Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:40 am 

Lyrici17 wrote:
9. Myrkgrav - "Trollskau, Skrømt Og Kølabrenning" (2006)

After seeing yourself and some others rate this, I went back and had a listen to this since I hadn't listened to it in some time. It's actually really good. I forgot how good it was, and it was a real treat going back to it.

In fact, it's been a real treat going back to a lot of albums mentioned in this thread just to remind myself of how good some albums are.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:19 am 

Lyrici17 wrote:
9. Myrkgrav - "Trollskau, Skrømt Og Kølabrenning" (2006)

Nice to see that this made someones list. I had to put it just outside my 10s. Fantastic album.

Edit. Oh, I see now that I sort of echoed the post above, lol.

totalthrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:26 am 

Here is my list.

I am an old school metal fan, don't listen to a lot of newer albums so it took me awhile to actually
find albums that qualified for this poll.

1. Sacrifice - The Ones I Condemn
2. Violator - Chemical Assault
3. Bywar - Heretic Signs
4. Dekapitator - Storm Before the Calm
5. Sodom - M-16
6. Destruction - Antichrist
7. Cannibal Corpse - Kill
8. Malevolent Creation - Warkult
9. Exhumed - Slaughtercult
10. Warbringer - War Without End

A few thoughts about my list. Overkill - Ironbound just missed the cut and some days I frankly think it should be in the list over Exhumed or Warbringer but at the end of the day I think I listen to Exhumed
and Warbringer more so I chose them. It was a touch choice for which C Corpse and M Creation album to pick as I also like Gore Obsessed and The Will to Kill too. I had Heathen - TEoC in my initial list but as someone else correctly pointed out the decade is 2000 - 2009 so 2010 is the next decade.

Most of the list is pretty interchangeable except the top 4. Sacrifice - TOIC is easily my favorite so called reunion album by an 80s band. Violator and Bywar are really the only newer thrash bands that I love, Warbringer is good but only WWE do I regularly still listen to. I just love that Dekapitator album and when that album was released it made me like and enjoy Exhumed more.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:29 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
3. I - Between Two Worlds (2006)

The best album Immortal never made! Still need to do a review for this one...each and every song on this one is fabulous, the production is among the best I've ever heard in the genre and the tributes to Quorthon and the mountains of the north are most emotional rollercoasters. These lead guitars..and their TONE!

Great to see this in someone else's list, love it and it's very close to sneaking into my ten.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Do you really think that's the reason? If you ignore vocal style, it's the most pummeling album of their career. I love them, but even their first few albums are less extreme than people remember, particularly BMD, which has the benefit of a savage Akerfeldt guest role making it sound more brutal than it really is. The riffs by the time of TGCD have an increasing Tool influence which to some starts putting them in a more rock/alternative "metal" camp, but it's completely different from what say Anathema and Ulver did in that period, where they became obviously non-metal. Katatonia was still extremely heavy in terms of crushing guitar riffs and drumming. VE and then especially TGCD are a significant step in intensity up particularly over TD, which while fantastic, is more like Weezer in sonic firepower. I'm on record here in starting to ponder the metalness of their last couple for the metal album of the year thread, but I don't really have this hangup in relation to TGCD, and I'm curious if others really do.

Well, metal isn't just about being heavy or intense. I mean, I love bands like If These Trees Could Talk or Scale the Summit, and they have very heavy, distorted, layered sections, but they are still post-rock and progressive rock.

I didn't think about including Katatonia in my top 10 because I didn't really perceive much of their 2000's output as metal, so in my case, yes, that's the reason. But I mean, I could definitely see someone, like you are doing right here, make a good case for them to be included. Like you said, it's not as cut and dry as Perdition City, Shadows of the Sun, or Blood Inside by Ulver. But I have to assume that at least some others in here had the same thought process as me when making their top 10. I mean, I love TGCD (I don't think it would have made my top 10 even if I did consider it, though) but that was part of my process when trying to make my short list. Considering just how many great metal albums their were to choose from, I didn't spend much time thinking about those that are kind of on the verge. But again, I can definitely see why someone would include one of Katatonia's releases from their 00 era.

TGCD is metallic certainly. They were within that same space Paradise Lost created Draconian Times-onward but with a proggier/alt bent? I thought it was so cool and that they'd inspire a bunch of clones but they've maintained their signature mopey-yet-intricate sound all on their own. "Soil's Song" for instance just goes really hard and is propulsive in the same way most riff-heavy metal tends to be.

Last edited by Metal_On_The_Ascendant on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:15 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Yeah, we seem to have some similarities in earlier trajectories, though we've ended up in somewhat different places. I got into Megadeth a bit late myself, I'd been more into Metallica and Pantera first. TSHF was my first full-length from Megadeth, though I'd accumulated half a dozen or so MP3s of other songs before then. Found RIP and CTE right after and was obsessed with those for awhile. CoB, Edguy and In Flames were also early obsessions a few years before I got around to properly checking out Megadeth. Found Kalmah a bit later and enjoyed them but was never heavily into them.

I actually didn't start with the 70's and 80's classics. Somehow I just skipped right over these, and got into metal via the bands I listed earlier, so yeah, CoB, Edguy, Kalmah, InFlames, but also random stuff like Finntroll, because some of my friends listened to those. Then I got into this huge Slipknot phase, and while this was going on, I discovered the older bands, like Iron Maiden, but also Megadeth, but for some reason it took a while longer before I got into Metallica. I had the black album, but that was about it for Metallica.

Yeah, it was a pretty random hodge-podge of jumping from band to band. I found Black Sabbath and Slipknot around the same time fairly early on, but didn't really delve into Priest and Maiden until a few years later after I'd already been slowly wading deeper into extreme metal, so it was kind of a step backwards. Lots of sporadic filling in the gaps since then, like not having properly listened to Budgie until last year, and non-Rising albums from Rainbow until just this year. I'm still not positive I've listened to a full Motorhead album (though I know well enough who they are and have heard individual songs), and I'm sure there are other examples. But then I've heard acres of obscure 90s-00s bands, so we all have different entry points and exploration strategies. I heard a song or two from Finntroll randomly, but I've made little systematic attempt to familiarize myself with folk metal, just whenever something pops onto my radar by happenstance.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:46 am 

So... y'all ready for my list?

Well, here it is:

1. Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
2. Abyssmal Sorrow - Lament
3. Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation
4. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
5. Agalloch - The Mantle
6. Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
7. Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing
8. Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea
9. Crowbar - Sonic Excess in its Purest Form
10. Mercenary - Everblack

Honorable Mentions:
Spoiler: show
Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde
All That Remains - This Darkened Heart
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals
Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls with Sand
Astral Sleep - Unawakening
Asunder - A Clarion Call
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes
The Austrasian Goat - The Austrasian Goat
Beyond the Embrace - Insect Song
Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh
Catacombs - In The Depths of R'lyeh
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper
Corrupted - El Mundo Frio
Dark Tranquillity - Character
Darkest Hour - Mark of the Judas
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin
Demonoid - Riders of the Apocalypse
Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of D-Generation
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
Dragonland - Astronomy
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
Eluveitie - Spirit
Elysian Blaze - Levitating the Carnal
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Before the Bleeding Sun
Evergrey - In Search of Truth
Evoken - Antithesis of Light
The Extinct Dreams - Ars Moriendi
The Fall of Every Season - From Below
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
Gorefest - Rise to Ruin
Heaven and Hell - The Devil You Know
Heaven Shall Burn - Deaf to Our Prayers
Heaven Shall Burn - Iconoclast
Heaven Shall Burn - Whatever It May Take
Hypocrisy - Virus
In Flames - Clayman
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
Kauan - Lumikuuro
Keldian - Journey of Souls
Khanate - Khanate
Longing For Dawn - Between Elation and Despair
Longing For Dawn - One Lonely Path
Moonspell - The Antidote
Moonspell - Darkness and Hope
Mournful Congregation - The June Frost
Nightingale - Invisible
Nightingale - Nightfall Overture
Nightingale - White Darkness
Night of Suicide - Unanswered
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Norther - Mirror of Madness
Nortt - Gudsforladt
Ondskapt - Dodens Evangelium
Praying Mantis - Sanctuary
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design
Shape of Despair - Illusion's Play
Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild
Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came
Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
Therion - Secret of the Runes
Therion - Sirius B
Therion - Lemuria
Tyr - Ragnarok
Tyranny - Bleak Vistae
Tyranny - Tides of Awakening
Vader - Impressions in Blood
Warning - Watching From A Distance
While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachrymose
Wormphlegm - Tomb of the Ancient King
Xasthur - Funeral of Being
Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide
Янтарные Слёзы - Откровение отречённых

2000 to 2009 was a formative time for my love of metal, and many albums I consider the best now are the ones I enjoyed a lot during those days. For instance, Killswitch Engage was one of the first bands I liked, and the album Alive or Just Breathing remains my top favorite album of any metalcore band (though, Undoing Ruin by Darkest Hour is a damn close second), this decade is also when I discovered funeral doom, so a couple major funeral doom releases are in there.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Last edited by Goatfangs on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:19 am 

^The Monad of Creation is one of the greatest funeral doom albums ever so thank you! Also digging the nods to Ahab, Crowbar and of course Heaven and Hell. I loved that album when it had just come out. A flawless listen, through and through.

The Angelic Process is not on the Archives (saw them in your honorables) and if they were, I'd have voted for them too.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:30 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
A Celebration Of Guilt; it definitely fits in with that club of bands. I also find it super reminiscent of Swedish melo-death as well - but better. Arsis did Gothenburg better than any of the Gothenburg bands!

Arsis is one of a number of bands I have in my cue to revisit since they seem to have a bit of a following here. I remember liking them back in the day, but they seemed in a weird spot for me at the time, not quite as melodic as my favorites, but not bonkers enough to touch some of the other tech death at the time. Quo Vadis rode that line better for me at that point.

Definitely worth a revisit! I do find that they tend to go back and forth between a GREAT record and a bit of a flop, but the only Arsis album I don't ever revisit is Starve For The Devil. A Celebration Of Guilt is the magnum opus, but We Are The Nightmare is great too, and from the reviews on this site, Unwelcome is criminally underrated (IMO their best since ACOG). United In Regret is solid too, just not as strong, and while I keep forgetting to check out Visitant I remember the stuff I was hearing being really damn good.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:49 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
1. Darkspace - Dark Space I
3. Darkspace - Darkspace III

No love for II?

Eh, no. I think it's their weakest. Not enough power for the tracks' durations. First song is cool, second is ten minutes of noise, and I can't even remember the last.

HeavenDuff wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
1. Darkspace - Dark Space I
3. Darkspace - Darkspace III

A lot of people are voting for Darkspace, and to be honest, I can't really remember them being that popular during the 2000's. Did you guys listen to Darkspace during the 00's, or did you pick their stuff up later? I personnally only found out about them rather recently, and that was through discovering Paysage d'hiver and looking at a French cover arts in metal documentary.

These two records are amazing though. I love the use of samples from movies and series on Darkspace III. The distress beacon from Sunshine, and the quotes from Twin Peaks and Event Horizon. I love it :)

For me it would've been around 2009 or so when I was still in highschool and grabbing all the free legal metal downloads I could find. One of those was the Dark Space -1 demo which I'm not sure is even around anymore for grabs (they rerecorded it I know but I'm talking about the original). They're just one of the bands that stuck with me the longest, especially after getting into Mysticum and other evil black metal bands that sound like Mysticum. I've seen a lot of people on this forum that say they prefer Paysage d'Hiver, but for me it's the opposite.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:03 am 

Goatfangs wrote:

I'm more about 11 Dreams, but it's good to see this album getting at least a bit of attention, they're coming dangerously close to being forgotten these days, but are easily one of my favorite bands.

Goatfangs wrote:
Dragonland - Astronomy

Underrated band/album there.

Goatfangs wrote:
Iniquity - Seranadium

Do you mean Grime? Serenadium is '96. Both killer albums though.

Goatfangs wrote:
Nightingale - Invisible
Nightingale - Nightfall Overture
Nightingale - White Darkness

I feel like I'm losing my mind, I could swear I'd searched for them before and they weren't listed here. I figured there were too far on the hard/progressive rock side for the mods here. But fuck, but if they're eligible, I'm gonna have to rethink this. Any of Invisible, Nightfall Overture, or Alive Again have a strong chance of making my list. They were arguably my favorite band for parts of the late 00s.

Goatfangs wrote:
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design

Holographic Universe is receiving a few votes, including from me, but it's nice to see those albums mentioned as well, since they're nearly as good.

Goatfangs wrote:
my top favorite album of any metalcore band (though, Undoing Ruin by Darkest Hour is a damn close second),

Undoing Ruin might actually be my favorite metalcore album. "Tranquil" especially is a masterpiece.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:15 pm 

Forgot about that Myrkgrav album! I'd honestly rate that over Windir's two albums from that decade - always vastly preferred the debut and Arntor, and that Myrkgrav album sounds like a continuation of that. Real good shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:17 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I feel like Laiho's death definitely impacted how COB was seen. I played Follow the Reaper again recently and not bashing it, but it wouldn't be close to a top 10 or even 20-30 of albums from this time. But they were unique, for sure.

Well, I mean, if I was as heavily into melodic death metal stuff as I was in my 20's, it would have landed somewhere in my top 10 for sure. I actually included Kalmah's Swampsong in my final top 10, but in the genre, FtR would pretty much be somewhere between my 2nd and 4th favorite (although I have not given this much thought). It truly is a solid album. But yeah, with how my tastes have changed throughout the last decade, FtR didn't earn a spot in my top 10, but it's a solid album nonetheless.

Yeah I mean I guess I was flippant about it in that last post. I just meant I didn't see much love for them for ages before he died. There were always fans but it felt like the board was not too into the band. For years it seemed like they were mostly a target of derision - possibly just due to their later albums' decline. But it seems the past few years have grown more of a base of fans of this stuff than we used to have.

I used to like FTR better than I do but eh, I can appreciate it for what it is anyway.

Re: Dragonland - yeah, their last three albums have had some great stuff. They seem to have fallen off the map completely. I guess some of the members have other projects or something.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:30 pm 

That's an awesome list Goatfangs. Everyone who put Agalloch's The Mantle on their list by the way, thanks for reminding me of that one, I just listened to it again the other day and I enjoyed it more than I ever have in the past. Nothing like what I typically listen to, but what a gorgeous piece of music that one is regardless. Looking forward to seeing the results, but just the recommendations I'm getting from reading the thread is my favorite part of the whole thing.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

I'm more about 11 Dreams, but it's good to see this album getting at least a bit of attention, they're coming dangerously close to being forgotten these days, but are easily one of my favorite bands.

Everblack just barely didn't make my list. 11 Dreams might have stronger highlights though, World Hate Center and Firesoul just fucking slay with their riffs.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
Dragonland - Astronomy

Underrated band/album there.

So much buzz in the mid 2000's and then seemingly all but forgotten, I guess due to general band inactivity. Starfall is the one I gravitated towards, Astronomy was cool and ambitious though. On a similar note, remember when people couldn't stop talking about Cage's Darker Than Black in 2003? Is that one even on anyone's honorable mentions now?

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
my top favorite album of any metalcore band (though, Undoing Ruin by Darkest Hour is a damn close second),

Undoing Ruin might actually be my favorite metalcore album. "Tranquil" especially is a masterpiece.

AOJB was 10-20 for me, top three metalcore definitely. Undoing Ruin is right up there in the top ten though, definitely agree with the majority opinion of that one being their strongest. Also, what the fuck is "District Divided" doing in the movie The Big Short? :lol: They were doing a tenth anniversary tour of that album around that time too, goes to show that one stuck in people's memory.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:59 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Goatfangs wrote:
Iniquity - Seranadium

Do you mean Grime? Serenadium is '96. Both killer albums though.

Whoops. Well, as awesome as Seranadium is, it doesn't belong on my honorable mentions for 2000-2009 :P

The list was difficult to narrow down to just 10 because of the large number of honorable mentions. In fact, even last minute I had shuffled things a bit. Dragonland originally occupied the 10th spot.

Each of the albums on my top 10 are those that I never tire of listening to, there aren't any portions that I skip if I am listening to an album through, the emotional and memory associations are strong (this is why AOJB beats out Undoing Ruin, because it was one of the albums I was listening to on a trip to Europe in 2006.) and I generally enjoy it as much now (if not more) as I did when I first heard it.

There are two honorable mentions that are not on the archives, but if I felt like including more it might be AqME's Sombres Efforts and Bile's Demonic Electronic. They are metal-adjacent, and those two albums are what got me into metal full-time back in 2004/2005. No chance of either of them being in my top 10 though.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:29 pm 

This was a lot harder to put together than I thought. This decade was the decade I was introduced to metal and more generally music as something beyond just being something that my parents would put on when we went for drives or something to have while cleaning the house. I was super into nu metal around 2000 and slowly started to get into, for lack of a better term, “true” metal as the years went on. Nu metal lead to metalcore, which lead to death metal and black metal and I mostly skipped over the more traditional styles of metal.

So here's my list, 1 album per artist because that was more interesting:

1. Nile – Annihilation of the Wicked (2005)
2. Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002)
3. Opeth – Ghost Reveries (2005)
4. Strapping Young Lad – Alien (2005)
5. Cannibal Corpse – Kill (2006)
6. Behemoth – Demigod (2004)
7. Amon Amarth – With Oden on Our Side (2006)
8. 1349 – Hellfire (2005)
9. Cryptopsy – Once Was Not (2005)
10. Primordial – To The Nameless Dead (2007)

Honorable Mentions (any of these could have taken the last 3 spots, it's that close)
Spoiler: show
Agalloch – The Mantle
Akercocke – Words that Go Unspoken, Deeds that Go Undone
Alcest – Souvenirs d'un autre monde
The Black Dahlia Murder – Nocturnal
Blind Guardian – A Night at the Opera
Bloodbath – The Fathomless Mastery
Childern of Bodom – Hate Crew Deathroll
Cradle of Filth – Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder
Cynic – Traced in Air
Dark Tranquillity – Fiction
Devin Townsend – Addicted
Dimmu Borgir – Deathcult Armageddon
Enslaved – Below the Lights
Hypocrisy – Virus
Immolation – Close to a World Below
Katatonia – The Great Cold Distance
Kamelot – The Black Halo
Marduk – Rom 5:12
Martyr- Feeding the Abcess
Meshuggah – Nothing
My Dying Bride – Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
Necrophagist – Epitaph
Neuraxis – The Thin Line Between
Nightwish – Dark Passion Play
Obscura – Cosmogenesis
Septicflesh – Communion
Sonata Arcitca – Winterheart's Guild
Swallow the Sun – New Moon
Symphony X – The Odyssey
Within Temptation – Mother Earth

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:43 pm 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
Dream Theater – Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

I know Dark tranquillity has been talked about a little, but here's another DT that's really going to suffer from vote split here, I think.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:

Oh hell yeah, glad someone voted for this one - it was in my honourable mentions and is my favourite Cryptopsy album!

Also you've got some absolute bangers in your list and honourable mentions too!

~Guest 318854
Rare Earth Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:29 pm 

My top 9:
1) Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust (2006)
2) Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum (2007)
3) Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell (2005)
4) Swallow the Sun - New Moon (2009)
5) Isis - Wavering Radiant (2009)
6) Callisto - True Nature Unfolds (2004)
7) Septicflesh - Communion (2008)
8) Anorexia Nervosa - New Obscurantis Order (2001)
9) Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire (2009)

Honorable Mention:
Watain - Sworn to the Dark (2007)
Unholy Matrimony - Croire, décroître (2009)
Behemoth - Thelema 6 (2000)
Merrimack - Grey Rigorism (2009)

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:59 pm 

Velmu wrote:
8. Leviathan - Massive Conspiracy Against All Life (2008)

Great list. Glad to see "Massive Conspiracy..." get some love. In terms of MA review averages, I think this is one of the most criminally underscored albums on the site. Wrest wears the Deathspell and Blut Aus Nord influences on his sleeve with this album, but there's still a ton of unique Leviathan twists and interpretations on that general sound. The album is so fucking good. Also, one of the best album names ever.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:18 pm 

It is interesting that Septicflesh are getting a lot of mentions for both Communion and Sumerian Daemons. They are gong to have a lot of split votes like "Nile" and "Behemoth" with a number of different mentions of at least two albums.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Hopefully my comment didn't come across as some sort of passive aggressive barb either. Was just putting in my two cents to say it didn't have any sway for me. All good :thumbsup:

No, I didn't take it as such :)

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Yeah, it was a pretty random hodge-podge of jumping from band to band. I found Black Sabbath and Slipknot around the same time fairly early on, but didn't really delve into Priest and Maiden until a few years later after I'd already been slowly wading deeper into extreme metal, so it was kind of a step backwards. Lots of sporadic filling in the gaps since then, like not having properly listened to Budgie until last year, and non-Rising albums from Rainbow until just this year. I'm still not positive I've listened to a full Motorhead album (though I know well enough who they are and have heard individual songs), and I'm sure there are other examples. But then I've heard acres of obscure 90s-00s bands, so we all have different entry points and exploration strategies. I heard a song or two from Finntroll randomly, but I've made little systematic attempt to familiarize myself with folk metal, just whenever something pops onto my radar by happenstance.

As a teenager I would sometime discriminate, inconsistently mind you, some bands based on how popular they were and with whom. For some reason I didn't ming the huge popularity of Iron Maiden or Megadeth, but I always kind of avoided bands like Black Sabbath or Metallica because normies and dads liked them. I assumed Sabbath were basically playing stuff similar to Iron Man on all their albums, so I ignored them until I was a young adult.

I mainly stuck with what teenage and yound adult metalheads liked at the time. So more abbrasive stuff with harsh vocals, but that was still melodic and had a more polished production. I also really liked some power metal like Sonata Arctica and Edguy.

I eventually branched out, got into Ulver, Agalloch, Symphony X and started digging more and more into death metal with Cryptopsy, Benigthed and Decapitated. But in the early 2000's melodeath, power metal and symphonic stuff was my bread and butter.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:52 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
For me it would've been around 2009 or so when I was still in highschool and grabbing all the free legal metal downloads I could find. One of those was the Dark Space -1 demo which I'm not sure is even around anymore for grabs (they rerecorded it I know but I'm talking about the original). They're just one of the bands that stuck with me the longest, especially after getting into Mysticum and other evil black metal bands that sound like Mysticum. I've seen a lot of people on this forum that say they prefer Paysage d'Hiver, but for me it's the opposite.

Eh, well, Paysage d'Hiver and Darkspace are very similar though. One is Wintherr going "I wonder how black metal would sound in the coldest place on Earth", and the other one if Wintherr going "I wonder how black metal would sound in space". Whether you like one better than the other probably depends on if you like winter better or space better :P

LordOfTheGallows wrote:

Nice death metal picks. Annihilation of the Wicked just barely didn't make my top 10, but it could have easily been 8th, 9th or 10th. Kill is also a very solid album. The beginning of what I'd consider "modern era" Cannibal Corpse. Solid pick. Once Was Not is the Alien 3 of Cryptopsy's discography for me. I'd like to like it more, but it's just not working all that much for me. It's good, but, IMHO, it just isn't as good as Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile.

ThStealthK wrote:
My top 9:
1) Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust (2006)

I'm very happy to see this album getting some love! It didn't make my top 10, but it's a solid and very unique album. It features such a unique mix of symphonic elements with atmospheric black metal and progressive death. Vladimir Cochet truly is an unsung hero. Durig the 2000's, the guy was all over the place, releasing amazing album upon amazing album under tons of different projects and taking care of all instruments and basically producing, mixing and mastering most (if not all?) of his stuff.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:55 pm 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:

Another one I forgot about. I'm not sure it would make the top 10, but it would have been really close. I have spent many hours with that hellish black metal album. To me it's the about the most brutal the genre can get without going over the top.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:52 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
2. Leviathan - "The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide" (2003)
8. Wolves in the Throne Room - "Black Cascade" (2009)

Great list. Just curious, what made you go Black Cascade over Two Hunters? I don't see too many people putting that above other Wittr albums.

Also, with the "tenth sub level..." on your list and "howl mockery.." in your honorable mentions, how do you feel in general about "Tentacles of whorror"? I'm the only one I've seen to put that particular Leviathan album in my final list but I've seen "tenth sub level..." mentioned a number of times. "Tentacles..." is one of my favorite black metal albums of all time but "tenth sub level..." seems to get a lot more love and I've always wondered why?

Not knocking those two selections at all, genuinely wondering...

Yes, I think I am in the very small minority that enjoys "Black Cascade" the most. I don't know if I could pinpoint why I like it more than "Two Hunters". Though it might be as simple as it was the first album of theirs that released after I discovered them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for "Tentacles of Whorror", oh yeah, that is a great album too! Leviathan is probably an all-time top 5 artist for me, so that album is definitely right up my alley (even if I would also put it behind "Massive Conspiracy Against All Life" -- but I mean, tough competition). That said, I've always felt like "Tentacles..." had a pretty great reputation among Leviathan fans (though I'll agree that "The Tenth..." is generally considered tops); I always got the impression that it was most people's 2nd (and small few's #1). I have no idea what that opinion is based on though, haha.

Unrelated, I love seeing all of the Myrkgrav love! I actually discovered the album while running a not-so-popular folk metal poll on here a very long time ago. It kept on popping up on people's list, and I had never even heard of the band. I was not disappointed when I finally grabbed a copy.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:28 am 

motorsport wrote:
LordOfTheGallows wrote:

I know Dark tranquillity has been talked about a little, but here's another DT that's really going to suffer from vote split here, I think.

I have a feeling Train of Thought will poll higher though I prefer Six Degrees myself...

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:26 am 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
LordOfTheGallows wrote:

Oh hell yeah, glad someone voted for this one - it was in my honourable mentions and is my favourite Cryptopsy album!

I really feel like they had a fire lit under their ass with Lord Worms return and Jon Levasseurs departure, Alex Auburn turned out by far his best stuff with them (shame how much The Unspoken King blew) and I think it's Flo's most impressive drumming on any of their albums, he's absolutely insane! And Angelskingarden, what a fucking song that is!

And thanks! That's what made this so damn hard haha! Too many excellent albums to choose from and I'm glad I went 1 per artist or my list would have just been half Dream Theater. I still feel like I'm missing a few from the honorable mentions but what can you do.

HeavenDuff wrote:

LordOfTheGallows wrote:

Nice death metal picks. Annihilation of the Wicked just barely didn't make my top 10, but it could have easily been 8th, 9th or 10th. Kill is also a very solid album. The beginning of what I'd consider "modern era" Cannibal Corpse. Solid pick. Once Was Not is the Alien 3 of Cryptopsy's discography for me. I'd like to like it more, but it's just not working all that much for me. It's good, but, IMHO, it just isn't as good as Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile.

Annihilation was actually the first death metal album I ever heard, hell of a jump going from Lamb of God and Slipknot to that haha. It still more than holds up today with Nile just edging out Cannibal Corpse as my favourite death metal band. Kill was fantastic, bought it from them during the Sounds of the Underground tour they were on and was lucky enough to meet Corpsegrinder while looking at their merch.

raumr wrote:
LordOfTheGallows wrote:

Another one I forgot about. I'm not sure it would make the top 10, but it would have been really close. I have spent many hours with that hellish black metal album. To me it's the about the most brutal the genre can get without going over the top.

Agreed, it's probably the best straightforward black metal album I've ever heard and 1349's peak in my opinion.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
motorsport wrote:
LordOfTheGallows wrote:

I have a feeling Train of Thought will poll higher though I prefer Six Degrees myself...

It was a hard call, choosing between these, I almost picked Octavarium honestly as it was the first album of theirs I bought and really opened my mind up to what was possible musically. I still remember listening to These Walls for the first time and recognizing the guitar tuning as being the same one that Korn used and then having my mind blown when it didn't just ride the intro riff and instead went into that keyboard melody. Life changing. Six Degrees wins out though because Blind Faith is my all time favourite song and the title suite is just 42 minutes of musical bliss.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 am 

Oh man I forgot about Timeless Miracle, that's some gourmet cheese if I've ever seen one.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:28 am 

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
LordOfTheGallows wrote:

I really feel like they had a fire lit under their ass with Lord Worms return and Jon Levasseurs departure, Alex Auburn turned out by far his best stuff with them (shame how much The Unspoken King blew) and I think it's Flo's most impressive drumming on any of their albums, he's absolutely insane! And Angelskingarden, what a fucking song that is!

Dude, that octopus beat in Adeste Infidelis? Fucking ridiculous! I remember seeing drum cam footage of that song and the whole comment section is talking about that beat and has no clue what the fuck he's doing. Like how the hell do you even come up with that?

Or that weird mechanical beeping riff in Carrionshrine? Like holy shit. Or In The Kingdom Where Everything Dies, The Sky Is Mortal - firstly, what a fucking song title. Secondly, what a killer opening track. Holy shit.

Also, The Pestilence That Walketh In Darkness - even if it is more tame for Cryptopsy and "the single", I freaking love that song and the lyrics especially. Can't believe this album gets all the flack it does!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:54 am 

Huh, I like Once Was Not well enough, but at the same time it's the definition of mixed bag. Carrionshine is incredible, Angelskingarden and In the Kingdom... are great, and then much of the rest is filler. The drumming and instrumentation in general is stunning, of course, but the songwriting isn't always there. Plus Lord Worm sounds infinitely less beastly/inhuman than on the first two albums. Add all that to the dry, lifeless production, and you end up with a comeback album that only reaches about halfway. I dig parts of it, but no part of it is in the same universe - let alone ballpark - as None So Vile.

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:14 pm 

I get why people wouldn't like Once Was Not, it's about as weird as a death metal album can get without crossing over into avant-garde territory, that weird jazz intro to Keeping the Cadaver Dogs Busy (another great song title!) for example, and I could see disappointment in Lord Worm not sounding as animalistic as on None So Vile especially. But it all just works for me, the production gives it this dirty, grimy feel that I can't get enough of.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:21 pm 

Frankly, "Once Was Not" is not at a level of Non So Vile but I do dig it still, it does have a kind of a charm of its own. My 3d fave Cryptopsy album after NSV and Whisper Supremacy.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:00 pm 

motorsport wrote:
LordOfTheGallows wrote:

And Devin Townsend. There's Deadsoul Tribe as well, who I guess aren't quite up this forum's alley. Or Daniel Tompkins, though his projects are too new and don't fit M-A's version of metal.

HeavenDuff wrote:
So more abbrasive stuff with harsh vocals, but that was still melodic and had a more polished production. I also really liked some power metal like Sonata Arctica and Edguy.

I eventually branched out, got into Ulver, Agalloch, Symphony X and started digging more and more into death metal with Cryptopsy, Benigthed and Decapitated. But in the early 2000's melodeath, power metal and symphonic stuff was my bread and butter.

Yeah, the only thing not a part of my listening diet at some point there is Benighted, I just didn't/haven't gotten around to them. That duality of abrasive and harsh mixed with melody and polish is still my sweet spot a decade or two later. A lot of people seemed to have gone all in on the ugliest DM and BM they can find, or stuck to the milder trad or USPM type stuff.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:05 pm 

I should give Deadsoul Tribe a more concentrated listen since I love Psychotic Waltz so much. They definitely sounded solid anyway.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:07 pm 

Yeah, they're one of those bands I've heard of forever but never really bothered with them. Not sure why, since I tend to like my prog to be dark and moody.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:07 pm 

Death Mantra wrote:
Yeah, they're one of those bands I've heard of forever but never really bothered with them. Not sure why, since I tend to like my prog to be dark and moody.

It sort of sounded like a slightly less distinct PW but I'm sure it could grow on me.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:31 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:

LordOfTheGallows wrote:

This is a fascinating comparison. The Alien franchise is my favorite film universe, and Alien 3 is rather underrated, and so much better than it has any right to be given its myriad production issues and manifold flaws. I prefer NSV myself, but have a lot of respect for OWN as well (what an acronym!), because it was one of a handful of albums that transitioned me into liking "normal" death metal rather than just the melodic and progressive varieties. AotW was another of the critical steps, and Kill I suppose helped as well, though I was pretty into the thick of it by then.

LordOfTheGallows wrote:
It was a hard call, choosing between these, I almost picked Octavarium honestly as it was the first album of theirs I bought and really opened my mind up to what was possible musically. I still remember listening to These Walls for the first time and recognizing the guitar tuning as being the same one that Korn used and then having my mind blown when it didn't just ride the intro riff and instead went into that keyboard melody.

I guess I'm still a recovering jaded DT fan. I really should have something from them higher up on my lists given their historical importance and listening time. There was a huge anti-DT backlash that developed over the 00s, which I resisted and fought against for awhile, but was somewhat assimilated into at some point as JLB's vocals grated on me increasingly. That "These Walls" verse is one of my favorite DT moments though, with the interplay between Portnoy's hat and ride work, Petrucci's ethereal arpeggios and Rudess' semi-contrapuntal lines.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:36 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Oh man I forgot about Timeless Miracle, that's some gourmet cheese if I've ever seen one.

I didn't forget. ;3

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Solid pick. Once Was Not is the Alien 3 of Cryptopsy's discography for me. I'd like to like it more, but it's just not working all that much for me. It's good, but, IMHO, it just isn't as good as Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile.

This is a fascinating comparison. The Alien franchise is my favorite film universe, and Alien 3 is rather underrated, and so much better than it has any right to be given its myriad production issues and manifold flaws. I prefer NSV myself, but have a lot of respect for OWN as well (what an acronym!), because it was one of a handful of albums that transitioned me into liking "normal" death metal rather than just the melodic and progressive varieties. AotW was another of the critical steps, and Kill I suppose helped as well, though I was pretty into the thick of it by then.

Yes, like you said, Alien 3 turned out pretty great considering how much of a mess it was to produce, but it's an uneven movie. I love the atmosphere, the setting and themes, but the final product is a little underwhelming. It kind of loses breath at some point, and it doesn't seem to know where it's going. I also hate that Finch killed Newt and Hicks right at the beginning of the movie. It cheapens the climax of the previous movie and immediatly makes you feel disapointed and cheated right at the beginning of the movie.

Anyway, where I think my comparison stands is that there are a lot of amazing ideas, riffs, experimentations and truly solid moments on Once Was Not, but it seems to lose breath on occasions, regardless of how solid the solo of Adeste Infidelis is, or how solid of a track is Angelskingarden. So yeah, I love Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile, juste like I love Alien and Aliens, but Once Was Not feels a little like Alien 3. It has good moments, good ideas, a nice atmosphere and truly memorable moments, but as a whole, it's just not as good, IMHO, as the first and second albums/movies. Just my two cents though. I can totally understand why someone would put it in their top 10 of the decade. It's a good album.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:20 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I should give Deadsoul Tribe a more concentrated listen since I love Psychotic Waltz so much. They definitely sounded solid anyway.

I have all their albums. Some of it borders on alt. Used to like them a fair bit because I am, like you, huge into Psychotic Waltz but in all honesty they're not that groundbreaking or anything. Devon Graves is still a stunning frontman, regardless.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next