Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:18 pm 

Ideally, whether a song is primarily fast or not; blastbeats should serve to elevate the intensity, aggression, power and heaviness of a song. Obviously many bands use blast beats almost exclusively, which many of us agree tends to detract from their effectiveness. For super fast songs I tend to prefer blasts over constant double bass since really fast double bass tends to bury the rhythm guitar in the mix.

I’ve heard most of the best extreme metal drummers: Roddy, Longstreth, Kolias etc so I have my favorite blast sections. I’m curious as to what others’ favorites are.

Thanks for your input.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:35 pm 

I like when they're incorporated sparingly into bands that don't normally employ them a lot, they can add a burst of intensity to ramp up sections of music. A few examples are 1:40 of Nightrage's "At the Ends of the Earth", 0:39 of Illdisposed's "Final Step", or 0:21 of Opeth's "The Lotus Eater" (even more intriguing there in that it's over clean vocals). And in general I prefer when they're mixed up with other kinds of beats so it's not monotonous. "Two Worlds Collide" from Sear Bliss, for example.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:09 pm 

I have the perfect example. Graveland's Sacrifice for Honour at around 4:25. The preceding section is a slow Bathory esque doomy riff, but then at 4:25 we get tremolo riffs and a few seconds of blast beats. That short section injects so much intensity to an otherwise slow song, it's like injecting Richard Wagner with a bit of Conan the Barbarian. The following sections build on that and the song is elevated to an epic viking metal classic.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:17 pm 

I fucking love Suffocation's "Abomination Reborn". That intro and beat at :13 is wicked, I think it's the tone of the kit.

77hjrttfred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:07 am 

I would nominate the blasting at the beginning of the song "Tempest Temper Enlil Enraged" by Melechesh, after the intro on the album Enki. They were done by Samuel Santiago who wasn't even credited on the CD.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:42 am 

One of my long-time favorites has to be the extended blasting section in Nile's "Masturbating the war god". You should know which one, or find it out now.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:53 am 

Blast beats to me are a really weird beast. With the right buildup they can create the most insanely adrenalinic sections of the whole metal genre, but when overdone or played way too fast they can turn into an almost static drone... which is can be great if that was your intention, but ineffective if your aim was to make people move.

My favorite sections on top of my head often include a stop - start buildup, like Borknagar's The Winterway (at 3.39) or Emperor's With Strenght I Burn in the second half (at 5.40) or take place during an intro, like SEW's blistering La Stirpe Divina, Ulver's Wolf and Man, the whole tremolo picking goodness that is Sacramentum's Far Away From the Sun, the already mentioned Tempest Temper Enlil... and million others

one example of the "misuse" that often pop to my mind is Vader's Come And See my Sacrifice riff at 1:30: the badass riff is calling for a very driving drum beat, but then the drummer goes for a blast beat that's way too fast, losing some of the effectiveness and the momentum created by the guitar.
When they play that riff again at 2.05, after that little buildup section and with a more straightforward drum beat behind it works much, much better for me and becomes one of my favorite parts of the whole record

Last edited by Morn Of Solace on Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:02 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Blast beats to me are a really weird beast. With the right buildup thay make for the most insanely adrenalinic sections of the whole metal genere, but when overdone of played way too fast they can turn into almost a static drone.. which is great if that's your intention and ineffective if your aim was to make people move

I think the two examples are the best extremes of what a blast beat can be. On the one hand the releasing of energy, or at times a burst of energy as a counterpoint to string work that does something radically different). In this case it can have that feeling of a release. And the other version is that of a droning sounds, which I also love. In this case I prefer the drums to even be lowered in the mix so that they drone even more.

I think the most boring way to use blast beats (or they way I appreciate less) is when it's all just fast drumming of different styles. Going from blast to grind to fast two-stroke etc. When it neither has the quality of the drone nor the quality of the release of energy.
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:15 am 

Dunno if I'm on the right track here, but on Gallows Hymn by Primordial there is this blast beat section after the line: "I'm a heathen, searching for his soul...." .. and it's sooo goddamn powerful..

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:22 am 

In general, my favorite metal songs with blastbeats are songs that have alternation between fast+harsh parts with blastbeats and softer parts with slow/mid tempo drumming (and especially this kind of song in black and black/doom metal genres).
I think the parts with blastbeats on the song "Capitel II: Soelen gaaer bag Aase need" by Ulver are one of my most favorites: they are quite intense and beautiful at the same time. <3

Rottir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:27 am 

Vengeful Spectre 33:39 album time

King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:43 am 

Vader's Litany has some seriously heavy blasts throughout it because the bass drums are so prominent in the mix; it's an absolute aural assault when one comes on, but they don't get boring because they're juxtaposed by slower and heavier sections. On the title track at about 0:56 is my favourite blast section on the album where the drummer alternates between blasts and snare rolls.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:07 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Vader's Litany has some seriously heavy blasts throughout it because the bass drums are so prominent in the mix; it's an absolute aural assault when one comes on, but they don't get boring because they're juxtaposed by slower and heavier sections. On the title track at about 0:56 is my favourite blast section on the album where the drummer alternates between blasts and snare rolls.

The drums on Litany are pummeling. Almost overpowering, I lose track of the snare at times under the relentless double bass attack. I do love it though.

As for cool moments one that pops into my head is when they go into the blasts in Inhumane Harvest for example around 1:00 into the song, though that bit is repeated a few times. Immediately jacks up the intensity.

Speed Metal Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:22 pm 

I've always thought the blasts in Nevermore's cover of "The Sound of Silence" were cool, if just because they were surprising and came out of nowhere.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:37 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
one example of the "misuse" that often pop to my mind is Vader's Come And See my Sacrifice riff at 1:30: the badass riff is calling for a very driving drum beat, but then the drummer goes for a blast beat that's way too fast, losing some of the effectiveness and the momentum created by the guitar.
When they play that riff again at 2.05, after that little buildup section and with a more straightforward drum beat behind it works much, much better for me and becomes one of my favorite parts of the whole record

That is an interesting example. Even being prepared for it, it was definitely a bit jarring. It does repeat the riff a few times both ways though, so maybe it would have worked out better if it saved the blast for the second time through it to take it up a notch rather than coming right out the gate with it.

Speed Metal Terror wrote:
I've always thought the blasts in Nevermore's cover of "The Sound of Silence" were cool, if just because they were surprising and came out of nowhere.

Where are you hearing blasts?

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:46 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Dunno if I'm on the right track here, but on Gallows Hymn by Primordial there is this blast beat section after the line: "I'm a heathen, searching for his soul...." .. and it's sooo goddamn powerful..

Great song but no blast beats in it.

Speed Metal Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:51 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Speed Metal Terror wrote:

Where are you hearing blasts?

Perhaps I'm remembering this wrong (it has been a while) but I could have sworn they had those little fast 'bursts' of blasting almost sounding like old Deicide runs.

[Update] Okay, just creative double bass and not technically blasting. My mistake.
The Chasm uses them pretty tastefully.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:21 pm 

How about Dave Lombardo's blasting in Supremist on Christ Illusion? Starts are 0:40.

Short but really was like "Whoa" when I head that. Sure I had heard plenty of blast beats before but didn't expect them there.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:47 pm 

I've always felt like one of my favorite blast sections was "Infecting The Crypts" by Suffocation, its actually far from the most impressive display of blasting i've ever heard but Idk they way it just fits that riff so perfectly, I cant get enough of it.

Even though I think Hate Eternal falls under the category of bands who abuse blasts alittle bit to much the begining of "Behold Judas" has some nice fills mixed with blasts that really start the song off with a bang.

Buried By Time and Dust cover by 1349, I hate the drum sound of this song, but the part towards the end where the blasting speeds up even more in quite impressive.

Disengage by Suicide Silence. For the most part this song bores me, but that opening riff coupled with the blasting always gets me moving, to bad the song slows down to more of a dud after that.

A divine proclamation of finishing the present existence by Last Days of Humanity. This song is ugly, just absolutely ugly, but the ugliness and intensity make this a great song for the gym.

Angel of Death cover by Carnifex. I absolutely love Slayer, but IMO the big ingredient Slayer was always missing was blast beats, in this case they add them in great, love how they put them in the solo.

Blast beats although can clearly be over done are probably my favorite cliche in extreme metal. These arent even close to all of the best ones out there but they were some that came to my head right off of the bat.

Lilac Seafoam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:57 pm 

Transilvanian Hunger is an example where "overuse" is perfect. Almost mimics four on the floor of techno.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:09 am 

Enslaved's "Wotan" is a stellar example too.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:36 am 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
I fucking love Suffocation's "Abomination Reborn". That intro and beat at :13 is wicked, I think it's the tone of the kit.

I totally agree with this one - also the clear production, which didn't reduce the brutality or threat at all, helped a lot and Mike Smith himself as a drummer.

NecroRAM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:05 pm 

The one in the ending riff of One Shot One Kill with the accented ride bell is really tasty. The whole song is a treasure trove of tasty riffs and drumming end to end.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:13 am 

Seconding the above adoration of "One Shot, One Kill." I think there's a big reason it's the most widely-adored song in their catalogue.

I unabashedly love the one measure of blasts during the verses for SOD's "Shenanigans." The entire song is a big hardcore-flavored drinking tune with a catchy as shit chorus, but that one section of each verse where Charlie blasts the fuck out of it and Billy's delivery matches the tempo just sets it apart from the rest of the album.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Reply to topic