Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:25 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
And I don't know if everybody wants to try to be "cool", but "wannabe tough guys who look like nu-metal clichés cool" is not my idea of cool. But yeah, like you said, to each their own. But I'm not really into the whole Rob Zombie meets dreadlocks era Max Cavalera stage presence they have, so it's not really working for me.

Yeah I'm not into any of that shit myself either. I can't say I've ever gotten into a band or genre based on image. I'm into it for the riffs, simple as that.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:32 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
And I don't know if everybody wants to try to be "cool", but "wannabe tough guys who look like nu-metal clichés cool" is not my idea of cool. But yeah, like you said, to each their own. But I'm not really into the whole Rob Zombie meets dreadlocks era Max Cavalera stage presence they have, so it's not really working for me.

Yeah I'm not into any of that shit myself either. I can't say I've ever gotten into a band or genre based on image. I'm into it for the riffs, simple as that.

No, of course. I listen to the music for the music. But the attitude and stage presence does have a bit of an impact on my appreciation of a live show. To be fair, their looks and attitude isn't horrible. I mean, there are musicians I find to be truly despicable during live shows. The guys of Machine Head were nowhere near the level of douchyness of guys like Gene Simmons or anything. They were just not giving me a good vibe. I've felt the same with bands I actually liked. Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius, for instance, or Sharlee D'Angelo of Arch Enemy back in 06, were musicians I didn't really like during live performances. The Kotipelto was giving a very pretentious vibe. Starring over the crowd, talking to us like he was just repeating a text he had memorized. D'Angelo had this weird wannabe badass energy, and I remember him spitting into the crowd at some point. Not cool.

But yeah, like you said, this doesn't really matter when talking strictly about the music.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Smalley wrote:
Xytras71 wrote:

Guess I’ll feel like an asshole when I vote for “Burn My Eyes” in 90s poll whenever we get to it, lmao
Hey, at least you'll have me there, right beside you feeling like an a-hole too.
:-D

Make room for a 3rd asshole.

Shhh you wouldn't want your ballots to mysteriously disappear, like mine has in all likelyhood :tinfoil: BH himself admitted to the almighty, infallible Wintersun doing poorly in his polls which could have no other possible explanation.

As for Machine Head live, they've absolutely slayed every time I've seen them. Say what you will about their music, I think Robb's passion and energy playing music is undeniable, just a born to perform kind of character. No posturizing of any kind that I could see, a lot of alpha male "urban" energy though which not all metal folks are going to vibe with.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:34 am 

Here’s my list
1) Pagan Altar-Mythical & Magical (2006)
2) Manilla Road-Voyager (2008)
3) The Lord Weird Slough Feg-Down Among The Deadmen (2000)
4) Angel Dust-Enlighten The Darkness (2000)
5) Pharaoh-The Longest Night (2006)
6)Steel Assassin-War Of The Eight Saints (2007)
7) Ballistic- S/T (2003)
8) Twisted Tower Dire-Netherworlds (2007)
9) Doomsword-Resound The Horn (2002)
10) Hibria-Defying The Rules (2004)

11-20
Spoiler: show
11) Onward-Evermoving
12) Brocas Helm-Defender of the Crown
13)Hammers of Misfortune-The August Engine
14)Gates of Slumber-Conquerer
15)Human Fortress-Defender of the Crown
16)Last Empire-Heir to the Throne
17)Vicious Rumors-Warball
18)Ram-Lightbringer
19)Axehammer-Windrider
20)Othyrworld-Beyond Into the Night of Day

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:45 am 

rawsewage wrote:
Here’s my list
1) Pagan Altar-Mythical & Magical (2006)
2) Manilla Road-Voyager (2008)
3) The Lord Weird Slough Feg-Down Among The Deadmen (2000)
4) Angel Dust-Enlighten The Darkness (2000)
5) Pharaoh-The Longest Night (2006)
6)Steel Assassin-War Of The Eight Saints (2007)
7) Ballistic- S/T (2003)
9) Doomsword-Resound The Horn (2002)
10) Hibria-Defying The Rules (2004)

11-20
11) Onward-Evermoving
13)Hammers of Misfortune-The August Engine
14)Gates of Slumber-Conquerer
16)Last Empire-Heir to the Throne
17)Vicious Rumors-Warball
18)Ram-Lightbringer
19)Axehammer-Windrider
20)Othyrworld-Beyond Into the Night of Day

Slough Feg is surely top 5 at this point. I didn't vote for DoomSword but I'm glad to see them mentioned several times now. For Those Who Died With Sword In Hand is such a boss tune.

The Gates of Slumber seems to be relegated to honorable mentions. I hope I'm not the sole vote for Hymns of Blood and Thunder

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:39 am 

Been listening to that one Slough Feg album since seeing so much on these lists, it's definitely good although I feel some disconnect with the 70's aesthetic and very theatrical vocals. Owned Hardworlder on CD back when it was new and had the same reaction to it, guess it's just a sort of hard rocking you either vibe with or don't.

Cool to see Manilla Road's Voyager represented, wasn't sure how many were going to pick out that particular one out of their last few albums but that album was always a major stand out to me that certainly competes with their 80's stuff. Probably 20-30's on my list.

rawsewage wrote:

Real sign of quality, that album title eh? :-D The Human Fortress one I do like a lot.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:43 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
The Gates of Slumber seems to be relegated to honorable mentions. I hope I'm not the sole vote for Hymns of Blood and Thunder

It's a shame because they had one helluva decade. Suffer No Guilt, Conqueror and Hymns... damn that's a great run of albums.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 am 

rawsewage wrote:

I freakin dig this album. Dire Wolf is one of my favorite TTD songs and it's the last great TTD album.

By the way, that was definitely not a shit list from sewage.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:13 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Smalley wrote:
Xytras71 wrote:
Guess I’ll feel like an asshole when I vote for “Burn My Eyes” in 90s poll whenever we get to it, lmao
Hey, at least you'll have me there, right beside you feeling like an a-hole too.

Make room for a 3rd asshole.

It's starting to seem like they're one of the most polarizing bands on M-A. The Blackening isn't in my top 10, but it might be in my top 20. BME probably lower on a 90s list, but certainly somewhere down in the honorable mentions. Haven't seen them live, so I don't really know quite how they come off, but the worst thing to me is that Rob's cleans, which are usually just passable at best on record, but tend to be out of tune at least on live videos. Regardless, the guitars and drumming often capture that elusively hard to get right mix of thrash and groove.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:15 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
rawsewage wrote:

I freakin dig this album. Dire Wolf is one of my favorite TTD songs and it's the last great TTD album.

By the way, that was definitely not a shit list from sewage.

I really like Netherworlds too. And yeah great list there rawsewage. Been a while since I heard fucking Steel Assassin. And that Axehammer album I go back to now and then, fun slab of old school stuff.

Doomsword and Ballistic are definitely some bands I need to give more time to again, been a while.

Bloodstone wrote:
Been listening to that one Slough Feg album since seeing so much on these lists, it's definitely good although I feel some disconnect with the 70's aesthetic and very theatrical vocals. Owned Hardworlder on CD back when it was new and had the same reaction to it, guess it's just a sort of hard rocking you either vibe with or don't.

Huh I never thought DATD had a 70s aesthetic, if that's the one you mean. I picked it because it's just one of the best examples I know of pure 80s style riff-centric heavy metal. That shit really impacted me when I was younger. It represented some kind of real musical freedom and wildness. Just pure unfettered metal rebelliousness and shit.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:31 am 

Just for funsies, here's a preview stat of which BANDS are doing the best. I decided to make it complicated and shake it up a bunch by only qualifying bands that have at least two non-randos (which is why you'll likely notice at least two very obvious omissions based on what lists have been posted)

1: Opeth
2: Primordial
3: Agalloch
4: Slough Feg
5: Bodom
6: Isis
7: Nile
8: DSO
9: Rev Biz
10: Kamelot

Bands that barely missed 10th place here: Sigh, D666, Enslaved

This is not the current ranking but if you pool all the points together and exclude bands that only had one super great one plus maybe a rando people haven't been voting for (this is why no Bolt Thrower or Iron Maiden, despite Those Once Loyal and Brave New World netting a lot of votes as you can see throughout this thread), these are the pound-for-pound winners with nine days to go.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:55 am 

Alright guys, this one was really hard. While this was of course the decade where I discovered metal, I actually started searching for earlier bands/albums and specific scenes pretty early on so it wasn't exactly as easy as I thought it would be. I did some thorough browsing through my old listening habits and found a lot of disappointment, positive surprises and of course evergreens, too.

1. In Flames - Clayman (2000)

In terms of impact, this is the one album that showed me that "real" metal was more than heavy chug-a-chug rhythms and tough-guy shouts. While I'm not too keen on Anders' vocals anymore, the whole package of this album remains a classic, especially considering how hard the band failed right after it. "Square Nothing", "Pinball Map", "Suburban Me"...each song tells me tales about my past, this is why "Clayman" wins.

2. Behemoth - Demigod (2004)

This killed me back when I got into metal, in the very year it was released. It's still the most brutal, in your face Behemoth album with all of their best ingredients clicking right into place. Still love the layered Nergal vocal machinery. Destructive. "Slaves Shall Serve" is one of the heaviest facerippers still today. Forever greatful to have experienced some of this live.

3. I - Between Two Worlds (2006)

The best album Immortal never made! Still need to do a review for this one...each and every song on this one is fabulous, the production is among the best I've ever heard in the genre and the tributes to Quorthon and the mountains of the north are most emotional rollercoasters. These lead guitars..and their TONE!

4. Belphegor - Lucifer Incestus (2003)

Fukk. My fellow Austrians have certainly delivered in this decade, but I had to settle for this one because it's the most complete package of death/black brutality, melody and Christ-hate that has ever graced my ears (after "Demigod", that is).

5. Rotting Christ - Theogonia (2007)

I was so happy when this came out, the best thing out of the Rotting Christ canon since 1996. Partially returning to their original style and combining it with their more modern, tribal tendencies...turned out a mighty fine record. Too bad, it's only been going downhill since...

6. Megadeth - United Abominations (2007)

The finest Megadeth record of this century and perhaps their most consistent overall, despite never reaching the heights of "Rust in Piece" of course. The last album with Dave's voice intact and his mixture of gnarling and singing sounds the most pleasing here. The soloing falls a bit short in the end, but the riffs and songwriting are high-caliber.

7. Amon Amarth - Versus the World (2002)

Had to pick this for their extreme influence on the younger me, even going as far and doing live covers with my former band; their final album truly deserving the "death metal" tag. The title track, "Where Silent Gods Stand Guard", Thousand Years of Oppression" and then some are forever embedded in my inner ears.

8. Vader - The Beast (2004)

I could imagine this being in the rando corner because obviously people are voting for "Litany" but over the years, with me actually mellowing out quite a bit, this was a most amazing experience after hearing it again in full after a long time. Vader at their catchiest and most melodic, with Daray deliving a fantastic introductory drum exhibition. Every song slays, especially "The Sea Came In At Last, "The Zone" and "Choices".

9. Rage - Soundchaser (2003)

Rage showed me that power metal could be more than just castrated singers riding on flower power dragons. While discovering metal, I had a extremely hard time getting the hype around Dragonforce and "power metal" in general so this one proved that things could be different. It's like Painkiller but heavier and with Germans, heh. I do know and like a bit more about the genre today, though ^^

10. Zemial - In Monumentum (2006)

It might not be the most consistent album of all times, but when they hit it here, they do it emotionally and so hard, it still makes me shed a tear or two... ("I Tan Epi Tas", "In Monumentum - Stone of the Ages" and "March of the Giants"). A great tribute to Quorthon and the last thing with the Zemial name on it that really did it for me.

Honorable mentions:

Agatus - The Weaving Fates (2002)
All Shall Perish - Hate . Malice . Revenge (2003)
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God (2008)
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side (2006)
Annihilator - Waking the Fury (2002)
Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin (2001)
Belphegor - Goatreich Fleshcult (2005)
Belphegor - Pestapokalypse VI (2007)
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal (2005)
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption (2006)
Destruction - All Hell Breaks Loose (2000)
Destruction - The Antichrist (2001)
Dio - Magica (2000)
Hirax - The New Age of Terror (2004)
Immortal - Damned in Black (2000)
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio (Live DVD, 2002)
Judas Iscariot - Dethroned, Conquered, Forgotten (2000)
Kataklysm - Serenity in Fire (2004)
Megadeth - The System Has Failed (2004)
Ministry - Rio Grande Blood (2006)
Rotting Christ - Khronos (2000)
Rotting Christ - Sanctus Diavolos (2004)
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait (2001)
Vader - Impressions in Blood (2006)

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Danzig - The Coldest Sun - NEW!
Adder's Fork - "The Fatalist (A Coming Dark)" music video! - NEW!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:56 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Just for funsies, here's a preview stat of which BANDS are doing the best. I decided to make it complicated and shake it up a bunch by only qualifying bands that have at least two non-randos (which is why you'll likely notice at least two very obvious omissions based on what lists have been posted)

This is not the current ranking but if you pool all the points together and exclude bands that only had one super great one plus maybe a rando people haven't been voting for (this is why no Bolt Thrower or Iron Maiden, despite Those Once Loyal and Brave New World netting a lot of votes as you can see throughout this thread), these are the pound-for-pound winners with nine days to go.

If I had to pick one power metal band that I would have thought would do well, it would not be Kamelot. I like some of their stuff, but I don't find them to be as brilliant as most of the power metal of their era. That said, I'm still missing a few of those records, so perhaps I'll track them down shortly.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:02 pm 

Smalley wrote:
Xytras71 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

That said, Machine Head is one of the most godawful metal bands in existence and even their "good" albums are atrocious. The fact that we're twenty days down and only just now saw one of their albums pop up as an honorable mention actually gives me hope for this community.

BH clearly missed my post, I had "The Blackening" as an HM back on page 9!

blackdiamond74
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:03 pm 

With all the mentions for Slough Feg this has given me a good excuse to delve into their work.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:42 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
It's starting to seem like they're one of the most polarizing bands on M-A. The Blackening isn't in my top 10, but it might be in my top 20. BME probably lower on a 90s list, but certainly somewhere down in the honorable mentions. Haven't seen them live, so I don't really know quite how they come off, but the worst thing to me is that Rob's cleans, which are usually just passable at best on record, but tend to be out of tune at least on live videos. Regardless, the guitars and drumming often capture that elusively hard to get right mix of thrash and groove.

Alcest used to be very polarizing, especially around the time Souvenirs d'un autre monde, got such a good reception from metalheads in general. And like always, when a post-black/shoegaze band would get any kind of positive reception, the trve kvlt crowd would jump-in to give it as much hate as possible. It was also very noticeable for bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, maybe even more so outside of MA. But bands like WITTR seem to have eventually earned the respect of the community, at least in here. I've seen a few mentions of their albums so far in this thread.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:45 pm 

blackdiamond74 wrote:
With all the mentions for Slough Feg this has given me a good excuse to delve into their work.

Same here :) I wanted to check them out for a while. But I figured now was as good time as any to do it :)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm 

motorsport wrote:

You're right! I never read honorable mentions lol

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:46 pm 

I finally solidified my list. This list was much harder than 2010-2019 list for me. I didn't limit myself to 1 album per artist for the 2010-2019 list, so I didn't do so here (obviously):

1. Acid Witch - "Witchtanic Hellucinations" (2008)
2. Leviathan - "The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide" (2003)
3. Immortal - "Sons of Northern Darkness" (2002)
4. Agalloch - "The Mantle" (2002)
5. Moonsorrow - "Kivenkantaja" (2003)
6. Moonsorrow - "Suden Uni" (2001)
7. Moonsorrow - "Voimasta ja Kunniasta" (2001)
8. Wolves in the Throne Room - "Black Cascade" (2009)
9. Myrkgrav - "Trollskau, Skrømt Og Kølabrenning" (2006)
10. Wolves in the Throne Room - "Two Hunters" (2007)

Here are all of my tough-to-cut honorable mentions:

Agalloch - "Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor" (A masterful EP with one of my all-time favorite covers)
Agalloch - "Ashes Against the Grain"
Ahab - "The Call of the Wretched Sea"
Ceremonial Castings - "Immortal Black Art"
Ceremonial Castings - "Barbaric is the Beast"
Drudkh - "Blood in Our Wells"
Drudkh - "Estrangement"
Drudkh - "Microcosmos"
Forgotten Tomb - "Springtime Depression"
Iron Maiden - "Brave New World"
Leviathan - "Howl Mockery at the Cross" (I included this one on the black metal mid-year poll, but talked myself out of it this time due to it being a compilation.)
Opeth - "Blackwater Park"
Opeth - "Ghost Reveries"
Sigh - "Imaginary Sonicscape"

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:58 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:

The finest Megadeth record of this century and perhaps their most consistent overall, despite never reaching the heights of "Rust in Piece" of course.

I think TSHF and EG are a bit better, but all three are underrated these days given how much shit Mustaine gets for well, pretty much anything he does and says in the past decade.

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait (2001)

Hey, finally someone else mentions this one. NBC might now be the most underrated album of theirs in this era.

motorsport wrote:

It was in mine even much before that, but it's not surprising since it was a lengthy list and he and I don't have enough in common to expect him to pour over it.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:09 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
CannibalCorpse wrote:

The finest Megadeth record of this century and perhaps their most consistent overall, despite never reaching the heights of "Rust in Piece" of course.

I think TSHF and EG are a bit better, but all three are underrated these days given how much shit Mustaine gets for well, pretty much anything he does and says in the past decade.

The System Has Failed was my first "new" Megadeth album at the time I was getting into metal. My first bands were Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Edguy and InFlames, but pretty quickly I got into Megadeth, namely through my brother who was very much into Megadeth, Metallica, Kreator and Overkill. The System Has Failed came out when my love for metal really sparked and started to grow bigger and bigger. I have a soft spot for it because of the place it held for me back then. But even if it wasn't for this biais I have in it's favor, I think it ranks among the best Megadeth albums, somewhere after Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction. I actually listened to it more than I listened to Peace Sells (which is an amazing album, btw. Don't make me say things I didn't say). Blackmail the Universe, Die Dead Enough, and Kick the Chair, all transition so perfectly into one another. Great way to open up the album.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:34 pm 

Meagdeth was one of the first metal bands I ever got into. I bought "Countdown" in 1994 when I was only in 4th grade. Of the 2000's megadeth albums, I think I'd rank them:

1. The System Has Failed
2. Endgame
3. The World Needs A Hero
4. United Abominations

I think the only reason I put TWNAH above UA is because when it was released, even though it wasn't truly the return to form that it was being marketed as, after Risk, it sounded so much heavier.

Having said that, Washington Is Next! Is a top 10 megadeth song for me.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:04 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:
2. Leviathan - "The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide" (2003)
8. Wolves in the Throne Room - "Black Cascade" (2009)

Great list. Just curious, what made you go Black Cascade over Two Hunters? I don't see too many people putting that above other Wittr albums.

Also, with the "tenth sub level..." on your list and "howl mockery.." in your honorable mentions, how do you feel in general about "Tentacles of whorror"? I'm the only one I've seen to put that particular Leviathan album in my final list but I've seen "tenth sub level..." mentioned a number of times. "Tentacles..." is one of my favorite black metal albums of all time but "tenth sub level..." seems to get a lot more love and I've always wondered why?

Not knocking those two selections at all, genuinely wondering...

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:43 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
This was fucking tough. I was slowly chipping away albums from the list, until I realized I couldn't do it anymore and just picked and rearranged. It hurt like hell not including Neurosis, Emperor and a few others, but as much as I love those bands dearly, their output during that decade was just beaten by the other contenders on the list. Next time I vouch for 20 votes, as these 10 can change up a bit depending on my mood and ranking them was really just splitting hairs.

I also want to give a very special mention to Ulver's Shadows Of The Sun - if this weren't a strictly "metal" poll, it would absolutely be here somewhere as for me it should be on that list of "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die." Anyways here's my list, and I wanted to share a few thoughts on each one.

1. Agalloch - The Mantle (2002) - Not just my favourite album of the 2000's, but my favourite piece of music by any human beings ever. Fuck Bach, go 'loch. While I've gotten back into casually writing reviews for this site, I don't think I could ever find the words to truly articulate what this record means to me. There's truly nothing else like it.

2. Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain (2006) - I intended on sticking strictly to 1 album per band, but Agalloch get a special exception here. Always and forever a fanboy. Absolute monument of a record that resonates with almost every side of me. I would be hard pressed to include The White EP and Of Stone, Wind And Pillor as well, but I'm sticking to full lengths.

I picked both The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain for my top 10 as well, and I definitely know what you mean when saying that you wouldn't know where to start to review their stuff. Both of these albums are absolutely majestic albums, and untouchable classics for me. Amazing stuff :)

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
7. Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt (2004) - James Malone was a guitar player that really opened my eyes, and to me, A Celebration Of Guilt is his crowning achievement. The melodies are not just catchy and memorable, but unique amongst themselves and amongst the rest of the melodic and technical death metal genres. They seem genuinely classical in nature and are very elaborately crafted, while still letting the album remain as a fucking pummelling death metal album. Considering how this is lauded as a cornerstone for the genre, this is the album I'm most shocked I don't see it in more people's lists.

8. Taake - Hordalands Doedskvad (2005) - Taake were an absolutely pivotal band in my endeavours as a songwriter, and were key in laying a blueprint for me to learn how to not only write black metal in general, but how to write strong melodies. It was super tough to decide between this album and Bjoergvin, but moments like that Harry Potter-ish riff in Pt. III and the ending of Pt. I are what made my mind up (and I was never really into Harry Potter, but god damn that riff is incredible).

Two great albums as well. I didn't put them in my top 10, but they are definitely solid records. A Celebration of Guilt is an album I got into a little after it came out, and it did quite an impression on my. To me, it fits right there with the kind of more melodic, but still very death metal brand of death metal that they and bands like Quo Vadis, Martyr and Carcass were playing at the time. Very riff heavy, technical and still very melodic and intricate. Good stuff!

Thanks! And I can agree with what you said about A Celebration Of Guilt; it definitely fits in with that club of bands. I also find it super reminiscent of Swedish melo-death as well - but better. Arsis did Gothenburg better than any of the Gothenburg bands!

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I am sort of surprised to see CoB on there...I was sort of assuming they were in that Rhapsody/Nightwish/Iced Earth/Cradle of Filth crowd that would have absolutely dominated this list 10 years ago but seem less popular now.

I guess not though.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:52 pm 

Final list:

1. Darkspace - Dark Space I
2. The Ruins of Beverast - Rain Upon the Impure
3. Darkspace - Darkspace III
4. Panzerchrist - Battalion Beast
5. Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With The Stars
6. Lunar Aurora - Mond
7. Evoken - Antithesis of Light
8. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
9. Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice
10. Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked

First four were easy picks for me. Everything else I had to do a little bit of qualifier listening. I realized that maybe 10 years ago, Leviathan's Tenth Sublevel... might have charted high, but it just kinda dropped off for me. Seems like my favorite Leviathan material anymore from that decade is The Speed of Darkness and The Blind Wound. And obviously I'd still take Lurker of Chalice over them.
Glen Benton had a Bigfoot sighting in Florida

This has been debunked. He actually just saw Erik Rutan.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:55 pm 

PeteGas wrote:
I am sort of surprised to see CoB on there...I was sort of assuming they were in that Rhapsody/Nightwish/Iced Earth/Cradle of Filth crowd that would have absolutely dominated this list 10 years ago but seem less popular now.

I guess not though.

I can see what you mean. But Follow the Reaper really is just that amazing. Maybe the recent passing of Alexi Laiho also influenced a lot of us to revisit CoB's greatest records over the last few months. I know it did for me. And it really was a very sad, but also nostalgic moment for me. Maybe having relistened to this a few months prior to starting the poll might have had an influence on people's votes. We'll never know. However, I can say that regardless of this, Follow the Reaper really still stands out to me, and most likely to others, as a masterpiece. And to be fair, there really is nothing quite like it. Even bands who emulated CoB sounds for an entire decade after FtR came out, never managed to reproduce the magic that only Laiho could produce.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:59 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

A lot of people are voting for Darkspace, and to be honest, I can't really remember them being that popular during the 2000's. Did you guys listen to Darkspace during the 00's, or did you pick their stuff up later? I personnally only found out about them rather recently, and that was through discovering Paysage d'hiver and looking at a French cover arts in metal documentary.

These two records are amazing though. I love the use of samples from movies and series on Darkspace III. The distress beacon from Sunshine, and the quotes from Twin Peaks and Event Horizon. I love it :)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 pm 

I feel like Laiho's death definitely impacted how COB was seen. I played Follow the Reaper again recently and not bashing it, but it wouldn't be close to a top 10 or even 20-30 of albums from this time. But they were unique, for sure.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:12 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I feel like Laiho's death definitely impacted how COB was seen. I played Follow the Reaper again recently and not bashing it, but it wouldn't be close to a top 10 or even 20-30 of albums from this time. But they were unique, for sure.

Well, I mean, if I was as heavily into melodic death metal stuff as I was in my 20's, it would have landed somewhere in my top 10 for sure. I actually included Kalmah's Swampsong in my final top 10, but in the genre, FtR would pretty much be somewhere between my 2nd and 4th favorite (although I have not given this much thought). It truly is a solid album. But yeah, with how my tastes have changed throughout the last decade, FtR didn't earn a spot in my top 10, but it's a solid album nonetheless.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:36 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

No love for II?

Wilytank wrote:
4. Panzerchrist - Battalion Beast

I haven't seen this one mentioned much. Good choice.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I think it’s a great record...but wouldn’t have a crack at my list either. I love how those early albums just had MORE of everything...everyone shredding on 10 all the time. Would sort of like to have had a clean singer sometimes though.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:19 am 

BastardHead wrote:

Surprised to not see Katatonia up there. Their 2000s albums are what made them insanely popular. Then again, I don't think anyone agrees about which one in particular. The Great Cold Distance would've been the one for me.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:37 am 

Surprised to not see Katatonia up there. Their 2000s albums are what made them insanely popular. Then again, I don't think anyone agrees about which one in particular. The Great Cold Distance would've been the one for me.

It's good music, The Great Cold Distance is also my personnal favorite, but it's not really a metal album, so I didn't give it much consideration for my top 10. I assume others have done the same. It doesn't mean that we don't like Katatonia albums from the 2000's though.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:56 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
CannibalCorpse wrote:

The System Has Failed was my first "new" Megadeth album at the time I was getting into metal. My first bands were Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Edguy and InFlames, but pretty quickly I got into Megadeth, namely through my brother who was very much into Megadeth, Metallica, Kreator and Overkill.

Yeah, we seem to have some similarities in earlier trajectories, though we've ended up in somewhat different places. I got into Megadeth a bit late myself, I'd been more into Metallica and Pantera first. TSHF was my first full-length from Megadeth, though I'd accumulated half a dozen or so MP3s of other songs before then. Found RIP and CTE right after and was obsessed with those for awhile. CoB, Edguy and In Flames were also early obsessions a few years before I got around to properly checking out Megadeth. Found Kalmah a bit later and enjoyed them but was never heavily into them.

jimbies wrote:
Meagdeth was one of the first metal bands I ever got into. I bought "Countdown" in 1994 when I was only in 4th grade.

You definitely had an early start on me. At that point I'd just discovered Elton John.

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
A Celebration Of Guilt; it definitely fits in with that club of bands. I also find it super reminiscent of Swedish melo-death as well - but better. Arsis did Gothenburg better than any of the Gothenburg bands!

Arsis is one of a number of bands I have in my cue to revisit since they seem to have a bit of a following here. I remember liking them back in the day, but they seemed in a weird spot for me at the time, not quite as melodic as my favorites, but not bonkers enough to touch some of the other tech death at the time. Quo Vadis rode that line better for me at that point.

HeavenDuff wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

A lot of people are voting for Darkspace, and to be honest, I can't really remember them being that popular during the 2000's. Did you guys listen to Darkspace during the 00's, or did you pick their stuff up later? I personnally only found out about them rather recently, and that was through discovering Paysage d'hiver and looking at a French cover arts in metal documentary.

These two records are amazing though. I love the use of samples from movies and series on Darkspace III. The distress beacon from Sunshine, and the quotes from Twin Peaks and Event Horizon. I love it :)

You're making me want to revisit Darkspace. I love Sunshine and Event Horizon, and Twin Peaks is a show I want to see but haven't made time for yet. I think I most consciously remember hearing them in the early 10s when I was exploring around for more dark ambient. Their black metal elements were too dominant to suit that mood, but reevaluating them a number of months ago from the context of black metal with added atmospheric components recontextualized them in a better light, and I'm intrigued to give them a bit more listening time soon.

Yeah, that's on mine (which I haven't submitted yet, so they'll get a slight boost when I do). Doing it on a band basis should eliminate the vote splitting issue though. I think the problem is that they're on a fair number of honorable mention lists but not on enough top 10s. It's probably a product of them being one of many bands that were more popular in the 00s fading a bit over the years as people's tastes shift. Opeth it seems is just too huge even for a decade plus of non-metal to slow them down. Kamelot is the power metal surprise. Isis has the good fortune of having their entire discography slot into this eligible era, so there's a lot to choose from. CoB probably has the boost from Alexi's untimely passing recently. Everything else on the top 13 bands more or less quite opportunely fits into M-A's predilections.

HeavenDuff wrote:

It's good music, The Great Cold Distance is also my personnal favorite, but it's not really a metal album, so I didn't give it much consideration for my top 10. I assume others have done the same. It doesn't mean that we don't like Katatonia albums from the 2000's though.

Do you really think that's the reason? If you ignore vocal style, it's the most pummeling album of their career. I love them, but even their first few albums are less extreme than people remember, particularly BMD, which has the benefit of a savage Akerfeldt guest role making it sound more brutal than it really is. The riffs by the time of TGCD have an increasing Tool influence which to some starts putting them in a more rock/alternative "metal" camp, but it's completely different from what say Anathema and Ulver did in that period, where they became obviously non-metal. Katatonia was still extremely heavy in terms of crushing guitar riffs and drumming. VE and then especially TGCD are a significant step in intensity up particularly over TD, which while fantastic, is more like Weezer in sonic firepower. I'm on record here in starting to ponder the metalness of their last couple for the metal album of the year thread, but I don't really have this hangup in relation to TGCD, and I'm curious if others really do.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:44 am 

Can only speak for myself, but Follow the Reaper was a lock for my top slot long before Alexi's death. Hate Crew Deathroll was always going to score highly too, as will Hatebreeder whenever the '90s poll rolls around (and Something Wild will probably figure too). Just an incredible run of albums that has never faded for me, regardless of my taste changes.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:58 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Yeah, we seem to have some similarities in earlier trajectories, though we've ended up in somewhat different places. I got into Megadeth a bit late myself, I'd been more into Metallica and Pantera first. TSHF was my first full-length from Megadeth, though I'd accumulated half a dozen or so MP3s of other songs before then. Found RIP and CTE right after and was obsessed with those for awhile. CoB, Edguy and In Flames were also early obsessions a few years before I got around to properly checking out Megadeth. Found Kalmah a bit later and enjoyed them but was never heavily into them.

I actually didn't start with the 70's and 80's classics. Somehow I just skipped right over these, and got into metal via the bands I listed earlier, so yeah, CoB, Edguy, Kalmah, InFlames, but also random stuff like Finntroll, because some of my friends listened to those. Then I got into this huge Slipknot phase, and while this was going on, I discovered the older bands, like Iron Maiden, but also Megadeth, but for some reason it took a while longer before I got into Metallica. I had the black album, but that was about it for Metallica.

But yeah, since Kalmah was so very formative for me, and still sounds amazing to my ears, I couldn't not include them in my final top 10.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Do you really think that's the reason? If you ignore vocal style, it's the most pummeling album of their career. I love them, but even their first few albums are less extreme than people remember, particularly BMD, which has the benefit of a savage Akerfeldt guest role making it sound more brutal than it really is. The riffs by the time of TGCD have an increasing Tool influence which to some starts putting them in a more rock/alternative "metal" camp, but it's completely different from what say Anathema and Ulver did in that period, where they became obviously non-metal. Katatonia was still extremely heavy in terms of crushing guitar riffs and drumming. VE and then especially TGCD are a significant step in intensity up particularly over TD, which while fantastic, is more like Weezer in sonic firepower. I'm on record here in starting to ponder the metalness of their last couple for the metal album of the year thread, but I don't really have this hangup in relation to TGCD, and I'm curious if others really do.

Well, metal isn't just about being heavy or intense. I mean, I love bands like If These Trees Could Talk or Scale the Summit, and they have very heavy, distorted, layered sections, but they are still post-rock and progressive rock.

I didn't think about including Katatonia in my top 10 because I didn't really perceive much of their 2000's output as metal, so in my case, yes, that's the reason. But I mean, I could definitely see someone, like you are doing right here, make a good case for them to be included. Like you said, it's not as cut and dry as Perdition City, Shadows of the Sun, or Blood Inside by Ulver. But I have to assume that at least some others in here had the same thought process as me when making their top 10. I mean, I love TGCD (I don't think it would have made my top 10 even if I did consider it, though) but that was part of my process when trying to make my short list. Considering just how many great metal albums their were to choose from, I didn't spend much time thinking about those that are kind of on the verge. But again, I can definitely see why someone would include one of Katatonia's releases from their 00 era.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:00 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Can only speak for myself, but Follow the Reaper was a lock for my top slot long before Alexi's death. Hate Crew Deathroll was always going to score highly too, as will Hatebreeder whenever the '90s poll rolls around (and Something Wild will probably figure too). Just an incredible run of albums that has never faded for me, regardless of my taste changes.

Of course. I truly hope that no one will interpret my previous comment on CoB as a way to suggest that Follow the Reaper is receiving undeserved votes for this poll because of Laiho's passing. FtR is a legendary album in my opinion.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:07 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
If I had to pick one power metal band that I would have thought would do well, it would not be Kamelot. I like some of their stuff, but I don't find them to be as brilliant as most of the power metal of their era. That said, I'm still missing a few of those records, so perhaps I'll track them down shortly.

Yeah I didn't expect it either, looking at the votes I would have thought Lost Horizon would be leading on the power metal side.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:34 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:

Of course. I truly hope that no one will interpret my previous comment on CoB as a way to suggest that Follow the Reaper is receiving undeserved votes for this poll because of Laiho's passing. FtR is a legendary album in my opinion.

Hopefully my comment didn't come across as some sort of passive aggressive barb either. Was just putting in my two cents to say it didn't have any sway for me. All good :thumbsup:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next