Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 am 

Basically inspired by that thread of metal bands you only like for one album I'm talking about bands that have a few songs you just find absolutely top teir and then you listen to the rest kinda thinking "well that's decent enough, but let's listen to that other song again"

My first answer is Akercocke because they have 3 songs I consider to be top teir masterpieces and those would be Leviathan, and the first two songs off Words that go unspoken... I absolutely think those 3 songs stand up against any other amazing song in the genre and then I put on their other stuff and its definitely good, definitely well written and performed but theres just none of those great hooks or something I'm not sure what it is

I think another one in all honesty is probably Pantera, I absolutely adore the first half of Cowboys from hell and they have a smattering of great songs but most are just kinda alright as opposed to something revelatory.

Your guys' thoughts?

Perhaps.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:27 pm 

first thing to come to mind is the track enslaved by fear by beneath (iceland) - they're decent enough over their 3 albums in general, but that track is just head and shoulders above anything else they've done

then there's wrathprayer, whose full length was a big let down after hearing the fantastic first track they released before the album (i'm pretty sure it was the darkest fyre)

i'm also gonna mention deströyer 666 - i am the wargod, since it took a while before other tracks from them really clicked with me, tho' it doesn't really apply anymore - it would have been my go to answer to the thread 10 years ago

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:31 pm 

Pantera. Actually 2 songs specifically, Power Metal and Psycho Holiday.

Children of Bodom never really wowed me, but man Silent Night Bodom Night is such a fucking good song.

Radulfr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:33 pm 

Dismember is like this for me.

In every album they have at least one or two brilliant songs, like Enslaved To Bitterness, Tragedy Of The Faithful, Phantoms Of The Oath, and others.
Collection By Blood might just be my favourite metal song ever, it's so good.

The rest of their stuff, however, is just boring to me. Not bad but just not what I'm into. They don't have a single album that I can listen to in full and enjoy it.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:37 pm 

Nothing more to add.

Thuderclese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:38 pm 

I feel this way about Eluveitie. Each of their albums to me has several great songs and the is just sorta so-so for me. I think they could combine those songs from all of their albums and make one great album.

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:34 pm 

I guess Havok, Vektor, Evile, Municipal Waste, and similar thrash metal bands. A few good songs, but their fulls albums didn't hook me.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 pm 

For me, a "one-hit wonder" is Stream of Passion - Passion (the video edit, without the vocalise bits).
There are quite a few other examples, but... I was so disappointed back then that no other songs on that album were as appealing as that one... and even the album version felt unnecessarily dragging with those extra vocal showcase parts (and that's coming from a person who fully acknowledges that Marcela Bovio is an amazing singer!)

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:08 pm 

Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face

They just do absolutely nothing for me, although I’ve only heard the first 3 albums in full. Maybe I’ll give The Bleeding a shot soon.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:13 am 

des91 wrote:
Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face

They just do absolutely nothing for me, although I’ve only heard the first 3 albums in full. Maybe I’ll give The Bleeding a shot soon.

i felt like this for a long time, but at some point punded into dust and frantic disembowelment joined the list of great tracks, and eventually i gave some albums enough chances for them to click with me better

Reply to topic