Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:09 pm 

Morton Salt wrote:
I guess I just don't see the reason in listening to Destroyer 666 when Sadistik Exekution is right there.

That makes no sense. If you’ve ever listened to D666 and Sad Ex you’d know they’re worlds apart in sound. Is it just because they’re Australian? Is that why you considered this pithy little jab appropriate?

Destroyer 666 is far and away the least boring and one of the most distinct sounding bands in metal. When you hear them you know who it is immediately, there’s lots of things you can dispute about not liking them but the music ain’t it.

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:45 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Destroyer 666 is far and away the least boring and one of the most distinct sounding bands in metal. When you hear them you know who it is immediately, there’s lots of things you can dispute about not liking them but the music ain’t it.
:beer:
The only thing i disagree with here is that liking them is optional.

It is a fact that D666 is great.

Anyone saying that they don't like them just means they're posturing and being a glib asshole.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:20 am 

Ok, enough dickwaving about D666. Thread is about something else.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:12 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
MawBTS wrote:
Not as stinging as this statement by his lawyer:

Death threats, flying feces and unwelcome golden showers made prison ‘hell’ for Iced Earth’s Jon Schaffer, says lawyer

"Unwelcome" golden shows. Like maybe Jon Schaffer enjoys getting pissed on normally.

Yeah, the lawyer should have left that adjective out, lol. "Threaten me, throw shit on me but don't pee on me without my consent."

I'm sorry to even take jest in this, it's not my way but sometimes when karma comes around, it's ok to not empathize.

Just chiming in to point out that the article does not cite the lawyer saying that, the headline seems to be made up by Metal Hammer.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:12 am 

Jon is a piece of shit. However I’m surprised by the amount of people in here that say Iced Earth was mediocre or never that good, etc. I mean as long as you’re somewhat into Power, Thrash and/or Traditional, they really did have some badass fucking albums. The self titled is fucking amazing musically, the vocals suck of course. But that was rectified on Days of Purgatory. Stormrider is brilliant. And Burnt Offerings as well.

Different tastes for everyone of course but just kinda surprised is all.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:17 am 

des91 wrote:
Jon is a piece of shit. However I’m surprised by the amount of people in here that say Iced Earth was mediocre or never that good, etc. I mean as long as you’re somewhat into Power, Thrash and/or Traditional, they really did have some badass fucking albums. The self titled is fucking amazing musically, the vocals suck of course. But that was rectified on Days of Purgatory. Stormrider is brilliant. And Burnt Offerings as well.

I think there were dozens of better bands in just that same 90s to early '00s time period. I've always dug more into the underground side of it though. Tastes will be tastes.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
des91 wrote:

I think there were dozens of better bands in just that same 90s to early '00s time period. I've always dug more into the underground side of it though. Tastes will be tastes.

This. Hell, the vocals of the S/T are pretty entertaining (as are the vocals on the second album, though not as much), but that's about it as far as my enjoyment out of Iced Earth is concerned.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:47 pm 

des91 wrote:
Jon is a piece of shit. However I’m surprised by the amount of people in here that say Iced Earth was mediocre or never that good, etc.

Are you new to metal forums? :lol:

I agree though, Burnt Offerings is still a masterpiece. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:54 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Are you new to metal forums?

Kind of lol.

I’ve lurked awhile but kinda just barely noticed that IE weren’t that popular on the forums here though the reviews seem better.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:12 pm 

Well, you're looking at just the wrong time for positive opinions about anything associated with him. This happens every time something comes out about an artist. Look at how Vektor's stock has fallen, and it's not even clear exactly what he's guilty of.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:18 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Well, you're looking at just the wrong time for positive opinions about anything associated with him. This happens every time something comes out about an artist. Look at how Vektor's stock has fallen, and it's not even clear exactly what he's guilty of.

Lots of people are struggling with the fact that some of their favourite artists have turned out to be pieces of shit. It's just a relief that this time, the piece of shit also happened to be a not so brilliant musician. People who don't like Iced Earth have always been there, but since it's been a washed-up band that nobody cares about anymore, as it were, there's rarely any real opportunity to feel validated by jumping on them and telling everyone how much you can't stand them.

I'm more surprised that seemingly, people weren't already aware that Schaffer is an ultra-nationalist dipshit.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:19 pm 

Iced Earth to me are just an inoffensive gateway metal band that you drop whenever you discover a better band. Every once in a blue moon when I do feel in the mood for power metal, Iced Earth are far from the top of what I want to spin.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:07 pm 

I've already stated that they were a decent band but nothing I had to have in my listening rotation and I knew Schaffer's views, didn't agree but he crossed my line with being a part of the insurrection. Lot's of artists I like have political, religious, whatever views that I don't agree with.

Best thing to come from this is Stu Block is back with Into Eternity.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:11 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Iced Earth to me are just an inoffensive gateway metal band that you drop whenever you discover a better band. Every once in a blue moon when I do feel in the mood for power metal, Iced Earth are far from the top of what I want to spin.

Nailed it.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:04 pm 

I really want to gainsay that, but it's all taste, there's not much point. I'll just say there are certain musical itches that particular IE albums and songs scratch that no other band does, even though I've found hundreds of other power and thrash bands since discovering them. I think even if Hetfield did something really dumb you could still use the same argument.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:17 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I really want to gainsay that, but it's all taste, there's not much point. I'll just say there are certain musical itches that particular IE albums and songs scratch that no other band does, even though I've found hundreds of other power and thrash bands since discovering them. I think even if Hetfield did something really dumb you could still use the same argument.

That's a hot take and I already know some "unpopular" takes he has and whatever. But first off, he isn't that stupid and secondly, bringing Schaffer into the same conversation with Het is a supreme reach.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:09 pm 

Rodman wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Nailed it.

Yeah the only Iced Earth album I ever got into was Night of the Stormrider and that was more for the thrash than for the power metal.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:09 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

That's a hot take and I already know some "unpopular" takes he has and whatever. But first off, he isn't that stupid and secondly, bringing Schaffer into the same conversation with Het is a supreme reach.

My point is that if Hetfield did something most people here found at best distasteful, and worse, treasonous, there would be plenty of people who would line up and say that Metallica was never that good anyway, they coasted on Mustaine's ideas, Slayer was way better, etc. Some people already think that anyway, but it would really bring them out of the woodwork. That wouldn't change the fact that no matter how many other great thrash bands there are, Metallica has certain qualities that make them a one of a kind band that you can't just listen to a bunch of other bands and get the exact same effect from.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am 

Hetfield hasn't done anything heinous as far as I know and I can safely say they were never that good...

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:58 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Hetfield hasn't done anything heinous as far as I know and I can safely say they were never that good...

I'm sure there is no shortage of people who would say that St.Anger and Lulu are as heinous deeds as they get.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

My point is that if Hetfield did something most people here found at best distasteful, and worse, treasonous, there would be plenty of people who would line up and say that Metallica was never that good anyway, they coasted on Mustaine's ideas, Slayer was way better, etc. Some people already think that anyway, but it would really bring them out of the woodwork. That wouldn't change the fact that no matter how many other great thrash bands there are, Metallica has certain qualities that make them a one of a kind band that you can't just listen to a bunch of other bands and get the exact same effect from.

I'd say you're probably off-base there. There's always going to be some edgelord that discovered thrash metal two weeks ago that has Elite Opinions, but for the majority of metalheads, the legacy of Metallica is undeniable. Some people might talk shit about their post-80s work, though. And not everyone listens to Metallica and loves them, but the contempt people are now showing for Schaffer's work and Iced Earth is based on the idea that they never did anything very exceptional.

black_metal_mountaineering
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:07 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

Pray tell, how is Primordial problematic?

I know we're derailing the thread but at this point no one should give two shits about Traitor Schaffer anymore.

I like my metal "problematic" I wouldn't have it any other way.

Man, it is like we are back in the 80's again except the tables have turned and now the punks and metalheads are the PMRC seeking to silence anyone who they feel is immoral.

On any given dy I'll listen to anything from Panopticon through to Nokturnal Mortum, The Clash through to Stahlgewitter , Motorhead to Skrewdriver and that's how I roll

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:22 am 

black_metal_mountaineering wrote:
Man, it is like we are back in the 80's again except the tables have turned and now the punks and metalheads are the PMRC seeking to silence anyone who they feel is immoral.

Yup, a committee with national reach trying to legally limit if, in what way and to whom a record containing the word "fuck" can be sold is totally the same thing as people deciding that they're not actually interested in spending their own damn money on records/merch/concerts of an artist they "feel is immoral" on grounds of things like said artist being a rapist, abuser, murderer, domestic terrorist or literal neonazi.

Last edited by AddWittyUsername on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 am 

Nah, unlike the 80s, now we have punks and metalheads licking the boots of some of the most conservative and authoritarian institutions in the world.

Any more baiting from you, and you're out.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:17 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

I'd say you're probably off-base there. There's always going to be some edgelord that discovered thrash metal two weeks ago that has Elite Opinions, but for the majority of metalheads, the legacy of Metallica is undeniable. Some people might talk shit about their post-80s work, though. And not everyone listens to Metallica and loves them, but the contempt people are now showing for Schaffer's work and Iced Earth is based on the idea that they never did anything very exceptional.

That was the purpose of the comparison though, that I don't think even an artist with a general consensus rock-solid string of albums like Metallica had in the 80s is immune from backlash. And if they aren't, you certainly can't expect artists with less renown to be.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:06 am 

AddWittyUsername wrote:

Yup, a committee with national reach trying to legally limit if, in what way and to whom a record containing the word "fuck" can be sold is totally the same thing as people deciding that they're not actually interested in spending their own damn money on records/merch/concerts of an artist they "feel is immoral" on grounds of things like said artist being a rapist, abuser, murderer, domestic terrorist or literal neonazi.

People always make that dumb comparison saying "the left" is now doing the same stuff as the PMRC or conservatives from decades ago. They're not. What people keep calling the left is actually just random people saying their opinions about various people and issues. There's no big group actually getting any of these people banned from stuff that has political affiliations with the left, no real authority. If you just don't like people expressing opinions, well I dunno, tough shit.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:30 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

That was the purpose of the comparison though, that I don't think even an artist with a general consensus rock-solid string of albums like Metallica had in the 80s is immune from backlash. And if they aren't, you certainly can't expect artists with less renown to be.

I'm not sure they would really suffer a big backlash. David Bowie had sex with underage girls (13 years) and nobody really cared and now that he's dead people care even less. Not rumors, this stuff was documented.

There's a really high chance if Schaffer got out of prison and toured the US he would get bigger audiences than he did before.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm 

That was a different time though. A lot of those guys in that era got away with things that I'm not so sure they would have now, like Jimmy Page, Steven Tyler, Iggy Pop and such. Social media wasn't the driving force it is now. Do we have concrete evidence of artists who've done questionable or worse things in the past decade or so and come back to have even bigger careers?

EricJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:11 pm 

I think MOST fans give the artists a pass if they do something 'wrong' or 'bad' or whatever. Sure, they will lose some fans, but they would have to do something REALLY bad to lose their entire fanbase.

Once Schaffer serves his sentence for aggressively pointing his finger in a federal building, he will probably still get gigs/make money. Not as much as before, sure, but he will be okay.

Last edited by hakarl on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was warned for this post (baiting).

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:35 pm 

EricJ wrote:
I think MOST fans give the artists a pass if they do something 'wrong' or 'bad' or whatever. Sure, they will lose some fans, but they would have to do something REALLY bad to lose their entire fanbase.

Once Schaffer serves his sentence for aggressively pointing his finger in a federal building, he will probably still get gigs/make money. Not as much as before, sure, but he will be okay.

Hot take!!!
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

black_metal_mountaineering
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:46 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Nah, unlike the 80s, now we have punks and metalheads licking the boots of some of the most conservative and authoritarian institutions in the world.

Any more baiting from you, and you're out.

But I wasn't baiting at all so that's a bit unfair.

I do listen to music of all genres and all political beliefs because I really just don't care for politics. I have met people from all walks of life and all ends of the political spectrum and I can sayfrom experience I didn't really warm to any of the beliefs they were pushing but as people go they all seemed pretty much the same to me: good/bad/ugly depending on what mood they were in. People are fickle.

Personally I think multi national corporations raping the earth are a bigger issue than what some muso is up to. If you don't like a band don't listen to them but try to live without inadvertently giving your money to those scum multi nationals and its not so easy.

Some guy from a band I've never even listened to gets busted and put in jail for what he did on Jan 6, that's on him I really don't care one way or the other.

That's not baiting thats just how I see life right now. Maybe it will change in the future who knows. If a comment like this gets me banned, well I don't know why tbh. Forums are about expressing your thoughts and ideas with people and thats what I have done with no agenda to bait anyone.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:27 am 

Personally I think multi national corporations raping the earth are a bigger issue than what some muso is up to. If you don't like a band don't listen to them but try to live without inadvertently giving your money to those scum multi nationals and its not so easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

That's not baiting thats just how I see life right now. Maybe it will change in the future who knows. If a comment like this gets me banned, well I don't know why tbh. Forums are about expressing your thoughts and ideas with people and thats what I have done with no agenda to bait anyone.

Nah, what you said was obviously baiting, and it did bait some answers as well. Now, enough about you and your world view.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 am 

I do listen to music of all genres and all political beliefs because I really just don't care for politics.

Some guy from a band I've never even listened to gets busted and put in jail for what he did on Jan 6, that's on him I really don't care one way or the other.

If you are truly concerned about 'multi national corporations raping the earth' then you should despise the guy Schaffer was trying to reinstall as President.

The mass roll back of environmental protections during the Trump presidency is of far greater significance than probably 90% of the controversies he generated. It's certainly more egregious than the amorphous 'Left' engaging in cancel culture.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:46 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
That was a different time though. A lot of those guys in that era got away with things that I'm not so sure they would have now, like Jimmy Page, Steven Tyler, Iggy Pop and such. Social media wasn't the driving force it is now. Do we have concrete evidence of artists who've done questionable or worse things in the past decade or so and come back to have even bigger careers?

What Schaffer did was hyper politically partisan and not really comparable with a more universal ill like raping children. You could argue, pretty reasonably I think, that what he did was just as bad, but it's been absorbed into the the endless culture war and there's a huge slab of Americans who will plant their flag firmly on Schaffer's side because of it.

I'm guessing Schaffer will start a new band called Patriot Rebels with Kid Rock and Five Finger Death Punch and they will perform at Mike Lindell's inauguration.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:50 am 

Rodman wrote:

I do listen to music of all genres and all political beliefs because I really just don't care for politics.

If you are truly concerned about 'multi national corporations raping the earth' then you should despise the guy Schaffer was trying to reinstall as President.

The mass roll back of environmental protections during the Trump presidency is of far greater significance than probably 90% of the controversies he generated. It's certainly more egregious than the amorphous 'Left' engaging in cancel culture.

Yep... and the idea that you can't care about multinational corporations raping the Earth if you care about not supporting Nazis or whatever is a weird strawman.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:00 pm 

What is this "baiting" rule? It looks like any sarcasm with a different political point of view than the moderators is potentially a bannable offense now. Does everyone have to walk around on eggshells?

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:02 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

What Schaffer did was hyper politically partisan and not really comparable with a more universal ill like raping children. You could argue, pretty reasonably I think, that what he did was just as bad, but it's been absorbed into the the endless culture war and there's a huge slab of Americans who will plant their flag firmly on Schaffer's side because of it.

I'm guessing Schaffer will start a new band called Patriot Rebels with Kid Rock and Five Finger Death Punch and they will perform at Mike Lindell's inauguration.

And then the only guy in the audience ends up being that dude from Trapt.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:06 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
What is this "baiting" rule? It looks like any sarcasm with a different political point of view than the moderators is potentially a bannable offense now. Does everyone have to walk around on eggshells?

I doubt it's anything Orwellian or whatever. But it sure is tiresome to read the same regurgitated crap about how "the left" is the worse threat to anything right now, as if they're automatons spouting off pre-recorded phrases. No original thought from these people, no real analysis.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

I doubt it's anything Orwellian or whatever. But it sure is tiresome to read the same regurgitated crap about how "the left" is the worse threat to anything right now, as if they're automatons spouting off pre-recorded phrases. No original thought from these people, no real analysis.

But, at the same time it does feel like anything that doesn't fit the moderators political views is grounds for being banned around here.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:43 pm 

Maybe point at someone who was banned for just voicing a different opinion? Saying "a different political point of view than the moderators is potentially a bannable offense now" sounds awfully close to "we shouldn't ban racists/misogynists/white supremacists/etc".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next