Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cmg92
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:18 am
Posts: 33
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:04 am 
 

Image

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Thrash_Dictator/Rampage/634955

Top
 Profile  
laxskinn
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:12 pm
Posts: 193
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:08 am 
 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Found this gem in the upcoming albums section. Just so much going on here.

Image

It looks like you could get like five different decent covers out of this if you separated different parts

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 6537
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:31 am 
 

Ever since I use Windows 10, I can't post screenshots directly, but here's a link to a PL tribute album. Let's just say that they've improved Lost Paradise's original artwork! :lol:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/G ... 5hw2aWvOjQ

Top
 Profile  
MorbidEngel
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:58 am 
 

Is that a Bionicle
_________________
last.fm - Feel free to add, just let me know who you are first
R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Top
 Profile  
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 991
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:40 am 
 

laxskinn wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:
Found this gem in the upcoming albums section. Just so much going on here.

Image

It looks like you could get like five different decent covers out of this if you separated different parts


It's like they're trying to set their older album cover on fire - wtf?

MorbidEngel wrote:
Is that a Bionicle


I thought the same thing!

Top
 Profile  
ChoujuX
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:05 pm
Posts: 8
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:15 pm 
 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Is that a Bionicle

Same vibes as the Voya Nui comics!

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10718
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:25 pm 
 

If this hasn't been posted already:

Image

Sodom usually do pretty well on cover art. But this? I've never liked this artwork. It always felt like lazy shock value or phoning it in. It's smushed between Masquerade in Blood and Code Red, both of which have good cover art. To this day I've never actually sat through the whole album.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Rodman
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 669
Location: Sydney, Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:39 am 
 

OzzyApu wrote:
If this hasn't been posted already:

Image

Sodom usually do pretty well on cover art. But this? I've never liked this artwork. It always felt like lazy shock value or phoning it in. It's smushed between Masquerade in Blood and Code Red, both of which have good cover art. To this day I've never actually sat through the whole album.


Not the worst concept - this could have looked cool if it was drawn rather than photographed.
_________________
https://thephosphorusbombs.bandcamp.com/ - Hardcorethrashpunk from Sydney, Australia. Check out our latest record '...Against You!' - https://open.spotify.com/album/4sO3nrVr ... 5GZXBLuKiQ

Top
 Profile  
KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am
Posts: 430
Location: The Shadow Mountains 1983 A.D.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:56 am 
 

I love that Sodom cover simply for the fact the behind the scenes of it must've been fun to witness.

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5309
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:24 pm 
 

Spoilers for size

Spoiler: show
Image


source: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Zulmet/Shitskin_Baby_Back_Ribs_for_Satan/676922
_________________

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com

Top
 Profile  
MorbidEngel
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:37 pm 
 

What the actual fuck
_________________
last.fm - Feel free to add, just let me know who you are first
R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 973
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:42 pm 
 

Turns out that this cover was made from this band named Red Bible Black, and boy do they have some exceptional covers... :o
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:30 pm
Posts: 330
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:44 pm 
 

The lyrics of that split are shit. Not surprising that it’s pedo NSBM.
_________________
The only “-isms” you need, are individualism, and GISM.

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2894
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:28 pm 
 

without the dude in front, it mighta been a decent cover...

Image

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... eel/733874
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 973
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:14 am 
 

aloof wrote:
without the dude in front, it mighta been a decent cover...

Image

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... eel/733874

That's nothing. Their next album had blood faker than ketchup. (also spoiler for boobs)
Spoiler: show
Image
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2894
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:31 pm 
 

Image

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... krist/2589

most of their "artwork" is photoshop tutorial-worthy, but this would be my choice of t-shirt or poster...
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 973
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:00 pm 
 

Boy does that scream 90s black metal cheesiness :lol:

But if you think that's bad, just take a look at this album!
Image
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
MorbidEngel
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:54 pm 
 

Guys that's a big part of Maniac Butcher's charm
_________________
last.fm - Feel free to add, just let me know who you are first
R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Top
 Profile  
camjr01
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:05 pm 
 

You know, I thought this image I've got was kind of bad, but nope it's actually 10000x better than the monstrosities in this thread. It's the cover for a live album by Demon Hunter (absolutely great band, I love their music- though I've never heard this album though- just kind of bad cover)

Spoiler: show
Image
_________________
Stagnation begins when you stop trying to improve

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Top
 Profile  
Fearoth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:09 pm
Posts: 126
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:05 am 
 

Violet Cold - Empire of Love

Image

Not sure what to think. If the goal was shock value then it certainly works better than the usual satanic covers/lyrics I guess. Music itself is pretty good experimental blackgaze but I certainly wouldn't wear the merch in public :D

Top
 Profile  
MorbidEngel
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 pm
Posts: 1234
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:31 am 
 

Like hell is that a bad cover
_________________
last.fm - Feel free to add, just let me know who you are first
R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Top
 Profile  
Auch
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm
Posts: 445
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:44 am 
 

The cover was specifically to show solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community in Azerbaijan, a country that is notoriously anti-LGBTQ+, offering them little to no legal protections and allowing a culture of discrimination and often violence against them. While a small sign, I believe Emin Guliyev still lives in Azerbaijan and the album did receive a lot of press so he was willing to put a target on his back to show support for this community.

(My original post is quoted below but I edited it as Fearoth clarified and my original version came in too aggressive.)


Last edited by Auch on Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Fearoth
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:09 pm
Posts: 126
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:12 am 
 

Auch wrote:
What an absolutely disgusting post just reeking of ignorance. The cover was specifically to show solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community in Azerbaijan, a country that is notoriously anti-LGBTQ+, offering them little to no legal protections and allowing a culture of discrimination and often violence against them. While a small sign, I believe Emin Guliyev still lives in Azerbaijan and the album did receive a lot of press so he was willing to put a target on his back to show support for this community. Take your bigoted, edgelord bullshit out of metal and somewhere else.


Thanks for the context of what's going on in Azerbaijan. I hope he doesn't get beat up or worse for it though (reason I said I wouldn't wear the merch personally, I forgot to specify)

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 973
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:22 am 
 

Violet Cold's isn't the worst I've seen. I actually kinda admire the minimalistic design.
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2943
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:31 am 
 

The message of that cover is cool but it's still hideous to look at.

Top
 Profile  
Auch
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm
Posts: 445
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:54 am 
 

Fearoth wrote:
Auch wrote:
What an absolutely disgusting post just reeking of ignorance. The cover was specifically to show solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community in Azerbaijan, a country that is notoriously anti-LGBTQ+, offering them little to no legal protections and allowing a culture of discrimination and often violence against them. While a small sign, I believe Emin Guliyev still lives in Azerbaijan and the album did receive a lot of press so he was willing to put a target on his back to show support for this community. Take your bigoted, edgelord bullshit out of metal and somewhere else.


Thanks for the context of what's going on in Azerbaijan. I hope he doesn't get beat up or worse for it though (reason I said I wouldn't wear the merch personally, I forgot to specify)


Thanks for clarifying and sorry I assumed. I’ll edit my post so it’s less aggressive.

Agreed that it’s not the most aesthetically pleasing but I think the overtness of message is more important than that.

Top
 Profile  
Lane
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:54 am
Posts: 536
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:41 pm 
 

Negative Photoshop Prevails

Image

Top
 Profile  
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:27 pm
Posts: 3638
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:39 pm 
 

I'll be real as an LGBT person who was raised as a Muslim in a highly conservative household (even if I do not consider myself one now and I wasn't raised in a deeply conservative Islamic society), I have nothing but love and support for Empire of Love's album cover. Yeah it's simple and bold and meant to grab people's attention; and I love it for that.
_________________
Review Lads!

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 840
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:26 am 
 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I'll be real as an LGBT person who was raised as a Muslim in a highly conservative household (even if I do not consider myself one now and I wasn't raised in a deeply conservative Islamic society), I have nothing but love and support for Empire of Love's album cover. Yeah it's simple and bold and meant to grab people's attention; and I love it for that.


Knowing the context of the cover makes it way more badass. It just doesn't fit along with other Violet Cold's album covers, and without context, it may seem like just looking for shock value.

From what little I listened from the album it sounds good too, but it'll need a more attentive listen later.

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5309
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:02 am 
 

Lane wrote:
Negative Photoshop Prevails
Spoiler: show
Image

I have another one of these here:

Image
_________________

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com

Top
 Profile  
Zerberus
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm
Posts: 1841
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:46 am 
 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
I have another one of these here:

Spoiler: show
Image


For so many of these it just feels like a result of the artist having an idea of what they're trying to achieve, but no idea of how to achieve the desired effect.
Like in your example, it's pretty obvious they're going for the classic all-black all-white style of classic black metal, but they probably just had no idea of how to do it.
_________________
TONEwood Music: Buy tapes, live forever
Listen to BONEJAMMER

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 973
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:38 am 
 

Zerberus wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:
I have another one of these here:

Spoiler: show
Image


For so many of these it just feels like a result of the artist having an idea of what they're trying to achieve, but no idea of how to achieve the desired effect.
Like in your example, it's pretty obvious they're going for the classic all-black all-white style of classic black metal, but they probably just had no idea of how to do it.

It would've looked a lot better had they just done a typical black and white font scheme similar to that from Darkthrone's Unholy Trilogy instead of whatever color they did :ugh:
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5309
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:30 am 
 

Slater922 wrote:
Zerberus wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:
I have another one of these here:

Spoiler: show
Image


For so many of these it just feels like a result of the artist having an idea of what they're trying to achieve, but no idea of how to achieve the desired effect.
Like in your example, it's pretty obvious they're going for the classic all-black all-white style of classic black metal, but they probably just had no idea of how to do it.

It would've looked a lot better had they just done a typical black and white font scheme similar to that from Darkthrone's Unholy Trilogy instead of whatever color they did :ugh:

it is not the colours that bother me ... the knives ... look at the knives ...
_________________

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com

Top
 Profile  
David_Brent
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:33 am
Posts: 112
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:02 am 
 

Worst album covers from music I really like: both Lost Horizon albums.

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 973
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:07 pm 
 

David_Brent wrote:
Worst album covers from music I really like: both Lost Horizon albums.

Eh, I'm not sure about that. Maybe for their first album, but A Flame to the Ground Beneath? That one's actually not that bad.

Still waiting for them to release another album, though.
_________________
Under a serpent sun... we shall all live as one! - "Under a Serpent Sun" by At The Gates
Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gggbfxfdhedf, Google [Bot], joppek, Opus, Spiner202 and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group