Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:34 pm 

Krisiun are a group I rarely hear mentioned much nowadays. I have seen them a couple of times live and they are a fantastic live act.

I really like there 2011 release The Great Execution. It was different that what came before with longer songs and some "slightly" progressive elements on a couple of songs. I actually considered the album before, The Southern Storm as one of my top 40 from the 2000-2009 period.

Ageless Venomous is a very good record but ruined by terrible production, especially the bass drums. I really wish that album would get a remix/remaster in the future. A lot of people disliked Forged In Fury from 2015, but I thought it was a pretty decent but lesser album. Their last full length, Scourge Of The Enthroned got better reviews.

Conquerors Of Armageddon was another excellent record. If you like their style of death metal, they have actually been been pretty consistent over the years.

What do you guys think about Krisiun?

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:58 pm 

I don't think they're particularly popular around here.

Agree that they are fantastic live, even more so considering it's just 3 guys. It's one of those bands you don't expect much or don't know what to expect but then the show blows you away. Unfortunately their albums don't convey the power and energy at all. None of them. But weak productions are unfortunately fairly standard for death metal.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:07 pm 

Conquers Of Armageddon is one of the best death metal albums I’ve ever heard. I saw these guys a ton around the time of that album, and it is the album that most accurately conveys the ferocity of their live shows.

I dig Ageless Venomous and Apocalyptic Revelations as well.

Can take or leave everything else in their discography.
Obliteration

Last edited by FirebathDan on Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:08 pm 

Quote:
I don't think they're particularly popular around here.

I think you are right. I have not seen one of their albums mentioned in the "best" from 2000-2009. To be honest, that is not a huge surprise because I would not have an album near the top ten either. Maybe Top 40 or so.

I also really like Alex growl. It hits the right spot for me, just aggressive enough but not over the top.

Belastbar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:12 pm 

For me, the output of Krisiun is greatly marred by the trend of the late 2000s to record metal as undynamic and sterile as possible. Both Southern Storm and The great Execution have this annoying, in your face blast beat sound that just gives me a headache. It's especially weird on The great Execution, where single snare hits sound quite reasonable, but the blast beats cause ear fatigue quickly.

Both the early albums AssassiNation and Conquerors of Armageddon and the later albums Forged in Fury and Scourge of the Enthroned do not have this problem, which really shows how bad metal recording was in 2010.

77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:26 pm 

Quote:
For me, the output of Krisiun is greatly marred by the trend of the late 2000s to record metal as undynamic and sterile as possible.

Yeah, I can certainly see your point about that. I though SS production was pretty sterile, although I thought it was better on TGE.

Even so, they mostly play a blasting style of death metal so annoying drums can be a problem. I saw it as more of a problem on Ageless Venomous album.

By the way, Max is an awesome drummer in my opinion.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:39 pm 

Krisiun are a band which on paper, I really should like, but even after repeated listens they've done nothing for me. It's not even like they're horrendous or anything, just so incredibly meh. Maybe I just haven't heard the right album from them yet.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:56 pm 

Have a few of their albums, pretty good. But not a huge fan or anything. Lots of time between listening to one of their songs. I will say though that as a live band they're so much fun. Seen them twice and they tear the place up.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Raped Christ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:08 am 

I initially didn't get them at all, became a fan after watching the "Live Armageddon" DVD. Seen them live once afterwards, them and 2014 Suffocation were the most crushing and fantastic live bands in my experience.

Favorite album for me is Apocalyptic Revelation, I also like Conquerors and Works of Carnage. Ageless Venomous is good music, but I could never really enjoy it with that production. Gotta give it another chance soon I guess.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:33 am 

Great live band historically held back by bad production that fails to capture their live essence, and also frequently by inconsistent songwriting. That being said, when their music hits, it hits.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:40 am 

I've found that Krisiun have a massive blend factor as a band - their riffing does seem quite signature to them, but even then it doesn't always hit the mark. Conquerors of Armageddon is a pretty solid record that I'm interested in revisiting. I also heard good things about Southern Storm and a few of the newer ones, but from my most recent memories I found that they're a band that'll have great songs thrown around here and there, but a full album is a tedious listen.

I did catch them live though, and they are indeed a solid live band.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:55 pm 

Krisiun were a big part of my entry to death metal some 21 years ago, and I'll always hold a love for them. They're not a top 10 band, which is something easy to admit, but when they hit it's a wild knockout hook.

Oddly enough, I was wearing my Krisiun shirt when I came to the board today. Fitting, eh?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:31 pm 

I love Krisiun's drummer. The dude is tight as hell and does those pounding military rhythms better than anyone. The riffs leave a lot to be desired, however. Even revered albums like Conquerors of Armageddon end up feeling like a less engaging version of Angelcorpse to me. It doesn't help that they've seemed to be running out of ideas on their last two albums.

That said, they still have some killer songs, and albums like Southern Storm are generally pretty engaging. They're also a killer live band, as others have mentioned. I honestly think they might have been better off taking more time in between albums. They're the type of band that has a big discography but, to me, a lot of their albums (aside from their early stuff) feel really similar to one another.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:58 pm 

I love Ageless Venomous. Everything else by them is just mediocre. I dont dislike them, and live for a three piece they had a pretty massive sound, but they just arent anything I get excited about either. Side note i was extremely dissapointed they didnt play Dawn of Flagelation when I saw them, that is far and away their best song IMO.

77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:12 pm 

Quote:
I honestly think they might have been better off taking more time in between albums.

They did certainly release a lot of albums early on, but they did have a bit of a break in the 2010s. They released an album in 2011 and then in 2015, so therefore a 4 year gap.

I forgot to mention Works Of Carnage which is another album I like.

I think Ageless Venomous has some of their best stuff, but that production of the drums is really horrendous in my opinion.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:24 pm 

I love the ones I have and listen to them often. And I made my selections based on reviews I read here before buying the albums on cd.

They are:

Black Force Domain
Conquerors of Armageddon
Works of Carnage
and Southern Storm

I avoided Ageless Venomous after reading about the production, and some of the others just had lesser scores or whatever, but I'm sure they're all decent and I know the 4 I have are killer. Great band :headbang:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:50 am 

With the exception of Forged in Fury, all Krisiun albums are at least good. Despite the wonky production, Ageless Venomous is very good. My introduction was AssassiNation which has sentimental value to me. Overall they're a pretty good band.

I did see them live once in Sydney and they were really good. Thick sound and menacing stage presence.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:54 pm 

I like the band, aided a lot by seeing them live many times due to their constant touring - perhaps more than any other band. Headlining bands would often tour every two years, sometimes every year, but it seemed like Krisiun were here every year, always as a supporting act, and would jump from one tour to another, sometimes playing the same place a month or two apart on a different tour. It must help only having three members, who are all brother and seem to get along very well.

The problem with their records is that every one of their first many records except Conquerors of Armageddon had production that was fucked up in some way. Southern Storm is great, but I think they also missed the time to make their mark deeper.

So, they're not a band I go back to a lot on record, but I'm always excited to see them live.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 am 

For me they're typical representatives of "middle class" metal bands that exist in every genre. They're not champions but they are loyal to their style and show it in great way. I like their Conquerors of Armageddon and Assassination but seems like that they're trapped in a corner of creativity crisis.

77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:55 am 

I
Quote:
like their Conquerors of Armageddon and Assassination but seems like that they're trapped in a corner of creativity crisis.

I think their style of music can be quite limiting but they did try to change things up on The Great Execution. I mean, most of their early albums were between the 35-40 minutes. TGE was over an hour in length. They brought in a lot of mid-tempo, crushing groove into their sound which I thought worked quite well.

They tried it again with Forged In Fury, but I think they got a lot a negative feedback on that record. Personally, while it is a weaker album it is still a decent slap of metal.

Their last album was more of a back to basics record.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:07 am 

I blind-bought one of their albums, and must've listened to it at most twice. Didn't click.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:42 am 

Oddly enough I saw them live once and thought it was great, so I went to listen to their albums. I don't remember it at all, but I remember thinking it was pretty meh.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:50 am 

I could never get into them, to be honest. I keep trying every so often, but they just don't do it for me.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:50 pm 

The biggest problem with Krisiun albums is that each one has a songwriting style. There will be a pattern that they really enjoy and hammer home in how they write every tune for a record, from similar beginnings and riff construction throughout, and then the next album will be a minor tweak on it.

Listen to the first minute of each song on Southern Storm and tell me that they don't all bleed together due to virtually identical pacing and riffing. Each album does this, about 8-12 variations on the same phrasing and ideas before bowing out and coming back with some tweaks in a few years.

I still really enjoy them, of course, but it's something I've noticed over the years.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:22 pm 

Right, just blasting 'Conquerors of armageddon' and it does indeed pound. Thanks for the rec, I've just discovered my Krisiun album after trying several and none really clicking.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:23 pm 

Never heard of them unfortunately.

Reply to topic