Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Schaffer has made himself a lightning rod of a focal point this year, but you've gotta be kidding yourself if you think it's solely guys like him. Just follow the black metal discussion here and many other places in recent years, everyone's trying to find which guy has a brother who had a roommate whose barber went to a festival which had a NSBM band on it at one point. Unquestionably actual neo-Nazis are execrable people, but there's a whole lot of guilt by association going around with everyone tuning in to find the hidden dog whistles.

Nah, this is an exaggeration. Most people only care if the band members don't have NS ideology and don't play NS festivals and/or play with NS bands. I don't think that's much to ask.

Of course it's an exaggeration. That doesn't mean there isn't some truth to it. But are you sure it isn't too much to ask? For example, both of us, and probably over half the forum likes Deathspell Omega, who has a quite sketchy vocalist who has been involved with numerous projects with NSBM and/or anti-Semitic content. Burzum, Mgla, Nokturnal Mortum, Destroyer 666, Primordial, Taake, arguably Slayer, and countless others can be considered various degrees of problematic, and yet are incredibly popular here. I don't think you can find a line to draw that everyone would agree on.

Doesn't this post contradict your previous assertion?

You are right - there are a ton of notable metal bands that for one reason or another can be considered 'problematic'. But if it was true that, in your words, "everyone's trying to find which guy has a brother who had a roommate whose barber went to a festival which had a NSBM band on it at one point," then these and many other bands would have found themselves well and truly cancelled by now.

Time and again the metal community has proven itself willing to look past some pretty despicable behaviour. TBH I suspect that if Iced Earth had just released the modern day equivalent of Rust In Peace then people wouldn't be so quick to throw dirt on Schaffer's grave. But the fact is that Iced Earth - who IMO were never all that great to begin with - are about 25 years past their prime and their leader aligned himself with a buffoon who unambiguously established himself as a racist, sexist, moronic dictator wannabe to the point where he participated in a violent (and ultimately deadly) attempt to overturn the results of a presidential election. Fuck him. Let him rot. This is not a case of political correctness gone mad.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:57 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Alan Averill said some silly boomer-ish stuff from time to time, but I never heard about anything more than that.

Yeah I've had my issues with him. I always thought he's too smart to fall for the alt-right crowd that might think he's dog-whistling to them. For a long time I ignored his podcast because I am not the target audience and never will be but I checked it out some time back and while he is very much some kind of reactionary, I wouldn't call him fascist.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

He's a pile of shit but at the same time, prison in general is just so fucking awful and should be changed.

The main reason this story is putting a smile on my face is that this kind of idiot is exactly the type of people who'll fight (and fight HARD) any kind of prison reform, and will brand people who want more humane prisons/jails and a rehabilitation-focused system as "defenders of criminals"... and now he's having his face eaten by the leopards he voted for.

Oh, and also the soy. These goddamn idiots and their fear of soy. And he's seemingly unaware that there is absolutely protein in tofu (which is soy-based).

What is it, that this type of people used to parrot?

Oh right: "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!"

But aside from the irony, yeah, the US prison system is just massively fucked up.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:07 am 

Empyreal wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

He's a pile of shit but at the same time, prison in general is just so fucking awful and should be changed.

Oh, I agree.

Any bets on how Ol' Joe Biggs felt about prison reform before getting tossed in?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:20 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

The main reason this story is putting a smile on my face is that this kind of idiot is exactly the type of people who'll fight (and fight HARD) any kind of prison reform, and will brand people who want more humane prisons/jails and a rehabilitation-focused system as "defenders of criminals"... and now he's having his face eaten by the leopards he voted for.

Oh, and also the soy. These goddamn idiots and their fear of soy. And he's seemingly unaware that there is absolutely protein in tofu (which is soy-based).

But aside from the irony, yeah, the US prison system is just massively fucked up.

You beat me with the prison reform comment.

Yea, I agree with everything being said about prisons being horrible and I don't wish pure hell for this guy, but at the same time I'm not feeling bad about his whinings about the conditions based off of fair/unfair assumptions I've made of him.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:25 am 

I'm very surprised at his claim he's not allowed to work out. I thought that, other than the ones in solitary, working out is basically all prisoners do except if they choose to educate themselves.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:44 am 

Yea, it sounds like he must be on some pretty strict lockdown.

Sounds like he's feeling pretty sorry for himself right now.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:52 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Definitely no sympathy for proud boy pieces of shit. And yes some of the comments like the "soy" thing and the other white supremacists testing him are kinda funny. The conditions in general are just awful though and it seems like we agree.

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:00 pm 

Supposedly, because of Schaffer's status, he couldn't be in the general population, which would be the gym or courtyards where they work out. Also, because of Covid, it seems all prisoners have been limited in what they can do.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:10 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Pray tell, how is Primordial problematic?

They're perhaps one of the milder ones, but they've done shows with other questionable bands like Gospel of the Horns and Destroyer 666, have connections with Graveland, and tend to come up in discussions of iffy bands at various places online, where assorted people find certain concepts, metaphors, and thanks in their lyrics, interviews, and liner notes concerning. I don't know if it's particularly convincing, but I find a lot of this overblown anyway.

Rodman wrote:
Doesn't this post contradict your previous assertion?

How so?

Rodman wrote:
You are right - there are a ton of notable metal bands that for one reason or another can be considered 'problematic'. But if it was true that, in your words, "everyone's trying to find which guy has a brother who had a roommate whose barber went to a festival which had a NSBM band on it at one point," then these and many other bands would have found themselves well and truly cancelled by now.

My point is that we collectively are very selective about what we find troubling, probably often in direct proportion to how much we like the artist in question. It's a human failing, and I'm sure I participate in it myself, but that doesn't meant we can't take note of it. GT and others seem to claim there are easy ways to determine whether to support an artist or not, and I'm contending it's really not that easy at all. There's been much more of a proclivity to go on witch hunts in recent years, and this tends to extend to artists who may not have done or said anything particularly questionable themselves, but have affiliations with others who have. I just think it tends to get out of hand.

Rodman wrote:
Time and again the metal community has proven itself willing to look past some pretty despicable behaviour. TBH I suspect that if Iced Earth had just released the modern day equivalent of Rust In Peace then people wouldn't be so quick to throw dirt on Schaffer's grave.

Exactly.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:25 pm 

It's never going to be a blanket thing and you'll be able to find shit on many artists depending on your point of view. Hell, Bruce Dickinson voted for Brexit and Metal Church even has some weird things against them (the lyrics of "The Final Word" and "Generation Nothing" really annoy me and Vanderhoof's attitude towards my generation is ridiculous boomer shit). But I still like both. Stuff's not carved in stone and life evolves and you find out new things. Nothing's perfect. I just draw a line when it comes to legit hate speech or real far right/crackpot views. That really sours me.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:12 pm 

Yeah not forgetting Phil Anselmo who made a whole speech back in the day.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:13 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Schaffer has made himself a lightning rod of a focal point this year, but you've gotta be kidding yourself if you think it's solely guys like him. Just follow the black metal discussion here and many other places in recent years, everyone's trying to find which guy has a brother who had a roommate whose barber went to a festival which had a NSBM band on it at one point. Unquestionably actual neo-Nazis are execrable people, but there's a whole lot of guilt by association going around with everyone tuning in to find the hidden dog whistles.

Nah, this is an exaggeration. Most people only care if the band members don't have NS ideology and don't play NS festivals and/or play with NS bands. I don't think that's much to ask.

Of course it's an exaggeration. That doesn't mean there isn't some truth to it. But are you sure it isn't too much to ask? For example, both of us, and probably over half the forum likes Deathspell Omega, who has a quite sketchy vocalist who has been involved with numerous projects with NSBM and/or anti-Semitic content. Burzum, Mgla, Nokturnal Mortum, Destroyer 666, Primordial, Taake, arguably Slayer, and countless others can be considered various degrees of problematic, and yet are incredibly popular here. I don't think you can find a line to draw that everyone would agree on.

Oh, I wasn't referring to my personal point of view, just stating what I've usually seen. "Cancel culture" is mostly alt-right mental gymnastics to try to disguise something that's been around since forever: doing things has consequences. Doing shitty things usually has worse consequences than doing good things.

I usually draw the line at bands lyrics, symbols and shows/festivals. I mean, the only reason I listen to DsO is because they've always distanced themselves from the NSBM scene except for that particular shithead of a collaborator they have. Same as MGLA or Nightbringer, they are fash but they usually don't involve themselves in this kind of stuff. The day any of them start playing Asgardsrei I'll be the first one to say "farewell, fuck you, I'm out".

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:15 pm 

…Craig Pillard seems to come to mind lately….

It’s funny how the right screams “cancel culture “when the right does their own form of cancel culture. Right now they’re in a Civil War with the neocons and the fash/nationalist/white supremacist side. And it’s kind of hilarious watching each one trying to cancel the other.

As for Schaefer. Fuck him. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Way to tank you music career pal; nobody in their right mind would want to work with him anymore.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:56 pm 

insanewayne253 wrote:
It’s funny how the right screams “cancel culture “when the right does their own form of cancel culture. Right now they’re in a Civil War with the neocons and the fash/nationalist/white supremacist side. And it’s kind of hilarious watching each one trying to cancel the other.

I don't like the term "cancel culture", though I do think they have a point, because there have been an increasing number of speakers banned, films, shows and episodes pulled and such in recent times. But yes, they're quite often hypocritical about it. They historically would just call their version a "boycott" or something else.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:52 pm 

I almost feel bad for the guy at this point. He fucked up badly by going to that protest and storming the capitol building but jesus, getting coated in human shit must be horrifying. I really hope I never do something stupid enough to put me up in-front of the piss firing squad.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:30 pm 

insanewayne253 wrote:
…Craig Pillard seems to come to mind lately….

As for Schaefer. Fuck him. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Way to tank you music career pal; nobody in their right mind would want to work with him anymore.

He'll be fine. As I've said before, they let the singer for ASILD back and he tried to murder his wife which is like 3x worse than what Schaffer did.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
He'll be fine. As I've said before, they let the singer for ASILD back and he tried to murder his wife which is like 3x worse than what Schaffer did.

Yeah, I don't like what he did, but the idea that he was an insurgent in on an organized coup is a bit much, you don't come with nothing but a can of bear spray if that's your intention and just scuffle around the lobby for a minute. Unless other evidence emerges or there's something I missed, I'm leaning towards him doing something idiotic in the heat of the moment.

I'm still morbidly curious to hear an interview out of Schaffer over this. Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention, but in interviews I read he always seemed more independent (albeit a bit too conspiracy-minded), maybe allying out of perceived necessity rather than desire, but being at marches and rallies sure makes the optics seem like he was all onboard.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:48 pm 

Hopefully they give him a guitar in prison, then he might learn a 2nd riff.

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:57 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Hopefully they give him a guitar in prison, then he might learn a 2nd riff.

Ouch! Most stinging comment yet. Even better since he won't be able to sell it if he did.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:00 pm 

Not as stinging as this statement by his lawyer:

Death threats, flying feces and unwelcome golden showers made prison ‘hell’ for Iced Earth’s Jon Schaffer, says lawyer

"Unwelcome" golden shows. Like maybe Jon Schaffer enjoys getting pissed on normally.

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:57 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Not as stinging as this statement by his lawyer:

Death threats, flying feces and unwelcome golden showers made prison ‘hell’ for Iced Earth’s Jon Schaffer, says lawyer

"Unwelcome" golden shows. Like maybe Jon Schaffer enjoys getting pissed on normally.

Yeah, the lawyer should have left that adjective out, lol. "Threaten me, throw shit on me but don't pee on me without my consent."

I'm sorry to even take jest in this, it's not my way but sometimes when karma comes around, it's ok to not empathize.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:41 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
ChildClownOutlet wrote:

Yeah, I don't like what he did, but the idea that he was an insurgent in on an organized coup is a bit much, you don't come with nothing but a can of bear spray if that's your intention and just scuffle around the lobby for a minute. Unless other evidence emerges or there's something I missed, I'm leaning towards him doing something idiotic in the heat of the moment.

I'm still morbidly curious to hear an interview out of Schaffer over this. Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention, but in interviews I read he always seemed more independent (albeit a bit too conspiracy-minded), maybe allying out of perceived necessity rather than desire, but being at marches and rallies sure makes the optics seem like he was all onboard.

Well he did have that project Sons of Liberty which gives you a good idea that he’s always been that much of a shitlord.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:08 am 

Jon liked to play the "I hate both parties" card in interviews. When Americans say something like that, it either means they're further left than anybody in the Democratic party or closet Republicans who know that conservative is a dirty word in a lot of circles. Considering how he had a lot of "love it or leave it" sentiments prior to his jump down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole, I highly doubt he was the former...

I still find it funny that Ripper claims to have the opposite political beliefs as Schaffer during his time in the band. Even by mid-2000s standards when middle America was still largely ignoring social issues, I'm still not sure what that would even entail.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:23 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
insanewayne253 wrote:

I don't like the term "cancel culture", though I do think they have a point, because there have been an increasing number of speakers banned, films, shows and episodes pulled and such in recent times. But yes, they're quite often hypocritical about it. They historically would just call their version a "boycott" or something else.

About "cancel culture", I think it's glorious that the right whines so much about it, when conservatives generally lead the charge when it comes to banning just about anything that mildly displeases them: from rock, to metal, to Dungeons and Dragons, to Magic the Gathering, to Harry Potter, and so on. Every year there is a list of "banned books", books that are targeted for banning by various "concerned parents" groups, and the reasons given are almost invariably religious (read: right wing) in nature. But that's not the only reason why they're hypocritical; whenever someone they disagree with breaks a rule, they're quick to say "tough, that's the rule, just too bad!" - yet they don't want to abide by the rules set by private platforms.

But not only are they hypocritical, they are terrible at it. They boycotted Star Wars and It, and both ruled the box office. They break their own expensive items that they had already purchased. Almost nothing they tried to cancel was ever canceled.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:24 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Jon liked to play the "I hate both parties" card in interviews. When Americans say something like that, it either means they're further left than anybody in the Democratic party or closet Republicans who know that conservative is a dirty word in a lot of circles. Considering how he had a lot of "love it or leave it" sentiments prior to his jump down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole, I highly doubt he was the former...

I still find it funny that Ripper claims to have the opposite political beliefs as Schaffer during his time in the band. Even by mid-2000s standards when middle America was still largely ignoring social issues, I'm still not sure what that would even entail.

Haha fuck Ripper Owens. He's not fooling anyone. I will always LOVE that Rob Halford went on record as saying "a straight man can't do my job" regarding fronting Priest :lol:
That's my kind of diss - low-key but direct.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:04 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
insanewayne253 wrote:

About "cancel culture", I think it's glorious that the right whines so much about it, when conservatives generally lead the charge when it comes to banning just about anything that mildly displeases them: from rock, to metal, to Dungeons and Dragons, to Magic the Gathering, to Harry Potter, and so on. Every year there is a list of "banned books", books that are targeted for banning by various "concerned parents" groups, and the reasons given are almost invariably religious (read: right wing) in nature. But that's not the only reason why they're hypocritical; whenever someone they disagree with breaks a rule, they're quick to say "tough, that's the rule, just too bad!" - yet they don't want to abide by the rules set by private platforms.

But not only are they hypocritical, they are terrible at it. They boycotted Star Wars and It, and both ruled the box office. They break their own expensive items that they had already purchased. Almost nothing they tried to cancel was ever canceled.

To be fair, it works both ways. The left has done that many MANY times. I remember when they got mad at Chris Pratt and wanted him fired from movies because he was part of a church that was anti lgbt but the poor guy never actually said anything.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:28 pm 

That wasn't the left, that was a bunch of random people. There's been many more instances of the right wing wielding actual institutional power to try and ban things. Individuals on Twitter saying stuff =/= the actual left-leaning party.

And to be fair churches that are anti LGBT should all be burned to the ground.

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:09 pm 

Honestly, calling extreme metal bands 'problematic' is so lame. I struggle to conclude who's worse, the extreme metal wimps who cry and complain about 'antifa' showing up and ruining their fun, or the keyboard wielding white knights more concerned with lyrics and personalities fitting into their picturesque view of what is moral and decent than enjoying a kickass riff.

Jon is a Fucking toolbag and if you dont like destroyer 666 Fuck you.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:26 am 

Jon might be a "Fucking toolbag" but I stilt like the good Iced Earth albums.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:37 am 

Kutulu wrote:
Honestly, calling extreme metal bands 'problematic' is so lame. I struggle to conclude who's worse, the extreme metal wimps who cry and complain about 'antifa' showing up and ruining their fun, or the keyboard wielding white knights more concerned with lyrics and personalities fitting into their picturesque view of what is moral and decent than enjoying a kickass riff.

To be fair, the worst thing about Destroyer 666 isn't how problematic they are, it's how mediocre and generic all their music sounds.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:46 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Kutulu wrote:

To be fair, the worst thing about Destroyer 666 isn't how problematic they are, it's how mediocre and generic all their music sounds.

F A T A L I T Y
:lol:

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:36 am 

Destroyer 666 fuckin rules.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:56 am 

Destroyer 666 is definitely super boring

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:39 am 

Morton Salt wrote:
Destroyer 666 is definitely super boring

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say D666 is boring at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:37 am 

Suck it up gramps, there's a change of guard afoot on the MA forums and we don't play that shit :-P

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:58 pm 

Opus wrote:

No such thing.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:38 pm 

I guess I just don't see the reason in listening to Destroyer 666 when Sadistik Exekution is right there.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:16 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Opus wrote:

No such thing.

This is the kind of content I am still here for...

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:58 pm 

Morton Salt wrote:
I guess I just don't see the reason in listening to Destroyer 666 when Sadistik Exekution is right there.

Those are 2 really good bands. You're actually allowed to like and listen to more than one band Morty. Really. It is possible.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next