Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1145
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm 
 

Black Earth wrote:
And may I just say, screw you, too. You idiot.

When you've untwisted your Maiden undies and finished blowing the band can ya tell 'Arry I love his work in the 80s.

Top
 Profile  
TheLoneForest
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:16 pm
Posts: 601
Location: Quebec
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:40 pm 
 

Slater922 wrote:
Sekrys wrote:
Spoony_Dinosaur wrote:
Anyone heard these snippets floating around?





Verdicts still out but I wanna hear the rest of it now.




It even says in the description that it is a song by Icon of Sin.

Well THAT was interesting.

To be fair, though, Icon of Sin does sound like a cool Maiden-worshipping band. Might wanna check out their other stuff.


Holy fuck that sounds exactly like Bruce. Unreal

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2359
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:45 pm 
 

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here yet, but I think the second single will be Stratego. On the Canadian Amazon there was a picture of the CD and it had a sticker saying that it features The Writing on the Wall and Stratego, so I presume they're going to release that one before the album comes out as well.

Unfortunately, it looks like the image has been taken down, but it might be floating around somewhere on the internet.
_________________
Check out my review webzine: Skull Fracturing Metal

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2199
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 pm 
 

Black Earth wrote:
You people are truly a bunch spoiled brats, aren't you? Are you listening to "The Book Of Souls...?" At all? Or are you just hearing in your corrupted and yearnful memories of the glory days of "Seventh" or "Powerslave?" If "Empire of The Clouds'" opening does not a bring a tear or two to your eyes, then you are not made of flesh, and most importantly, you are not giving yourself over to the music itself... To understand, maybe...? And not simply to merely expect... Hummm? If "The Great Unknown" does not make your wonder and seek the meaning existence, then, you are too young to understand that Maiden is still re-inventing themselves 20 years into the new millennium. Please listen, with both heart and mind. Iron Maiden still has so much to offer. Can you still be this creative, energized, and motivated to generate new ideas into your 60's? Maiden has expanded their song-writing length because they are capable of it and because they still have the competence for musical ideas. It is not bloated or obese. Perhaps the problem is attention span. Before criticism, please try to understand. :)


:wanker:

I've been listening to Maiden since the 80's and they have re-invented themselves into a band that bores the shit out of me for the most part. Long songs are fine if they are memorable and engaging. Then you have Empire of the Clouds a song that is at least 10 minutes too long and I can't recall a single guitar part from. But that applies to most of their other "epics" off the past two albums. If you like them cheerio and good for you. I find them tedious. Unfortunately their shorter material is largely mediocre as well. For me BoS is their second worst album.

Hopefully this album is amazing. My expectations are low so it should be easy to blow me away.

Top
 Profile  
King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:35 pm
Posts: 152
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:48 am 
 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Black Earth wrote:
You people are truly a bunch spoiled brats, aren't you? Are you listening to "The Book Of Souls...?" At all? Or are you just hearing in your corrupted and yearnful memories of the glory days of "Seventh" or "Powerslave?" If "Empire of The Clouds'" opening does not a bring a tear or two to your eyes, then you are not made of flesh, and most importantly, you are not giving yourself over to the music itself... To understand, maybe...? And not simply to merely expect... Hummm? If "The Great Unknown" does not make your wonder and seek the meaning existence, then, you are too young to understand that Maiden is still re-inventing themselves 20 years into the new millennium. Please listen, with both heart and mind. Iron Maiden still has so much to offer. Can you still be this creative, energized, and motivated to generate new ideas into your 60's? Maiden has expanded their song-writing length because they are capable of it and because they still have the competence for musical ideas. It is not bloated or obese. Perhaps the problem is attention span. Before criticism, please try to understand. :)


:wanker:

I've been listening to Maiden since the 80's and they have re-invented themselves into a band that bores the shit out of me for the most part. Long songs are fine if they are memorable and engaging. Then you have Empire of the Clouds a song that is at least 10 minutes too long and I can't recall a single guitar part from. But that applies to most of their other "epics" off the past two albums. If you like them cheerio and good for you. I find them tedious. Unfortunately their shorter material is largely mediocre as well. For me BoS is their second worst album.


Just about every long post-2000 Maiden song can be boiled down to this formula:
-Suspenseful buildup at the beginning, Bruce sings softly over it
-Song finally kicks into high gear after 2-3 minutes
-Repeat verse-chorus a few times
-Insert extended solo section and a bridge
-Go back to verse-chorus
-End after >8 minutes with a soft section (or just don't bother)

At least they tried to vary it a bit with the longer tracks on The Book of Souls, but what resulted was even more bloat. Hopefully Senjutsu changes up the stale formula but without meandering too much.

Top
 Profile  
Xymosys
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:19 am
Posts: 706
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:34 am 
 

That Writing on the Wall chorus is the most unimaginative and lazy chorus they ever done, ffs!
_________________
No fear, no pain, nobody left to blame...I'll try alone, make destiny my own

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 2089
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 am 
 

Empire of the Clouds is overall not a bad song but it is indeed bloated. There is a section where the guitar riff just repeats way too long without any singing or leads over it. I thought this song was supposedly written only by Bruce? Why would the singer include that dull instrumental section and not put some vocals over it where it could definitely use some, if he didn't want to cut it shorter?

Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 233
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:43 am 
 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Empire of the Clouds is overall not a bad song but it is indeed bloated. There is a section where the guitar riff just repeats way too long without any singing or leads over it. I thought this song was supposedly written only by Bruce? Why would the singer include that dull instrumental section and not put some vocals over it where it could definitely use some, if he didn't want to cut it shorter?

It's a theatrical song and that instrumental section you mentioned represents the time that the blimp is flying before the danger. I think it is a great song, regardless of how long it is.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30239
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:46 am 
 

I mean "Empire of the Clouds" is very long for sure, but that's kind of why it's special. I don't think it'd work if they cut any of it. The instrumental part gives the song a lot of space and breadth to achieve what it's trying to do. Just one of those 'one of a kind' tunes. I think it works.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Pig
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website


Last edited by Empyreal on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 2089
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:47 am 
 

oldmetalhead wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Empire of the Clouds is overall not a bad song but it is indeed bloated. There is a section where the guitar riff just repeats way too long without any singing or leads over it. I thought this song was supposedly written only by Bruce? Why would the singer include that dull instrumental section and not put some vocals over it where it could definitely use some, if he didn't want to cut it shorter?

It's a theatrical song and that instrumental section you mentioned represents the time that the blimp is flying before the danger. I think it is a great song, regardless of how long it is.


I'll have to listen to it again to see if there's any significant change in dynamics during that section, because if that much repetition of that one riff is deemed necessary, then the same kind of build up in dynamics Deep Purple achieved with the main riff to Child In Time would be a model of what that section needs.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2199
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:02 pm 
 

When I caught the BoS tour I figured those bloated cuts off the album would give me a chance to slip out to the pisser. Problem was half the amphitheater had the same idea. But I will give Maiden props, they believe in their new material and play it.

Top
 Profile  
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am
Posts: 8606
Location: Yorkshire
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:10 pm 
 

King_of_Arnor wrote:

At least they tried to vary it a bit with the longer tracks on The Book of Souls, but what resulted was even more bloat. Hopefully Senjutsu changes up the stale formula but without meandering too much.


I think that's really wishful thinking at this point. No Maiden album is without redeeming values, but the band seriously need a producer with a bit more input, Harris' excesses being reigned in massively (3 Harris penned "epics" to close this album doesn't bode well, at all, though). I revisited some post-reunion Maiden this week (hey, I'm on post-travel isolation... I fancied something plain :P) and while Bruce still pulls his weight and Smith still comes up with some cool stuff it's just clear that Harris is stuck in way too much of a rut. Others have said this, but some of the stuff they've done of late is painfully formulaic. I liked the new song, too, but I can tell that the album is going to be another victim of doleful, Harris-stodge.

While I don't think they need to "go back to the 80s", they'd do well to enlist, say, Andy Sneap and Roy Z for production and input (Z for the sonics, Sneap for direction/editing).

I dunno, maybe Bruce should just pinch Smith and do another "solo" album.
_________________
Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash


https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1614
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:24 pm 
 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
When I caught the BoS tour I figured those bloated cuts off the album would give me a chance to slip out to the pisser. Problem was half the amphitheater had the same idea. But I will give Maiden props, they believe in their new material and play it.


It always struck me as funny that millions purchase their new albums but don't like the songs enough to wanna hear them live? You always expect bands like say, Dream Theater and Megadeth to play new material on stage when they release it and it receives a warmer reception than Maiden ever does. Heck, even Priest's Firepower goes over well live, I'd bet.
_________________
Gas_Snake wrote:
....my attention span is not your guinea pig. If even one of your songs exceeds 10 minutes, you're either a fucking genius or you need to self-edit that shit.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30239
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:26 pm 
 

I saw them in 2017 and it was a great blend of the raucous, wall-shattering energy of the classic tunes and the newer ones which came off as more controlled, theatrical endeavors. It was a good mix.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Pig
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 2199
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:30 pm 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
When I caught the BoS tour I figured those bloated cuts off the album would give me a chance to slip out to the pisser. Problem was half the amphitheater had the same idea. But I will give Maiden props, they believe in their new material and play it.


It always struck me as funny that millions purchase their new albums but don't like the songs enough to wanna hear them live? You always expect bands like say, Dream Theater and Megadeth to play new material on stage when they release it and it receives a warmer reception than Maiden ever does. Heck, even Priest's Firepower goes over well live, I'd bet.


Priest's Firepower is closer in tone to classic Priest than modern Maiden though.

Almost every old metalhead I know, and I'm closing in on 50 so most are fans starting when we were kids in the 80's, was stunned when they went to the "album tours" and heard they play 6 new songs or so, that were mostly 7+ minutes long. I would tell them Maiden does nostalgia tours like the Maiden England tour they did, but they when they are supporting a new album they play the shit. Its not like some old bands that still put out new material but are lucky to play a song off the news stuff when they tour. I don't mind per see but when the songs are all very long it does make me think if I want to go to the show. Then I tell myself "Its fucking Iron Maiden!" and I buy a ticket.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2898
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:02 pm 
 

I saw them play most of The Book of Souls live and it was honestly pretty cool. I'm not even a big The Book of Souls fan, they are just a good live band and it made the album really fun to hear. Also considerably less long, they skipped most of the filler.

Top
 Profile  
King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:35 pm
Posts: 152
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:42 am 
 

New video about the making of the album.


Top
 Profile  
Lagartija
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 1201
Location: Spain
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:02 pm 
 

Thanks for the video. It was kind of the opposite of what I wanted to hear though: "nothing was wasted, we used everything we had"... I think what they needed was to tighten up their quality control and trim loads of runtime off their records, but another triple vinyl...

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Veteran

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: PDX
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:04 pm 
 

Holy shit, dude is using Rokit monitors in his studio. Those are widely considered the cheapest/muddiest amateur mixing monitors around. I was in the market a few months ago and everyone and their mom is selling them used for like $50 because they're so bad. No wonder the new track sounds like crap.

And yeah, just those few sentences give a ton of insight into why their albums are so bloated and boring. "We use everything... we show up and have no idea what we're gonna do."

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30239
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:49 pm 
 

I've been listening to a shitload of all of their stuff lately and it's wild to me that Brave New World got #5 in that '00s poll, but a lot of users here openly deride the repetition and length of their newer albums - to me BNW has the most repetitive writing of anything they did since Bruce returned. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it just has that quality in general. Guess it comes down to the preferences of those who post a lot.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Pig
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Posts: 666
Location: Asheville area, NC, US
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:42 pm 
 

Black Earth wrote:
You people are truly a bunch spoiled brats, aren't you? Are you listening to "The Book Of Souls...?" At all? Or are you just hearing in your corrupted and yearnful memories of the glory days of "Seventh" or "Powerslave?" If "Empire of The Clouds'" opening does not a bring a tear or two to your eyes, then you are not made of flesh, and most importantly, you are not giving yourself over to the music itself... To understand, maybe...? And not simply to merely expect... Hummm? If "The Great Unknown" does not make your wonder and seek the meaning existence, then, you are too young to understand that Maiden is still re-inventing themselves 20 years into the new millennium. Please listen, with both heart and mind. Iron Maiden still has so much to offer. Can you still be this creative, energized, and motivated to generate new ideas into your 60's? Maiden has expanded their song-writing length because they are capable of it and because they still have the competence for musical ideas. It is not bloated or obese. Perhaps the problem is attention span. Before criticism, please try to understand. :)

I can't tell if this is satire/sarcasm or not. I'm leaning towards thinking it is.
_________________
Svarthavid wrote:
Saying that Bolt Thrower suck is like saying the guys at capital hill did nothing wrong, they only protected America.

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 930
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:41 pm 
 

Black Earth wrote:
You people are truly a bunch spoiled brats, aren't you? Are you listening to "The Book Of Souls...?" At all? Or are you just hearing in your corrupted and yearnful memories of the glory days of "Seventh" or "Powerslave?" If "Empire of The Clouds'" opening does not a bring a tear or two to your eyes, then you are not made of flesh, and most importantly, you are not giving yourself over to the music itself... To understand, maybe...? And not simply to merely expect... Hummm? If "The Great Unknown" does not make your wonder and seek the meaning existence, then, you are too young to understand that Maiden is still re-inventing themselves 20 years into the new millennium. Please listen, with both heart and mind. Iron Maiden still has so much to offer. Can you still be this creative, energized, and motivated to generate new ideas into your 60's? Maiden has expanded their song-writing length because they are capable of it and because they still have the competence for musical ideas. It is not bloated or obese. Perhaps the problem is attention span. Before criticism, please try to understand. :)

Tell me you're blind to Iron Maiden's recent decline in music quality without telling me.
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Poisonfume
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm
Posts: 1213
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:36 pm 
 

Lagartija wrote:
It was kind of the opposite of what I wanted to hear though


Tell me about it...

-nothing was wasted, little impromptu accidents where appropriate ended up on the record
-we never know what we're gonna do, no preconceived idea
-the process has been quite quick
-it's more complex than book of souls
-expect genuine surprises, 1 or 2 songs where people wonder if they're listening to Iron Maiden

Oh well. It's not like they were all of a sudden going to tighten their songs, bring back the galloping energy, fix their weak ass guitar sound and basically recapture their 80s glory. Modern Maiden is here to stay.

I like almost all of modern Maiden, I really do. Especially after repeat listens, it grows on me. But I often wonder whether I would care to listen to any of it at all if it wasn't by Iron Maiden. I almost certainly wouldn't have made it to the end of Writing on the Wall. The Book of Souls felt most enjoyable to me as background music while I concerned myself with some other activity. There still is brilliance and talent in these musicians, but it's well hidden under unremarkable, overindulgent songs.
_________________
I pray for total death

Top
 Profile  
MetalVermont
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm
Posts: 96
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:44 pm 
 

I wonder if Steve tells that asshat Shirley to turn the rhythm guitar down? I mean, for a heavy metal band their songs are VERY rarely heavy.

Top
 Profile  
SculptedCold
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:26 am
Posts: 576
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:09 am 
 

Poisonfume wrote:
I like almost all of modern Maiden, I really do. Especially after repeat listens, it grows on me. But I often wonder whether I would care to listen to any of it at all if it wasn't by Iron Maiden. I almost certainly wouldn't have made it to the end of Writing on the Wall. The Book of Souls felt most enjoyable to me as background music while I concerned myself with some other activity. There still is brilliance and talent in these musicians, but it's well hidden under unremarkable, overindulgent songs.


Well written, I couldn't describe how I feel about em better than that.

Exception being I really don't like Book of Souls much outside the opener. Some good moments but just.. bloooaaat. I love Maiden enough to not mind the repetitiveness when they nail the vocal hook, or riff, or whatever. But Book was just beyond, and I wasn't a fan of a lot of the riffs. A lot of the lyrics. I think Empire of the Clouds is a shitty mess of great ideas, badly played to my ears. I kinda hate it. The album sounds lazy as hell.

Maybe they were beat to hell for that interview (in fact they look like they were), but their seeming lack of enthusiasm doesn't bode well to me. Nevermind the massive song lengths again.

My only hope is the brief, beaming, cheeky smile Bruce cracks when he says parts of it might make fans wonder if they're listening to IM at all. I really hope that means the sound of something/s on the record will surprise us. :)

Top
 Profile  
Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:08 am
Posts: 1194
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:25 am 
 

narsilianshard wrote:
Holy shit, dude is using Rokit monitors in his studio. Those are widely considered the cheapest/muddiest amateur mixing monitors around. I was in the market a few months ago and everyone and their mom is selling them used for like $50 because they're so bad. No wonder the new track sounds like crap.

If you look again; he also has several other monitors!

You realize that studios at this level has a whole bunch of different speakers to double and triple check their mixes right?

There's a purpose to having "bad" speakers to check mixes with.
! I doubt the Rokit are the main monitors.

Top
 Profile  
Dandelo
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:08 am
Posts: 1061
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:39 am 
 

Book of Souls is a mess tbh. You can tell they recorded several performances of the songs and then pieced them all together like Frankenstein's monster. The tempo in some songs is all over the place.

My hope is that the touring cycle has them whipped them into shape (especially Nicko who clearly needs to play to a clicktrack now). I have some hope for this one.

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2359
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:37 am 
 

I feel like people are reading way too much into that video. It's a promo video - they're trying to get people hyped. What they say doesn't have a lot of bearing on how it's going to sound. It's going to sound pretty much the same as TBOS.
_________________
Check out my review webzine: Skull Fracturing Metal

Top
 Profile  
hallowed78
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:53 am
Posts: 358
Location: LV-426
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:57 am 
 

It's also a 2 year old video, so who knows what went down to the actual release date of the album.

Top
 Profile  
Sestren
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:23 pm
Posts: 159
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:07 pm 
 

Here's a track by track review I found:

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-senjut ... de-review/

Not sure what to make of it based on that site.

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2359
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:38 pm 
 

That's a good read - thanks for posting it!

To me it sounds like the long songs are exactly what people might expect from modern Maiden, and the remaining songs are more of a mixed bag and have a bit of experimentation. Overall, I'm expecting it to be quite similar to TBOS based on that review, with the big difference being the pacing.
_________________
Check out my review webzine: Skull Fracturing Metal

Top
 Profile  
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm
Posts: 1145
Location: Lost in Necropolis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:04 pm 
 

Sestren wrote:
Here's a track by track review I found:

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-senjut ... de-review/

Not sure what to make of it based on that site.

A bucket of salt is required for this "review" from a self confessed megafan.

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Veteran

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: PDX
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:07 pm 
 

Dandelo wrote:
You can tell they recorded several performances of the songs and then pieced them all together like Frankenstein's monster.

Piecing together separate performances is the literal definition of tracking. This is how 99% of all recordings are done.

Top
 Profile  
SculptedCold
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:26 am
Posts: 576
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:34 pm 
 

Spiner202 wrote:
It's a promo video - they're trying to get people hyped.


They failed. They didn't even seem interested in trying to describe their own record.

Spiner202 wrote:
What they say doesn't have a lot of bearing on how it's going to sound.


Of course. We know the PR spiel. The what. The how of how they said it all though was discouraging. The interview was probably at the end of a long day, looks like it, so they were probably tired as hell, but still. It seemed like they had no idea what they even just recorded, and didn't care to remember.
I even got a crazy vibe that some of it could have been left to the producer or others to write for them. (Like I said, crazy.) Very "whatever, it's just another record of whatever, take it or leave it, stop asking us questions about the most boring part of our job: making music."

Spiner202 wrote:
It's going to sound pretty much the same as TBOS.


Of course it is. And that sucks.

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 2456
Location: The 9th Circle of Hollola
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:36 am 
 

Sestren wrote:
Here's a track by track review I found:

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-senjut ... de-review/

Not sure what to make of it based on that site.


"A quiet intro" description of the last three Harris songs was funny.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am
Posts: 1614
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:10 am 
 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Sestren wrote:
Here's a track by track review I found:

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-senjut ... de-review/

Not sure what to make of it based on that site.

A bucket of salt is required for this "review" from a self confessed megafan.


Pretty much my thoughts lol
_________________
Gas_Snake wrote:
....my attention span is not your guinea pig. If even one of your songs exceeds 10 minutes, you're either a fucking genius or you need to self-edit that shit.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Top
 Profile  
MatsBG
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:02 am
Posts: 117
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:38 am 
 

I have to confess that I'm really hyped for this release! The last few Maiden albums, I've always preferred the longer tracks ("Isle of Avalon", "Starblind", "The Talisman", "When the Wild Wind Blows", "The Red & the Black", "The Book of Souls", and "Empire of the Clouds"), so I'm really stoked for the longer ones on Senjutsu. That being said, The Writing on the Wall took a loooooong time to grow on me, but now, I think it's my favourite Maiden single since "Different World", or maybe even "Rainmaker" or "Wicker Man". That final solo is just amazing. And I feel that the singles Maiden have released the last 15 or so years are never the highlights of the album, and in some cases even some of the worst on the albums ("Wildest Dreams", "El Dorado", "Speed of Light").

What I'm hoping for is a bit more cohesive effort than The Book of Souls. Tracks like the afformentioned epics have such a different feel and sound than for example "The Man of Sorrows", "Death or Glory", and "Speed of Light". If the album goes for the atmosphere that "The Writing on the Wall" has, I can really dig it! But I 100% understand the criticism that Maiden gets, and I agree that there is no reason that Senjutsu should be a double album. Maiden has struggled with editing and taking in outside perspectives on their music for a while now, so I'm not expecting a 10/10 album, but perhaps a 7 or even 8 out of 10. I'm a fairly young fan as well (my first Maiden album was Brave New World, and the first one I bought on release day was The Final Frontier), so I have a very special relationship to modern Maiden compared to older fans that grew up with or first heard Maiden as they were in the 80s :-D

Top
 Profile  
King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:35 pm
Posts: 152
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:16 pm 
 

Yet another new video, this time with Adrian Smith.


Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30239
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:11 pm 
 



New single. Definitely interesting. Not sure if it gets going like their best songs have, but there's something kind of cool about the moody, serious vibes of it all, and I can dig the guitarwork.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Pig
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 233
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:19 pm 
 

I'm loving it, has a mix of post reunion Bruce Maiden and classic Maiden to it. Kind of sounds like Rainmaker and Flight of Icarus mashed up.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackdiamond74, ChildClownOutlet, Evil_Obsidian, Google [Bot], Kalaratri, MetallicaTrueFan, Seemannsdaemlack and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group