Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:11 pm 

Jeramie Kling & Taylor Nordberg wrote:
It is with both regret and relief that we announce our departure from Massacre. To everyone who warned us a year ago when we joined the band: you were right. It has been a year of severe ups and downs and unfortunately it has become a working environment we cannot be a part of any longer.

What was presented as a democracy turned out to be a dictatorship with an excruciating lack of communication. We will not stand by and have our reputations meddled with by childish behavior. We present ourselves as professionals and bring 110% of our beings into all of the projects we have.

We wrote and presented 14 songs for the band’s new album, provided our contacts in the industry which we have naturally/organically procured through our years of touring, only to be accused of trying to take over the band, which is a paranoid delusion. It is also unfortunate that a certain individual refused to speak on the phone to us to discuss any issue of the band, but we have no choice but to bow out of this unhealthy relationship.

We apologize to our fans and the Massacre fans that they will not get to hear the new album we wrote for the band…at least not as a Massacre album. We cherish our time spent with Michael Borders and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Kam Lee wrote:
I’m done with opportunist. I’m done with new faces.

I’m sticking to TRUSTED friends that have proven loyalties.
Not by just words. Words are fleeting, words are meaningless, but by actions.
Like the cliche saying goes… Actions speak louder then words.

People of whom I have worked with and alongside for years. Those who have proven their worth

As well… Always – ALWAYS… Be weary of the company of jackals and the friends they keep.
If you’re going to lie in a den of jackals, and those dogs are pals with vipers that have poisoned you in the past. Remember it’s not too far off and before long that pack of ungrateful hounds will coil around that fucking snake yet again to attempt to inject it’s venom into you. All the while the jackals lick each other’s balls.

Serpents by nature are cruel merciless slithering and poison toxic cunts, and the company they keep are just as slimy.

https://www.theprp.com/2020/09/14/news/ ... -behavior/

I'm not sure what was supposed to come from this, but it doesn't look like there will be anything new from Massacre any time soon. Honestly, I've only ever listened to From Beyond, and like many, it was one of the albums that got me into Death Metal. It seems dubious that the band would produce anything like that again that would be viewed as a classic, since that lineup is long gone. Also, I found Kam Lee's "statement" (in quotes because you can't even call it that) to be absolutely hilarious. In no way did he address what's going on to his fans, just yelling about jackals licking each other's balls... :lol:

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:30 pm 

If Taylor and Jeramie are insanely prolific musicians who are friends with most of the people in the biz and have no problem with getting along with some notoriously difficult personalities (e.g. Glen Benton), and you somehow have a bad experience with both of them, it's probably just you, dude. If it smells like shit everywhere you go, check your shoes.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:07 pm 

Yeah, given Kam's reputation, I'm not really inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 pm 

Isn't this like, the 10th or 11th version of Massacre to go up in smoke? Who even cares at this point? From Beyond is a classic but it's been proven time and time again that Kam a toxic, insecure man-child who can't work with anyone unless they worship the ground he walks on. I've always found him incredibly overrated as well...he always sounded pretty damn goofy especially now that his voice is shot. I know Rick has problems too but he recently posted on Facebook a message from Kam where he basically accused their drummer of slicing his tires in order to get out of going to band practice. If true, that speaks for itself as to what kind of person he is.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:31 pm 

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the other two musicians but I can't imagine anybody siding with Kam on this one. I like From Beyond and all, but I'm not sure if it was good enough to justify this many dead horse beatings.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:13 pm 

From Beyond is only a classic by proximity. Outside of it being made by a bunch of guys who used to be in Death and coming out in the early 90s, it's a very average, middling album that's short in the way of actually memorable riffs and songs. There's a reason Dawn of Eternity is the only song from any Massacre release that has had any kind of staying power: It's the only genuinely great song they've ever made.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:38 pm 

I agree. From Beyond is fine, but it's reputation as a classic is far-fetched. Never cared for Massacre myself beyond a song or two from the aforementioned record. The two dudes who left the band have been involved in some decent stuff, and it would interesting to hear what they wrote in the Massacre style. Hopefully they release it in some capacity. But as someone else pointed out: This has happened over and over again. It really goes to show there is a genuine lack of interest in Kam Lee and Massacre because both are irrelevant and have nothing to cling to but the past. Good for them for bailing.

Thrashpit
Last FM! - New Profile!

AmIKevill
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:06 pm 

Hey guys, Kevill from Warbringer here, reactivated my account and came out of lurking to comment here!

So I've known Jeramie Kling for quite a while and can strongly vouch for him. I did two lengthy US tours with him, one where he was on Overkill's crew, and one recently where he was working our front of house sound. The guy is a true professional as he says, and is serious about his work. He's a real lifer of the road and works crew for bands when he isn't touring with his own various projects. He's also a caring, fun, and silly dude who I find easy to get along with.

I recall discussing with him something interesting regarding Massacre- I asked him "What do you do to handle those weird tempo fluctuations on the recording of "cryptic realms?" (tempo speed up throughout verses). Kling told me that he considers it essential to mimic the tempo slide on the record to get the proper "old school" feel. As you can imagine, this is a lot harder than just playing to a set tempo.

So when I read this, I basically assume someone else screwed the pooch. Kam Lee's statement suggests that I was correct in my assumption.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:34 pm 

AmIKevill wrote:
Hey guys, Kevill from Warbringer here, reactivated my account and came out of lurking to comment here!

So I've known Jeramie Kling for quite a while and can strongly vouch for him. I did two lengthy US tours with him, one where he was on Overkill's crew, and one recently where he was working our front of house sound. The guy is a true professional as he says, and is serious about his work. He's a real lifer of the road and works crew for bands when he isn't touring with his own various projects. He's also a caring, fun, and silly dude who I find easy to get along with.

I recall discussing with him something interesting regarding Massacre- I asked him "What do you do to handle those weird tempo fluctuations on the recording of "cryptic realms?" (tempo speed up throughout verses). Kling told me that he considers it essential to mimic the tempo slide on the record to get the proper "old school" feel. As you can imagine, this is a lot harder than just playing to a set tempo.

So when I read this, I basically assume someone else screwed the pooch. Kam Lee's statement suggests that I was correct in my assumption.

Nordberg is basically the same. Know plenty of people who have toured with him, and they have all said that he's a consummate professional and a fun, lighthearted dude. Both of these dudes are road warriors and they can find as much work as they want, and you don't get very far doing that if you're a dickhead. It's painfully clear that, once again, Lee is a crazy, toxic asshole who thinks he's a much bigger deal than he actually is. Some people just don't ever change.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:32 pm 

Subrick wrote:
From Beyond is only a classic by proximity. Outside of it being made by a bunch of guys who used to be in Death and coming out in the early 90s, it's a very average, middling album that's short in the way of actually memorable riffs and songs. There's a reason Dawn of Eternity is the only song from any Massacre release that has had any kind of staying power: It's the only genuinely great song they've ever made.

100% agreed. If it wasn't a bunch of bigger names and a Morrisound job no one would even remember it exists today.
I listen to it every now and then, but only because of the production and that it sounds about as "nameless" as death metal can.
If I can't decide whether to listen to Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary or Deicide... From Beyond it is!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:10 am 

true_death wrote:
Isn't this like, the 10th or 11th version of Massacre to go up in smoke? Who even cares at this point? From Beyond is a classic but it's been proven time and time again that Kam a toxic, insecure man-child who can't work with anyone unless they worship the ground he walks on. I've always found him incredibly overrated as well...he always sounded pretty damn goofy especially now that his voice is shot. I know Rick has problems too but he recently posted on Facebook a message from Kam where he basically accused their drummer of slicing his tires in order to get out of going to band practice. If true, that speaks for itself as to what kind of person he is.

I just checked out Ricks FB page. Wow.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 am 

From Beyond is a classic but what exactly has Massacre as a band contributed worthwhile in the last 28 years? This is definitely a case of harmful nostalgia, there's a hundred young death metal bands that deserve the platform Kam Lee has.

And what exactly is this band anyways? What connects it to the early days "beyond" Kam Lee's voice, which has been shot for years?

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 am 

Sokaris wrote:
From Beyond is a classic but what exactly has Massacre as a band contributed worthwhile in the last 28 years? This is definitely a case of harmful nostalgia, there's a hundred young death metal bands that deserve the platform Kam Lee has.

And what exactly is this band anyways? What connects it to the early days "beyond" Kam Lee's voice, which has been shot for years?

They were one of the first Tampa Bay bands to go anywhere and were an influence on a lot of the early UK acts, but yeah, Lee is hilarious. He likes to both overinflate his meager fame (i.e., being on one album that honestly hasn't aged that well and can't convincingly be spoken of in the same breath as the all-time classics, plus an EP that had a good title track and three other tracks that no one remembers, as well as being an early member of Death) and pretend he's some longtime underground stalwart who never sold out like his peers (when, in reality, he'd kill to have a career like the big Florida bands, but never could because he burns every bridge he steps on), depending on which one is more convenient. Pretty much everyone in Florida likes Kling and Nordberg, while Lee is, by all accounts, mostly thought of as an angry, bitter, toxic old man whose few friends mostly stick with him out of obligation and/or pity until they finally can't take it any more.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Sokaris wrote:

They were one of the first Tampa Bay bands to go anywhere and were an influence on a lot of the early UK acts, but yeah, Lee is hilarious. He likes to both overinflate his meager fame (i.e., being on one album that honestly hasn't aged that well and can't convincingly be spoken of in the same breath as the all-time classics, plus an EP that had a good title track and three other tracks that no one remembers, as well as being an early member of Death) and pretend he's some longtime underground stalwart who never sold out like his peers (when, in reality, he'd kill to have a career like the big Florida bands, but never could because he burns every bridge he steps on), depending on which one is more convenient. Pretty much everyone in Florida likes Kling and Nordberg, while Lee is, by all accounts, mostly thought of as an angry, bitter, toxic old man whose few friends mostly stick with him out of obligation and/or pity until they finally can't take it any more.

You can't leave out the fact that for years he's outright lied and pretended that the vocals on Promise aren't him - all in a pathetic and sad attempt to retain his "trve" image. I mean sure, anyone would distance themselves from that garbage but I can't imagine being such a coward about owning up to your mistakes :lol:. Oh, and there's also the fact that he converted to christianity between Second Coming and From Beyond (which is why he's wearing a cross in the booklet and thanks "The #1 Jesus Christ") only to renounce his faith immediately afterward and claim he was only trying to get laid :lol:.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:04 am 

Because if there's any one group of women that'll put out without hassle, it's hardcore Christians.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:08 am 

Not to mention that Lee can't even get his story about Promise straight. Either he wasn't on the album at all, or he was and it was all Rick Rozz's doing (never his fault, of course, he's always the poor innocent victim who trusted the wrong people).

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:38 pm 

I saw the band at Wacken in 2012 but it was with Rock Rozz/Terry Butler and no Kam Lee. They had a dude that looked and sounded like Corpsegrinder on vocals and it was awesome. I'm not sure how Kam Lee got the rights back with neither of those guys in the band (this is usually when one of those "AD" bands happens).

That said, everyone here is right that where there's smoke, there's fire. Nobody can really side with Kam on this one, whether or not we know the full story.

I love From Beyond though. Hopefully the current shambles of the band don't diminish people's view of that record because it's easily one of the greatest death metal records of all time. The guitar tone is monstrous and the vocals complement it very well.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:17 pm 

Judging by what he's been posting on his profile lately, Rick hasn't taken Kam's latest bullshit too kindly.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:41 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Judging by what he's been posting on his profile lately, Rick hasn't taken Kam's latest bullshit too kindly.

Probably hurts for Rick because he seems to have genuinely tried to be friends with Kam over the years, but has realized that he is a lost cause and an absolute mess of a human being who is just going to keep destroying everything he touches.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
I saw the band at Wacken in 2012 but it was with Rock Rozz/Terry Butler and no Kam Lee. They had a dude that looked and sounded like Corpsegrinder on vocals and it was awesome. I'm not sure how Kam Lee got the rights back with neither of those guys in the band (this is usually when one of those "AD" bands happens).

Speaking of which...what is the deal with the name? When Terry left, I remember there being a big to-do over the name, how Rick couldn't use it without Terry Butler or Bill Andrew's permission and he was going to call it Massacre X or something. This is one of those bands where the drama is more interesting than the band itself. Its amusing to me that, whenever the next Massacre album should appear, it will feature exactly 0 members from the previous album. That there is any interest at all speaks to the power of branding, I suppose.

SilverSpring2018
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am 

How this band has held anyone's interest--in the actual music, not the drama--is a mystery to me. Particularly in what has really been a sort of renaissance for interesting death metal the past few years. It sounds like Kling and Nordberg tried to save Kam Lee from himself. I love From Beyond and Inhuman Condition but those are 29 and 28 years old, respectively. Massacre is not Grave, Unleashed, Autopsy, Entombed/AD, etc. There's no continuous track record of good music that would warrant interest. Waste of time.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:41 am 

It looks like Kam Lee has already put together a new lineup and released a teaser for the next album, it sounds exactly like you'd expect - bog standard, generic "leftover" death metal...given how quickly it's come together (and Kam's statement about "ONLY WORKING WITH TRUE PEOPLE"), pretty clear this will be yet another faceless Rogga Johansson and/or Jonny Pettersson project, drums will probably be Travis Ruvo or Brynjar Helgetun.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:45 am 

SilverSpring2018 wrote:
How this band has held anyone's interest--in the actual music, not the drama--is a mystery to me. Particularly in what has really been a sort of renaissance for interesting death metal the past few years. It sounds like Kling and Nordberg tried to save Kam Lee from himself. I love From Beyond and Inhuman Condition but those are 29 and 28 years old, respectively. Massacre is not Grave, Unleashed, Autopsy, Entombed/AD, etc. There's no continuous track record of good music that would warrant interest. Waste of time.

It's mostly the old-school dudes who remember From Beyond being a pretty big album at the time. They probably could have had a decent career past Inhuman Condition had they managed to grow as a band and made good business decisions, but yeah, they got Kam'd. While plenty of subpar bands came back because of younger fans rediscovering them and venerating them as the long-lost unsung classics that they never were, Massacre was more a case of old-school dudes letting their memories of them cloud their judgment. Also kinda doubt that it's Rogga, Nordberg and Kling are part of Ribspreader and are friends with him and I can see Kam denouncing him as another traitor because of it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:48 am 

Between this and the Six Feet Under thread, I find myself thinking about how funny it would be if Kam Lee and Chris Barnes got their vocal capabilities switched.

MetlaNZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:06 pm 

There seems to be a lot of focus on From Beyond in this this thread, which is fair enough, but their ‘86 demos should not be forgotten and are IMO more important. The album and band suffered because From Beyond came out about 3yrs too late. I still think it’s a great album tho.
After reading here about all the bullshit going on, I don’t think we’ll be getting anything great out of them. Stranger things have happened tho, take a bow Possessed.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:25 am 

I guess more lawsuits and even less music will follow. A really tiresome scenario. Sad because Rick really seems to have put his heart into it, but Kam torpedoed the ship once again.

Gimme a reissue of the demos and let it rest, I say.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:48 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
I guess more lawsuits and even less music will follow. A really tiresome scenario. Sad because Rick really seems to have put his heart into it, but Kam torpedoed the ship once again.

Rick wasn't involved with this iteration. The last one with Edwin Webb was his last crack at it.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:25 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:

Rick wasn't involved with this iteration. The last one with Edwin Webb was his last crack at it.

Yes he was, he was involved with Kam in the "Massacre X" fiasco, later changed to "Gods of Death" and finally just "Massacre" (along with Mike Borders) before he and Mikey left for good last year, which is when Jeramie and Taylor came into the picture.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 am 

I guess that goes to show just how much of a shitshow anything involving Kam is.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:35 am 

true_death wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:

Yes he was, he was involved with Kam in the "Massacre X" fiasco, later changed to "Gods of Death" and finally just "Massacre" (along with Mike Borders) before he and Mikey left for good last year, which is when Jeramie and Taylor came into the picture.

Yeah, this. Sorry, I'm losing track by now, and truth be told, I can't bring myself to care that much.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:33 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
I guess that goes to show just how much of a shitshow anything involving Kam is.

For what it's worth, Rick was totally on Kam's side during all that time, talking about how "underrated" he was and how he "never got proper credit" and all that other nonsense. He even criticized the Death by Metal doc, saying he was embarrassed to appear in it because it didn't acknowledge Kam Lee or his "importance to Death" :lol:. I'm sure Rick really did just want to be friends with Kam again and kind of went along with it to appease him, but yeah...that shit hasn't aged well at all. At any rate, I'm sure Chuck is laughing his ass off, wherever he is.

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Yeah, this. Sorry, I'm losing track by now, and truth be told, I can't bring myself to care that much.

Don't blame you :lol:. The only reason I know is because following Massacre drama has been something of a personal hobby of mine for the last 10+ years, somehow I've always found it incredibly amusing because all these dudes are completely harmless, bumbling idiots who manage to fuck up everything they touch every single time without fail. No matter what it always turns into a gigantic soap opera, but without ever becoming dark/depressing the way say, Eric Hoffman drama tends to be.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:45 am 

Rick at this point just seems to be like "nope, done giving a fuck, done dealing with Kam, absolutely never again" and is washing his hands of everything to do with Kam and Massacre in general.

And yes, Massacre drama is the fun side of Florida death metal redneck drama, whereas Malevolent Creation is the trashy and ridiculous in a bad way side of it and Deicide is the depressing side.

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:24 am 

For what it's worth, I do think that "From Beyond" is a classic album and that Massacre were also one of premier death metal demo bands. It's just kind of a shame that Rick and Kam couldn't get it together enough so that you could go see Massacre doing a set of the old stuff with 2 members of the classic lineup. I don't have much hope for any new material under the Massacre name but it certainly would be cool to have seen them live.

Despite all the drama, I do feel that Kam Lee and Rick Rozz get a bum deal when the history of Death and death metal is discussed, with Rick being remembered as the guy who plays a lot of divebombs and Kam being regarded as notoriously difficult to get along with. At the end of the day, you can't really fuck with Rick having contributed a lot to the writing of Leprosy, Massacre being very influential to the formation of the genre and Kam having helped pioneer that particular style of vocals.

Kalaratri
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:47 am 

true_death wrote:
It looks like Kam Lee has already put together a new lineup and released a teaser for the next album, it sounds exactly like you'd expect - bog standard, generic "leftover" death metal...given how quickly it's come together (and Kam's statement about "ONLY WORKING WITH TRUE PEOPLE"), pretty clear this will be yet another faceless Rogga Johansson and/or Jonny Pettersson project, drums will probably be Travis Ruvo or Brynjar Helgetun.

You sure called this one, they just announced their new lineup and all three of those guys are in it, along with Scott Fairfax of Benediction/Memoriam.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:27 pm 

Surprise of the century, right there :lol:. With the dream team of both Johansson and Pettersson involved, this is definitely going to redefine boring, stale, leftover death metal (with weak cookie monster garbling at the helm) for centuries to come \m/

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:41 pm 

I didn't exactly hate the teaser (though it's not exactly special), but I'm not a huge death metal fan. But the video is fucking cringe. "Fuck the haters", "Proper old school death metal", that wavy effect in the name? This looks like a parody.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:32 pm 

From Beyond is better than Leprosy. Fuckin' deal with it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188 - Eerie Evaluation Episode 1: Discussing Cold Lake/Vanity/Nemesis era Celtic Frost...

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:22 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
I didn't exactly hate the teaser (though it's not exactly special), but I'm not a huge death metal fan. But the video is fucking cringe. "Fuck the haters", "Proper old school death metal", that wavy effect in the name? This looks like a parody.

The verse is fine, I guess, but the main riff is one of the most generic, "I've been playing the guitar for two years and have just started writing songs" riffs I've ever heard.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:14 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

The verse is fine, I guess, but the main riff is one of the most generic, "I've been playing the guitar for two years and have just started writing songs" riffs I've ever heard.

You just described most of Rogga's bands.

MetlaNZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:09 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
From Beyond is better than Leprosy. Fuckin' deal with it.

Whatever

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next