Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Radulfr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:08 am 

I'm a total newcomer here so obviously I'm not the right person to talk about this, but I have observed that the definition of "power metal" here is extremely loose.
From my experience IRL, everyone recognizes power metal as the genre started by Keeper Of The Seven Keys, so:

Heavy metal = Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc
Power metal = Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, etc

Very clear definition, you can tell which is which just by listening to it.
Not here on the MA though. Both in the forums and the reviews, any metal song that isn't glam is considered "power metal". Iron Maiden? Power metal. Rainbow/Dio? Power metal. Riot? Power metal. Even fucking Black Sabbath of all bands have been called power metal (on their Eternal Idol album).
Never saw any of this confusion IRL.

As for USPM, I didn't even know it was a thing until I started lurking here. I knew about Manowar and Manilla Road but that's it. Still can't wrap my head around how all that stuff is considered power metal.
So I think I have the same opinion as BastardHead here: USPM is a genre only internet nerds actually listen to :lol:

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:35 am 

matras wrote:
It's easy and deceptive to think that this site and these forums represent some sort of general consensus in the world.

That is actually well said!...And that is why I trust my own ears first which have been exposed to Metal for almost 40 years (I am 50 y/o). No ranking and/or review will change my own take on an album since we're all very different in what "clicks" and what is not. I certainly respect Bolt Thrower...but will take "IV Crusade", "For Victory" and "Realm of Chaos" over "Those Once Loyal" any day...but then again, 90% of my go-to DM albums are strongly in 90s...and I am not looking forward to that poll as it will be a major pain in the ass to limit a list to 10, haha

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:02 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
There is also a big community for doom metal and the hardcore/sludge/post-metal/stoner scenes that are somewhat associated with it and some crossover genres.

.....yeeeeeaah I'd disagree on that - at least with post-metal and the posty side of sludge. Cult Of Luna does get a lot of hype around here (and not without reason - they're probably the best post-metal band of the last decade, and the most significant in terms of new releases), and The Ocean does tend to rank nicely in year-end polls when they put out a new record, but aside from that I pretty much never see this niche being a discussion here and I'm actually surprised Isis has been listed in the 2000s poll (though again, not without reason - all their discography is in that decade and is phenomenal). Saying that there's a post-metal/sludge community here is like saying "We like Morbid Angel, so there's a death metal community here" - no, that would mean there's a Morbid Angel community (I know we like more DM bands than that).

Maybe it's because a lot of the post-metal boom died aside from a few bands like Cult Of Luna who continued on and were great, and Sumac who are getting steam but still haven't reached the same level of fandom that Isis had. But Pelican? 0 reviews on their last few albums. Mouth Of The Architect? A Storm Of Light? Callisto? Latitudes? The Atlas Moth? Year Of No Light is putting out their first record in 8 years, is there a thread about it? I remember voting for Intronaut's new record in the 2020 year end poll, and it got rando'd.

Even Neurosis and their related projects have become more hush around here - and I agree that their 2010s output isn't as good, but neither HFID or FWF are bad records (I actually have a huge soft spot for Honor Found In Decay). Minsk's "The Crash And The Draw" was a comeback record for a big figurehead of the genre, and it has 0 reviews here which is absolutely baffling since it's a phenomenal record! Maybe I'll have to be the one to review it, because it's damn good.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:14 pm 

Radulfr wrote:
So I think I have the same opinion as BastardHead here: USPM is a genre only internet nerds actually listen to :lol:

Wow I'm feeling pretty called out and attacked right now.

You're not wrong though. At least in my case. :lol:

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm 

Radulfr wrote:

As for USPM, I didn't even know it was a thing until I started lurking here. I knew about Manowar and Manilla Road but that's it. Still can't wrap my head around how all that stuff is considered power metal.

I certainly disagree with this notion (though I suspect that BastardHead was just being sarcastic more than anything else, lol). I am pretty sure that we didn't have internet back in 80s (yes, I am that old and remember, lol) but USPM was a pretty big back then even among the sea of Trad Metal and Thrash. Some of the best music ever came from that era. Savatage, Omen, Helstar, Jag Panzer, Vicious Rumors and tons of smaller USPM bands were aplenty amongst better known Manowar and Manilla Road. One is truly missing out.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:12 pm 

raumr wrote:
That is my position as well, more accurately stated than my initial post. Same with Dream Theater really, they are obviously talented musicians, but I find them incredibly boring.

Bolt Thrower's style is very unique in death metal. Few bands have tried to emulate their sound, but none have really played to that kind of specific formula without sounding like BT clones or something else completely. More recently Frozen Soul have kind of figured a way to explore a BT influenced death metal in a way that sounds fresh, but typically, bands who try end up sounding like Chainsword, who are a pretty good copycat band, but a copycat band nonetheless.

BT's style is built around repetition, mostly through midpaced and catchy riffs, with a gritty production. Nothing really sticks out too much. It's pretty square and straight to the point. So of course, if you like your death metal to be unpredictable, all over the place, abravise and complex, BT might end up "boring" you.

lord_ghengis wrote:
With Bolt Thrower I think that MA does have a SLIGHTLY atypical take on them. Pretty much everywhere to do with metal loves them, but more of a "super consistent rad band ala CC" or something, here they do have a bit of a rep as just being the be all and end all of death metal.

I get what you mean, but since I'm one of these guys who loves them to death, I don't know if I can offer an unbiaised opinion on their work. I actually stumbled across their discography very late in my death metal exploration days, something like 4 or 5 years ago, and I had been around these forums for a long time, never really taking the time to listen to any of their albums. But I eventually did, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I loved every single album, every single track, and I couldn't get enough. In a matter of one or two years, they ended up at the very top of my most listened to artists on last.fm, and I still listen to their music on a very regular basis nowadays. Of course over time I became a bit more critical of their work and I'm not quite as fond of HVP and Mercenary as I used to, but I still love their music with a passion. And I don't even think MA had anything to do with it, seriously. Sure I found out about them on MA, but it's their music that reeled me in.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:21 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This place has become way friendlier to a lot of the hated bands like Deafheaven....

Very true. I had an old infrequently used account long before this one, and was a lurker for years even before... I was well within the minority singing praises for Liturgy, Deafheaven and the likes that came out years before them... Now look at the most recent threads on the releases from those two bands. Their reception has flipped almost 180 around these parts.

One band that gets a frequent circle jerk on MA (of which I will frequently contribute) is Sigh. Definitely a well known band internationally, but this forum loves and laudes them more than other circles I've interacted with both online and off.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:40 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
This place has become way friendlier to a lot of the hated bands like Deafheaven....

Very true. I had an old infrequently used account long before this one, and was a lurker for years even before... I was well within the minority singing praises for Liturgy, Deafheaven and the likes that came out years before them... Now look at the most recent threads on the releases from those two bands. Their reception has flipped almost 180 around these parts.

One band that gets a frequent circle jerk on MA (of which I will frequently contribute) is Sigh. Definitely a well known band internationally, but this forum loves and laudes them more than other circles I've interacted with both online and off.

Liturgy was the other example I knew I wanted to touch on, yes. The hysteric hatred of that band has really been dialed way back now.

USPM is probably a very nerdy niche in an already nerdy culture, but I wouldn't have that any other way. It's cool to dig into some of those bands. I guess if you got made fun of for not liking them it'd be easy to be sore over it.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:43 pm 

I was listening to Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife today for the first time in ages. I remember them being shared/posted about quite a bit here years ago because they played BDM for people not into BDM. As far as I know otherwise a rather obscure band.

The whole thing about USPM thing being for internet nerds was definitely a thing for the US. However in Europe the interest in it (often called US metal instead) was also solidifying more through word of mouth and the growth of certain festivals and scenes.

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:01 pm 

I can guarantee that anyone who calls DT “boring” has never cranked their best albums on a good set of headphones. So much variety in song structure, killer riffs and solos and drumming and basically everything that it’s the opposite of boring. Yeah the singer is polarizing since his vocal cord injury, that I‘ll give you.

As far as the OP goes, all of the greatest metal acts generally are less well regarded here, except Sabbath maybe. Part of that is just wanting to be contrarian I’m sure. Priest, Maiden, etc ARE the greatest and deserved to be recognized as such.

An Ferbasach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 pm 

As has been mentioned previously in the thread, it seems the perception of Opeth has changed.

I was a regular reader of the forum from around 2006 to 2012 and remember Opeth not being viewed very favourably. I've only just started to visit the forum again recently and was rather surprised to see the "Blackwater Park turns 20" thread and see the album get a lot of love.

Funnily enough, I wasn't much of a fan of Opeth back then but I've grown to really enjoy them now.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:23 pm 

des91 wrote:
Pantera “Vulgar Display….” is pretty hated around here more than places like Sputnik, RYM and YouTube. Also, their Power Metal album is viewed as a pretty great album by many here, whereas everywhere else it’s seen as kinda average or so.

Master of Puppets being viewed as less than a great album by a fair amount here on both reviews and the forum.

I think a lot of that is lingering influence by the old guard of this board, most of whom have long since stopped posting. The general hatred of bands like Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Marduk, groove-oriented genres or melodic DM and anything labeled "modern" are basically holdover narratives from long ago. You can see this in a lot of older reviews on the site and if you go back through old posts from 10+ years ago you'll see it as well.

Things have changed a lot since then. There was a Dimmu vs Cradle thread that was posted not that long ago that was pretty civil. I had a chuckle while I read it because at one point in time that thread would have been overrun with a bunch of comments about both bands that would result in most of those posters being banned nowadays. Also we don't have to see worship threads about obscure F-tier eastern European thrash metal bands anymore, so that's a positive.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:02 pm 

An Ferbasach wrote:
As has been mentioned previously in the thread, it seems the perception of Opeth has changed.

I was a regular reader of the forum from around 2006 to 2012 and remember Opeth not being viewed very favourably. I've only just started to visit the forum again recently and was rather surprised to see the "Blackwater Park turns 20" thread and see the album get a lot of love.

Funnily enough, I wasn't much of a fan of Opeth back then but I've grown to really enjoy them now.

Well... around the middle of the 2000's, Opeth went through a very big change in sound, and while Blackwater Park used to be perceived as the "different album" until Ghost Reveries came out, both Deliverance and Damnation were very well received. But starting with Ghost Reveries, if I remember correctly, they started to have more detractors, and a lot of their fans from the early days didn't like the change in sound and were very critical of it.

I wouldn't say that the tone about Opeth was generally negative as much as they were just receiving negative criticism for what was, at the time, an ongoing change in sound that a lot of people didn't like. It's easier to look back 15 years later and be less personnally involved in the changing of sound of a band you used to love a lot.

Typically, it's easier, in hingsight, to look back at these "eras" and appreciate the body of work for what it's worth. It's easier to do then when the albums are coming out, one at a time, and you, as a fan, are dissapointed by the newest release.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:21 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
Things have changed a lot since then. There was a Dimmu vs Cradle thread that was posted not that long ago that was pretty civil. I had a chuckle while I read it because at one point in time that thread would have been overrun with a bunch of comments about both bands that would result in most of those posters being banned nowadays..

Yeah, I'm just glad that thread didn't turn into a shitshow like I originally predicted. Also, my take on them being like Six Feet Under and Marilyn Manson aged like fine milk :tongue:

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:17 am 

MetalVermont wrote:
I can guarantee that anyone who calls DT “boring” has never cranked their best albums on a good set of headphones.

Ahhh wow just "need a good set of headphones" to make them good... yeah right, I think I'll just keep listening to good music on shit headphones.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:25 am 

I am the Law wrote:
Also we don't have to see worship threads about obscure F-tier eastern European thrash metal bands anymore, so that's a positive.

Eastern European? I may be wrong as it has been a long time since the old days, but I feel like it was usually obscure North American thrash bands or maaaaybe German. But to be truly tr00, the band in question had to have only released demos.

MetlaNZ wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:
I can guarantee that anyone who calls DT “boring” has never cranked their best albums on a good set of headphones.

Ahhh wow just "need a good set of headphones" to make them good... yeah right, I think I'll just keep listening to good music on shit headphones.

I've listened to DT on shitty headphones and hi-fi headphones--didn't change my opinion of them in the slightest.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

overkill1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:19 pm 

raumr wrote:
I've seen more love for Bolt Thrower and Vektor here than I've seen otherwise, even though they suck.

Edgy. I wonder what the metal music tastes are of a person who thinks both Bolt Thrower and Vektor suck are. The bands you listen to have to be truly horrible on another level I'm guessing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:24 pm 

I wouldn't really say Vektor is very interesting either. I get why others might like it though. Bolt Thrower is great though it's been years since I really sat down and listened. Nothing wrong with not going along with everyone else's taste...

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:13 pm 

I mean, everyone is different regarding what they like but fuck, how can someone really say Vektor sucks? Maybe they don’t click with you (there’s many great bands that I have huge respect for that don’t click with me) but you can’t say you don’t respect their music. Their frontman seems sketchy af of course but that’s separate from the music.

They also seem to be right up this board’s alley too, as they mix Thrash, Black, Death and technicality (majority Thrash of course).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:54 pm 

des91 wrote:
I mean, everyone is different regarding what they like but fuck, how can someone really say Vektor sucks? Maybe they don’t click with you (there’s many great bands that I have huge respect for that don’t click with me) but you can’t say you don’t respect their music. Their frontman seems sketchy af of course but that’s separate from the music.

They also seem to be right up this board’s alley too, as they mix Thrash, Black, Death and technicality (majority Thrash of course).

I think they're pretty basic and boring, not really at all what I like in my music. I don't see why someone couldn't say they suck.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:50 pm 

Bolt Thrower being popular on MA is not even remotely counter to how they are thought of in other parts of the internet or in real life. On Reddit, for example, Bolt Thrower was the most voted band in their recent "top 25 death metal records ever" vote and had 2 albums in the top 25. In the more recent "top 25 death metal albums post-2000", Those Once Loyal was voted number 1. Although both of these lists, in my opinion, have far more obvious "Reddit preference" than you see here. On rateyourmusic.com, Those Once Loyal was the second highest rated metal album of 2005 behind Ghost Reveries. Most of their albums there are ranked very highly and their lowest is 3.48. On sputnikmusic.com, 5/8 of their albums rate 3.9 or above. If there are any other internet indications of a band's popularity, I'd be open to see them, but I think you'd have to be straight up delusional to think that band is loved here disproportionately. They're considered one of the most consistently good metal bands of all time pretty much anywhere as far as I can tell. Say they suck all you want but the thread is about MA's preferences (presumably comparatively to other metal forums and circles) and not yours, because frankly who gives a shit.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:07 pm 

Gojira is not that well liked on this forum either. Very popular elsewhere both among more mainstream fans and people who like more extreme metal but I feel like the amount of people who don't particularly care for the band is higher here compared to elsewhere.
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:44 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
I think a lot of that is lingering influence by the old guard of this board, most of whom have long since stopped posting. The general hatred of bands like Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Marduk, groove-oriented genres or melodic DM and anything labeled "modern" are basically holdover narratives from long ago. You can see this in a lot of older reviews on the site and if you go back through old posts from 10+ years ago you'll see it as well.

Things have changed a lot since then. There was a Dimmu vs Cradle thread that was posted not that long ago that was pretty civil. I had a chuckle while I read it because at one point in time that thread would have been overrun with a bunch of comments about both bands that would result in most of those posters being banned nowadays.

Dimmu and Cradle seem pretty benign now compared to stuff like Deafheaven and Liturgy.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:21 am 

I've noticed that melodic death metal was, and still is, not very well liked around here. It started with ultraboris' irrational hatred of all things Gothenburg, and to this day classic melodic death albums like Colony and The Chainheart Machine and Slaughter of the Soul still have low to average review scores here.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:16 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I've noticed that melodic death metal was, and still is, not very well liked around here. It started with ultraboris' irrational hatred of all things Gothenburg, and to this day classic melodic death albums like Colony and The Chainheart Machine and Slaughter of the Soul still have low to average review scores here.

I honestly suspect this enduring streak is at least subconsciously part of why it took me forever to sign up here, because I used to read a lot of those reviews in the 00s and be vexed by them. Lots of classic albums have mediocre scores, like 74% for Dark Tranquillity's The Gallery (six of their albums are even lower, which is rather flabbergasting). In Flames' Whoracle is 69%, Edge of Sanity's Crimson at 77%, Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe at 68%, Be'lakor's Of Breath and Bone at 74%, etc.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 pm 

Saying that Bolt Thrower suck is like saying the guys at capital hill did nothing wrong, they only protected America.

Joking a bit there, but to give some context, for many years I found almost every death metal act boring (I've softened on that view as I've gotten older to say the least), but even back when I still had that perception of death metal as a boring genre, Bolt thrower still managed to be one of my favorite bands. Taste is subjective, but not liking them is a sign of something sinister I don't want to dwell upon in fear of becoming insane or something.

Oh, I've been sigged for the first time in my life! That's an honorary achievement. Weather it's a sign of something grandiose happening to this particular user is anyones guess and remains to be seen, but thanks anyway I guess.

Last edited by Svarthavid on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:56 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:

LOL . . . well it’s true they aren’t kvlt enough for a lot of people. The horror.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:27 pm 

raumr wrote:
I've seen more love for Bolt Thrower and Vektor here than I've seen otherwise, even though they suck.

The most searing of takes right off the bat on the first post huh :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:43 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
raumr wrote:

Vektor is one of the only good thrash bands, but I agree on Bolt Thrower, they do suck

How anyone could think Bolt Thrower sucks is beyond me.

They are good solid old school death metal and one of the first to play it in that style, honestly one of the first to do it period.

I could understand not LOVING them, but what honestly do they do that's worth hating?

To my ear if you like death metal at all then Bolt Thrower is just good mid-paced consistent death metal and there's really nothing that stands out to hate about them IMO.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 pm 

I clarify further down in the thread. I wish I had the confidence to stand by my original inflammatory statement, but I'm a coward. I don't hate them. I just think they're boring, generic death metal with chugging riffs, growling vocals and shitty bass drum sounds. All the songs I've heard are headbangable all the way though, like Satyricon is. I don't hate them, I've just never been compelled to listen to them further.

And the fact that people question my mental faculties in this thread just proves my point that they are a sacred cow. If it's unfathomable to you that someone don't like a band that you like, then you're the one with the problem.

Last edited by raumr on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 pm 

One thing I've noticed here, and which very much reflects my own tastes and biases in metal, is less love for post metal, metalcore and deathcore.

On certain facebook groups these sorts of bands, and a lot of post metal in general tend to be wildly popular, and these are for the most part styles that just don't really resonate with me.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:58 pm 

raumr wrote:
I clarify further down in the thread. I wish I had the confidence to stand by my original inflammatory statement, but I'm a coward. I don't hate them. I just think they're boring, generic death metal with chugging riffs, growling vocals and shitty bass drum sounds. All the songs I've heard are headbangable all the way though, like Satyricon is. I don't hate them, I've just never been compelled to listen to them further.

And the fact that people question my mental faculties in this thread just proves my point that they are a sacred cow.

I don't question your mental faculties, I just don't see what "sucks" about them.

If anything they play the kind of music that is more minimalistic to the point that I'm not sure that there would be enough that would even stand out to say it sucks.

Maybe that's why some people don't like them, in that they might want more technical death metal with crazy time signatures and riffs galore, (I like that kind of stuff too) while Bolt Thrower just more consistently chug along, but I just have a hard time hearing what there is to truly hate about them if you like death metal as a style. So i mean, the only way i get it is if you don't like death metal as a genre, or if you do then you really NEED your death metal to be highly technical with different pacing and time signatures constantly mixed up to keep you guessing. If that's something you feel you need I get it, but otherwise, i just don't.

But now I can hear that you were being hyperbolic.

Me personally, I tend to avoid hyperbole a lot in life, especially in these kinds of discussions. If I say I think a band sucks I REALLY mean I think they suck, not just that they aren't my cup of tea.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:07 am 

Radulfr wrote:
I'm a total newcomer here so obviously I'm not the right person to talk about this, but I have observed that the definition of "power metal" here is extremely loose.
From my experience IRL, everyone recognizes power metal as the genre started by Keeper Of The Seven Keys, so:

Heavy metal = Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc
Power metal = Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, etc

Very clear definition, you can tell which is which just by listening to it.
Not here on the MA though. Both in the forums and the reviews, any metal song that isn't glam is considered "power metal". Iron Maiden? Power metal. Rainbow/Dio? Power metal. Riot? Power metal. Even fucking Black Sabbath of all bands have been called power metal (on their Eternal Idol album).
Never saw any of this confusion IRL.

Power metal has two notable qualities- production needs to be top tier and vocals to be among the best. Dio, Maiden and Priest have that, so that could be why they are labeled as power metal sometimes they meet the requirements and then some. Heavy and power are 80s metal anyway, quite similar.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:48 am 

Pretty sure MA knows what power metal is, in general. There's just a collective impulse, for lack of a better term, to gather Heavy/Trad/Power together but even then the distinctions are clear. If you've been on that particular rec thread for a time you'd know. Bands are suggested that always fall within the same sphere of what is being asked for - and the adjacent-to-the-style stuff comes up only if a band is playing some super obscure sound. I honestly find it the most helpful of the rec centers.

King Diamond for instance would get mentioned because a fair bunch of power metal bands have inherited his sound/style even without KD albums being power metal. The distinctions are acknowledged but power metal is the closest to plain old heavy metal stylistically so allow for the overlap.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:49 am 

I do think there's a bit of historical revisionism to "reclaim" the term power metal on the internet (moreso in places like Reddit than here).

When somebody says power metal, I consider that they're referring to EUPM - it's historically more popular and relevant. The term EUPM really wasn't even a thing a decade ago the way it is now. If I'm talking about USPM then I say USPM. But I think the surge in popularity of USPM over the last decade or so (even if that's largely confined to people who discuss metal on the internet) has resulted in people obtusely using the phrase power metal to refer to USPM (I use the term obtusely because I've seen many discussions where people ask for recommendations for power metal bands, and they list EUPM bands as examples, and then people start recommending them USPM). That said, I like both styles and I wish fans weren't so divisive about it. MA is way better about this because a lot of the regulars like EUPM.

I think, by extension, people have definitely started to claim more things are power metal than they really are. I'm a bit cynical on the matter for sure, but I think it's more of a frustration that people seem to deliberately hate EUPM when it's really closer to the biggest names in Metal (Priest/Maiden) than a lot of other styles are.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:42 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
I do think there's a bit of historical revisionism to "reclaim" the term power metal on the internet (moreso in places like Reddit than here).

When somebody says power metal, I consider that they're referring to EUPM - it's historically more popular and relevant. The term EUPM really wasn't even a thing a decade ago the way it is now. If I'm talking about USPM then I say USPM. But I think the surge in popularity of USPM over the last decade or so (even if that's largely confined to people who discuss metal on the internet) has resulted in people obtusely using the phrase power metal to refer to USPM (I use the term obtusely because I've seen many discussions where people ask for recommendations for power metal bands, and they list EUPM bands as examples, and then people start recommending them USPM). That said, I like both styles and I wish fans weren't so divisive about it. MA is way better about this because a lot of the regulars like EUPM.

I think, by extension, people have definitely started to claim more things are power metal than they really are. I'm a bit cynical on the matter for sure, but I think it's more of a frustration that people seem to deliberately hate EUPM when it's really closer to the biggest names in Metal (Priest/Maiden) than a lot of other styles are.

I can tell you that at least in some parts of the internet, the distinction between American power metal and Euro power (USPM wasn't a term back then) was made even in the very late 90s/very early 00s (pre-MA). In general, euro power was a whole lot more popular, of course, and usually people referred to that when using the term, but the term has existed for a long time.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2