Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2566
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:09 pm 
 

Morton Salt wrote:
I guess I just don't see the reason in listening to Destroyer 666 when Sadistik Exekution is right there.


That makes no sense. If you’ve ever listened to D666 and Sad Ex you’d know they’re worlds apart in sound. Is it just because they’re Australian? Is that why you considered this pithy little jab appropriate?

Destroyer 666 is far and away the least boring and one of the most distinct sounding bands in metal. When you hear them you know who it is immediately, there’s lots of things you can dispute about not liking them but the music ain’t it.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:13 am
Posts: 568
Location: Prospero, Ultima Segmentum
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:45 am 
 

cultofkraken wrote:
Destroyer 666 is far and away the least boring and one of the most distinct sounding bands in metal. When you hear them you know who it is immediately, there’s lots of things you can dispute about not liking them but the music ain’t it.
:beer:
The only thing i disagree with here is that liking them is optional.

It is a fact that D666 is great.

Anyone saying that they don't like them just means they're posturing and being a glib asshole.
_________________
macrocosm wrote:
Since Chuck Schuldiner died of AIDS, I'm gonna say there is a pretty high chance of him being gay.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8584
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:20 am 
 

Ok, enough dickwaving about D666. Thread is about something else.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
mirons
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm
Posts: 272
Location: Latvia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:12 am 
 

oldmetalhead wrote:
MawBTS wrote:
Not as stinging as this statement by his lawyer:

Death threats, flying feces and unwelcome golden showers made prison ‘hell’ for Iced Earth’s Jon Schaffer, says lawyer

"Unwelcome" golden shows. Like maybe Jon Schaffer enjoys getting pissed on normally.

Yeah, the lawyer should have left that adjective out, lol. "Threaten me, throw shit on me but don't pee on me without my consent."

I'm sorry to even take jest in this, it's not my way but sometimes when karma comes around, it's ok to not empathize.


Just chiming in to point out that the article does not cite the lawyer saying that, the headline seems to be made up by Metal Hammer.

Top
 Profile  
des91
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 pm
Posts: 128
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:12 am 
 

Jon is a piece of shit. However I’m surprised by the amount of people in here that say Iced Earth was mediocre or never that good, etc. I mean as long as you’re somewhat into Power, Thrash and/or Traditional, they really did have some badass fucking albums. The self titled is fucking amazing musically, the vocals suck of course. But that was rectified on Days of Purgatory. Stormrider is brilliant. And Burnt Offerings as well.

Different tastes for everyone of course but just kinda surprised is all.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30255
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:17 am 
 

des91 wrote:
Jon is a piece of shit. However I’m surprised by the amount of people in here that say Iced Earth was mediocre or never that good, etc. I mean as long as you’re somewhat into Power, Thrash and/or Traditional, they really did have some badass fucking albums. The self titled is fucking amazing musically, the vocals suck of course. But that was rectified on Days of Purgatory. Stormrider is brilliant. And Burnt Offerings as well.

Different tastes for everyone of course but just kinda surprised is all.


I think there were dozens of better bands in just that same 90s to early '00s time period. I've always dug more into the underground side of it though. Tastes will be tastes.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Pig
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6446
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
des91 wrote:
Jon is a piece of shit. However I’m surprised by the amount of people in here that say Iced Earth was mediocre or never that good, etc. I mean as long as you’re somewhat into Power, Thrash and/or Traditional, they really did have some badass fucking albums. The self titled is fucking amazing musically, the vocals suck of course. But that was rectified on Days of Purgatory. Stormrider is brilliant. And Burnt Offerings as well.

Different tastes for everyone of course but just kinda surprised is all.


I think there were dozens of better bands in just that same 90s to early '00s time period. I've always dug more into the underground side of it though. Tastes will be tastes.


This. Hell, the vocals of the S/T are pretty entertaining (as are the vocals on the second album, though not as much), but that's about it as far as my enjoyment out of Iced Earth is concerned.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 10110
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:47 pm 
 

des91 wrote:
Jon is a piece of shit. However I’m surprised by the amount of people in here that say Iced Earth was mediocre or never that good, etc.

Are you new to metal forums? :lol:

I agree though, Burnt Offerings is still a masterpiece. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
des91
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 pm
Posts: 128
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:54 pm 
 

Morrigan wrote:
Are you new to metal forums?


Kind of lol.

I’ve lurked awhile but kinda just barely noticed that IE weren’t that popular on the forums here though the reviews seem better.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2499
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:12 pm 
 

Well, you're looking at just the wrong time for positive opinions about anything associated with him. This happens every time something comes out about an artist. Look at how Vektor's stock has fallen, and it's not even clear exactly what he's guilty of.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8584
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:18 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Well, you're looking at just the wrong time for positive opinions about anything associated with him. This happens every time something comes out about an artist. Look at how Vektor's stock has fallen, and it's not even clear exactly what he's guilty of.

Lots of people are struggling with the fact that some of their favourite artists have turned out to be pieces of shit. It's just a relief that this time, the piece of shit also happened to be a not so brilliant musician. People who don't like Iced Earth have always been there, but since it's been a washed-up band that nobody cares about anymore, as it were, there's rarely any real opportunity to feel validated by jumping on them and telling everyone how much you can't stand them.

I'm more surprised that seemingly, people weren't already aware that Schaffer is an ultra-nationalist dipshit.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am
Posts: 5568
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:19 pm 
 

Iced Earth to me are just an inoffensive gateway metal band that you drop whenever you discover a better band. Every once in a blue moon when I do feel in the mood for power metal, Iced Earth are far from the top of what I want to spin.
_________________
RYM
BastardHead wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:
Glen Benton had a Bigfoot sighting in Florida


This has been debunked. He actually just saw Erik Rutan.

Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 236
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:07 pm 
 

I've already stated that they were a decent band but nothing I had to have in my listening rotation and I knew Schaffer's views, didn't agree but he crossed my line with being a part of the insurrection. Lot's of artists I like have political, religious, whatever views that I don't agree with.

Best thing to come from this is Stu Block is back with Into Eternity.

Top
 Profile  
Rodman
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 651
Location: Sydney, Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:11 pm 
 

Wilytank wrote:
Iced Earth to me are just an inoffensive gateway metal band that you drop whenever you discover a better band. Every once in a blue moon when I do feel in the mood for power metal, Iced Earth are far from the top of what I want to spin.


Nailed it.
_________________
https://thephosphorusbombs.bandcamp.com/ - Hardcorethrashpunk from Sydney, Australia. Check out our latest record '...Against You!' - https://open.spotify.com/album/4sO3nrVr ... 5GZXBLuKiQ

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2499
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:04 pm 
 

I really want to gainsay that, but it's all taste, there's not much point. I'll just say there are certain musical itches that particular IE albums and songs scratch that no other band does, even though I've found hundreds of other power and thrash bands since discovering them. I think even if Hetfield did something really dumb you could still use the same argument.

Top
 Profile  
oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 am
Posts: 236
Location: Helltown, United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:17 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I really want to gainsay that, but it's all taste, there's not much point. I'll just say there are certain musical itches that particular IE albums and songs scratch that no other band does, even though I've found hundreds of other power and thrash bands since discovering them. I think even if Hetfield did something really dumb you could still use the same argument.

That's a hot take and I already know some "unpopular" takes he has and whatever. But first off, he isn't that stupid and secondly, bringing Schaffer into the same conversation with Het is a supreme reach.

Top
 Profile  
draconiondevil
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:09 pm 
 

Rodman wrote:
Wilytank wrote:
Iced Earth to me are just an inoffensive gateway metal band that you drop whenever you discover a better band. Every once in a blue moon when I do feel in the mood for power metal, Iced Earth are far from the top of what I want to spin.


Nailed it.


Yeah the only Iced Earth album I ever got into was Night of the Stormrider and that was more for the thrash than for the power metal.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2499
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:09 pm 
 

oldmetalhead wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
I really want to gainsay that, but it's all taste, there's not much point. I'll just say there are certain musical itches that particular IE albums and songs scratch that no other band does, even though I've found hundreds of other power and thrash bands since discovering them. I think even if Hetfield did something really dumb you could still use the same argument.

That's a hot take and I already know some "unpopular" takes he has and whatever. But first off, he isn't that stupid and secondly, bringing Schaffer into the same conversation with Het is a supreme reach.


My point is that if Hetfield did something most people here found at best distasteful, and worse, treasonous, there would be plenty of people who would line up and say that Metallica was never that good anyway, they coasted on Mustaine's ideas, Slayer was way better, etc. Some people already think that anyway, but it would really bring them out of the woodwork. That wouldn't change the fact that no matter how many other great thrash bands there are, Metallica has certain qualities that make them a one of a kind band that you can't just listen to a bunch of other bands and get the exact same effect from.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2902
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:48 am 
 

Hetfield hasn't done anything heinous as far as I know and I can safely say they were never that good...

Top
 Profile  
mirons
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm
Posts: 272
Location: Latvia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:58 am 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Hetfield hasn't done anything heinous as far as I know and I can safely say they were never that good...


I'm sure there is no shortage of people who would say that St.Anger and Lulu are as heinous deeds as they get.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8584
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 am 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

My point is that if Hetfield did something most people here found at best distasteful, and worse, treasonous, there would be plenty of people who would line up and say that Metallica was never that good anyway, they coasted on Mustaine's ideas, Slayer was way better, etc. Some people already think that anyway, but it would really bring them out of the woodwork. That wouldn't change the fact that no matter how many other great thrash bands there are, Metallica has certain qualities that make them a one of a kind band that you can't just listen to a bunch of other bands and get the exact same effect from.

I'd say you're probably off-base there. There's always going to be some edgelord that discovered thrash metal two weeks ago that has Elite Opinions, but for the majority of metalheads, the legacy of Metallica is undeniable. Some people might talk shit about their post-80s work, though. And not everyone listens to Metallica and loves them, but the contempt people are now showing for Schaffer's work and Iced Earth is based on the idea that they never did anything very exceptional.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
black_metal_mountaineering
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:07 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:07 am 
 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

Pray tell, how is Primordial problematic?

I know we're derailing the thread but at this point no one should give two shits about Traitor Schaffer anymore.



I like my metal "problematic" I wouldn't have it any other way.

Man, it is like we are back in the 80's again except the tables have turned and now the punks and metalheads are the PMRC seeking to silence anyone who they feel is immoral.

On any given dy I'll listen to anything from Panopticon through to Nokturnal Mortum, The Clash through to Stahlgewitter , Motorhead to Skrewdriver and that's how I roll

Top
 Profile  
AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:40 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:22 am 
 

black_metal_mountaineering wrote:
Man, it is like we are back in the 80's again except the tables have turned and now the punks and metalheads are the PMRC seeking to silence anyone who they feel is immoral.

Yup, a committee with national reach trying to legally limit if, in what way and to whom a record containing the word "fuck" can be sold is totally the same thing as people deciding that they're not actually interested in spending their own damn money on records/merch/concerts of an artist they "feel is immoral" on grounds of things like said artist being a rapist, abuser, murderer, domestic terrorist or literal neonazi.


Last edited by AddWittyUsername on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8584
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 am 
 

black_metal_mountaineering wrote:

Man, it is like we are back in the 80's again except the tables have turned and now the punks and metalheads are the PMRC seeking to silence anyone who they feel is immoral.

Nah, unlike the 80s, now we have punks and metalheads licking the boots of some of the most conservative and authoritarian institutions in the world.

Any more baiting from you, and you're out.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2499
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:17 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

My point is that if Hetfield did something most people here found at best distasteful, and worse, treasonous, there would be plenty of people who would line up and say that Metallica was never that good anyway, they coasted on Mustaine's ideas, Slayer was way better, etc. Some people already think that anyway, but it would really bring them out of the woodwork. That wouldn't change the fact that no matter how many other great thrash bands there are, Metallica has certain qualities that make them a one of a kind band that you can't just listen to a bunch of other bands and get the exact same effect from.

I'd say you're probably off-base there. There's always going to be some edgelord that discovered thrash metal two weeks ago that has Elite Opinions, but for the majority of metalheads, the legacy of Metallica is undeniable. Some people might talk shit about their post-80s work, though. And not everyone listens to Metallica and loves them, but the contempt people are now showing for Schaffer's work and Iced Earth is based on the idea that they never did anything very exceptional.


That was the purpose of the comparison though, that I don't think even an artist with a general consensus rock-solid string of albums like Metallica had in the 80s is immune from backlash. And if they aren't, you certainly can't expect artists with less renown to be.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30255
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:06 am 
 

AddWittyUsername wrote:
black_metal_mountaineering wrote:
Man, it is like we are back in the 80's again except the tables have turned and now the punks and metalheads are the PMRC seeking to silence anyone who they feel is immoral.

Yup, a committee with national reach trying to legally limit if, in what way and to whom a record containing the word "fuck" can be sold is totally the same thing as people deciding that they're not actually interested in spending their own damn money on records/merch/concerts of an artist they "feel is immoral" on grounds of things like said artist being a rapist, abuser, murderer, domestic terrorist or literal neonazi.


People always make that dumb comparison saying "the left" is now doing the same stuff as the PMRC or conservatives from decades ago. They're not. What people keep calling the left is actually just random people saying their opinions about various people and issues. There's no big group actually getting any of these people banned from stuff that has political affiliations with the left, no real authority. If you just don't like people expressing opinions, well I dunno, tough shit.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Pig
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2902
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:30 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

My point is that if Hetfield did something most people here found at best distasteful, and worse, treasonous, there would be plenty of people who would line up and say that Metallica was never that good anyway, they coasted on Mustaine's ideas, Slayer was way better, etc. Some people already think that anyway, but it would really bring them out of the woodwork. That wouldn't change the fact that no matter how many other great thrash bands there are, Metallica has certain qualities that make them a one of a kind band that you can't just listen to a bunch of other bands and get the exact same effect from.

I'd say you're probably off-base there. There's always going to be some edgelord that discovered thrash metal two weeks ago that has Elite Opinions, but for the majority of metalheads, the legacy of Metallica is undeniable. Some people might talk shit about their post-80s work, though. And not everyone listens to Metallica and loves them, but the contempt people are now showing for Schaffer's work and Iced Earth is based on the idea that they never did anything very exceptional.


That was the purpose of the comparison though, that I don't think even an artist with a general consensus rock-solid string of albums like Metallica had in the 80s is immune from backlash. And if they aren't, you certainly can't expect artists with less renown to be.

I'm not sure they would really suffer a big backlash. David Bowie had sex with underage girls (13 years) and nobody really cared and now that he's dead people care even less. Not rumors, this stuff was documented.

There's a really high chance if Schaffer got out of prison and toured the US he would get bigger audiences than he did before.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2499
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm 
 

That was a different time though. A lot of those guys in that era got away with things that I'm not so sure they would have now, like Jimmy Page, Steven Tyler, Iggy Pop and such. Social media wasn't the driving force it is now. Do we have concrete evidence of artists who've done questionable or worse things in the past decade or so and come back to have even bigger careers?

Top
 Profile  
EricJ
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 pm
Posts: 45
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:11 pm 
 

I think MOST fans give the artists a pass if they do something 'wrong' or 'bad' or whatever. Sure, they will lose some fans, but they would have to do something REALLY bad to lose their entire fanbase.

Once Schaffer serves his sentence for aggressively pointing his finger in a federal building, he will probably still get gigs/make money. Not as much as before, sure, but he will be okay.


Last edited by Ilwhyan on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was warned for this post (baiting).

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1137
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:35 pm 
 

EricJ wrote:
I think MOST fans give the artists a pass if they do something 'wrong' or 'bad' or whatever. Sure, they will lose some fans, but they would have to do something REALLY bad to lose their entire fanbase.

Once Schaffer serves his sentence for aggressively pointing his finger in a federal building, he will probably still get gigs/make money. Not as much as before, sure, but he will be okay.


Hot take!!!
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
black_metal_mountaineering
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:07 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:46 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
black_metal_mountaineering wrote:

Man, it is like we are back in the 80's again except the tables have turned and now the punks and metalheads are the PMRC seeking to silence anyone who they feel is immoral.

Nah, unlike the 80s, now we have punks and metalheads licking the boots of some of the most conservative and authoritarian institutions in the world.

Any more baiting from you, and you're out.


But I wasn't baiting at all so that's a bit unfair.

I do listen to music of all genres and all political beliefs because I really just don't care for politics. I have met people from all walks of life and all ends of the political spectrum and I can sayfrom experience I didn't really warm to any of the beliefs they were pushing but as people go they all seemed pretty much the same to me: good/bad/ugly depending on what mood they were in. People are fickle.

Personally I think multi national corporations raping the earth are a bigger issue than what some muso is up to. If you don't like a band don't listen to them but try to live without inadvertently giving your money to those scum multi nationals and its not so easy.

Some guy from a band I've never even listened to gets busted and put in jail for what he did on Jan 6, that's on him I really don't care one way or the other.


That's not baiting thats just how I see life right now. Maybe it will change in the future who knows. If a comment like this gets me banned, well I don't know why tbh. Forums are about expressing your thoughts and ideas with people and thats what I have done with no agenda to bait anyone.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 8584
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:27 am 
 

black_metal_mountaineering wrote:
Personally I think multi national corporations raping the earth are a bigger issue than what some muso is up to. If you don't like a band don't listen to them but try to live without inadvertently giving your money to those scum multi nationals and its not so easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

black_metal_mountaineering wrote:
That's not baiting thats just how I see life right now. Maybe it will change in the future who knows. If a comment like this gets me banned, well I don't know why tbh. Forums are about expressing your thoughts and ideas with people and thats what I have done with no agenda to bait anyone.

Nah, what you said was obviously baiting, and it did bait some answers as well. Now, enough about you and your world view.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."

Top
 Profile  
Rodman
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 651
Location: Sydney, Australia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 am 
 

black_metal_mountaineering wrote:

I do listen to music of all genres and all political beliefs because I really just don't care for politics.

Personally I think multi national corporations raping the earth are a bigger issue than what some muso is up to. If you don't like a band don't listen to them but try to live without inadvertently giving your money to those scum multi nationals and its not so easy.

Some guy from a band I've never even listened to gets busted and put in jail for what he did on Jan 6, that's on him I really don't care one way or the other.


If you are truly concerned about 'multi national corporations raping the earth' then you should despise the guy Schaffer was trying to reinstall as President.

The mass roll back of environmental protections during the Trump presidency is of far greater significance than probably 90% of the controversies he generated. It's certainly more egregious than the amorphous 'Left' engaging in cancel culture.
_________________
https://thephosphorusbombs.bandcamp.com/ - Hardcorethrashpunk from Sydney, Australia. Check out our latest record '...Against You!' - https://open.spotify.com/album/4sO3nrVr ... 5GZXBLuKiQ

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 5747
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:46 am 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
That was a different time though. A lot of those guys in that era got away with things that I'm not so sure they would have now, like Jimmy Page, Steven Tyler, Iggy Pop and such. Social media wasn't the driving force it is now. Do we have concrete evidence of artists who've done questionable or worse things in the past decade or so and come back to have even bigger careers?

What Schaffer did was hyper politically partisan and not really comparable with a more universal ill like raping children. You could argue, pretty reasonably I think, that what he did was just as bad, but it's been absorbed into the the endless culture war and there's a huge slab of Americans who will plant their flag firmly on Schaffer's side because of it.

I'm guessing Schaffer will start a new band called Patriot Rebels with Kid Rock and Five Finger Death Punch and they will perform at Mike Lindell's inauguration.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.


Last edited by darkeningday on Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30255
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:50 am 
 

Rodman wrote:
black_metal_mountaineering wrote:

I do listen to music of all genres and all political beliefs because I really just don't care for politics.

Personally I think multi national corporations raping the earth are a bigger issue than what some muso is up to. If you don't like a band don't listen to them but try to live without inadvertently giving your money to those scum multi nationals and its not so easy.

Some guy from a band I've never even listened to gets busted and put in jail for what he did on Jan 6, that's on him I really don't care one way or the other.


If you are truly concerned about 'multi national corporations raping the earth' then you should despise the guy Schaffer was trying to reinstall as President.

The mass roll back of environmental protections during the Trump presidency is of far greater significance than probably 90% of the controversies he generated. It's certainly more egregious than the amorphous 'Left' engaging in cancel culture.


Yep... and the idea that you can't care about multinational corporations raping the Earth if you care about not supporting Nazis or whatever is a weird strawman.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Pig
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2499
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:00 pm 
 

What is this "baiting" rule? It looks like any sarcasm with a different political point of view than the moderators is potentially a bannable offense now. Does everyone have to walk around on eggshells?

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 1339
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:02 pm 
 

darkeningday wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
That was a different time though. A lot of those guys in that era got away with things that I'm not so sure they would have now, like Jimmy Page, Steven Tyler, Iggy Pop and such. Social media wasn't the driving force it is now. Do we have concrete evidence of artists who've done questionable or worse things in the past decade or so and come back to have even bigger careers?

What Schaffer did was hyper politically partisan and not really comparable with a more universal ill like raping children. You could argue, pretty reasonably I think, that what he did was just as bad, but it's been absorbed into the the endless culture war and there's a huge slab of Americans who will plant their flag firmly on Schaffer's side because of it.

I'm guessing Schaffer will start a new band called Patriot Rebels with Kid Rock and Five Finger Death Punch and they will perform at Mike Lindell's inauguration.

And then the only guy in the audience ends up being that dude from Trapt.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 30255
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:06 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
What is this "baiting" rule? It looks like any sarcasm with a different political point of view than the moderators is potentially a bannable offense now. Does everyone have to walk around on eggshells?


I doubt it's anything Orwellian or whatever. But it sure is tiresome to read the same regurgitated crap about how "the left" is the worse threat to anything right now, as if they're automatons spouting off pre-recorded phrases. No original thought from these people, no real analysis.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Pig
Fictional Works - if you hated my reviews over the years then pay me back by reviewing my own stuff
Official Website

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 1137
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:20 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
What is this "baiting" rule? It looks like any sarcasm with a different political point of view than the moderators is potentially a bannable offense now. Does everyone have to walk around on eggshells?


I doubt it's anything Orwellian or whatever. But it sure is tiresome to read the same regurgitated crap about how "the left" is the worse threat to anything right now, as if they're automatons spouting off pre-recorded phrases. No original thought from these people, no real analysis.


But, at the same time it does feel like anything that doesn't fit the moderators political views is grounds for being banned around here.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2902
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:43 pm 
 

Maybe point at someone who was banned for just voicing a different opinion? Saying "a different political point of view than the moderators is potentially a bannable offense now" sounds awfully close to "we shouldn't ban racists/misogynists/white supremacists/etc".

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: In_Zane, Space_alligator and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group