Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:40 am 

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=378714713613165

Based on Crossing the Blades, not expecting much, but with Rolf there's always the potential for greatness.

Last edited by worlock on Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:51 am 

Is there no first single? It's bizarre when bands release merch first before any audio.

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:54 am 

Yeah no singles out so far as far as I can see, which is weird and annoying indeed.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:57 am 

Bland title + art, RW hasn't excited me in a long time but the classics are still exciting enough...TO. THIS. DAY.
I doubt I'll check this out.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:07 am 

Something tells me Rapid Foray is a fluke and Blood on Blood will be business as usual.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:08 am 

Shadowmaker was honestly so insulting that I never bothered with anything after. I do like their old stuff though.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:08 am 

Demon Fang wrote:
Something tells me Rapid Foray is a fluke and Blood on Blood will be business as usual.

I'm holding out hope. Maybe Rolf saw the positive reactions and decided to do that again.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am 

The band has an actual drummer listed, so maybe they'll use him this time? I guess we won't know for a few weeks.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 pm 

I think with most older bands people say that the newer albums aren't really worth checking out but I find that's usually wrong and the new albums still have some worthwhile material. However, Running Wild might an exception.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:06 pm 

Tracklist. I'm not even listening to track 9. All of Rolf's songs titled stuff like "Rockin' With the Boys" are completely worthless.

1. Blood on Blood
2. Wings of Fire
3. Say Your Prayers
4. Diamonds & Pearls
5. Wild & Free
6. Crossing the Blades
7. One Night, One Day
8. The Shellback
9. Wild, Wild Nights
10. The Iron Times (1618 - 1648)

King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:13 pm 

Reminds me a bit of the Blazon Stone album cover which might be a good sign. I'm also especially stoked to hear that track which seems to be based on the Thirty Years' War, which is an interesting concept for a lengthy epic. Don't know about the actual quality of the music this time though, as their most recent EP didn't do much for me.

By the way, if we consider RW to have been active since 1979, their first mediocre album (Victory, released in 2000) is now the exact midpoint of their career.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 pm 

Google Steamhammer and I only get information about the UK Blues Band Steamhammer. Go to steamhammer.de and I get redirected to a dead Facebook page. The only real page I can find related to Steamhammer is shop.steamhammer.de like in the pre-order images above. I'm not sure what the state of the label is internally, but from the outside looking in it seems like maybe it's not being maintained very well.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 pm 

Demon Fang wrote:

I don't even know if I could call that one a fluke. To me it was just more of the same lifeless post-2000 Running Wild but with less insipid cock rock.

swine_brothers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:43 pm 

Knowing Rolf's ego, this will most likely be disapointing.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:26 pm 

This is going to suck, but I'll eventually end up giving it a listen. I fucking love Running Wild's first 8-9 albums, and because of that I'll always given 'em a chance.

Nikodem15
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:16 am 

There are plenty of reasons why Rock'n'Rolf Kasparek is so happy with 'Blood On Blood'. Says Rolf: "We all know the difficulties the cultural sector was faced with during the lockdown. On the other hand, it also gave me and many other artists some extra time since most releases had to be postponed. I used that time to fine-tune every little detail of my new material. The result is an album that in my opinion is probably the best in RUNNING WILD's career to date. Every one of the ten songs sounds exactly as I had it in mind when I composed it. I've never been happier with any RUNNING WILD album before." So, with no further details available at this point, fans of the German Metal legend can look forward to 29 October 2021, when 'Blood On Blood' will be out on Steamhammer/SPV. Those who can't wait should mark 13 August in their diaries, when the lead single 'Diamonds & Pearls' will arrive at the digital stores, followed by the second single 'The Shellback' on 24 September 2021. Could there be any better news for RUNNING WILD disciples?
Well, possibly the news below, which will also reveal some of the aforementioned details: Rolf justly describes 'Blood On Blood' as the most diverse offering he has released so far, not only in terms of the compositions but also as far as the production is concerned. "Every song has its own unmistakable sound", explains the captain. "Although I recorded the rhythm guitar parts with my 1976 Gibson Explorer as usual, the other parts were cut with a Gibson Flying V, a Fender Stratocaster and even – the undistorted parts – with a Fender American Standard Telecaster". A prime example being 'One Night, One Day', which owes its great depth to its clean guitar performance. Rolf is referring to a song that is guaranteed to cause a stir with its anthemic direction and unusual arrangements: "For me, this track was a little experiment that I've never dared to try before, because 'One Night, One Day' doesn't have the typical intro-verse-chorus structure, instead gradually building up throughout the song".
The grooving 'The Iron Times (1618 - 1648)', a worthy RUNNING WILD album finale, is just as remarkable, with its eleven minutes of playing time the longest track on the disc, and thanks to its lyrics about the Thirty Years' War also one of the most ambitious numbers. Speaking of lyrics: 'Wings Of Fire' and 'Say Your Prayers' are about prophecies, albeit not – as on many other releases – the prophecies of Nostradamus, but – among others – the prophecies of John of Jerusalem, the French Knight Templar and co-founder of the Order of the Knights Templar, who predicted organ trafficking back in the Middle Ages. Historically no less interesting, 'Crossing The Blades' sees RUNNING WILD broach the story of the three musketeers from the 17th century, their emblem having been recreated on the cover artwork, once again designed by Jens Reinhold (VIRGIN STEEE, FREEDOM CALL, among others...). Rolf: "It's a kind of hybrid between the cross of the musketeers and our mascot, Adrian."
Despite these lyrical ambitions, 'Blood On Blood' also features two "party rock numbers", as Rolf likes to refer to them: 'Wild & Free' and 'Wild, Wild Nights', which are meant to be pure fun, fulfilling their mission to a tee. And last but not least, there's 'The Shellback', a track in typical RUNNING WILD syle that starts with a Celtic-inspired intro, RUNNING WILD revisiting the atmospheric seafaring theme of their 1994 classic 'Black Hand Inn', a prequel of that maritime story. Equally characteristic of the band, which, in addition to Rolf, guitarist Peter Jordan and bassist Ole Hempelmann, has since 2019 included drummer Michael Wolpers, who contributed all the drum parts on the new disc, are the lead single 'Diamonds & Pearls' (including lyric video) and the title track, incidentally the first number Rolf wrote for the new album.
Returning to the prophecy theme, you don't have to be a prophet to be able to anticipate the gleam in the eyes of all RUNNING WILD fans. There can be no doubt about it: 'Blood On Blood' presents RUNNING WILD at their best!

Tracklisting:
01) BLOOD ON BLOOD 4:07
02) WINGS OF FIRE 3:57
03) SAY YOUR PRAYERS 5:14
04) DIAMONDS & PEARLS 4:44
05) WILD & FREE 5:28
06) CROSSING THE BLADES 6:00
07) ONE NIGHT, ONE DAY 4:59
08) THE SHELLBACK 6:11
09) WILD, WILD NIGHTS 4:30
10) THE IRON TIMES (1618 - 1648) 10:29

Line-Up:
Rock'n'Rolf – guitar, vocals
Peter Jordan– guitars
Ole Hempelmann - bass
Michael Wolpers– drums

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:59 pm 

Every time a new Running Wild album is announced, I just wonder when Rolf is gonna suck it up and get Ced to ghostwrite for him.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Every time a new Running Wild album is announced, I just wonder when Rolf is gonna suck it up and get Ced to ghostwrite for him.

Hey, who knows, maybe he finally got around to listening to Ced's stuff and realized he needs to step up or lose the throne to younger blood.

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 pm 

"party rock numbers"

Jesus H Christ.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:11 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:

Yes, I've been wanting this to happen for years (or for him to just properly join the band). Rolf, just do it!

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:18 am 

worlock wrote:
"party rock numbers"

Jesus H Christ.

Oh heck we're getting Me and the Boys PART 2 (Me and More Boys)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:01 pm 

Nikodem15 wrote:
drummer Michael Wolpers, who contributed all the drum parts on the new disc

I'll bet anything it'll still sound like Sasso-homage, e-drum "Rolf plays the drums on the keyboard". I don't trust Rolf to actually use real drums after 20 years in the "Hooked on Monkey Phonics" wilderness.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:05 am 

I'm having a hard, hard time in believing that Rolf can do any good in 2021. A different drummer than Angel Sasso...can't be true ^^

I'm not worried about "party rockers" though, "Bad to the Bone" and "Minefield" are also in this category.

"Best Running Wild album to rate" - Yeah, Rolf. Sure.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Danzig - The Coldest Sun - NEW!
Adder's Fork - "The Fatalist (A Coming Dark)" music video! - NEW!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:28 am 

First song reveal, Diamonds & Pearls, is gonna be out in ~27 hours on youtube:

King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:27 pm 

The new song's honestly better than I expected it to be and it grew on me after a few listens, but it really needed a satisfying ending.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:11 am 

I also really enjoyed the new track! But I strongly agree with one user here who said that Rolf needs to put a LOT more reverb and echo on his voice, as he simply isn't that convincing without :lol: Based on the two singles, I already hear that it'll be better than both Shadowmaker and Resilient, but that doesn't really say much, does it? :ugh:

The only thing that can really save this band now, I feel, is for Rolf to realise that he can't carry it as a solo band. For what the couple of good tracks the albums after he resurrected the band brought, it is not enough to justify why he decided to bring Running Wild back. Sadly.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:12 am 

Oh come on, this is far from satisfying. Perhaps if you turn the playback speed to 1.25 (seriously, do that - sounds more like a "The Rivalry" track then) it's almost convincing, but in its original state?

It's the dad rock-version of Running Wild, please let's be real here, just because it isn't as bad as some of his post-2002 output...are our expectations that low in 2021?

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Danzig - The Coldest Sun - NEW!
Adder's Fork - "The Fatalist (A Coming Dark)" music video! - NEW!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Crossbones
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:16 am 

Surprisingly good single. Good tempo, catchy chorus and Rolf actually sticking with the pirate theme instead of blathering on about hard rock 'partying with the boys' shite or moaning about politicians is lovely to see.
The production is an issue, though. I'll damn it with faint praise by saying the drums almost sound real this time, but the singing sounds like he was recorded in a a swimming pool in a worrying, Rogues-en-Vogue-esque way.

As others have said, he really needs to get Ced aboard. September's going to be a good month for swashbuckling metal, but comparing the output of Running Wild and Blazon Stone over the last ten years, I know which one will be better.

Quote:
It's the dad rock-version of Running Wild, please let's be real here, just because it isn't as bad as some of his post-2002 output...are our expectations that low in 2021?

Sadly, it seems so. Everything after Shadowmaker has been a slow ascent, because fuck me that was such an awful album.

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:02 am 

Doesn't sound half bad on first listen, about Rapid Foray level stuff. I'll take tired Running Wild over godawful Running Wild any day. Hopefully the rest will be of at least the same quality. Although I would not be surprised if this is the high point.

Drums still sound an awful lot like Angelo Sasso. Might of course just be the godawful production of modern RW.

The lyrics are guaranteed Rock'N'Rolf retardation as well.

Quote:
Diamonds & pearls are ruling the world
Silver & gold are a pleasure to hold
Diamonds & pearls attracting the girls
Ruling the fire of passion and greed in your eyes

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:29 am 

That production is not that great - drums are too bonky-loud and Rolf sounds like he's back recording in a nuclear waste drum. Reminds me of Rogues en Vogue, which is a very bad thing. Song was ok but seriously shows the tired old man version of Running Wild as opposed to something with actual life to it. I listened to that song and then immediately put on Blazon Stone's "Mask of Gold" and by god THAT is how you pull off Running Wild. Ced has been carrying this torch for years.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:52 pm 

That song drags really hard. After about 1 minute I'm already fatigued and ready for it to end. Super lame and tired.

Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:21 pm 

The tightarse strikes again with his bullshit drum machine. The drummer he named played on a Herman Frank album - give that a spin and then listen to this. Give it a spell Rolf.

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:48 am 

Gonna give this album a spin, if only to see how many times Rolf will do his thing. My bet's on 6.
Spoiler: show
And he already did it once on this track.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:21 am 

It's not bad but...why? Why make a rehash of earlier albums, but with worse production and a slower tempo?

It sounds so fucking digital...

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:41 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
It's not bad but...why? Why make a rehash of earlier albums, but with worse production and a slower tempo?

It sounds so fucking digital...

I guess the boring answer is because Rolf needs the money, but lacks the drive :/

Here's to hoping that Rapid Foray (and hopefully this album) marks the stepping stones for him to return to a sound that at least somewhat resonates with the glory days albums. I'll never outright give up on an artist that I really like (see: David DeFeis and to some extent Steve Harris :lol: ), but to be completely honest, deep down I know what I'm getting from here on now :grumble:

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:53 am 

Godawful production, terrible "drum" sound. Not the worst song I've ever heard (from this band or any other) but still not something I'd choose to listen to again.

I honestly didn't even like "Rapid Foray", a supposed return to form. Seeing the relatively positive reception for that album intrigued me, then I actually listen to it and... well, it kind of sucked imo.

Reply to topic