* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:57 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:
I'd have preferred if they went more Black Brick and less... whatever this is. It's not bad, the music itself is OK (some really nice parts at the end of that last track) if you're in the mood for it, but the vocals are way too mellow. I liked the superposition of mellow, dreamy elements with harsher, more metal parts.

I'm imagning the Gnashing with vocals similar to Sunbather and I think it'd improve it 900%.

I'm still hoping it's a grower, though. I may revise my opinion once I hear the whole thing.

Black Brick was boring, this is much better

Nah, Black Brick is actually metal and was the best thing they did since Sunbather. The new songs are too mellow and have little teeth. The new songs would be ,uch better if they didn't have that toothless singing. It's like they wanted to do Sunbather 2.0 and removed anything that might scare grandmas and aunties.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:10 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:
I'd have preferred if they went more Black Brick and less... whatever this is. It's not bad, the music itself is OK (some really nice parts at the end of that last track) if you're in the mood for it, but the vocals are way too mellow. I liked the superposition of mellow, dreamy elements with harsher, more metal parts.

I'm imagning the Gnashing with vocals similar to Sunbather and I think it'd improve it 900%.

I'm still hoping it's a grower, though. I may revise my opinion once I hear the whole thing.

Black Brick was boring, this is much better

Nah, Black Brick is actually metal and was the best thing they did since Sunbather. The new songs are too mellow and have little teeth. The new songs would be ,uch better if they didn't have that toothless singing. It's like they wanted to do Sunbather 2.0 and removed anything that might scare grandmas and aunties.

I forgot, metalheads are allergic to anything that isn't metal and think that a softer sound is only there to be mainstream and family friendly

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:45 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:

I forgot, metalheads are allergic to anything that isn't metal and think that a softer sound is only there to be mainstream and family friendly

Nah, it's just not that good. Plus if you'd been bothered to read, I do hope the songs click once I get the whole thing, but as stand alone... it's just flat out boring. Especially the singing.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:53 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:

Not the first time that little stereotype/strawman has been used in this thread, I think, so I'll say again that the people who actually do believe that (they're idiots, if they exist) are most likely the kind of people who hate Deafheaven in general, along with other so-called "hipster black metal" acts like Liturgy, Wolves in the Throne Room, Panopticon, etc.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:54 pm 

The newest track is the most nondescript of the bunch yet. Just boring and teethless. And I promise you, that's not because it's softer and more mainstream. Some of my most favorite albums are very soft, and very mainstream.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:00 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

Not the first time that little stereotype/strawman has been used in this thread, I think, so I'll say again that the people who actually do believe that (they're idiots, if they exist) are most likely the kind of people who hate Deafheaven in general, along with other so-called "hipster black metal" acts like Liturgy, Wolves in the Throne Room, Panopticon, etc.

Yeah, I like previous Deafheaven albums and a lot of non metal music. This is just subpar and hiding behind the "metalheads are allergic to anything that isn't metal" argument is lazy.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:00 pm 

I do agree that the new song is the most nondescript of the bunch so far, though - it really does sound like a slightly more ambient version of something from one of Coldplay's first three albums. And also, I've mentioned this before, but what the fuck are these song titles? "In Blur", "Great Mass of Color", "The Gnashing", "Neptune Raining Diamonds", "Other Language"... it's like they used an AI song title generator or something. Same with the album title - it sounds like the product of a game of exquisite corpse.

Great Mass of Color was sorta promising, as it sounded like a natural evolution from what they tried on OCHL, but the singles are killing any hopes I had of an enjoyable Deafheaven album for once. Why didn't they just write a whole album of songs like Irresistible and put lyrics over them? That could have been great.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:05 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
https://youtu.be/fXTBQQU191Y

Here's the music video for the new song

I don't see a reason why I should listen to this thing instead of well established and genuinely more interesting bands in the style such as my bloody valentine or slowdive. Hell, I would even rather listen to Interpol or Snow patrol if I'm looking for that kind of stuff.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:26 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
https://youtu.be/fXTBQQU191Y

Here's the music video for the new song

I don't see a reason why I should listen to this thing instead of well established and genuinely more interesting bands in the style such as my bloody valentine or slowdive. Hell, I would even rather listen to Interpol or Snow patrol if I'm looking for that kind of stuff.

......so don't listen to it

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:42 am 

What a fantastic, well thought out response that isn't passive aggressive or childish at all.

And by the way, I, for one, won't. At least not more than a few more times when the full record comes out. Unless something happens that really grabs my attention.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:50 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
What a fantastic, well thought out response that isn't passive aggressive or childish at all.

And by the way, I, for one, won't. At least not more than a few more times when the full record comes out. Unless something happens that really grabs my attention.

I don't have the energy, nor will, to formally debate on the "trveness" of Deafheaven. I post when a new single drops, and then comment a couple things, usually just half-assed responses to half-assed opinions

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:16 am 

TheLoneForest,

If the (mild) criticism of Deafheaven that people have been writing here upsets you, can I suggest taking a step back from the thread and focusing your energy on something more positive?

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:15 pm 

SkinMM wrote:
Deafheaven have never sounded much like Slowdive, and this new track doesn't either, to my ears. Interpol would be a better comparison.

Funny because the newest single "In Blur" (which to be far dropped after your comment here) has Slowdive vibes in spades.

I absolutely love a lot of modern bands that intersect between shoegaze/post-rock/indie. Every track I've heard from this new album sounds so mediocre though. I don't hate any single, but it's just not touching the quality of several bands who have been doing similar things far better for far longer. I'm sure I'll get around to listening to the album in full at some point, but my excitement is shot. At least when they played metal, while always being a derivative band, the quality of what they were imitating was so much higher.

I feel like a wet blanket - I do enjoy Deafheaven but I am so unimpressed by these songs. A softer direction for the band isn't even the problem - it's the execution.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:22 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
I feel like a wet blanket - I do enjoy Deafheaven but I am so unimpressed by these songs. A softer direction for the band isn't even the problem - it's the execution.

This +1000. I don't have a problem with them exploring different sounds and going into a different direction at all. My favorite Anathema albums are the non metal ones.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:10 pm 

It leaked to Soulseek, and it's absolutely glorious. Not AOTY, but it's a great album. It's different in comparison to other shoegaze bands as well, because you can clearly hear it's made by metalheads - from the arrangements, to the usage of riffs, and even with how the vocals are sorted out.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:17 am 

On the first track and this is definitely AOTY material

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:01 am 

Ok, it was even more boring than I was expecting. At least it doesn't sound disjointed like their previous effort but the whole album is really dull and monotonous.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:12 am 

Capital B boring. I'll give it a few spins in case it's a grower; but right now, it's probably the worst album of the year that I heard by a considerable margin, and a huge deception.

Compostor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:29 am 

Well, that was kinda disappointing. There are some good parts on the album, but for the most part it's just way too boring to a point it's difficult to tell the songs apart.
I don't think it's a bad album, just very, very average. New Bermuda was such a good album, sad to see 'em become this uninspired.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:38 am 

I agree that it's kind of boring as a full length album like I was anticipating in my posts above. There's a few good parts like the end of In Blur in my opinion but they're too rare as opposed to on New Bermuda where the transitions from heavy to light shoegazey parts help create that effect they're looking for.

Bread Congregation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:06 pm 

Record sounds so much like AFI. Which makes sense but isn't really a thing I want to hear.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:18 pm 

I'm three tracks in, on Great Mass of Color, and so far that song is the only one I really remember. So far my hopes for a good Deafheaven album have been pretty much tossed. It doesn't sound special, it isn't memorable, and the clean singing is as stonefaced as clean singing gets.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:08 pm 

Wow I hate this album. It all means and sounds like nothing. I can't remember them just being this ineffectual. The music is incredibly bland and dull and BLAND AND DULL OVER AND OVER and the fucking lyrics sincerely mean nothing at all.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:16 pm 

I mean, it's not like lyrics have ever been Deafheaven's strong suit. Mostly it's meaningless abstract stuff or awful "emotional" lines like "I cried against an ocean of light" or "I'm dying - is it blissful - it's like a dream - I want to dream". At least you can understand what he's saying now.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:28 pm 

Just listened to the album. Definitely their weakest album.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:33 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I mean, it's not like lyrics have ever been Deafheaven's strong suit. Mostly it's meaningless abstract stuff or awful "emotional" lines like "I cried against an ocean of light" or "I'm dying - is it blissful - it's like a dream - I want to dream". At least you can understand what he's saying now.

Yeah, of course. I never cared a bit for their lyrics but with music this unmemorable, I read through the lyrics just to grasp at something for meaning and was like well, this is fucking stupid

Empyreal wrote:

SkinMM
Jesus Loves Me (More than You)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:48 pm 

Deafheaven's strong point for me has always been their crescendos/melodic hooks, and this album is decidedly lacking in them.

I do think George Clarke's vocals are very run-of-the-mill here, too. There are very few occasions where there is anything interesting or memorable about them at all, but that would be just as true for his monotonous screamo by way of black metal vocals on previous albums as well.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:04 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Yeah, of course. I never cared a bit for their lyrics but with music this unmemorable, I read through the lyrics just to grasp at something for meaning and was like well, this is fucking stupid

Sorry you didn't get it

Last edited by Ilwhyan on Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 month ban for continuing to be an asshat

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:37 pm 

I don’t hate it or anything, it’s an enjoyable enough listen. But yeah, really nothing blows me away on this one. I think it’s telling that the best parts of the album were the parts where the traditional Deafheaven elements show up like on the ends of both Villians and Mombasa (the latter being the standout for me for sure).
I’ve always loved Shoegaze and all things similarly ethereal-sounding and melodic, so I’d be lying if I said there isn’t at least a default level of enjoyment I have just by them pursuing that style in general. But to echo a lot of other sentiments, it’s just really far off from being a high-water mark in the style, or from being the best in their discography. I don’t want to be too harsh on the album though, I can see myself potentially enjoying it more with further listens.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:46 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Sorry you didn't get it

Man, I have no idea why you’ve been so hostile and defensive this whole thread. It’s seriously uncalled for, people are just expressing their thoughts on the new album (I mean, you are on a metal discussion forum after all). How about this: you obviously seem to like the new album quite a bit, so if you feel like other people’s criticisms are baseless or come from an insincere place, why don’t you actually just explain exactly why it is you think they’re wrong, or better yet just talk about the specific qualities that make this album great to you.

You keep circling back around to this attitude that us metalheads on M-A somehow inherently hate anything that’s not metal (even though several people have assured you that they are plenty fond of shoegaze and other comparable styles and acts), because it’s the only way you can make sense of anyone hating this album. You keep reducing everyone’s opinion to this superficial “it’s not metal so it’s automatically bad” argument, but conversely all I can deduce from what little you’ve actually said is an equally superficial “they’re trying something new so it’s automatically good”. Now I’d like to think your opinion on the album is not that shallow so I’m not going to say that’s what you ACTUALLY think, but you have to at least discuss it instead of just being all passive-aggressive towards everyone. Everyone else seems to be giving more reasons for their opinion than you.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:20 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Sorry you didn't get it

But clearly you do. You're so smart. Your mom gotta be proud of you!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:59 pm 

TheLoneForest is constantly insulting metal culture as well as various bands and subgenres, and yet he can't handle light criticism of a band he enjoys.

Get the fuck over yourself, dude. Seriously.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:26 am 

After the first listen I would give it at least 8/10, it's very melodic and lyrics are quite good, evocative and above the average for the lyrics on this site in general, and average as poetry.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:34 am 

Osore wrote:
above the average for the lyrics on this site in general

Sorry to have to be the one to break it.....but NO!
Deafheaven were never interesting lyrically. Anything "evocative" was always conveyed by the music, presentation, delivery and not the words. These latest mishmashes are no exception. There's bands ON THIS SITE that are far better at executing the whole abstract lyricism shtick.

Empyreal wrote:

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:38 am 

Osore wrote:
above the average for the lyrics on this site in general

Sorry to have to be the one to break it.....but NO!
Deafheaven were never interesting lyrically. Anything "evocative" was always conveyed by the music, presentation, delivery and not the words. These latest mishmashes are no exception. There's bands ON THIS SITE that are far better at executing the whole abstract lyricism shtick.

Can you please give me some names? There's a chance I missed those bands because I usually don't pay much attention to lyrics. No need for capital letters, it appears like you are yelling at me.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:02 am 

Off the top of my head; Psychotic Waltz, Sabbat (UK), Demilich, Ehnahre, Ebonylake and Kayo Dot all have a firmer grip of the abstract than Deafheaven. In terms of presentation anyway.

The closest band to them stylistically I'd bring up is Bosse-de-Nage cause they do the same sort of blank/meaningless song titles thing. But their lyricism has some satirical, absurdist bite to it.

The Industry of Distance:
Spoiler: show
Observe your years of anonymous industry from a distance
You exist suspended in the fumes of a postulated hell
Where fatigue and despair are unchecked:
The city’s streets are filled with people in a tableau of routine
One day, you trip on a broken road and they scream and cry
You settle waist deep in their insults while
Your life’s work is scattered by their stinking breaths
Remember that you existed in the same place one year ago, ten
years ago, etc.
Escape quickly into a proliferation of momentary rooms
Choose the room where you will become a corpse on a bed and
Wait for your moments of anonymous sleep to gather close then
expand lengthwise
The people will remember you for your large nose and receding chin.

And I was yelling at you, this is a METAL forum after all :-P
Or it could've been for emphasis, I dunno.

Empyreal wrote:

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:08 am 

^ Thanks! The text in the spoiler is cool. I'll check the bands you mentioned - no surprise I'm not familiar with their lyrics because I don't listen to them. At least I recognise band names.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:24 am 

Guys, everyone just likes different things.

I've always found Deafheaven's lyrics to be one of my biggest attractions to the band. The lines: "Where has my passion gone? Has it been carried off by some lonely driver in a line of florescent light?" are some of my all-time favourite opening lyrics to a record.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:02 pm 

Deafheaven's lyrics don't really make much sense but they are interesting and evocative. It's hipster stuff but eh that doesn't have to be bad.

Listening to it now and I like this album. Not sure it's something I'd be obsessed with enough to play all the time - like all the Deafheaven I've heard - but it's obviously well done and the band has a real feel for these melodies and soundscapes. Everything sounds very good and the whole thing just kind of carries you along. I'm not an expert on this style at all and don't really care what bands do it better - album's pretty solid I think.

Not as good as Ordinary Corrupt Human Love, but like that album I enjoy how all the songs fit together and the album seems in conversation with itself, a whole and complete piece. Well done.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:52 am 

At least now they sound just like how they look (a Weezer cover band or something) :D

^This is Deafheaven for me. The mix really captures what they're going for in this live IMO. From the Kettle onto the Coil is an underrated part of their discography, it should have been on New Bermuda.

If the ending of the album on Mombasa is any indication I have a feeling they will go back to the "blackgaze" sound on the next album.

Last edited by Fearoth on Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next