Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:56 pm 

I didn't want to open a new thread but since I've been listening to a lo of Opeth and they've been discussed here, I just wanted to say that I just found "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" (the track from Ghost Reveries) is incorrectly named everywhere.

This one should be just "Harlequin Forest". "Reverie" is the name of the "hidden" intro this song has. If you own the CD and put it on a CD player, when you finish "Atonement" there's a small intro as a gap between both songs. That intro is called "Reverie". It makes sense that the song in the CD is called "Reverie/Harlequin Forest" but CD ripping software can't detect gaps as independent elements so they just append them to the previous track. That's why you can listen to "Reverie" at the end of Atonement.

The correct naming of these songs should be "Atonement/Reverie" and "Harlequin Forest".

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:12 am 

There have been a few interesting lists so far. I have always known that this community here is certainly more into extreme metal territories like black, death and thrash metal which is obviously perfectly fine. I'm however surprised that nobody has been focusing on symphonic, power or even just heavy metal music. When I was a teenager and discovering the metal scene a decade and a half ago, bands such as HammerFall, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius and Nightwish were all the rage. Some ratings on this site seem to confirm this as well. It seems that those bands and their records didn't age very well however. I guess most folks discover more brutal subgenres as time goes by but it's still surprising that there are almost no positive nostalgic thoughts about the bands mentioned above. These bands and their genres are certainly underrepresented here.

''Concert'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/concert-a-short-story-c31088448

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:47 am 

kluseba wrote:
There have been a few interesting lists so far. I have always known that this community here is certainly more into extreme metal territories like black, death and thrash metal which is obviously perfectly fine. I'm however surprised that nobody has been focusing on symphonic, power or even just heavy metal music. When I was a teenager and discovering the metal scene a decade and a half ago, bands such as HammerFall, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius and Nightwish were all the rage. Some ratings on this site seem to confirm this as well. It seems that those bands and their records didn't age very well however. I guess most folks discover more brutal subgenres as time goes by but it's still surprising that there are almost no positive nostalgic thoughts about the bands mentioned above. These bands and their genres are certainly underrepresented here.

Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Edguy, Children of Bodom and such bands were formative for a lot of us, and these are still bands that we love and appreciate for what they are, but lots of us eventually expanded our tastes beyond these bands and their respective subgenres. Not necessarly because our tastes now are better, but these bands are definitely more accessible and were typically gateway bands for most of us. Again, this doesn't mean that they are lesser bands, but a lot of people go through these bands when discovering metal, but eventually end up listening to more extreme subgenres.

But again, a lot of these bands you listed actually did get included in many publicly shared ballot in this thread, and I expect more people will have given votes for bands like Edguy, Sonata Arctica and, especially Children of Bodom. I actually expect Follow the Reaper to make it into the top 10, or at least top 20.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:48 am 

In_Zane wrote:
4) Gorgoroth - Incipit Satan (2000)

I think ''Incipit Satan'' to ''Ad Majorem Gloriam Sathanas'' is their last really great records (I love everything prior, though). ''Radix'' and ''Quantos'' ain't quite as good imo, but still enjoyable. Shame about the shit that went down between them.. just imagine all those great records that could've come after if Gaahl and King ov Poseur was still in the band. :(

I agree, I really liked both of those albums, and Incipit Satan did cross my mind... "A World To Win" and "Unchain My Heart" are 2 of the best Gorgoroth songs imo.

Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:43 am 

My list. It is heavily early 00's metal, not sure why, just seems like a lot that are personal classics came out in 00-05.

1. Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred (2000)
2. Enslaved - Mardraum (Beyond the Within) (2000)
3. The Chasm - Spell of Retribution (2004)
4. Windir - 1184 (2001)
5. Falkenbach - Heralding the Fireblade (2005)
6. Absu - Tara (2001)
7. Destroyer 666 - Cold Steel ... For an Iron Age (2002)
8. Deceased - Supernatural Addiction (2000)
9. !T.O.O.H.! - Pod vládou biče (2003)
10. Tribulation - The Horror (2009)

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:58 pm 

Nice, another 1184 vote. That was a really important album for me growing up, my first underground extreme metal album. Before that, Dimmu Borgir was about as deep as I was in underground metal. It's still a great album too, just beautifully composed.

Also been spinning Sons Of Northern Darkness from Immortal after seeing all the votes for it. It's an album I've kind of forgot about, and wow- damn good. Definitely up there with the best of the "polished" Immortal albums. Some killer riffing!

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:58 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
In_Zane wrote:
4) Gorgoroth - Incipit Satan (2000)

I think ''Incipit Satan'' to ''Ad Majorem Gloriam Sathanas'' is their last really great records (I love everything prior, though). ''Radix'' and ''Quantos'' ain't quite as good imo, but still enjoyable. Shame about the shit that went down between them.. just imagine all those great records that could've come after if Gaahl and King ov Poseur was still in the band. :(

I agree, I really liked both of those albums, and Incipit Satan did cross my mind... "A World To Win" and "Unchain My Heart" are 2 of the best Gorgoroth songs imo.

I put Incipit Satan album on my list when we were voting for best black metal albums, and now I opted for Ad Majorem..., Twilight... and Quantos... They have great discography and it's difficult to choose.

CoF's Midian got a lot of votes, I can't wait to see where it's going to land.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:11 pm 

Vikingligrveldi wrote:
My list. It is heavily early 00's metal, not sure why, just seems like a lot that are personal classics came out in 00-05.

This is a really great album. I definitely find it's a bit too one-dimensional to rank as highly for me, but there are few albums better when looking to replicate that vicious sound that Kreator used to have.

Have you listened to Deletion of Humanoise by King's-Evil? It gives me pretty similar vibes to that Hypnosia record. Same thing with Dekapitator's two records, though I would say those guys are a bit more song-focused than the other two bands.

Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:55 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Vikingligrveldi wrote:

This is a really great album. I definitely find it's a bit too one-dimensional to rank as highly for me, but there are few albums better when looking to replicate that vicious sound that Kreator used to have.

Have you listened to Deletion of Humanoise by King's-Evil? It gives me pretty similar vibes to that Hypnosia record. Same thing with Dekapitator's two records, though I would say those guys are a bit more song-focused than the other two bands.

I haven't listened to it, but I will give it a listen.

I think I love that Hypnosia album because when it came out there really wasn't that much similar so it was kind of a breath of fresh air at the time. Although looking back at the list, I think The Chasm is probably the band that I have returned to the most over the years out of all of them, so maybe they should have been in the first position haha.

With Hypnosa, it was still a few years away before Municipal Waste and the retro-thrash wave came along. I think they have a bit more than just Kreator, there is also a bit of Morbid Angel, Slayer and Metallica in there as well. The Dekapitator stuff is great too. Also Fastkill from Japan. Their first album is pretty ripping.

Last edited by Vikingligrveldi on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:58 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Nice, another 1184 vote. That was a really important album for me growing up, my first underground extreme metal album. Before that, Dimmu Borgir was about as deep as I was in underground metal. It's still a great album too, just beautifully composed.

They really were an awesome band, great musicianship and composition. I am not over the moon about pagan/folk/viking style metal, but Windir was always a favorite.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:09 pm 

Early 2000's were formative years for me. The nostalgia factor can't be avoided. My list had to include those well known albums that I listened to a lot and still do. But I think these albums had a big enough impact on Metal and deserve their praise.

1. Opeth - Blackwater Park (Important album, indeed)
2. Enslaved - Below The Lights (It ages like good wine)
3. Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper. (RIP Alexi. He must have had so much fun making this album)
4. Agalloch - The Mantle. (Hard time choosing between this one and Ashes)
5. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
6. Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done (Their best. Crown achievement of their evolution up to that point. Struggle to expand their sound further since then)
7. In Flames - Clayman
8. Katatonia - Viva Emptiness (A transition album in their career, but a creative peek)
9. Ensiferum - Ensiferum (A lot of fun here)
10. Satyricon - Now, Diabolical (Might be their best. As a black metal band in the 90s, they were not the most interesting to me. But this album have so much groove and solid riffs. It's just a very solid metal album.)

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:53 pm 

Ludorff wrote:
Early 2000's were formative years for me. The nostalgia factor can't be avoided. My list had to include those well known albums that I listened to a lot and still do. But I think these albums had a big enough impact on Metal and deserve their praise.

1. Opeth - Blackwater Park (Important album, indeed)
2. Enslaved - Below The Lights (It ages like good wine)
3. Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper. (RIP Alexi. He must have had so much fun making this album)
4. Agalloch - The Mantle. (Hard time choosing between this one and Ashes)
5. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
6. Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done (Their best. Crown achievement of their evolution up to that point. Struggle to expand their sound further since then)
7. In Flames - Clayman
8. Katatonia - Viva Emptiness (A transition album in their career, but a creative peek)
9. Ensiferum - Ensiferum (A lot of fun here)
10. Satyricon - Now, Diabolical (Might be their best. As a black metal band in the 90s, they were not the most interesting to me. But this album have so much groove and solid riffs. It's just a very solid metal album.)

Very fun list overall. It's good to see Clayman and Damage Done getting some love. Both were very important in shaping my tastes when I first got into metal.

Love your 2nd to 4th picks. Enslaved, Children of Bodom and Agalloch. All three of these records are masterpieces in their own unique way.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:54 pm 

Ludorff wrote:

I figured I would be the only one listing this one. Love that record, the opening 4 tracks or so are just killer after killer. I prefer this period of Satyricon to what I've heard of the early stuff. But I'm not a huge BM fan to start with.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:27 am 

Ludorff's list is freaky, it reads like my album rotation on a random week in 2006. Possibly different selections from Enslaved and Ensiferum, but otherwise a bit uncanny.

kluseba wrote:
I'm however surprised that nobody has been focusing on symphonic, power or even just heavy metal music. When I was a teenager and discovering the metal scene a decade and a half ago, bands such as HammerFall, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius and Nightwish were all the rage. Some ratings on this site seem to confirm this as well. It seems that those bands and their records didn't age very well however. I guess most folks discover more brutal subgenres as time goes by but it's still surprising that there are almost no positive nostalgic thoughts about the bands mentioned above. These bands and their genres are certainly underrepresented here.

Those bands certainly don't have the cache they once did (part of it is lackluster more recent offerings), but they're hardly forgotten artists, we still discuss them on a reasonably regular basis, Sonata Arctica in particular in this very thread. SA and NW in particular might be in my top 50, and at the end of the 00s probably would have been even higher.

---

So since I'm in a quagmire on finishing my top 10, I decided to work on filling out my extended list, and it's almost as aggravating. I have a reasonably comprehensive list now, and even a top 300 (still just a single release per artist) is starting to get restrictive and painful to cut some bands. Only 10 is insanity. Such an amazing decade for metal, almost surely the best one at least for my tastes. But what I'm finding especially past 100 or so is that there are a ton of bands that I know I like, but I'm just not quite as familiar with them as I'd like, so picking particular albums is tricky. I might remember a favorite song or two in particular spread out over multiple albums, but other tracks are hazier. Some of them it's been years since I've heard them, so my fond memories are a bit faded now, and without relistening to hundreds (maybe over a thousand) it becomes a challenging task. So much good music, so little time.

Another surprising omission that I don't believe a single person has listed at all is Savatage's Poets and Madmen. Maybe it's too much in the prog metal direction which is less apropos for forum tastes compared to their USPM origins, but still, I'd have thought it'd at least make someone's honorable mentions.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:38 am 

2002 - 2003 is when I started getting into metal beyond Metallica, Maiden and Priest, so quite a formative decade for me. Very painful eliminating stuff from the top ten (#1 was the only easy pick), but here goes:

1. Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneath (2003)
2. Hibria - Defying the Rules (2004)
3. Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn (2003)
4. Kamelot - The Black Halo (2005)
5. Keldian - Heaven’s Gate (2007)
6. Dark Tranquillity - Character (2005)
7. Dark Moor - The Hall of the Olden Dreams (2000)
8. Chimaira - Chimaira (2005)
9. Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of D-Generation (2004)
10. Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe (2008)

#11-20 listed below in no particular order:

Threshold - Dead Reckoning (2007)
The Haunted - rEVOLVEr (2004)
Celtic Legacy - Resurrection (2003)
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005)
Twilightning - Delirium Veil (2003)
Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing (2002)
Neaera - Armamentarium (2007)
Mercenary - Everblack (2002)
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night (2004)
Gamma Ray - No World Order (2001)

For many albums I really had to think hard about hits vs consistency. I felt like giving the underappreciated Paragon some love and “Impaler” on Revenge (2005) is easily one of my top ten songs from this era, but few of their albums hold up all the way. Same with some Saxon albums like Killing Ground (2001) - wow “Deeds of Glory'' goes hard, but as tends to be the case with their recent-ish stuff it’s a lot of bangers mixed with a lot of filler. Meshuggah’s ObZen (2008) I was surprised to see represented so little, and while I do think it’s a really great album, “Bleed” just stands out heaps above the rest and seems like an obvious modern metal classic that is still talked about to this day.

This was sooo fun to do, and I have added so much stuff to listen to from reading this thread as per usual. How did I sleep on Pharaoh for so long?

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Another surprising omission that I don't believe a single person has listed at all is Savatage's Poets and Madmen. Maybe it's too much in the prog metal direction which is less apropos for forum tastes compared to their USPM origins, but still, I'd have thought it'd at least make someone's honorable mentions.

I really like this era of Savatage, but I find Poets and Madmen is probably their weakest album since the change in sound. Admittedly, it has grown on me over time, but it is still a far cry from the four albums before it. Handful of Rain especially continues to age better and better with each listen.

I won't attribute my preference for the other albums to Zak Stevens, because Oliva is a great singer, but I just find the songs are less interesting and the album is a bit overlong.

All that said, I eagerly await new Savatage material, if it does surface.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:11 am 

If we do a 90s poll, Edge of Thorns will probably be top 5 for me or so. Handful of Rain was also good. After that I didn't care for much of anything Savatage did, except maybe a song or two.

Bloodstone's list - Celtic Legacy, Threshold and Twilightning are all killer picks too. Goddamn what a decade this was.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:32 pm 

Another decade, same question:

Is "The Evolution of Chaos" by Heathen eligible? It's Japan release date was late 2009, rest of the world 2010. Seriously considering this one, it meant much to me....but probably should refrain from taking it.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Danzig - The Coldest Sun - NEW!
Adder's Fork - "The Fatalist (A Coming Dark)" music video! - NEW!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:01 pm 

Submitted mine:

1. Enslaved - Vertebrae
2. 3 Inches of Blood - Advance and Vanquish
3. Cynic - Traced in Air
4. Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine
5. Agalloch - The Mantle
6. Devin Townsend - Addicted!
7. Amon Amarth - With Oden on our Side
8. Cobalt - Gin
9. Slough Feg - Traveller
10. Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night

I've never really been able to articulate why Vertebrae resonates with me so much. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it was the first Enslaved album that ever clicked for me and they've been my favorite band ever since.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:44 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
5. Agalloch - The Mantle

The August Engine is such a phenomenal album. Everything HoM ever released is pretty damn solid, but TAE reaches whole new levels of awesomeness. I considered the album for my top 10, but it didn't make the cut in the end. However, I did include The Mantle :)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:29 pm 

Hell yeah. I vividly remember putting on that album for the first time and being completely hooked within seconds. Everything Cobbett+Scalzi play on together (like Traveller!) is damn near perfect. Slough Feg and HoM are still great bands, but they've never quite been the same without that dynamic duo.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:22 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
5. Agalloch - The Mantle

The August Engine is such a phenomenal album. Everything HoM ever released is pretty damn solid, but TAE reaches whole new levels of awesomeness. I considered the album for my top 10, but it didn't make the cut in the end. However, I did include The Mantle :)

The Bastard is a masterpiece. When they released The August Engine I really wanted to like it but it saw less involvement from Scalzi and an increased amount of the type of prog I just do not like, and the 3rd album was even worse, haven't bothered with them since. They're one of those bands that really benefited from the prog boom that decade, but ultimately after the first album was a huge disappointment to me in the way they progressed.
The release of the very cool Unholy Cadaver album in '11 alleviated some of that disappointment. Hell, if anyone's got any recommendations for bands similar to Unholy Cadaver and HOMS The Bastard then send em my way please.

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:20 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Another decade, same question:

Is "The Evolution of Chaos" by Heathen eligible? It's Japan release date was late 2009, rest of the world 2010. Seriously considering this one, it meant much to me....but probably should refrain from taking it.

I voted for this album in the 2010-2020 poll. The archives has a 2010 release date for this album.

Hressi_strakurinn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:03 am 

1. Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
2. Funeral Mist - Salvation
3. Katharsis - VVorldVVithoutEnd
4. Antaeus - Blood Libels
5. Negative Plane - Et in Saecula Saeculorum
6. Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
7. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
8. Virus - The Black Flux
9. Marduk - Rom 5:12
10. Code - Resplendent Grotesque

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:51 am 

Bloodstone wrote:

Hey, my kind of list. Not my favorites from most of them, but all great albums. Dark Tranquillity votes continue to be split, I think that's the first for that particular album, probably one of their most overlooked.

Bloodstone wrote:
Meshuggah’s ObZen (2008) I was surprised to see represented so little, and while I do think it’s a really great album, “Bleed” just stands out heaps above the rest and seems like an obvious modern metal classic that is still talked about to this day.

I'm not. Probably a more pertinent discussion for my thread about quirks in M-A's preferences, but the djent angle isn't one most of the forum is into. Other forums I've been involved with would have had multiple of their albums represented.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:17 am 

Meshuggah haven't aged well. I used to be a great fan and sometimes I still revisit Nothing but I've lost interest over time. The fact they haven't evolved or done something interesting since (maybe) 2008 also killed some of the respect I had for the band.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:01 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Bloodstone wrote:
Meshuggah’s ObZen (2008) I was surprised to see represented so little, and while I do think it’s a really great album, “Bleed” just stands out heaps above the rest and seems like an obvious modern metal classic that is still talked about to this day.

I'm not. Probably a more pertinent discussion for my thread about quirks in M-A's preferences, but the djent angle isn't one most of the forum is into. Other forums I've been involved with would have had multiple of their albums represented.

That's my take on it too. Catch 33 is a contender for my list, but may just go into the honourable mentions. Meshuggah definitely are heavier, more aggressive and darker in tone than the other djent bands, but in general djent isn't too popular around here.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:02 pm 

Hressi_strakurinn wrote:
8. Virus - The Black Flux

Nice. I bought this album long ago (back when I was younger and thought clean vocals were lame), but I definitely like this one more than maybe their others.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:14 pm 

Dark Tranquillity definitely had a great decade back then. Character and Fiction are albums I still sometimes listen to, even though I'm less of a melodic death kinda guy these days - just really big, memorable tracks. Always preferred those two to Damage Done, which is still solid.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:43 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Bloodstone wrote:

Hey, my kind of list. Not my favorites from most of them, but all great albums. Dark Tranquillity votes continue to be split, I think that's the first for that particular album, probably one of their most overlooked.

Being so alone in picking Character was another surprise for me, it's by far my go-to DT album. I always found Fiction to be similar but just not as good and I missed Character's particular cold and bleak quality. Been a good while since I heard it though, I should give it another chance. Holographic Universe comes with some bias of a lot of impactful life stuff happening for me around its release, but damn the pop metal sensibility and vocals on that one are just something else. Everblack = top 10 gym albums, the riffs just go CHUNK CHUNK CRUNCH and the songwriting is rock solid too.

Curious, do you have a different favorite Disarmonia album? I like all their stuff but the top one is not even close for me.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Bloodstone wrote:

I remember long discussions on the forum about Meshuggah and I thought they had a lot of love around here, maybe it's not the same people posting here anymore though. Not a big djent guy myself by the way, I kind of view Meshuggah as its own thing even though their influence is obvious.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 pm 

1 = warning - watching from a distance 2006
2 = opeth - blackwater park 2001
3 = novembre - novembrine waltz 2001
4 = nile - black seeds of vengeance 2000
5 = agalloch - the mantle 2002
6 = austere - bleak 2007
7 = the fall of every season - from below 2007
8 = drowning the light - an alignment of dead stars 2009
9 = jesu - jesu 2004
10 = lamented souls - the origins of misery 2004

quite a hard time choosing but i just took it as a bit of fun in the end. some great music came out
just realising how very doom oriented my list is

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:15 pm 

So, I never bothered checking out Melechesh after their debut, because it wasn't all that special. All the praise they've been getting in the thread made me look up some reviews and do some youtube searching, and hot damn, I've been missing out! Got Sphynx and Emissaries in the mail today, and they're absolutely fantastic!

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:50 pm 

Bloodstone wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Bloodstone wrote:

Being so alone in picking Character was another surprise for me, it's by far my go-to DT album. I always found Fiction to be similar but just not as good and I missed Character's particular cold and bleak quality. Been a good while since I heard it though, I should give it another chance...Curious, do you have a different favorite Disarmonia album? I like all their stuff but the top one is not even close for me.

Character is consistently good, but it's just not quite varied enough for me, which was one of the things I liked about the 90s albums. It doesn't have anything as atmospheric as the intro to "The Mundane and the Magic", and lacks the vocal variety that you get from that track (especially with Sigland guesting) or "Misery's Crown".

Mind Tricks is my favorite from DA, due to the increased presence of Strid, and the guest track with Alvestam. The reviews for it are a perfect encapsulation of the frustrating difference in my taste from that of our reviewers. FoD-G is my second though, and it's fairly similar in quality. The others are all solid as well though.

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:50 pm 

1. Isis - Panopticon
2. Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
3. Opeth - Blackwater Park
4. Celtic Frost - Monotheist
5. Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets
6. Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun
7. Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters
8. Swallow The Sun - The Morning Never Came
9. Type O Negative - Dead Again
10. Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With The Stars

It was really hard to narrow this one down to the picks I chose. I made it a point to only do one album per band, which ended up being one of the most difficult parts of making my list. There were a lot of picks here where I was split between several albums: Isis (Panopticon/Oceanic), Agalloch (Ashes/The Mantle), Opeth (Blackwater Park/Deliverance), Neurosis (ASTNS/TEOES), etc.

Those that were in the running but didn’t quite make the cut:
Spoiler: show
Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire
Altar Of Plagues - White Tomb
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Morbid Angel - Gateways To Annihilation
Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
Immolation - Close To A World Below
My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours
Gorguts - From Wisdom To Hate
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
Shining - V: Halmstad

I wish I could’ve put more death metal and/or aggressive stuff in my list, but I had to go with my heart and I guess my temperament just leans more towards the melodic and atmospheric.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:01 pm 

Sathanas_BM wrote:
6. Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun
Gorguts - From Wisdom To Hate

I wish I could’ve put more death metal and/or aggressive stuff in my list, but I had to go with my heart and I guess my temperament just leans more towards the melodic and atmospheric.

I know exactly what you mean. I like plenty of more abrasive or abstract material, but it rarely makes it higher up on my lists. I'm still surprised at the lack of Gorguts on people's lists, but at least they're on a few for honorable mentions now. And I can't bring myself to vote for such an obviously non-metal album even though it's eligible, but that Ulver release is a masterpiece.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:32 am 

Razakel wrote:
Dark Tranquillity definitely had a great decade back then. Character and Fiction are albums I still sometimes listen to, even though I'm less of a melodic death kinda guy these days - just really big, memorable tracks. Always preferred those two to Damage Done, which is still solid.

Damage Done was my favorite back in my teenage years, but most likely because it was the only one I owned. The other two I hardly ever heard, except for some tracks, like Lost to Apathy, which I probably downloaded on LimeWire or something :P

Zephirus wrote:
1 = warning - watching from a distance 2006
5 = agalloch - the mantle 2002

Ah yes, Warning :) Happy to see them getting a bit of love in here!

The more public ballots we see, the more I'm convinced that The Mantle might end up somewhere in the final top 5!

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:54 am 

For most of it, it wasn't difficult for me to choose my albums, maybe the last two are rather interchangeable:

1. Negura Bunget - OM
2. Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
3. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
4. Agalloch - The Mantle
5. Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun
6. Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
7. Disillusion - Back To Times Of Splendor
8. Hollenthon - With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell
9. Code - Resplendent Grotesque
10. Totenmond - Reich In Rost

Runner-ups:

Spoiler: show
Cradle Of Filth - Midian
Golem - Dreamweaver
Threshold - Dead Reckoning
Unexpect - In A Flesh Aquarium
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II
Absu - Tara
Darkane - Layers Of Lies
Grabnebelfürsten - Schwarz Gegen Weiss

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:40 am 

Resplendent Grotesque has gotten way more mentions than I ever thought possible. Nice... dare I say, double-nice...

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:06 am 

Very tough choice. Very good decade.

Ayreon - The Human Equation (2004)
Ihsahn - The Adversary (2008)
Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors (2002)
Darkspace - Dark Space I (2003)
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (2005)
Aborym - Generator (2006)
Bilskirnir - Wotansvolk (2007)
Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)
Drudkh - Microcosmos (2009)

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:12 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
1. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (2006)
2. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal (2005)
3. Agalloch - The Mantle (2002)
4. Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis (2005)
5. Symphony X - The New Mythology Suite (2000)
6. Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape (2001)
7. Kalmah - Swampsong (2003)
8. Boris - Heavy Rocks (2002)
9. Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors (2002)
10. Benighted - Insane cephalic production (2004)

Oh, great selection. We share love for the same albums by Symphony X and Arcturus.
And I was in inch from including Kalmah in my list, too.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next