Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:30 am 

Listened to Chimera the other day which sounded great, that was one of the two i have left to hear, the other being Grand Declaration of War, the snippets ive heard of that dont sound like usual mayhem style though. Whats your least favourite album of theirs?

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 am 

Grand Declaration of War, Chimera and Daemon are my least favourite Mayhem albums.

Me have a really recent thread about the subject here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130125

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:51 am 

Grand Declaration of War, Ordo ab Chao.
Phobia!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:01 am 

ordo ad chao, I guess. I might still add daemon to that pile, although I'm still on the fence about this. could be their most derivative album so far.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:13 am 

Probably Chimera.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:35 am 

Since I didn't get around to contribute in the very recent "rank Mayhem albums"-thread, I'll chime in here and say the latest 2 are my least favourite. And DMDS would always be their impeccably greatest album if the vocals were less eccentric and attention-grabbing (not hating on Attila; he's a true vocal artist, but on a traditional masterpiece like DMDS, it's sadly too much of something that detracts from the core music).

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:51 am 

Probably Daemon, though with the disclaimer that I don’t particularly dislike any of their albums to be honest. I just prefer the more adventurous and experimental side of Mayhem and Daemon was the first album that felt like a true-to-heart retread of previous material (DMDS).

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:49 pm 

Do the early demos count? Sure, they're still trying to find their sound, but even then, the production in those demos are some of the worst I've ever heard, and it makes some raw black metal bands sound like Bon Jovi.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:22 pm 

Mediolanum Capta Est - the vocals are laughably awful. Forever ruined by my wife being able to mimic them perfectly, but just a little higher, so he does sound like a pissed off Kobold or something. An angry, satantic Kobold, but still. Still makes me laugh when shuffle picks something off that recording.

jose_G
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:23 pm 

ordo ab chao

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:46 pm 

Interesting replies, I loved Ordo ad Chao whereas I found Esoteric Warfare a bit harder to get into. Daemon i remember being pretty good.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:27 pm 

All of them except the debut are equally terrible

EDIT: Attilla on the debut kinda sucks, the Dead versions are much better. Makes me wish there was this album's production with him on vocals

Last edited by TheLoneForest on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:30 pm 

All of them except Mysteriis.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:51 pm 

I'll go Ordo although Grand Declaration has a real crack. Grand is probably the most obnoxiously shitty thing they ever did, but Ordo just sounds so very very bad. Utterly repellent record.

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:03 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Interesting replies, I loved Ordo ad Chao whereas I found Esoteric Warfare a bit harder to get into. Daemon i remember being pretty good.

I fall into this category as well.

I actually really enjoy Ordo ad Chao. I love the brooding, oppressive atmosphere and the way the music at times feels like it's flailing about frantically whilst being strangled.
Esoteric Warfare I just found to be unmemorable, whereas Ordo ad Chao instantly demands my attention and never let it go (I felt that from the first listen).

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:21 pm 

wone21r wrote:
I actually really enjoy Ordo ad Chao. I love the brooding, oppressive atmosphere and the way the music at times feels like it's flailing about frantically whilst being strangled.

100% There's nothing that sounds quite like it - a brutal and uncomfortable listen. Also one of the best extreme vocal performances ever put to record.

As far as my least favorite Mayhem album, I'd go Esoteric Warfare - but even then I dont hate the album - just forgettable and I have rarely returned to it. But if we're counting all Mayhem releases, I think the pre-DMDS "classics" kind of suck or at the very most, are overrated (Deathcrush, Pure Fucking Armageddon and Live in Leipzig).

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:40 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:

EDIT: Attilla on the debut kinda sucks, the Dead versions are much better. Makes me wish there was this album's production with him on vocals

Man, aren't you tired of being wrong all the time?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:09 pm 

It's a tossup between Ordo ad Chao and Esoteric Warfare for me, I really don't like those albums at all.

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:41 am 

Daemon easily, just as if they went in a direction that's not my thing. The production seems quite trebly for one thing.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:23 am 

ThePoop wrote:
wone21r wrote:

100% There's nothing that sounds quite like it - a brutal and uncomfortable listen. Also one of the best extreme vocal performances ever put to record.

Yeah agreed - Ordo & Chimera are just strange - they'd settled on that post-Grand Declaration guitar sound too (I always call it the 'Mayhem sound, I don't have the technical language - 2:15 - 2:30 on Great Work of Ages, 1:35- 2:00ish on Dark Night of the Soul). Lots of bands now take off that particular sound when they're being 'brutal', it crops up everywhere from atmoblack to corsetcore - strangely subtle influence really.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:36 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

Not sure what that means seeing how I'm not you

In_Zane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:43 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

Not sure what that means seeing how I'm not you

How dare you have your own opinion!

:D
Phobia!

oxwah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:01 am 

Either Esoteric Warfare or Daemon. I don't dislike any Mayhem album, but one of the most appealing things about the band for me is how drastically different their releases were from one another. Esoteric Warfare wasn't enough of a change from Ordo Ad Chao. Daemon was more of a throwback to DMDS, which is fine, but I'd rather just listen to DMDS again. It's weird, because Attila is no stranger to experimentation, but I feel like his second tenure in Mayhem brought a lot more focus to the band's direction, for better or worse.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 am 

Grand Dec. Didn't get into that one much at all really, all the rest are at least alright.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I'll go Ordo although Grand Declaration has a real crack. Grand is probably the most obnoxiously shitty thing they ever did, but Ordo just sounds so very very bad. Utterly repellent record.

"Utterly repellant" sounds pretty impressive for a black metal record. Especially if it can make even fans of the genre react that way.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:03 pm 

In_Zane wrote:

How dare you have your own opinion!

:D

I know right? Metalheads whine about how they're "discriminated" in one thread then say shit like this lmao

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:14 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
I know right? Metalheads whine about how they're "discriminated" in one thread then say shit like this lmao

You're always dropping hyperbolic and silly hot-takes. Don't be surprised when people reciprocate with their own opinion on what you say instead of being all "Woah bro - it's just my opinion, ok?" And holy non-sequitur bringing up the discrimination thread. HeavenDuff never even replied to that thread so what the fuck are you talking about lol

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:17 pm 

Esoteric Warfare was so tremendously terrible that I have no interest in hearing Daemon. So, that one.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:44 pm 

Chimera and Esoteric Warfare. They are not offensively bad, but they did absolutely fucking nothing for me. Perfect case of in one ear and out the other.
Fire walk with me"

DungeonShade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:51 pm 

Grand Declaration of War as the worst by far followed by Esoteric Warfare. Too many abrupt stops and starts within the songs and not much material I enjoy. Track titles/durations and vocals are particularly offensive on Grand Declaration. Deathcrush, De Mysteriis, Wolf's Lair Abyss + Chimera = :thumbsup: Still need to listen to Daemon though.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:47 pm 

I hate the start-stop-songwriting as well, it kills any momentum the songs achieve. I think Grand Declaration of War makes it work better than Esoteric Warfare.

Esoteric Warfare is the worst, in my opinion, for that reason. Daemon is a bit derivative, but I really enjoy it, while I never have the urge to re-visit EW. I will highly recommend the lyrics though. Amazing mix of war, occult themes, conspiracy theories, aliens and secret societies.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:59 pm 

Esoteric Warfare and Ordo Ad Chao are my least favourites.

I'm not a fan of the songwriting coming from the Teloch and Ghul partnership, and I have no clue what the fuck happened to Ordo Ad Chao in the songwriting department either (was it mainly Blasphemer?).

Attila, one of the most eccentric frontmen in the whole genre, manages to sound extremely uninspired and boring if he's not singing anything off DMDS
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:02 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

You're always dropping hyperbolic and silly hot-takes. Don't be surprised when people reciprocate with their own opinion on what you say instead of being all "Woah bro - it's just my opinion, ok?" And holy non-sequitur bringing up the discrimination thread. HeavenDuff never even replied to that thread so what the fuck are you talking about lol

I was going to mention I didn't write in that other thread. Thanks ThePoop for mentionning this.

TheLoneForest, you've been going around threads lately just to say that bands and albums beloved on this forum, are flamming piles of garbage, without ever giving any form of explanation as to why you have these opinions. I truly do not mind people having different tastes and opinions from mine, but your whole too cool for school attitude really isn't contributing much to discussions.

Tau75
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:36 am 

Daemon , really dont like it.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:15 am 

Esoteric Warfare or Chimera. Neither have had any lasting impressions. I don’t hate any Mayhem though and everything ranges from indifferent to essential.

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:52 pm 

Deathcrush and Esoteric Warfare. I've never really liked Deathcrush, it just hasn't clicked for me and Esoteric Warfare just felt flat and lifeless.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:27 pm 

"Least favourite" is a good way to put it because, like a lot of others, I personally like every studio release the band's done. Maybe- maybe- Esoteric Warfare or Ordo Ad Chao would be among my "least favourite" but that's a far cry from disliking them.

I think Mayhem's discography is fairly "alive" (which is no minor accomplishment) because they're so experimental and pretty much fearless when it comes to trying new things and, imo, their core identity always remains intact. But having no idea where they'll go, what they'll do next, is what keeps their catalogue so intriguing- no two are alike. And they clearly don't give a fuck what "the fans want", they just do whatever's interesting to them, which was kind of the original intent of black metal in general- "We don't care if people get it or if it's impenetrable or if the production's shit. This is what it is." So Mayhem are among the bands who've stayed very true to that, imo. They're most definitely leaders and not followers.

As far as 'Esoteric' goes, I've given this album many spins through the years, and it does eventually permeate your psyche (same as 'Ordo Ad Chao'), it's just that it's so weird and disjointed it takes a long time. I guess I'm stating the obvious and that's what some people hate about it, but the riffs and ideas are there, it just takes a lot of left turns before your mind can grab ahold of anything. But that's what the title implies, so it all supports the theme (again, same as 'Ordo') and leaves a mind-bending (or maybe mind-fucking) impression. Which, when you break through, can sometimes give a feeling of transcendence. Similar, in a broad sense, to some experimental jazz records of the late 60s/early 70s, like Herbie Hancock's 'Thrust' or 'Sextant' or Miles Davis's 'Bitches Brew' or 'On The Corner' (which is fucking awesome). Or, for sheer chaos, Ornette Coleman's 'Free Jazz' (1960). So, if you're inclined, keep listening and play them as LOUD as you can.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:03 pm 

Grand Declaration of CRAP!

Nicencold
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:36 pm 

I cannot believe the hate Chimera and Ordo are getting. For me, they are the best albums each vocalist appeared on along with creative songwriting and insane drumming. The Milan live album was terrible due to production. I tried to manually re eq the entire thing to no avail. Esoteric was boring compared to Ordo. Losing Blasphemer was a terrible hit to the band. Daemon was a move in the right direction but was too mainstream sounding and polished, and Atilla handed over too much of the lyric writing duties.

black_metal_mountaineering
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:56 pm 

Esoteric Warfare is probably my least favourite but maybe I need to give it another spin

GDOW has some good songs but too many fillers

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next