Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1021
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:29 pm 
 

Well Mustaine just confirmed today that they've hired someone to re-record the bass tracks for the new album, so all of Ellefson's work is being scrapped.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/dave-mustaine-confirms-david-ellefson-will-not-appear-on-upcoming-megadeth-album/

Quote:
"I just wanna thank you for all the kinds words and support as we get ready for this next tour and continue to hunt for a new bass player," the MEGADETH leader said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET). "We are making progress. The record's being completed, and we're gonna have someone coming in in a couple of weeks to replace the bass tracks that we had. Which should be relatively quick because the person we're talking to is a stellar bass player. And hopefully this will be an ongoing thing after the recording. Or we will find someone prior to the recording that will be our permanent guy going forward."

Top
 Profile  
HeavenDuff
Veteran

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Posts: 2575
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 pm 
 

Kalaratri wrote:
Well Mustaine just confirmed today that they've hired someone to re-record the bass tracks for the new album, so all of Ellefson's work is being scrapped.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/dave-mustaine-confirms-david-ellefson-will-not-appear-on-upcoming-megadeth-album/

Quote:
"I just wanna thank you for all the kinds words and support as we get ready for this next tour and continue to hunt for a new bass player," the MEGADETH leader said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET). "We are making progress. The record's being completed, and we're gonna have someone coming in in a couple of weeks to replace the bass tracks that we had. Which should be relatively quick because the person we're talking to is a stellar bass player. And hopefully this will be an ongoing thing after the recording. Or we will find someone prior to the recording that will be our permanent guy going forward."


Mustaine is such a fucking buffoon. What is that even supposed to achieve? Who is he even doing this for? Nobody asked for this. His whole holier than thou attitude is oozing pretentiousness and narcissism.

Top
 Profile  
metalkeith
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:07 pm
Posts: 89
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:41 pm 
 

Lame. A big part of my thought process on this was "at least he'll be on the record." It's a shame he'd been back a decade and only played on one good album in that time.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2086
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:00 am 
 

yeah this sucks.

Top
 Profile  
Space_alligator
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:43 am
Posts: 422
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:19 am 
 

I know Mustaine is habitually a douche, but this is just a bizarre dick move.

Hopefully the album tanks.
_________________
Ultraboris wrote:
dunno who the fuckhead is who gave the Master of Puppets a zero but damn I'd kick him in the jawnuts any day.

Top
 Profile  
hallowed78
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:53 am
Posts: 347
Location: LV-426
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:46 am 
 

Space_alligator wrote:
bizarre dick move


I thought this was Ellefson's forte.

Top
 Profile  
megadeth93
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:20 pm
Posts: 103
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:20 pm 
 

Dave seems to have confused Christianity with wokeness. Can he bring in Meghan Markle to do female gothic vocals?

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:40 pm 
 

megadeth93 wrote:
Dave seems to have confused Christianity with wokeness. Can he bring in Meghan Markle to do female gothic vocals?


Is your Britishness that overt that you have to throw in a jab at Meghan Markle where it hardly seems appropriate? Yikes.
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
megadeth93
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:20 pm
Posts: 103
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:42 pm 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
megadeth93 wrote:
Dave seems to have confused Christianity with wokeness. Can he bring in Meghan Markle to do female gothic vocals?


Is your Britishness that overt that you have to throw in a jab at Meghan Markle where it hardly seems appropriate? Yikes.


I'm actually of Croatian heritage. It was meant as a joke. Sorry if I offended you. But the word "yikes" is very offensive to me. We don't use it over here.

Top
 Profile  
TheAllNightRocker
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:58 pm
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 pm 
 

Subrick wrote:
Wow look how surprised I am can’t you tell how surprised I am at this incredibly surprising news?

Also, as cool as it would be, I think Newsted joining Megadeth is highly unlikely. Who ultimately knows, though?


Newsted has publicly said he is physically unable to play in a metal band anymore

Top
 Profile  
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Posts: 1918
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:21 am 
 

As a fan I think the removal of Ellefson from the new album is a weird one. He is so much connected to Megadeth it seems over the top to remove him when it seems he already recorded everything. However as a person I can understand why you wouldn't want someone you've had a falling out with on an album if its possible to remove them before the release.
_________________
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 3308
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am 
 

TheAllNightRocker wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Wow look how surprised I am can’t you tell how surprised I am at this incredibly surprising news?

Also, as cool as it would be, I think Newsted joining Megadeth is highly unlikely. Who ultimately knows, though?


Newsted has publicly said he is physically unable to play in a metal band anymore



Yeah, there is a video of him talking about his addiction to painkillers (not the album, i'm sure he hasn't kicked that addiction yet), and how his body simply cannot play that type of music anymore.


Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:20 am 
 

InnesI wrote:
As a fan I think the removal of Ellefson from the new album is a weird one. He is so much connected to Megadeth it seems over the top to remove him when it seems he already recorded everything. However as a person I can understand why you wouldn't want someone you've had a falling out with on an album if its possible to remove them before the release.


It's a royalties thing perhaps? Since Megadeth is a band that's big enough to worry about such things, doesn't it make some sort of sense that if he has no documented contributions to the album, he can't claim otherwise. And he has sued Mustaine in the past before so this is preventative, I guess.
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 146
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am 
 

I think keeping Junior around would definitely make for a lot of weird things to answer for, and Dave is super business minded in that regard. Even if the women who he filmed his dong for are all over 18, a bunch of folks are still going to have seen him flogging his meat online and I imagine that would come up a ton during concert tours and all. Megadeth is a wholesome band, they sing about how the government is going to lock us all in boxes and how immigrants are creeping in and invading America, we can't associate that with jacking off!
_________________
The Great Southern Threadkill

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:26 am 
 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
I think keeping Junior around would definitely make for a lot of weird things to answer for, and Dave is super business minded in that regard. Even if the women who he filmed his dong for are all over 18, a bunch of folks are still going to have seen him flogging his meat online and I imagine that would come up a ton during concert tours and all. Megadeth is a wholesome band, they sing about how the government is going to lock us all in boxes and how immigrants are creeping in and invading America, we can't associate that with jacking off!


I'm actually laughing out loud!

Megadeth is known for being that band from the 80's with the asshole frontman (and a ton of admirable lead guitarists). Mustaine used to say really awful things about other bands back in the day. Like when they opened for Aerosmith and he was like "they should be opening for us cause we all know they're on their last legs" or something to the effect.

But I take your point.
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 146
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:28 am 
 

He just has learned to hide his assholery behind more business lingo. Still doesn't stop him though, I remember seeing him at a concert once and he bitched out that someone working for the venue crew should be fired for what I assume is some small mistake. Dave's a real populist champ for the little guy y'know.
_________________
The Great Southern Threadkill

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:34 am 
 

"that guitarist from Queensryche looks like Jamie Lee Curtis" and "I liked it when Tom Araya was sucking my dick" are some other nuggets
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:11 am
Posts: 326
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:28 pm 
 

I couldn't be fucked working with a guy like Dave Mustaine, dude seems really controlling as hell.

Top
 Profile  
Death By Wall of Text
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:18 pm
Posts: 217
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:59 pm 
 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
He just has learned to hide his assholery behind more business lingo. Still doesn't stop him though, I remember seeing him at a concert once and he bitched out that someone working for the venue crew should be fired for what I assume is some small mistake. Dave's a real populist champ for the little guy y'know.

Was that the time he uploaded the really confusing "apology" video online ranting about the guy, then took like 8 attempts to successfully press the "stop recording" button?

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1615
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:45 pm 
 

Joey DeMaio should play in Megadeth. Would love to see what insanity would come out of pairing those two up.
Ellefson should play in Metallica.

Top
 Profile  
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 1474
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:22 pm 
 

I guess I'm just not nearly as hung up about this as most because the last twenty years have given some of the blandest, forgettable metal of any band with name recognition, much less that with Megadeth's stature. Let's face facts, Ellefson has been a complete non-factor ever since he rejoined. His role as a co-songwriter was reduced to next to nothing, his bass was dialed way back on the last few albums compared to his presence on the early classics and even then, he's wasn't nearly as adventurous or creative as he used to be. For all intents and purposes, he could've been practically any other session member the whole time, anyway. His return was purely a fan service move and what has it really given us in return?

As far as the situation that got him canned in the first place, ok, maybe it wasn't illegal if what's been said bears out as fact regarding consenting age, but it's still pretty fucking gross and our bars, our standards should be at least a little higher than, "Well, TECHNICALLY...," especially when one's side gig involves dictating morality from a pulpit and the end of a pointed finger while making bank for doing so.
_________________
blackcandle wrote:
GOOD MORNING.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:49 am 
 

^Exactly.

Mustaine is still a raging hypocrite though.
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 29923
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:19 am 
 

ModusOperandi wrote:
I guess I'm just not nearly as hung up about this as most because the last twenty years have given some of the blandest, forgettable metal of any band with name recognition, much less that with Megadeth's stature. Let's face facts, Ellefson has been a complete non-factor ever since he rejoined. His role as a co-songwriter was reduced to next to nothing, his bass was dialed way back on the last few albums compared to his presence on the early classics and even then, he's wasn't nearly as adventurous or creative as he used to be. For all intents and purposes, he could've been practically any other session member the whole time, anyway. His return was purely a fan service move and what has it really given us in return?

As far as the situation that got him canned in the first place, ok, maybe it wasn't illegal if what's been said bears out as fact regarding consenting age, but it's still pretty fucking gross and our bars, our standards should be at least a little higher than, "Well, TECHNICALLY...," especially when one's side gig involves dictating morality from a pulpit and the end of a pointed finger while making bank for doing so.


This is about the best way to sum it up. You'll always see the "technically he didn't break any laws" shit as if that's the only metric of how we should feel about anything.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Possessor

Top
 Profile  
MetalVermont
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm
Posts: 64
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:
I guess I'm just not nearly as hung up about this as most because the last twenty years have given some of the blandest, forgettable metal of any band with name recognition, much less that with Megadeth's stature. Let's face facts, Ellefson has been a complete non-factor ever since he rejoined. His role as a co-songwriter was reduced to next to nothing, his bass was dialed way back on the last few albums compared to his presence on the early classics and even then, he's wasn't nearly as adventurous or creative as he used to be. For all intents and purposes, he could've been practically any other session member the whole time, anyway. His return was purely a fan service move and what has it really given us in return?

As far as the situation that got him canned in the first place, ok, maybe it wasn't illegal if what's been said bears out as fact regarding consenting age, but it's still pretty fucking gross and our bars, our standards should be at least a little higher than, "Well, TECHNICALLY...," especially when one's side gig involves dictating morality from a pulpit and the end of a pointed finger while making bank for doing so.


This is about the best way to sum it up. You'll always see the "technically he didn't break any laws" shit as if that's the only metric of how we should feel about anything.


Strong posts ^

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1615
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:12 am 
 

His purpose in Megadeth since he rejoined has been to praise Mustaine in the media.

Top
 Profile  
Nicencold
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:22 pm
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:14 pm 
 

Mustaine owns the band, so he can do whatever he likes, but for me it's a scumbag move. For someone who is still crying about being kicked out Metallica, he sure seems to enjoy going through band members. My take is that he is an extreme narcissist who is plagued by insecurity. Dave Ellefson's return to the band probably seemed good on paper when Mustaine was trying to rekindle the interest in his band post "arm injury," but despite his new religion he was probably enjoying having Ellefson back in an employee-type subservient role. That worked until Ellefson started branching out more, writing books, collaborating, opening coffee shops, etc. I surmise that all ticked off Mustaine as Ellefson's actual writing input was negligible, and the success of those ventures was based in part on Ellefson's continuing Megadeth membership. Of course Ellefson set himself up with this dumb jack off vid, but Mustaine didn't need much incentive to press the execute button.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: entzauberung, Gas_Snake, Google [Bot], Methuen, Morn Of Solace and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group