Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:48 pm 

And include almost every band on the planet, except maybe for Japanese bands, unless I missed them.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:55 pm 

There's already a thread on this in the Tours, Festivals and Gigs subforum, this makes more sense to go there IMO. There's already a thread on this in the Tours, Festivals and Gigs subforum, this makes more sense to go there IMO. The lineup is pretty impressive but I have to imagine the logistics of organizing a 7 day event could easily turn into a nightmare.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:08 pm 

It's impressive in terms of quantity. Quality not so much.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 pm 

Dear GOD.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:29 pm 

That's a dizzying mix of great and awful bands. Archgoat, Mgla, Triptykon, Mercyful Fate all back-to-back is definitely something I'd go nuts for.

Overall it looks too overwhelming for me. I am planning to hit Brutal Assault again in 2022, though, which is gonna be 5 days long instead of the usual 4.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:05 pm 

I mean I've never been to a big open-air festival before and would love to check out Maryland Deathfest (or something similar), but holy fuck that's too much. It's overwhelming.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:06 pm 

That's poster is pretty much a complete list of non-underground bands that somewhat popular. It's definitely impressive, and I can't being to imagine the logistical task it is to organize something like this. I personally am drained after 2-3 days on a festival, so I definitely won't attend that!

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:15 pm 

That lineup is so ridiculous I actually found myself in the bill, and I don't even play in a band.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:08 pm 

Impressive. Overwhelming, yes. There's a bunch of bands on there I'd like to see though - Nero di Marte, Deliverance, Triptykon, Demilich, Dyscarnate, Opeth, Earth, Godflesh, Thou, Inter Arma, Primordial, The Great Old Ones, I imagine Killing Joke would be something too...and Les Chants des Nihil's album from this year is gorgeous. It's blowing my mind how they have all these decent bands on.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 pm 

I noticed Airbourne got two separate sets. Anyone else notice bands getting a double shot?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:41 pm 

I love how almost everything is organized by genre but then you have Helloween opening for Wardruna :lol:

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:55 pm 

If any Japanese bands were gonna be there it'd probably be Lovebites or Loudness, but I didn't see them.

No Sonata Arctica or Amon Amarth either, I don't think.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:33 pm 

What the fuck lol

Also I guess there's a 3-day break in the middle, cause I only count 7 actual days of shows. Still ridiculous though. And the line up is terrible...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

jose_G
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:45 pm 

Amazing!!!!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 pm 

traxan wrote:
I noticed Airbourne got two separate sets. Anyone else notice bands getting a double shot?

Yup, Megadeth too.

narsilianshard wrote:
I love how almost everything is organized by genre but then you have Helloween opening for Wardruna :lol:

FUCKING ROFL :lol: :lol: who the hell thought of putting Wardruna there and why aren't they on the same stage as Heilung????

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:41 pm 

I attended the 2009 running and thought it was outstanding in terms of organisation and planning, with the whole thing setup in such a way that you never had to cut a set short to catch another band (4 stages running in 2 pairs at identical set lengths and 10 minute breaks between, grouped roughly by opposing genres). Hands down the best festival experience I've had - at least in terms of watching bands.

I'd be very curious to see how this contrasts to the modern form, especially with 6 stages running at once.

Edit: found the running times for 2009 - https://www.metalorgie.com/img_tof/5694_Hellfest.jpg
I thought this worked really well. The two mainstages were side by side and the two tents were positioned so that they were less than 5 minutes walk from the main stages and each other.
Yes there were always 2 bands playing at once, but it made it possible to move from stage to stage and catch full sets at any point of the day.

Contrast this with other festivals I've been to that have seemingly no cohesion between stages. Bands playing hour long sets whilst others play 40 minutes sets starting after and finishing before the other band. Bands of the same genre playing at the same time, staggered sets, etc. That Hellfest experience was a brilliant breath of fresh air for me and I see no reason why they can't all be more like that.

Last edited by wone21r on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:47 pm 

That's a very chockablock lineup. I've never been to a Hellfest so I'm not sure how far the stages are from each other, but there will certainly be too many cases of good bands playing at the same time on separate stages. Easier to just not go to these things than be forced to make a decision lol
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 pm 

Looks like it'd be a terrible experience to be honest.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:39 pm 

That's 7 days, not 9. And it's not 7 days back to back.

The way I see it, is that they wanted people who got their 2020 festival cancelled to be able to see the bands they payed to see, and have the festival they bought tickets for, but they also didn't want the fans who didn't buy tickets for summer 2020 to be able to have an Hellfest in 2022. It's not really ridiculous if you think about it. It's like, two festivals on two consecutive weekends.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:47 am 

One day there will be a fesitval bill that Hatebreed don't find their way onto. I will live to see this day and that bill.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:13 am 

Even with the first chunk of days sold out I'd LOVE to go to this.

Plus, I've never been to France, so this whole experience would be incredible.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:30 am 

To anyone that has been to Hellfest:

I know it takes place kind of in the middle-of-nowhere. How far are most accommodations? I've never been into camping at festivals for multiple days.

hallowed78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:34 am 

wone21r wrote:
I'd be very curious to see how this contrasts to the modern form, especially with 6 stages running at once.

I've been in 2017 and 2019 and it's a very positive experience regarding the setup. Mainstages 1 and 2 are parallel as they always were, I suppose. Then you got the same setup for the Temple and Altar stages which are basically two massive tents next to each other and if you stand in the middle, you just have to rotate 90 degrees left or right to see both stages. Valley is practically next to these two, and Warzone is somewhat further out beyond the food courts. Don't know why I'm writing this when I could just put a map :D

Difference is there is no break between bands. One band finishes his set, immediately the other begins (on the parallel stage, that is).

Spoiler: show

jimbies wrote:
How far are most accommodations?

There is a camping space near to the entrance. Clisson offers some accomodation, but it's technically a village so not much. People camping in frontyards, it takes all sorts. I booked a hotel in Nantes and travelled by train every day. Seems complicated, but it isn't really, travel time is 15 minutes Nantes - Clisson and they have regular trains throughout the night (at least these couple of last years).

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:42 am 

hallowed78 wrote:
jimbies wrote:
How far are most accommodations?

There is a camping space near to the entrance. Clisson offers some accomodation, but it's technically a village so not much. People camping in frontyards, it takes all sorts. I booked a hotel in Nantes and travelled by train every day. Seems complicated, but it isn't really, travel time is 15 minutes Nantes - Clisson and they have regular trains throughout the night (at least these couple of last years).

Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:46 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Morrigan wrote:
And the line up is terrible...

Not sure what more you two expect from a big summer outdoor festival. There seems to be enough variety that everyone can find enough bands to watch each day. There's not many underground bands but it's not that kind of festival.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:58 am 

Invocation wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Morrigan wrote:
And the line up is terrible...

Not sure what more you two expect from a big summer outdoor festival. There seems to be enough variety that everyone can find enough bands to watch each day. There's not many underground bands but it's not that kind of festival.

This is exactly what I would expect from a big summer outdoor festival. The line-up is still mostly a bunch of bands I'm not really interested in seeing nowadays.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:22 am 

Did anyone else notice Opeth and Soen play on the same day, on the same stage?

Have Mikael or Martin Lopez spoke recently about their relationship? I have no clue if it's strained or amicable (I know Lopez stated anxiety as the reason he left the band back in 2006). With all the "20 years of Blackwater Park" stuff Opeth has pushed on social media this year, and there being no gigs in '21, I wondered if Lopez may join the band for a couple tracks from BWP at the festival.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:48 am 

While the 18 year old metalhead in me would love 9 days of a megafestival...I think 48 year old me would be worn out after 4.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 pm 

I read a lot of weird comments in here... Guys... When you go to big festivals you do not have to buy tickets for each and every single day of the festival... This one specifically clearly says that the first three days are sold out... I repeat, this is a 7 days festival, not 9, and you can't buy tickets for the first three days. So if you were to get tickets now, the most days you could attend would be 4. And again, you do not have to attend each and every single day.

You guys ever been to festivals?

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:21 pm 

I think most us know how festivals work, but it's fun to entertain the hypothetical full 9 days of festival action.

You are right, it's 7 days. I think people were just mislead by the "17th - 26th of July" in the poster.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:23 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Yeah. I wouldn't go to this.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:39 pm 

Which bands are missing, in your opinion? It has to be a live act. Maybe I'm a basic bitch, but I see most bands I really like (who also play live) there on the poster.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:50 pm 

There are so many bands, playing so many scenes at the same time. On these festivals, if there are like 1/4 or 1/3 of the bands that you like, it's typically good enough.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:29 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I read a lot of weird comments in here... Guys... When you go to big festivals you do not have to buy tickets for each and every single day of the festival... This one specifically clearly says that the first three days are sold out... I repeat, this is a 7 days festival, not 9, and you can't buy tickets for the first three days. So if you were to get tickets now, the most days you could attend would be 4. And again, you do not have to attend each and every single day.

You guys ever been to festivals?

I mean yeah you do not have to, but one-day tickets are always disproportionately expensive compared to the full pass, so they kind of want you to get the full ticket?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:21 pm 

Festivals are more about the overall experience and camaraderie, for me anyway. I've had some of the best times of my life at fests with only average lineups. (I can't believe anyone thinks this is even an average lineup though, it's objectively bananas)

Speaking of, my fest-tracking site is back: https://www.metalfests.us/

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:34 pm 

The other point to that is you aren't even physically able to watch all those bands.

Looking at the lineup and picking out bands you don't like is the wrong way to do it.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 pm 

I usually look at the lineup and pick out the bands that I like. There aren't many things that I really want to see. Sure, there are a few decent ones I wouldn't mind seeing but it's basically by brute force. With so many bands it's expected to tangentially enjoy something.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:38 pm 

Invocation wrote:

I've been to big summer outdoor festivals (Wacken twice and Heavy MTL twice, though both have also been shit for years). This lineup is still shite and whatever good bands there are, are spread way too thin. You'd have to pay me to go to this thing.
#Sorrynotsorry.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:09 pm 

I'm kinda surprised that Running Wild is a logo-tier band here.

Reply to topic