Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:00 am
Posts: 1125
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:31 am 
 

I read a lot of very negative comments before listening to it. I guess I had the lowest of expectations because that sounded pretty good to me. Cheesy, mediocre production and nothing great but pretty good nevertheless.

idunnosomename wrote:
I agree it sounds a lot like the only good song on Nostradamus


But the best song on Nostradamus is by far this one:

_________________
42

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Top
 Profile  
draconiondevil
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Posts: 162
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:04 pm 
 

Yeah this is really not bad. Definitely better than I was expecting.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:34 pm 
 

Another single has arrived.



Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Veteran

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 2713
Location: PDX
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:55 pm 
 

Wow, that intro is such a shameless Painkiller ripoff.

Top
 Profile  
soul_schizm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am
Posts: 720
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:59 pm 
 

So it's cleanly played, well-produced, but just looks like comedy to me. It sounds a lot like Priest, duh. Except somehow JP is doing music with all the same elements yet it feels more serious. It's pretty much by definition derivative of JP.

I cracked up at the end of that video where Ripper's eyes turn red. That really brought home the awesomeness of the whole ordeal.

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 5515
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:10 pm 
 

These songs are competent enough but there is really the sense of this being an obligation for them rather than legitimate inspiration. The real Priest is definitely above this and plenty of Priest imitators are doing this just as well, if not better.
_________________
Christopher Steve (Doom Folk/Americana): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Power Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com
Spirit Division (Stoner Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:42 pm 
 

.
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!


Last edited by Metal_On_The_Ascendant on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm 
 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Another single has arrived.




Powerwolf meets Painkiller?
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
Dandelo
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:08 am
Posts: 1060
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:43 pm 
 

There is something about Ripper's voice that I just cannot get behind.

Top
 Profile  
soul_schizm
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am
Posts: 720
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:12 pm 
 

Dandelo wrote:
There is something about Ripper's voice that I just cannot get behind.


KK asks him to sound like Halford, so he sounds like Halford.

Malmsteen asks him to sound like one of his past vocalists, so he does that.


It seems that he can do just about any voice.

He's a fine vocalist but I can see what you are saying.

Top
 Profile  
mjollnir
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:14 pm
Posts: 1880
Location: White Oak, PA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:46 pm 
 

I lost a lot of respect here for KK. The name of the band alone reeks of butthurt.....even though HE left JP. Then using that fucking tool Ripper....does he know that Ripper was part of the worst era of JP? I'll listen to Turbo on repeat before ANYTHING on the Ripper albums. Ripper needs to rejoin Iced Earth when Jon gets sprung.....at least they'll have a lot of stuff in common to talk about.
_________________
Diamhea wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
Edit: fuck it this whole thing is bait anyway.


Like your reviews?

Top
 Profile  
Metal Shark
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am
Posts: 499
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:08 pm 
 

laxskinn wrote:

Me and some friends like to play "Metal Archives bingo" where we come up with generic band names and check how many bands already use them. Turns out "Chainsaw Autopsy" is still unused.


It IS?? Somebody needs to use that! Even if it's just for a Bowels Out tribute band!

Top
 Profile  
Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 389
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 pm 
 

mjollnir wrote:
I lost a lot of respect here for KK. The name of the band alone reeks of butthurt.....even though HE left JP. Then using that fucking tool Ripper....does he know that Ripper was part of the worst era of JP? I'll listen to Turbo on repeat before ANYTHING on the Ripper albums. Ripper needs to rejoin Iced Earth when Jon gets sprung.....at least they'll have a lot of stuff in common to talk about.
So... Way back in 1970 when K.K.'s band named Freight needed a name and they chose Judas Priest because they not only had that bands vocalist but also to gain traction in an overloaded market, was it just butthurt then?

Since I understand how business works, the original Judas Priest were Al Atkins, Bruno Stapenhill, John Perry/Ernest Chataway & "Fezza" Partridge and Freight became a continuation of that first lineup. Sorry but criticizing someone for cashing in on a moniker they helped make famous is not just dumb, not even counter intuitive but completely illogical.

Tim Owens is FAR from a tool. Tim's time in the band was hardly the worst era of JP. Just because you are resistant to change and anything that makes something you like slightly different does not make it bad, in fact that desire to evolve automatically elevates that something to greater heights. Learn to step out of your comfort zone and realize Jugulator and Demolition are both strong metal & Judas Priest albums. Also, you should listen to Turbo. Not only is a upbeat and fun album to hear, it is also one of the bands most astounding works, with some complex as hell arrangements.

I forgot though, it is foolish of me to embrace eclecticism, the one and only identifiable mark of Judas Priest. I should just hope that Judas Priest, known for their deliberate inconsistency, forgoes their identity and makes a metal album with a collection of songs that all sound the same. :roll:

EDIT:

Either way, I believe this song is significantly better than the first track they released.
_________________
[My Soundcloud || My Last.fm || Concerts I've Attended]

Top
 Profile  
Pelata
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:16 pm
Posts: 172
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:12 pm 
 

YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top
 Profile  
Oxenkiller
Veteran

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 2988
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:26 am 
 

I just heard that hellfire thunderbolt song on the cable music choice. It's good... sounds like a modern take on classic Priest, and it's not at all cringeworthily terrible like I feared it would be. But like others have said, it isn't mindblowingly awesome either. I havent heard the whole album yet, but a lot of the song titles do sound a bit like they're trying too hard to be all "Lets be metal as fuck!" Which makes me think the actual songs will be the same way.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:16 am 
 

Luvers wrote:
mjollnir wrote:
I lost a lot of respect here for KK. The name of the band alone reeks of butthurt.....even though HE left JP. Then using that fucking tool Ripper....does he know that Ripper was part of the worst era of JP? I'll listen to Turbo on repeat before ANYTHING on the Ripper albums. Ripper needs to rejoin Iced Earth when Jon gets sprung.....at least they'll have a lot of stuff in common to talk about.
So... Way back in 1970 when K.K.'s band named Freight needed a name and they chose Judas Priest because they not only had that bands vocalist but also to gain traction in an overloaded market, was it just butthurt then?

Since I understand how business works, the original Judas Priest were Al Atkins, Bruno Stapenhill, John Perry/Ernest Chataway & "Fezza" Partridge and Freight became a continuation of that first lineup. Sorry but criticizing someone for cashing in on a moniker they helped make famous is not just dumb, not even counter intuitive but completely illogical.

Tim Owens is FAR from a tool. Tim's time in the band was hardly the worst era of JP. Just because you are resistant to change and anything that makes something you like slightly different does not make it bad, in fact that desire to evolve automatically elevates that something to greater heights. Learn to step out of your comfort zone and realize Jugulator and Demolition are both strong metal & Judas Priest albums. Also, you should listen to Turbo. Not only is a upbeat and fun album to hear, it is also one of the bands most astounding works, with some complex as hell arrangements.

I forgot though, it is foolish of me to embrace eclecticism, the one and only identifiable mark of Judas Priest. I should just hope that Judas Priest, known for their deliberate inconsistency, forgoes their identity and makes a metal album with a collection of songs that all sound the same. :roll:

EDIT:

Either way, I believe this song is significantly better than the first track they released.


Yeah but....KK left Judas Priest and sold his rights. This isn't the Freight era anymore either so that point you think you're making is not really strong. "KK's Priest" is a terrible and awful name and reeks of butthurt. One K shy away from being wholesomely vulgar too. It's like some people don't ever think in broad strokes. Downing The Priest would have been a cleverer (and more FU) name in my opinion.

The thing is, no one disputes KK's contributions all these years (fans love him and are willing to give him the benefit...) and his standing in the JP history is forever solid. But bands part ways all the damn time with founding members and whatnot. This whole bullish attitude of carving out a portion of the band's name is more but muh legacy crap than anything else it can ever claim to be.

Tim Ripper is a grating singer too because he's always in high-note mode but without any added style and finesse to him. But maybe that's just me? Nope, I've heard the similar complaint elsewhere. He does not possess the emotional range and sheer style of Rob Halford and he will keep being compared to Rob for obvious reasons - he always steps into that role for Priestly duties sans Rob.
As for his albums with JP, I like songs off the first one but can't bother to revisit either of them because they were just so nondescript. He was far better with Iced Earth.
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 3307
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:22 am 
 

Luvers wrote:
Tim Owens is FAR from a tool.

He literally is a tool. You use it to get the job done.
_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
true_death wrote:
You could be listening to Edge of Sanity right now, but you're not!

Top
 Profile  
Machine_Dead
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 924
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 am 
 

Coincidentally at this very same moment I am listening to this Ex-Man podcast chat with KK...
https://www.soundtalentmedia.com/show/t ... Xkp8XSLyGw

Some interesting talking points here, talking about the genesis chapter of the proto-heavy rock genre in the 60's, about the beginnings of the Judas Priest 'retirement' ordeal that kinda started around 2010, the formation of KK's Priest...

Top
 Profile  
MetalVermont
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm
Posts: 64
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:25 am 
 

Luvers wrote:
mjollnir wrote:
I lost a lot of respect here for KK. The name of the band alone reeks of butthurt.....even though HE left JP. Then using that fucking tool Ripper....does he know that Ripper was part of the worst era of JP? I'll listen to Turbo on repeat before ANYTHING on the Ripper albums. Ripper needs to rejoin Iced Earth when Jon gets sprung.....at least they'll have a lot of stuff in common to talk about.
So... Way back in 1970 when K.K.'s band named Freight needed a name and they chose Judas Priest because they not only had that bands vocalist but also to gain traction in an overloaded market, was it just butthurt then?

Since I understand how business works, the original Judas Priest were Al Atkins, Bruno Stapenhill, John Perry/Ernest Chataway & "Fezza" Partridge and Freight became a continuation of that first lineup. Sorry but criticizing someone for cashing in on a moniker they helped make famous is not just dumb, not even counter intuitive but completely illogical.

Tim Owens is FAR from a tool. Tim's time in the band was hardly the worst era of JP. Just because you are resistant to change and anything that makes something you like slightly different does not make it bad, in fact that desire to evolve automatically elevates that something to greater heights. Learn to step out of your comfort zone and realize Jugulator and Demolition are both strong metal & Judas Priest albums. Also, you should listen to Turbo. Not only is a upbeat and fun album to hear, it is also one of the bands most astounding works, with some complex as hell arrangements.

I forgot though, it is foolish of me to embrace eclecticism, the one and only identifiable mark of Judas Priest. I should just hope that Judas Priest, known for their deliberate inconsistency, forgoes their identity and makes a metal album with a collection of songs that all sound the same. :roll:

EDIT:

Either way, I believe this song is significantly better than the first track they released.


100% fail. Congrats! Jugular and Demolition blow chunks. What’s your opinion of their lyrical merit btw? Wow I just learned today that Turbo has “complex” arrangements. Who knew?

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:39 am 
 

Complex arrangements that will rock you all around the world...

It was Priest conforming to the party-metal era of the time. Just because they were better songwriters than most of the bands around then doesn't make it some elevated classic in retrospect.
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:15 pm
Posts: 95
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:00 pm 
 

Personally, I think the couple of tracks released so far have been very good. In my opinion, better than a lot of stuff that JP has released in recent years. Better than most of the stuff on "Redeemer Of Souls", for example.

Is it a stretch to say the JP has missed KKs input in recent years? His songwriting was important to JP.

Top
 Profile  
Terri23
Veteran

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 2742
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:20 pm 
 

Luvers wrote:
mjollnir wrote:
I lost a lot of respect here for KK. The name of the band alone reeks of butthurt.....even though HE left JP. Then using that fucking tool Ripper....does he know that Ripper was part of the worst era of JP? I'll listen to Turbo on repeat before ANYTHING on the Ripper albums. Ripper needs to rejoin Iced Earth when Jon gets sprung.....at least they'll have a lot of stuff in common to talk about.
So... Way back in 1970 when K.K.'s band named Freight needed a name and they chose Judas Priest because they not only had that bands vocalist but also to gain traction in an overloaded market, was it just butthurt then?

Since I understand how business works, the original Judas Priest were Al Atkins, Bruno Stapenhill, John Perry/Ernest Chataway & "Fezza" Partridge and Freight became a continuation of that first lineup. Sorry but criticizing someone for cashing in on a moniker they helped make famous is not just dumb, not even counter intuitive but completely illogical.

Tim Owens is FAR from a tool. Tim's time in the band was hardly the worst era of JP. Just because you are resistant to change and anything that makes something you like slightly different does not make it bad, in fact that desire to evolve automatically elevates that something to greater heights. Learn to step out of your comfort zone and realize Jugulator and Demolition are both strong metal & Judas Priest albums. Also, you should listen to Turbo. Not only is a upbeat and fun album to hear, it is also one of the bands most astounding works, with some complex as hell arrangements.

I forgot though, it is foolish of me to embrace eclecticism, the one and only identifiable mark of Judas Priest. I should just hope that Judas Priest, known for their deliberate inconsistency, forgoes their identity and makes a metal album with a collection of songs that all sound the same. :roll:

EDIT:

Either way, I believe this song is significantly better than the first track they released.


Just because you have shitty taste in Priest doesn't make those particular records good. All three of those records are awful, and they are regarded to be the worst records the band ever put out, alongside Nostradamus (which is a personal favourite of mine, but I acknowledge it is not what a lot fans want from Priest) and Point of Entry. Nothing wrong with liking those records, but don't pretend they are somehow misunderstood classics that elevate your imagined status as a Priest diehard. St Anger, Risk, God Hates Us All, Virtual XI, Stomp 442 and Illud Divinum Insanus all have their fans, and they are all objectively terrible records. These albums were all evolutions of sound, and to use your words, the fact they were evolutions of sound certainly did not "elevate" them to "greater heights".
_________________
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
American isn't a nationality

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Top
 Profile  
Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 389
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:42 pm 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Yeah but....KK left Judas Priest and sold his rights. This isn't the Freight era anymore either so that point you think you're making is not really strong.
Actually my point is no less valid just because you say it is a 'different era' (as if that meant ANYTHING) and are unable, or unwilling, to defeat it.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
"KK's Priest" is a terrible and awful name and reeks of butthurt. One K shy away from being wholesomely vulgar too. It's like some people don't ever think in broad strokes. Downing The Priest would have been a cleverer (and more FU) name in my opinion.
What it actually reeks of is K.K. using a name similar to a band he helped start. Realize that unless K.K. ventured into a different genre he will always be known as "that guy from JP" so it makes sense, at least professionally, to use a name that evokes what people are going to evoke themselves anyway. However I can agree with you that Downing the Priest would have been a better name.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Tim Ripper is a grating singer too because he's always in high-note mode but without any added style and finesse to him. But maybe that's just me?
Definitely just you. If you read y review of Demolition, I explain how Demolition lacks the high notes Tim and Priest are known for. Tim has more than just one register and throughout his two Priest albums, he reveals this, so it is DEFINITELY just you.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Complex arrangements that will rock you all around the world...
That was an amusing pun, well done sir. :) Sarcasm aside; I assure you, there is not a single song from, at least, six Priest albums that can match the complexity to the compositions found on Turbo. If you put aside your feelings of which you like more, are you really trying to suggest that Saints In Hell has a more complex arrangement then Rock You All Around the World? Why don't you grab a guitar and play the two songs back to back and then come argue with me which one is more intricately detailed.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
It was Priest conforming to the party-metal era of the time.
But again, this is something Priest has been doing since 1978. Every album the band has done since Stained Class has been nothing more than looking at whatever is trending and giving their own unique take on it. Priest has been admitting this for as long as I have been aware of them. If Turbo was Priest conforming to party-metal then Painkiller is Priest conforming to the speed-metal underground of the time. At no other time was symphonic metal more popular than at the end of the 2000's and, what do you know, Priest makes a symphonic metal album. Nu metal and groove metal were all the rage in 2001 and, what do you know, Priest makes an album where they sample those genres.
Terri23 wrote:
Just because you have shitty taste in Priest doesn't make those particular records good.
Because this is how you show respect to a fellow person who simply offered a differing perspective on a subject.:roll:

Just ignore me.
_________________
[My Soundcloud || My Last.fm || Concerts I've Attended]

Top
 Profile  
Terri23
Veteran

Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 2742
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:52 pm 
 

Luvers wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
Just because you have shitty taste in Priest doesn't make those particular records good.
Because this is how you show respect to a fellow person who simply offered a differing perspective on a subject.:roll:

Just ignore me.


Right after point I indicated that another maligned record in Nostradamus was one of my favourite records by Priest, but hey, cherry pick the facts and play the victim.
_________________
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
American isn't a nationality

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Top
 Profile  
thewrll
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:33 am
Posts: 284
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:56 am 
 

hallowed78 wrote:
I keep reading the name of the band as KKK's Priest :D as if the music wasn't bad enough.


Oh you are so funny.

Top
 Profile  
MetalVermont
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm
Posts: 64
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:51 am 
 

Terri23 wrote:
Luvers wrote:
Terri23 wrote:
Just because you have shitty taste in Priest doesn't make those particular records good.
Because this is how you show respect to a fellow person who simply offered a differing perspective on a subject.:roll:

Just ignore me.


Right after point I indicated that another maligned record in Nostradamus was one of my favourite records by Priest, but hey, cherry pick the facts and play the victim.


Yeah exactly. Don’t waste too much energy with these guys.

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 5515
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:54 pm 
 

KK should've called this band Disturbing The Priest.
_________________
Christopher Steve (Doom Folk/Americana): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Power Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com
Spirit Division (Stoner Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 2061
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:29 am 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
KK should've called this band Disturbing The Priest.


Love it. Love everything about it. :lol:

Top
 Profile  
AWinterShadow
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:13 pm
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 am 
 

After listening to both tracks, I have to say I like it. The music is solid and functional, even if both tracks didn't exactly scream classic hit or anything. But they don't sound like filler either. If this is at least the minimum bar for quality on the album, I have to say I'm willing to pick it up and give it time to grow on me more.

As for Tim's vocals, I actually prefer his lower registers a bit more, "Hell Is Home" is one of my favorite tracks....but after listening to the full albums he did in Priest and Iced Earth, it almost seems like he really needs a killer song for his lower vocals to really sound good. On these new tracks he sings in that higher Halford-esq range and that actual works better with this type of music, when doing these work horse type tracks that don't necessarily stand out as hit tracks it has a kinda (Black Metal + Rasping vocals) level of things that just go together well.

If mindless metal meme worthy songs is what it takes to bring out the best in Tim, I say load up the Viking Boat and set sail to Metal-Metal Land!

Top
 Profile  
Everflowingstream
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:29 am
Posts: 547
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:59 am 
 

Not a fan of the vocals but enjoy the music. Will be buying. Enjoying the bass.

Top
 Profile  
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1021
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:40 am 
 

They released another single:


Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 162
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:32 pm 
 

That is cringe worthy, even for a garage band. I don't know who is writing these songs but it sounds like 80's cheese metal. I know Ripper can't write a song, he is nothing but a singer with range but he should find a better project with a decent songwriter. KK should have just stayed retired.

Top
 Profile  
MetalVermont
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm
Posts: 64
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:57 pm 
 

Yeah that song sucks. Ripoff of Saxon’s Warriors of the Road.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm
Posts: 644
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:56 am 
 

Kalaratri wrote:
They released another single:



Musically I like it, even if it's derivative of Saxon. But those fucking lyrics are straight up vomit-inducing. It's 2021 last I checked. I can't believe metal bands, let alone ones with legacy members, are still writing this kind of lazy, clichéd and frankly cringey tripe.

Top
 Profile  
MawBTS
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am
Posts: 958
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:48 pm 
 

Quote:
That is cringe worthy, even for a garage band.


This song is what happens when you listen to Louder than Hell by Manowar and think "this would be cool if it wasn't so edgy and weird and experimental."

I liked the intro riff. The rest sounds like it was thrown together in 5 minutes.

Top
 Profile  
Lane
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:54 am
Posts: 509
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:43 pm 
 

Better with this old-time rocking stuff and metal, than KK going Sabaton or something like that?!

He's doing what he loves to do. I cannot see anything wrong with that. I mean I want British heavy (rocking) metal from KK and JP, thank you.

'BotR' is definitely catchy. It's not a rip-off of Saxon's 'Warriors of the Road', but yeah, sounds like old British steel anyway...

Top
 Profile  
Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:34 pm
Posts: 389
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 pm 
 

Everyone claiming it sounds like Saxon but the song is very reminiscent of Come And Get It.
_________________
[My Soundcloud || My Last.fm || Concerts I've Attended]

Top
 Profile  
LegendMaker
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1808
Location: France
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:38 pm 
 

"Oh Les Binks is no longer available? Let's take the first dime-a-dozen generic metal drummer we can afford instead. It'll be fine..."

Not significantly worse than the past three decades of the actual Priest trying and failing to capture or even understand what made 'Painkiller' work, but still worse. A LOT less inspired than the official band in recent years though, and that's saying something. I mean, shit like 'Angel of Redemption' or 'Fire Power' is pretty much post-Painkiller Priest in autopilot mode, but this actually sounds like a tribute/worship band instead. They're actually using copy-paste as a "songwriting" approach...

77hjrttfred wrote:
Is it a stretch to say the JP has missed KKs input in recent years? His songwriting was important to JP.

Not at all. Tipton and Halford were always the only two essential songwriters. Downing helped out here and there, a lot, and might even have been the main composer of a select few classics, but in general he was seasoning, not a main ingredient. Edit: I'm only referring to songwriting, here. As a lead guitarist, his contributions were important, albeit not as good or as iconic as Tipton's.

On that note, it's funny to me that someone else brought up the super early days of "the band", from which only KK crossed over to the actual Judas Priest we know and love, as though this gave Downing more importance. The real Priest band only started the day Glenn Tipton entered the picture. I saw old footage of the band already with Halford singing but before Tipton joined, performing Whishy Woman of Changes, and it was still a boring as fuck standard rock song at that point. It only became the innovative epic it'll go down in history as after Tipton polished it, gave it the proper groove and feel, and added the metal and prog bits to it. Al Atkins and the rest of the Pete Bests they left behind can hang on to that legacy all they want, it's not really theirs. And it's not primarily Downing's either.
_________________
Osore wrote:
I would like to hear some recommendations of black metal bands/albums that sound depressive, yet sad and melancholic at the same time.


Last edited by LegendMaker on Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1359
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:42 pm 
 

LegendMaker?!? Now there's a name from the past :)
_________________
aloof wrote:
if each of these fans (legally) download just the original version of the song their fave artist covered, that's coke and hookers for Lars' grandkids in the can!

Top
 Profile  
LegendMaker
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1808
Location: France
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:49 pm 
 

Yeah ^^ I'm still lurking semi-regularly, but it's pretty rare I post anything these days. But I'm still here. Hope you're all doing well, by the way.
_________________
Osore wrote:
I would like to hear some recommendations of black metal bands/albums that sound depressive, yet sad and melancholic at the same time.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Karpanians, Methuen and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group