss me off. They're about an inch taller than a normal CD meaning they don't fit into any standard storage.

TheLoneForest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 pm 

I only collect vinyl, but when the rare CD comes into the collection, I only do digipak. Cannot stand the cheapness of jewel case.

Longevity doesn't matter much because I'm purposely pristine with my collection anyways

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:46 pm 

Digipak IF it’s the same dimensions as a jewel case, but I can’t stand the oddly shaped digis because they don’t fit neatly on my shelves.

Jewel cases are way too fragile.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 pm 

I think it's more a quality issue than a format one for me. I hate the plastic wheels where the spokes keep breaking off and eventually it won't hold the CD anymore. Or the ones that are so tight that I feel like I'm going to snap the CD trying to pull it out.

DerBaummann
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:28 pm 

From a storage perspective you can usually fit more digis on a shelf than a jewel case as well. I've changed my mind, I prefer Digipaks.

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:30 pm 

I love those limited editions DGs where you have to unfold it from all four sides and get a fancy shmancy booklet inside as well. Like Behemoth “Zos Kia Cultus” or Dimmu Borgir “Death Cult Armageddon”. Those kind of DIGI packs. Otherwise I prefer jewel cases.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:35 pm 

Digipaks have their upside, like the above comment. Also, they're more versatile artistically. However, they're fragile. The corners wear down and the edges get scruffy and they look kind of beat up after a while. Jewel cases can be replaced pretty easily. I buy a pack of empty ones from whatever office supply store all the time, cheap. My CDs always look new.

MetlaNZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:56 pm 

Everyone's got valid reason's here for and against, but these day's I shop by whatever's got the best track listing and/or is the cheapest.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:03 am 

If it's a good jewel case, fine. I think I do prefer a digipack that has a couple folds. My band just did I think a digibook for our latest EP and while it was financially economic I'm not too sure I like it a whole lot, everything is printed on the cardface that folds out and theres no booklet.

When I was younger I ordered a copy of Dusk And Her Embrace as my first Cradle cd (favorite band at the time, totally obsessed) and when it finally came in the mail the case broke in half the first time I opened it. I was pretty fucking upset about it lol.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 am 

The most durable CD container is the "Super Jewel Box", which is like a jewel case but with rounded edges and thicker plastic. I suppose they're pretty expensive, since most labels don't use them, but most of latter-day Darkthrone's releases come in them, which is nice.

I have no real preference either way between jewel cases and digipaks, but with digipaks I dislike it when they come with the little teeth that are supposed to hold the disk in place, since they break easily. In jewel cases those teeth can be replaced, but in digipacks once they break, the disk is never staying put again.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:29 am 

Digipacks without any doubt. Yeah, I admit they are easier to break but I've bought hundreds of them and only 3 or 4 were broken. They are so much nicer. There are albums I would not buy if they don't have a digipack version. Sometimes I will buy a jewelcase if it's cheap and replace it with the digipack as soon as I can.

The best is digisleeve/gatefold replica. It doesn't have the plastic tray with teeth so it can't be broken.

There's nothing I hate more than buying a CD to find it's a jewelcase and the booklet is just a folded paper with no lyrics or anything. Lots of underground labels do this.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 am 

If it's not etched in stone or painted on the walls of a cave it can fuck right off.

Nah just kidding :P digipaks! You gotta take good care of them since the corners could get a little scuffed, and make sure they're not kept in direct sunlight or else the colour could fade over time (happened with my AC/DC Fly On The Wall record - the spine is so pale compared to the rest of the packaging now). But I find it makes the album look like a complete package rather than art and a disc thrown into a plastic case. Plus jewel cases break often or come already broken in parts, and it sucks having to replace them. Digibooks can be cool too as long as the book part holds up.

Mortiis and Paysage d'Hiver do these really sick looking A5 digipaks that look gorgeous - VERY nice cardstock paper, with the Mortiis records having a slightly glossier finish and PDH's being super matte which plays in perfectly with the project's aesthetic. Alcest did some great packaging like that with Ecailles de Lune and Kodama too, albeit smaller sized.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I think it's more a quality issue than a format one for me. I hate the plastic wheels where the spokes keep breaking off and eventually it won't hold the CD anymore. Or the ones that are so tight that I feel like I'm going to snap the CD trying to pull it out.

There's a special place in hell for these types of jewel cases. They can absolutely fuck right off.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:22 am 

Jewel case, every day of the week. If a digipack breaks you're effed, and as someone who's had to move house a lot, that shit happens no matter how careful you are.

oxwah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 am 

If I want the album, I'm going to buy it regardless. That being said, I like jewel cases way more than digipaks. If trays spokes or hinges break, you can easily swap in a new part if you want. However, this is less viable with uniquely colored cases (such as most Alice In Chains albums), but that's not the norm. Digipaks are much more susceptible to wear and tear, and generally feel cheaper, especially if there is no booklet.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:57 am 

I haven't purchased a CD since 2013, but before that I purchased over 3000.

At first I hated the digipaks. They used to get completely worn/wrecked when I would take a couple discs to school in my bag. After that, my stand softened on them, and I started to like some of the different art direction bands could take with them.

Then around the early 2010's when I started buying a lot of vinyl, I started hating the digipaks again. Even just for storing them, I found the different sizes to be annoying. The OCD in my liked when my shelves and shelves of CDs all looked somewhat similar.

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:54 am 

Digipacks SUCK. Jewel case 100% of the time, if possible.

Diego_DAR
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 pm 

Jewel case team. Sometimes it's not possible, sadly.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:22 pm 

Jewel case. Digipaks inevitably end up getting scuffed up and worn down, jewel case shells can easily be replaced for cheap. A lot of digipaks also just feel cheaper to me. If I really like the album it's not enough to dissuade me from buying it, but if I have a choice I will always go jewel case. I will say however that a couple years ago I bought protective sleeves for all my digipaks which seemed to help quite a bit with wear and tear, nonetheless jewel case still reigns supreme to me.

Icon_of_Sin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:19 pm 

I prefer jewel cases much more. I like how they look and feel. It preserves the booklet and art very well and they're replaceable. It's also very satisfying to have a whole neat shelf full of only jewel cases. On the other hand, I detest digipaks with every atom in my body. I can't stand them. They look and feel cheap and they always get dinged or damaged even when you don't touch them. I know you can put them inside some sort of plastic sleeve to protect them, but damn it looks ugly. And also, just getting a digipak feels so unsatisfying to me. As in, the actual touch and feel of them just feels so unfulfilling. I also hate how they're not in any standard size: some are extremely skinny, some are thick as jewel cases, and some are thicker. I hate how digipaks seem to be the norm are even treated as some sort of premium 'special' release. I only get digipaks if I really like an album or if I somehow don't realize that it's a digipak and accidentally get one.

So yeah, love jewel cases and curse digipaks to oblivion.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:51 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Jewel Case. I don't mind digipaks. I understand the hate. the couple of specific cd collecting groups i'm in on facebook are all overwhelmingly hate digipaks/ ecowallets/slimcases, hell they are even a fan of the digibook releases.

Ecowallets, specifically, are the absolute fucking worst. I always feel like I'm going to accidentally tear the case trying to get the disc out.
I don't mind digipaks though, and I think digibooks are pretty great.

Jewel cases probably hold up the best, and it's pretty easy and cheap to replace the cases.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:11 am 

For the most part, CDs just sit on my shelf, so the less durable nature of digipaks isn't as much of an issue with me. If I'm bringing some CDs on the go, I can always just take the discs out of them and put them in some spare jewel cases anyway so the digipak doesn't get scuffed or whatever. Digipaks do look nicer, and I'm usually willing to pay a dollar more for them over the jewel case if I have a choice.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:00 am 

jewel case every time. they were developed like this for a reason, to protect the CD and booklet
you can also replace them! WOW! what a great idea, you can keep your media in great condition for a lifetime.
then some bollocks comes along and develops the digipak which goes against everything a CD was originally intended to do (protect the media)
ok the first few were cool, slightly larger artwork and glossy look and feel
now they are just endemic. i dont want to have to handle my CD cases carefully and be scared to drop / bang them

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:11 am 

Inkshooter wrote:
The most durable CD container is the "Super Jewel Box", which is like a jewel case but with rounded edges and thicker plastic. I suppose they're pretty expensive, since most labels don't use them, but most of latter-day Darkthrone's releases come in them, which is nice.

Knew I should check the thread before I posted the same thing !

More robust, little button to open the case, round corners that reduce case-smashing accidents on the hinges.

Super jewel is definitely my choice.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:11 am 

I can get not liking digipacks because they break or whatever but how are digipacks cheap but jewelcases are not? I mean, a jewelcase is literally 0.1 $/€. It's the cheapest, less good-looking option for sure. I'll get a good looking album over a cheap plastic case any time. Those super jewel boxes look ugly tbh, no wonder most people hate them. I'm not saying one of them is better, just that one of them obviously looks better and isn't made of cheap plastic. There are other factors in play but there's no way a digipack looks "cheap".

Spoiler: show
I'll get this:

Over this:

Any time. It's just more pleasant to the view. No cheap plastic feeling, no useless spine. Can they get broken? Sure. So does LPs and you wouldn't want them inside a plastic case. Besides, digipacks are pretty easy to protect.

Just look at this beauty. How is this "cheap"?

Spoiler: show

The jewelcase version is just that, a jewlcase. They are indistinguishable from any other jewelcase. There's a reason digipacks sell out fast, they'r just prettier and they stand out.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:39 am 

I like digis that feature extra artwork and such, otherwise I'm not that fussed. Most times I go for the digi because more often than not that's the version that comes with bonus content.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

DungeonShade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:56 am 

Jewel case. While plastic is evil I need the cd/art to have some protection. I hate when it’s a digipack with no tray/teeth for the CD and it’s just in cardboard sleeve with the disc already scuffed on arrival from rubbing against the cardboard during shipping or whatever. Pathetic. Tight trays can be annoying as mentioned previously and I have broken exactly one CD (Priest Live!) in half trying to remove it. I was being careful as always but that one defeated me, I was stunned.

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:22 pm 

I'm gonna go with jewel case. First of all due to my OCD the digipaks ruin my perfect lining of the jewel cases especially the dream theater Astonishing double album it extends out of the size a Jewel case when I stack the CDs. Another thing is that some digipaks such as the Riot Narita re-issue by metal blade make taking out the booklet and the cd a pain in the ass. A good digipak should be opened like a book like the Elegy 00's album reissues but in the metal blade, it's like a stupid case and you have to stick your hand to grab the CD.

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:04 pm 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
I'm gonna go with jewel case. First of all due to my OCD the digipaks ruin my perfect lining of the jewel cases especially the dream theater Astonishing double album it extends out of the size a Jewel case when I stack the CDs.

Well, That's what you get for buying The Astonishing in the first place

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:10 pm 

Quote:
. Well, That's what you get for buying The Astonishing in the first place

Don't get me wrong, I love the Astonishing but they could have done the double cd thing with the same way, the guys from EMI reissued the Operation Mindcrime in 2006 with an extra disc that includes the whole album played live in its entirety. And that was jewel case, not digipak.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:26 pm 

I still haven't made it through The Astonishing. Twice I've put it on in the car, but at some point somewhere in it I had a craving to hear something different. I just need to throw it on in the background sometime when I have time to hear it all at once.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 pm 

I've always liked the digipacks and tend to go for them over the jewelcase if I have the option. In saying that out of my collection I would have 30% digi and 70% jewelcase.

I love the aesthetics of a digipack. I have a habit of playing the newest CD I get in the car then rotate them out as I get newer ones. The drawback with some digipacks is when you're trying to change the CD in the car they can be a bit fiddly when driving or when you're packing to move house they don't quite fit like jewelcases do. I'm OCD with how I store them but I still love the digi's.

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:15 pm 

I generally prefer jewel cases, but I do enjoy a relatively sturdy, well-designed digipak. It's just that they're rare enough that if given the choice (and the digipak doesn't have some other incentive like bonus tracks) I'd put my money on the jewel case.

Super jewel cases are awful, though. All the sturdiness in the world can't fix how hideous they look. I want to replace my copy of A Blaze in the Northern Sky every time I pull it out.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 am 

PurpleDoom wrote:
Super jewel cases are awful, though. All the sturdiness in the world can't fix how hideous they look. I want to replace my copy of A Blaze in the Northern Sky every time I pull it out.

I hate the way they hold the booklets as well; pulling them out and placing them back in without wrinkling or tearing them is painstaking.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 am 

I actually stopped buying any kind of CDs many years ago, but have recently started to collect vinyls, basically my favourite and/or most influental albums, they just really lighten up my living space.

Guess it's because I'm old(er) now and starting to do old butt things.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" music video!
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:25 am 

One of the things I hate the most is when you order a jewelcase from USA and it comes with this terrible white sticker on the top that almost never comes off easily. You always end up with a jewelcase full of glue. I'll never understand why.

Reply to topic