Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:13 pm 

In the mid 2000's bands like Exodus, Sadus, Heathen, and Testament had understandably lost a lot of their speed and or incorporated slower chug riffs into their music. While these albums had sleeker production and usually weren't as fast or technical as the band's prime material, which bands did their best with the increased production and slowed down grooves? Are the songs from this time period of the bands work still a feature in setlists, or like their nineties period they've fallen away in favor of their classic songs?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:15 pm 

Oooh, this is my kind of topic!

The first one that comes to mind is "Tempo of the Damned". That one was the big one for me at the time and I think still holds up VERY well.

I LOVED "The System has Failed" too although I wish it has been a bit heavier.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:41 pm 

Did these bands really slow down that much in the 2000s? Yeah, they introduce some groove elements and were more willing to do mid-paced stuff, but the OP frames it as though they slowed down significantly, and I don't think that's borne out in reality. I'd be curious to do a comparison of average BPMs, but the effort required isn't really worth it.

To go along with the question though, I agree with ToB that Tempo of the Damned is the standout record here. I'd also put up The Evolution of Chaos, but given that came out in 2011 it probably doesn't count. I'll compromise and go with the 2005 demo. That thing kicked ass.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:47 pm 

Tempo! Absolutely. I'm still not sick of that record. It's actually my favourite Exodus album, and it has some of my favourite Exodus songs in their entire career (Blacklist, Shroud Of Urine, Throwing Down, Scar Spangled Banner)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:48 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Did these bands really slow down that much in the 2000s? Yeah, they introduce some groove elements and were more willing to do mid-paced stuff, but the OP frames it as though they slowed down significantly, and I don't think that's borne out in reality. I'd be curious to do a comparison of average BPMs, but the effort required isn't really worth it.

To go along with the question though, I agree with ToB that Tempo of the Damned is the standout record here. I'd also put up The Evolution of Chaos, but given that came out in 2011 it probably doesn't count. I'll compromise and go with the 2005 demo. That thing kicked ass.

That 2005 demo was excellent! Best thing they ever did! Good call.

Yeah, the slow down really happened in the 90s. By the 2000s it was acceptable to be fast again and even call to yourself "thrash" and not "hard music".

In terms of the setlists, NO. Pretty much every legacy metal band has a crap setlist these days and just plays the same old songs we've heard for 30 years and rarely digs into their extremely worthy deeper cuts.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:34 pm 

Violator (from Brazil)'s "Chemical Assault" is really good speedy, heavy no-frills thrash with lovably terrible vocals. It sounds like only the best bits of early Exodus and Vio-lence.
Their reviews of Darkthrone records are great reads, I just can't help feeling they were written in a (very expensive organo-vegan-ist) coffee shop, on a Linux hack job with stickers on, while trying to catch the eye of the girl with dungarees and glasses sitting in the corner.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:25 pm 

Tempo of the Damned is definitely the biggest winner though Shovel Headed Kill Machine can be just as potent when I'm in the right mood.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm 

I really enjoy Death Angel - The Art of Dying.

Shovel Headed Kill Machine was also great as others have already said.

Machine Head recorded their best two albums that decade.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:03 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Violator (from Brazil)'s "Chemical Assault" is really good speedy, heavy no-frills thrash with lovably terrible vocals. It sounds like only the best bits of early Exodus and Vio-lence.

Oh yeah! Good one.

I thought they were going to be the next big thing but they seem to have petered out.

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:05 pm 

Quote:
. The first one that comes to mind is "Tempo of the Damned". That one was the big one for me at the time and I think still holds up VERY well.

That's probably one of the few thrash albums of the 21st century I've ever heard. While the instruments are great and I used to play Blacklist while on the treadmill a lot, I prefer Zetro's 80's vocals. The production is tasty too!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:20 pm 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
Quote:
. The first one that comes to mind is "Tempo of the Damned". That one was the big one for me at the time and I think still holds up VERY well.

That's probably one of the few thrash albums of the 21st century I've ever heard. While the instruments are great and I used to play Blacklist while on the treadmill a lot, I prefer Zetro's 80's vocals. The production is tasty too!

That's funny, because even as an old school guy I think Zetro's vocals in the last 15 years or so are his very best ever, including the Testament guest tracks and Hatriot. He sounds more serious and less ACDC.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm 

I can only fully agree with the 2005 Heathen demo. That outro section of "Empty Nothingness" is the purest form of gold - lurking in the niiiiiiiiiiiight!

I never liked the later incarnations of Exodus (actually, not even the old one, to be honest) and Death Angel were good, but not quite great enough to latch onto them more.

Testament actually weren't really there in the mid 2000s. No real output between 1999 and 2008 -> "Formation of Damnation" was a passable release.

If Megadeth's "United Abominations" (2007) counts, then I'm in for that one, it has a lot of great songs and only a single certain remake that should have never seen the light of day.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" music video!
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:17 pm 

I've always been a big fan of Christ Illusion. Nothing amazing, but generally pretty solid with 4-5 great songs.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:31 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
I've always been a big fan of Christ Illusion. Nothing amazing, but generally pretty solid with 4-5 great songs.

I forgot about that one. The best Slayer post-Seasons in the Abyss album.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:05 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:

Last edited by Metal_Jaw on Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:29 pm 

The title suggests a pretty open playing field, but the OP and the answers so far hint at classic bands that were still active at that point. Of more classic bands, it's probably Megadeth's The System Has Failed and Testament's The Formation of Damnation. But then more broadly, depending on how strictly thrash we're talking (but then you're intentionally mentioning a shifting of the style), it's probably Nevermore's Enemies of Reality and then Machine Head's The Blackening. Other candidates are Imagika's Feast For the Hatred and Shatter Messiah's Never To Play the Servant.

CannibalCorpse wrote:
If Megadeth's "United Abominations" (2007) counts, then I'm in for that one, it has a lot of great songs and only a single certain remake that should have never seen the light of day.

It was better than I worried it would be. I like Cristina's vocals way better than Dave's, and I'm glad Glen decided to create an entirely new solo rather than half-ass Marty's, and it turned out reasonably well. The overall song doesn't have the same vibe of the original though, so it is definitely inferior. The album itself is a bit underrated, it has some songs that should be classics like "Sleepwalker". UA has a punchier production than TSHF, but overall slightly weaker songs, Glen pales in comparison to Poland, and Shawn to Vinnie.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

The title is about US bands though.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:42 pm 

They always get overlooked as part of the thrash revival, but those Gwar albums from this era - War Party, the mighty Beyond Hell, and Lust in Space - are fucking killer.

If we're not counting those and sticking solely to the "canonical" US thrash bands of the 80s and their material 20 years later, then Tempo of the Damned is the winner by a wide-ass margin.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:44 am 

Tempo of the Damned is the obvious standout.

Other notable entries include Hirax's The New Age of Terror (probably their best album, IMO), and Overkill's Killbox 13.

Gravetemplar wrote:
I really enjoy Death Angel - The Art of Dying.

Machine Head recorded their best two albums that decade.

The opener 'Thrown to the Wolves' is indeed a thrash banger of monumental proportions but, from memory, the rest of the album degenerates into typical Death Angel genre-hopping.

Being among the best Machine Head albums is like being among the biggest hills in the Netherlands. TBH I don't think that anything on the Through the Ashes of Empires actually qualifies as 'thrash'. 'Imperium' is definitely the best song on that album, but its sound is more informed by groove-core-melodeath than classic thrash IMO.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:32 am 

Tempo of the Damned is good, can't deny. I listened to it like 2 days ago and it still rules. But I'd tag Municipal Waste's The Art of Partying as the best.
Total pizzathrash, ninja turtles etc etc but hot DAMN is it catchy and well done. Just really captures that crossover sound perfectly and sounds fresh, even if it's a total DRI knockoff. I don't go for much of that genre but that album really rules.

Interesting that people are talking about Through the Ashes of Empires. That was the last good MH album imo, before Flynn went on some kind of crusade to chuck in as many disconnected riffs as possible into his songs in some weird effort to write multiple albums that sound like And Justice for All for the new generation (and miss the mark imo). Imperium is a real goodun.... but is it thrash?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:16 am 

Good call on Municipal Waste. I really like both Hazardous Mutation and Art of Partying, at the time they were very, very, very welcome and they still hold up as totally fun records.

...but I will also give it to Tempo of the Damned! Fantastic comeback. And we have to mention Tom Hunting here, not only still kicking ass but also one of the very few drummers (also Lombardo, The Gathering) who managed to avoid his kick drums sounding like artificial crap by Sneap.

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:25 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
...who managed to avoid his kick drums sounding like artificial crap by Sneap.

Oh man if there was one thing I could abolish it would be this.
Sneap can obviously record a band well, but fuck me if I can't hear his triggered drum sound a mile away.
(oddly, I love Scott Burns for the same reason - go figure)

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:31 am 

Another vote from me for Tempo of the Damned and United Abominations. Lazarus A.D. - The Onslaught is considered Thrash by most people, and that was originally released in 2007. This is a great album.

How late can mid 2000's go to? I'd also vote for Testament - Formation of Damnation and Warbringer - War Without End.

Non-US votes to: Violator - Chemical assault is good. Evile - Enter the Grave is OK. Kreator.

Obviously a slow period for quality Thrash.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 am 

Mantic Ritual - Executioner (was originally released when they went by Meltdown, so it kinda counts?) was better than a lot of the new albums from the old guard at the time and is just a genuinely great thrash album. Shame that the business side of things chewed them up and spit them out, they were a cool band.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:21 am 

The mid 2000s all in all were just the beginnings of the new thrash renaissance.

By the late 2000s the scene had exploded.

My thrash band released our first album in 2006. A few years later, there was a TON more competition in that space.

It's really amazing that it is still going strong really, at least in terms of the number of releases.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:33 am 

Rodman wrote:
Other notable entries include Hirax's The New Age of Terror (probably their best album, IMO), and Overkill's Killbox 13.

Oh hell, how'd I forget about The New Age of Terror? That was such an awesome album and the Assassins of War EP had a couple excellent tracks as well.

It may not be the purest example but I think the Annihilator albums with Joe Comeau on vocals qualify as well. Waking the Fury has always been a favorite for its relentless energy, even with the buzzy production.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:02 am 

Immediately thought of Tempo of the Damned, just like seemingly everybody else in this thread. It's just the best one, hands down.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:27 am 

I'm not super clear on if this is meant to just be comebacks from old bands or not but here are my favourites by any band:

Bonded By Blood - Feed The Beast - I bought this right when it came out and it's an absolute classic. Bands like BBB get a lot of flak but it's really not deserved. They were fantastic songwriters - nearly every track on this album has a ridiculously catchy chorus. Alex Lee would prove to be one of the top thrash shredders around and his work on the title track and "Necropsy" is insane. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cover obviously didn't help their perception, but to me it's a reminder that thrash was best enjoyed by people who always stayed kids at heart.

Exodus - Tempo of The Damned - Everyone else has covered this one, but I will say that this was the first Exodus record where I really felt how massive their guitar tone was. They've had that tone for so many records now that it doesn't feel as huge, but it works so well on this one.

Hatchet - Awaiting Evil - I think a lot of people have gone back to this album in retrospect now that Hatchet is a bit bigger, but it's another one I bought on release (and impatiently waited 5 years for a follow-up!). The production is not perfect, but again, it's just overflowing with catchy songs. I dig the semi-atmospheric intro with just an acoustic guitar and Julz shredding overtop. "Frailty of the Flesh" has such a great riff to open a thrash record on. I'll admit that this one is probably more nostalgia for me because it just doesn't sound as good as the rest of their discography, even if the songwriting is probably equally good.

Heathen - 2005 Demo - This has the 3 best songs from The Evolution of Chaos and is almost on par with the classic stuff. Like Exodus, these guys benefitted from a huge, modern production

Warbringer - War Without End/Waking Into Nightmares - The latter is a far superior record, and I'd say the best thrash record to be released between 1991-2016 (until Woe To The Vanquished came out). It's the complete package - masterful drumming (even though Carlos is perfect for the band now, Nic Ritter was a monster), adventurous bass lines, an endless supply of riffs, and an absolutely savage vocal performance. Every song is 100% memorable from start to finish. It really just doesn't get better than this.

Those are the top tier ones, but the albums I'd say are just a cut below:

At War - Infidel - Surprisingly underrated record here. The songs are all really simple and sound exactly like you remember At War sounding, but a bit better.

Fog of War - Fog of War - Great shredding all over this thing. It's one of those albums I never listen to and then every time I do, I realize I should revisit it more often

Megadeth - United Abominations/Endgame - UA was the newest Megadeth album when I got into them and I really dig it. It's very frontloaded, but those first 5 tracks stand with anything the band has done post-RIP. I'm also sorta biased because I later took guitar lessons from Glen Drover for a year and think his playing is wicked. His legato work is unmatched. Endgame is obviously great as well.

Merciless Death - Realm of Terror - I'm surprised these guys don't get more love given that most people's appreciation of thrash these days is always when it's mixed with either death or black metal. This feels like a death/thrash album written by a first-wave black metal band. It's so primitive and simple, but really catchy too.

Swashbuckle - Back To The Noose - This is definitely the oddball on my list but if you can appreciate humour and sea shanties alongside some thrash, it will get the job done. There are a few certified ragers (Scurvy Back, Cruise Ship Terror), but it's really the blend of interludes and heavy thrash stuff that makes it great. That said, it leans heavily towards death metal at times, so it may not appeal to those who love the more classic thrash approach.

Testament - The Formation of Damnation - Still the best and catchiest of their comeback work. The riff on The Persecuted Won't Forget might be the best one in their discography. Henchmen Ride and the title track are super brutal too. It gets a little fillerish towards the end, but this was still a very inspired effort.

Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose of Death - Amazingly, I did not hear this album until this year. Most have probably heard it so I won't say much except that Future Shock RULES.

Non-American answers: Gama Bomb - Citizen Brain (Ireland's answer to Bonded By Blood's Feed The Beast; or more accurately, BBB was the US' answer to this album), Kreator - Hordes of Chaos, Mutant - Laserdrome, Witchtrap - Sorceress Bitch, Destruction - The Antichrist, Sodom - M-16, King's-Evil - Deletion of Humanoise, Onslaught - Killing Peace, Violator - Chemiical Assault, and Tankard - B-Day/Beast of Bourbon/The Beauty and the Beer

Reid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 pm 

Although nowhere near as renowned as the 80's (and rightly so), I have a fondness for mid-late 2000's thrash as that's when I was getting into the genre throughout middle school and high school, and it was pretty cool to be right there as the revival was really exploding. On that note...

Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
Between 2008-2010, you couldn't throw a stick without hitting a metal tour that featured Warbringer as an opening act. Definitely one of the hardest working new (at the time) thrash bands in the biz. I picked up Waking Into Nightmares from their merch table on the 2009 Kreator/Exodus tour, and as a few others have said it's a great album. Probably not my favorite one (that goes to Woe To The Vanquished), but it was definitely one of those releases that consciously moved away from the "pizza/party" vibe that had followed a lot of the mid-late 2000's thrash acts, having a lot of influence from death metal and more brutal thrash like Demolition Hammer.

Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose of Death...
I got into this album the summer after my freshman year of high school, and although it's not my favorite TH release, it has some of their all-time classic tracks- Nuke the Cross, War Is Hell, Wild Dogs, all of which have been in constant rotation over the years.

Megadeth - Endgame
In my book, this is easily Megadave's best album since RIP (mayyyyybe Countdown, depending on how I'm feeling that day). Takes all the best elements from all of their eras (technical stuff that could've fit in on RIP, more groovy mid-tempo stuff, even the ballad is tolerable) into one cohesive album, and at the time it was awesome to have an actually great Megadeth album released just when I was getting into thrash.

Honorable mentions would go to The Formation of Damnation by Testament, which as a few have said is a good album that unfortunately has a bit of filler. I think this might've been the first album I got during high school? Although I didn't get into them until only a few years ago, Hazardous Mutation and The Art of Partying by Municipal Waste are really great releases.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:21 pm 

"Endgame" was released in 2009, so it shouldn't be here but if we're giving that a pass then it blows away everything else in this thread as I think it is one of the very best thrash albums of all-time. Just annoyed by that Andy Sneap production job that squeezes out the warmth of the tone.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:29 pm 

Yeah, I was going to say that's it's funny that a number of people are mentioning it, since it's in the second half of 2009 and so almost into the 10s rather than the 00s. It's definitely a solid album though, and in ways superior to TSHF and UA. Apparently this week is bash Andy Sneap week, which is frustrating since he's one of my favorites. Sure he has kind of a signature sound, and I'm not always in the mood for it, but it generally works for me. And it's much better sounding to me than almost all of their other albums.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:34 pm 

I actually feel that Destruction's "All Hell Breaks Loose" was a lot better than most of the true US mid-2000 thrashers mentioned here and it was very early on in the revival movement.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" music video!
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:15 pm 

I would like to bring Hexen's State of Insurgency to the table. Really overlooked album from an era where Thrash metal was struggling to get relevant again.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 pm 

^ Speaking of which, Hexen is active again and from what I can tell, there's plans to reissue both albums and maybe work on new material, too.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:49 pm 

If we're including albums from the early 2000s/late 90s - as some people are - then we need to throw a bone to Agent Steel - Omega Conspiracy.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:42 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Oooh, this is my kind of topic!

The first one that comes to mind is "Tempo of the Damned". That one was the big one for me at the time and I think still holds up VERY well.

I LOVE "TEMPO OF THE DAMNED" every bit as much as their first album! IT'S THAT GOOD. :-D :-D :-D

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
^ Speaking of which, Hexen is active again and from what I can tell, there's plans to reissue both albums and maybe work on new material, too.

Is Carlos back on drums?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:56 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:

Is Carlos back on drums?

Why do you think they are active again? Nothing on their FB page, for example.

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:39 am 

blackmantram wrote:
I would like to bring Hexen's State of Insurgency to the table. Really overlooked album from an era where Thrash metal was struggling to get relevant again.

This, hands down. State of Insurgency is one of few thrash albums from the era that I find myself actually returning to. It has the annoying not quite shouting, not quite singing vocals that seemed prevalent then, but the music more than makes up for it.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:58 am 

Rodman wrote:
If we're including albums from the early 2000s/late 90s - as some people are - then we need to throw a bone to Agent Steel - Omega Conspiracy.

That's an excellent album, but I think is out of the bounds of this thread or else I am going to throw in Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred too!

It's a shame that King's Evil didn't go further. I thought they had potential.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:16 am 

If we go back to the thrash resurgence and outside the US (and why not? :P ), than I'd put The Gathering right up there and Artillery's B.A.C.K. Then the Germans (Kreator, Sodom and Destruction) in 2001, Paradox - Collision Course in 2000, with the the gldly rhythm section of the Holzwarth brothers. Major kudos to Hypnosia too, EP and album were de-li-cious.

Of course Sodom never really went away, I am one of the few (unfortunately) that think Get What You Deserve is great but evem if that's too punk for some, 1997's Till Death Do Us Unite is inexplicably ignored, I think it absolutely crushes and has a lot of memorable, ass-kicking songs (No Way Out, Hanging Judge) and the same is true about Tankard, whose Kings of Beer I think is the most overlooked album in their career, LOVE it. Beast of Bourbon probably my second favorite from the decade.

Re: Megadeth's comeback. I used to think System has Failed was too little (3 song album or something), I now consider their best after Youthanasia, some fine songs and the last time Dave sang truly well (in the studio of course). I did not care for UA at all and the fact that Dave seems to be singing one octave lower than what he would a few years ago is a major factor and the other is the underwhelming players (sorry). Endgame I thought was the best for the obvious reasons but that album lost its appeal very early. The enthusiasm of having Megadeth play that style wore off and the aforementioned problems with UA stood out more. Now, that's the album I think is a 3-song album. Including the intro. Kiko is the first guitarist since Friedman and Poland that has sufficient chops AND charisma and musicality to fill their boots.

+1 to Omega Conspiracy and easily Order of the Illuminati too (which I think I prefer).

One more vote of confidence for Bonded by Blood - Feed the Beast, Hexen - State of Insurgency (and the next, although I wish that band had less generic vocals and I expected more from them. Like taking the next step to break through the NWOTM boundaries, they only half did that imo), Gama Bomb (one of my favorites from that whole scene and I prefer them over Evile who got more fame)...

And since we got to 2009 with Megadeth, sorry but the award goes (no contest) to Vektor - Black Future. That album fucking shocked me at how awesome it was (is). And finally, someone doing something different (don't give me the Voivod, Obliveon argument, that's way off the mark and completely inadequate to describe their music).

...aaand since I've now incorporated death metal strains in the discussion, I should add Deceased (always a joy to listen to) and Ghoul (Maniaxe and Splatterthrash particularly) to the mix. And to further expand: Children - Hard Times Hanging at the End of the World (2009) was one of my most gratifying finds a few years ago, loved it (tech thrash stuff)

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next