Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1278
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:23 am 
 

Swedish death metal legends Unleashed will release their fourteenth studio album, No Sign Of Life, on November 12 through Napalm Records. From the press release:

Quote:
Swedish Death Metal Legends UNLEASHED are back to defend their throne! With the release of their 14th full length studio album No Sign Of Life on November 12 2021, the Death Metal pioneers that influenced a whole musical genre deliver another work of sheer brutality.

Formed back in 1989 by Johnny Hedlund, UNLEASHED have been delivering supreme Death Metal in the sign of their Viking ancestors from day one! The Einherjar legions of Asgard transfer Viking values and traditions into modernity and forge another uncompromising musical weapon.

The rage paves its way straight from the first notes of the album opener “The King Lost His Crown” and leaves no time to breathe during the entire playing time. The album unfolds as an unstoppable war battalion and builds up on UNLEASHED’s well established trademark sounds and lyrics. Accompanied by shouts hailing Odin, heavy guitar riffs take no prisoners on “The Highest Ideal”, until the album finds a glorious end on “Here at the End of the World”.

The Chief Vikings of Swedish Death Metal manage to play modern sounding old school Death Metal and leave no doubt that they are still true to their roots after 32 years of existence. UNLEASHED are and stay the unchallenged leaders of Sweden’s Death Metal forefathers. Hail Odin!


Image

Tracklisting:
1. The King Lost His Crown
2. The Shepherd has Left the Flock
3. Where Can You Flee?
4. You are the Warrior!
5. No Sign of Life
6. The Highest Ideal
7. Midgard Warriors for Life
8. Did You Struggle with God?
9. Tyr Wields the Sword
10. It is Finished
11. Here at the End of the World

The King Lost His Crown has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show


Seems like they're continuing in the same direction as The Hunt For White Christ, which is fine by me.


Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am
Posts: 130
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:30 am 
 

instant buy.

Top
 Profile  
LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:36 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:09 pm 
 

Hell yes, these guys have been on a roll since Midvinterblot, I love the direction they've gone in.

Top
 Profile  
Cyrdarxes
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:59 pm
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:24 pm 
 

I see they're still using the same cover artist from the last two albums. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't like the bright colour schemes; it doesn't suit their music and looks cartoonish. They should use the artist they commissioned for their 4 albums released from 2006-2012 again.

Top
 Profile  
draconiondevil
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Posts: 207
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:59 pm 
 

Big fan of these guys. Haven't even heard the track yet and I know it's going to rule.

Top
 Profile  
Floodland
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:58 am
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:00 pm 
 

Why are they legends? Boring, yes, but legends? Anything I have tried since Where No Life Dwells oh so many years ago was nothing, nothing, nothing but a spectacular snoozefest. No Sign Of Life would be a rehashed Where No Life Dwells? Same meaning anyways...
_________________
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Top
 Profile  
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:52 pm
Posts: 1155
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:44 pm 
 

Im digging the eastern vibe from the single. I'm hyped, loved THFWC.
_________________
I'm Greek. My body produces feta cheese.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm
Posts: 660
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:15 pm 
 

I can't wait to listen to this and then completely forget it exists.

Top
 Profile  
praey
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:33 am
Posts: 804
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:52 pm 
 

Cyrdarxes wrote:
I see they're still using the same cover artist from the last two albums. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't like the bright colour schemes; it doesn't suit their music and looks cartoonish. They should use the artist they commissioned for their 4 albums released from 2006-2012 again.

I actually thought Hammer Battalion looked really cartoonish too, it was just less colorful. I don't know, I feel like their pure, no trends, stripped-down death metal sound actually fits this aesthetic pretty well. Never been a huge fan of Unleashed, but at least they are reliable and pretty fun live.

Top
 Profile  
Wombface
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:28 pm
Posts: 365
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:00 am 
 

praey wrote:
Cyrdarxes wrote:
I see they're still using the same cover artist from the last two albums. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I don't like the bright colour schemes; it doesn't suit their music and looks cartoonish. They should use the artist they commissioned for their 4 albums released from 2006-2012 again.

I actually thought Hammer Battalion looked really cartoonish too, it was just less colorful. I don't know, I feel like their pure, no trends, stripped-down death metal sound actually fits this aesthetic pretty well. Never been a huge fan of Unleashed, but at least they are reliable and pretty fun live.


I think those last three artworks have been some of their best. Granted, Midvinterblot's cover is absolutely gorgeous but Hammer Battalion and especially Odalheim were pretty tame.

In any event, I'll be picking up this album. Love this band.
_________________
Gelal - Grand Belial's Key wrote:
The Star of David and the Pentagram go hand in hand like black metal and a camera.

Top
 Profile  
jose_G
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 1:02 pm
Posts: 164
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am 
 

Awesome!

Top
 Profile  
draconiondevil
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Posts: 207
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:40 pm 
 

Floodland wrote:
Why are they legends? Boring, yes, but legends? Anything I have tried since Where No Life Dwells oh so many years ago was nothing, nothing, nothing but a spectacular snoozefest. No Sign Of Life would be a rehashed Where No Life Dwells? Same meaning anyways...


Have you heard As Yggdrasil Trembles or Odalheim? Both great albums imo.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2587
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:53 pm 
 

Floodland wrote:
Why are they legends? Boring, yes, but legends? Anything I have tried since Where No Life Dwells oh so many years ago was nothing, nothing, nothing but a spectacular snoozefest. No Sign Of Life would be a rehashed Where No Life Dwells? Same meaning anyways...


Legends because they released a classic of Swedish death metal? Doesn’t matter if it’s one album or 18 that still makes them legends of the scene, your personal taste or interest does not alter that.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
MRmehman
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:34 pm
Posts: 636
Location: Painted World of Ariamis
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:28 pm 
 

Cool, Unleashed are usually really good. I'm looking forward to hearing this one.
_________________
"He who is tired of Candlemass, is tired of life."

Top
 Profile  
Floodland
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:58 am
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:13 pm 
 

cultofkraken wrote:
Floodland wrote:
Why are they legends? Boring, yes, but legends? Anything I have tried since Where No Life Dwells oh so many years ago was nothing, nothing, nothing but a spectacular snoozefest. No Sign Of Life would be a rehashed Where No Life Dwells? Same meaning anyways...


Legends because they released a classic of Swedish death metal? Doesn’t matter if it’s one album or 18 that still makes them legends of the scene, your personal taste or interest does not alter that.


So by that logic, any musical garbage released 30 years ago is by default a classic? Ha fucking ha.
_________________
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2587
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:23 pm 
 

Floodland wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Floodland wrote:
Why are they legends? Boring, yes, but legends? Anything I have tried since Where No Life Dwells oh so many years ago was nothing, nothing, nothing but a spectacular snoozefest. No Sign Of Life would be a rehashed Where No Life Dwells? Same meaning anyways...


Legends because they released a classic of Swedish death metal? Doesn’t matter if it’s one album or 18 that still makes them legends of the scene, your personal taste or interest does not alter that.


So by that logic, any musical garbage released 30 years ago is by default a classic? Ha fucking ha.


Where No Life Dwells is generally regarded as a classic regardless of what you think and a foundational album of Swedish Death Metal. Ergo they get the legends status. You don’t like it tough titties.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am
Posts: 189
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:52 pm 
 

Slayer

Top
 Profile  
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1278
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm 
 

cultofkraken wrote:
Where No Life Dwells is generally regarded as a classic regardless of what you think and a foundational album of Swedish Death Metal. Ergo they get the legends status. You don’t like it tough titties.


I think their first 2-3 albums are all classics, Shadows of the Deep and Across the Open Sea are both killer records in their own right and even later on you have gems like Sworn Allegiance.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2587
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:25 am 
 

Kalaratri wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Where No Life Dwells is generally regarded as a classic regardless of what you think and a foundational album of Swedish Death Metal. Ergo they get the legends status. You don’t like it tough titties.


I think their first 2-3 albums are all classics, Shadows of the Deep and Across the Open Sea are both killer records in their own right and even later on you have gems like Sworn Allegiance.


You don't need convince me I love a lot of their output... I was just saying essentially if you even just count Where No Life Dwells, they are still a legendary band, and are generally regarded as such.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
markhebb
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:32 am
Posts: 69
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:29 am 
 

These guys don’t really have a bad album- even Victory and Warrior have their moments. Looking forward to this.

Top
 Profile  
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1278
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:44 am 
 

The second single is out:


Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6537
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:48 am 
 

Will the next album be called Where No Sign of Life Dwells?

Top
 Profile  
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:52 pm
Posts: 1155
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:00 am 
 

Yeah this song was pretty lame.
_________________
I'm Greek. My body produces feta cheese.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2587
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:44 pm 
 

The two tracks are ok. They fall into some traps for Unleashed I don’t really care for but the guitar work is still pretty damn good.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Veteran

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 2819
Location: PDX
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:53 pm 
 

lol holy shit, this is what modern Unleashed sounds like? this is borderline nu-metal. that awful guitar tone, those crossover-style "spoken" vocals. if i heard this on the radio i would assume it's five finger death punch.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2587
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:42 pm 
 

narsilianshard wrote:
lol holy shit, this is what modern Unleashed sounds like? this is borderline nu-metal. that awful guitar tone, those crossover-style "spoken" vocals. if i heard this on the radio i would assume it's five finger death punch.


Eh this is somewhat of a shift again in sound. I too am not thrilled about how hollow the guitar sounds. They’ve definitely had punchier guitar heavy production like on Dawn of the Nine.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
markhebb
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:32 am
Posts: 69
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:48 pm 
 

I enjoy that second track- Unleashed have always done good mid tempo stuff. Agree about the guitar tone though- could be better.

Top
 Profile  
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 991
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:29 pm 
 

I think the nu-metal comparison might be a bit of a stretch, but these tracks are still kind of forgettable. Then again, I've actually never listened to Unleashed, despite having seen their name thrown around quite a bit. I feel like this isn't the best place to start with them.

EDIT: I also agree that the cover art is way too modern looking for how their logo looks. Doesn't fit at all.

EDIT 2: Okay I'm only 2 minutes into Where No Life Dwells and it already fucking slaps. I'm giving this band a chance.

Top
 Profile  
Rodman
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 669
Location: Sydney, Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:03 am 
 

Unleashed are a great band, and much of their more modern stuff does indeed slap. However, this new album is sounding very meh...
_________________
https://thephosphorusbombs.bandcamp.com/ - Hardcorethrashpunk from Sydney, Australia. Check out our latest record '...Against You!' - https://open.spotify.com/album/4sO3nrVr ... 5GZXBLuKiQ

Top
 Profile  
Demon Fang
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:42 am
Posts: 204
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 am 
 

zzz unleashed had a good run but these singles are bizarrely bland.

Top
 Profile  
Everflowingstream
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:29 am
Posts: 560
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:16 am 
 

Been a fan for a long time and these songs are fucking terrible. None of their material gets near the first three but for the most part it is listenable for meat and potatoes death metal. I wonder if this will be their last album.

Top
 Profile  
markhebb
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:32 am
Posts: 69
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:13 am 
 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Been a fan for a long time and these songs are fucking terrible. None of their material gets near the first three but for the most part it is listenable for meat and potatoes death metal. I wonder if this will be their last album.


They had a real purple patch in the early naughtiest- Sworn Allegiance and Midvinterblut are particularly good….

Top
 Profile  
Rodman
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 669
Location: Sydney, Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:49 am 
 

markhebb wrote:
Everflowingstream wrote:
Been a fan for a long time and these songs are fucking terrible. None of their material gets near the first three but for the most part it is listenable for meat and potatoes death metal. I wonder if this will be their last album.


They had a real purple patch in the early naughtiest- Sworn Allegiance and Midvinterblut are particularly good….


I'll also vouch for the last 3 albums.
_________________
https://thephosphorusbombs.bandcamp.com/ - Hardcorethrashpunk from Sydney, Australia. Check out our latest record '...Against You!' - https://open.spotify.com/album/4sO3nrVr ... 5GZXBLuKiQ

Top
 Profile  
mjollnir
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:14 pm
Posts: 1921
Location: White Oak, PA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:07 am 
 

The songs I have heard from it were extremely forgettable. Sad since they were once a top tier death/viking metal band.
_________________
Diamhea wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
Edit: fuck it this whole thing is bait anyway.


Like your reviews?

Top
 Profile  
draconiondevil
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Posts: 207
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:56 pm 
 

mjollnir wrote:
The songs I have heard from it were extremely forgettable. Sad since they were once a top tier death/viking metal band.


Unleashed have never been viking metal. Death metal about vikings = / = viking metal.

I have to echo the sentiments of others in this thread. These songs are ok but they don't leave me overly hopeful that this album will be as good as the last few. I've loved everything they've done since at least As Yggdrasil Trembles so it's a bit of a disappointment so far.

Top
 Profile  
mjollnir
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:14 pm
Posts: 1921
Location: White Oak, PA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:57 pm 
 

draconiondevil wrote:
mjollnir wrote:
The songs I have heard from it were extremely forgettable. Sad since they were once a top tier death/viking metal band.


Unleashed have never been viking metal. Death metal about vikings = / = viking metal.

I have to echo the sentiments of others in this thread. These songs are ok but they don't leave me overly hopeful that this album will be as good as the last few. I've loved everything they've done since at least As Yggdrasil Trembles so it's a bit of a disappointment so far.

"If you're going to split hairs, I'm going to piss off!!"

Seriously, there is no such genre as viking metal....we all know this. I was being more descriptive than literal. lol
_________________
Diamhea wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
Edit: fuck it this whole thing is bait anyway.


Like your reviews?

Top
 Profile  
Wombface
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:28 pm
Posts: 365
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:03 pm 
 

I thought the first single was great. That latest one though is a bit bland but I'm sure it's going to fit decently in the context of the album. Most Unleashed albums are pretty consistent since Midvinterblot but there are a few average songs here and there.
_________________
Gelal - Grand Belial's Key wrote:
The Star of David and the Pentagram go hand in hand like black metal and a camera.

Top
 Profile  
markhebb
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:32 am
Posts: 69
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:27 am 
 

Been listening back through the Unleashed back catalogue- I have discovered that I have a very odd top five

1. Midvinterblot
2. Across The Open Seas
3. Sworn Allegiance
4. Hells Unleashed (yeah I know)
5. Shadows In The Deep

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2639
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:25 pm 
 

Tough crowd. I thought the two tracks so far were pretty solid. Doesn't need to be innovative, just some hard-hitting cuts, and they worked for me. I think Hammer Battalion seems to be a bit underrated here, some powerful riffs and killer solos on that one.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2587
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Tough crowd. I thought the two tracks so far were pretty solid. Doesn't need to be innovative, just some hard-hitting cuts, and they worked for me. I think Hammer Battalion seems to be a bit underrated here, some powerful riffs and killer solos on that one.


I guess expectations for Unleashed always run pretty high, I was just running through the last few albums recently and The Hunt for White Christ actually hit me harder this time and comparative to the new tracks Johnny sounded a lot more vicious and the guitars a lot thicker.

On multiple listens the songs are growing on me but Johnny’s vocals sound more like they did on Warrior, with that shoutier style and I’m not as fond of it, also I still maintain those guitars are sitting in the back of that mix and need to be way meatier.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gas_Snake and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group