Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Benedict
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:31 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
This thread inspired me to re-visit Force of Habit, which I probably haven't listened to since I bought the 2008 CD reissue and actually found myself enjoying it quite a bit (covers aside, which, yeah, what was the thinking there?). Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I not only think that Zetro is a good singer (yeah, he sounds a lot like Bon Scott but Bon Scott was awesome) but I think he was the best front man for Exodus.

I'll go out and openly admit it/Force Of Habit is my favorite Exodus album, and I am a fan since Fabulous. I always skipped the covers, never considered them a regular part of the record. The rest is, for me, a true metal masterwork with superb songwriting all around, absolutely astonishing solos, maybe the most memorable the H Team ever did.

Just the way they effortlessly merged bluesy passages with thrash riffs is unprecedented in all of metal, in my opinion. Along with Megadeth's Countdown, it is absolutely the finest of all post-Black Album thrash band's "sellout" records, and it even surpasses that one with sheer creativity, i dare to say.

Needless to say, Metallica's bestseller just gets evaporated by this on every possible level - their trendy blues tinkering during the Load/Reload era sounds clunky and amateurish after Force. It is one of the most unjustly maligned and underrated albums in entire metal history.

It is just heartbreaking that the band was discouraged from experimenting on these grounds after this / i always considered their mid-tempo songs the most adventurous and musically interesting overall.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:27 pm 

They spent a quarter of a million dollars making Force of Habit, which is huge. It might be the most expensive thrash album ever made unless you count stuff like the Black Album.

Gary and Steve hang a lot of shit on Force of Habit now, but it's definitely underrated. It has polish and professionalism. "Architect of Pain" is really good.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:44 pm 

1 - The new track is a killer. Love Exodus when they are straight to the point.

2 - I can't believe that people are defending Force of Habit. That's the sound of a band running on fumes.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:31 pm 

Force of Habit is one of those records emblematic of the no man's land a lot of thrash bands found themselves in during the 90s. I think as an experimental album by the band's standards it's kind of interesting. I'd say compared to what some other bands were doing at the time (like Kreator with Renewal) it holds up far better.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:35 pm 

Rodman wrote:
2 - I can't believe that people are defending Force of Habit. That's the sound of a band running on fumes.

There's plenty of bad songs on the album but also a lot of good ones.
Too bad you don't lke ANY of them. Have a cookie

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:36 pm 

I revisited Force of Habit because of this thread, and it's not as bad as I remember. The covers are the low point, but there's enough thrashyness to keep me happy for that era.

Kalaratri wrote:
Force of Habit is one of those records emblematic of the no man's land a lot of thrash bands found themselves in during the 90s. I think as an experimental album by the band's standards it's kind of interesting. I'd say compared to what some other bands were doing at the time (like Kreator with Renewal) it holds up far better.

I recently completed my Kreator collection by getting Renewal and Cause for Conflict and the 90s were a far more interesting period for them than they're given credit for. IMO Renewal is by far the worst, but Cause for Conflict has tons of super fast thrashy moments, even if it isn't as aggressive as the old stuff. I've owned Outcast and Endorama for much longer, but I find them to be not as bad as a lot of 90s metal albums. Certainly not very thrashy, but there are some good songs in there.

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:36 pm 

Force of Habit is underrated, to be sure. Toss out the abysmal covers, and the album is much more coherent and pleasing to the ears.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:39 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
I revisited Force of Habit because of this thread, and it's not as bad as I remember. The covers are the low point, but there's enough thrashyness to keep me happy for that era.

Kalaratri wrote:

I recently completed my Kreator collection by getting Renewal and Cause for Conflict and the 90s were a far more interesting period for them than they're given credit for. IMO Renewal is by far the worst, but Cause for Conflict has tons of super fast thrashy moments, even if it isn't as aggressive as the old stuff. I've owned Outcast and Endorama for much longer, but I find them to be not as bad as a lot of 90s metal albums. Certainly not very thrashy, but there are some good songs in there.

I actually don't mind the gothic metal Kreator dabbled in on Outcast and Endorama that much. They clearly weren't as good at it as they are with the thrash but those albums are pretty decent nonetheless.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:20 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
IMO Renewal is by far the worst, but Cause for Conflict has tons of super fast thrashy moments, even if it isn't as aggressive as the old stuff. I've owned Outcast and Endorama for much longer, but I find them to be not as bad as a lot of 90s metal albums. Certainly not very thrashy, but there are some good songs in there.

I prefer Renewal out of these four, a diamond in the rough (though the vocals were not always convincing) but I saw them live touring that album and the songs really came to life.
Karmic Wheel, Winter Martyrium & Depression unrest are still among my fave Kreator songs.
Outcast and Endorama really bore me to death

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:01 pm 

Overall I'd say Kreator were far more successful with their stylistic experimentation in the 1990s than Sodom and Destruction when it comes to the big German thrash bands. Granted Destruction only released two albums during the decade, but the second of those two is easily their worst.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:54 am 

MawBTS wrote:
They spent a quarter of a million dollars making Force of Habit, which is huge. It might be the most expensive thrash album ever made...

And I guess they only has $5 left to pay for that album cover!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 pm 

Metal Shark wrote:
MawBTS wrote:
They spent a quarter of a million dollars making Force of Habit, which is huge. It might be the most expensive thrash album ever made...

And I guess they only has $5 left to pay for that album cover!

the wild thing is that it's done by Ralph Steadman, who did Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas among a bunch of other stuff. fantastic artist, really. they really wanted him to do the art and were hype when they managed to hire him, only for him to turn that in. Gary said they were really disappointed given how much money and effort went into hiring him.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:24 am 

They just released the second single:

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:54 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

Who are they, Megadeth with those lyrics? Oh brother. Even lyrics aside I didn't lime this nearly as much as the first single.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:23 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:

Who are they, Megadeth with those lyrics? Oh brother. Even lyrics aside I didn't lime this nearly as much as the first single.

Well Zetro is a known Trump supporter (as are Lee Altus and Jack Gibson according to Gary Holt) so it's not surprising to see these "mainstream media is evil and deliberately lying to people" type lyrics. Not that there aren't legitimate problems with the way news is reported these days and with some of the stuff that passes for journalism, but I'm wouldn't count on Exodus to write lyrics that do a good job articulating them.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:48 pm 

It'd be nice if this sorta thing was coming from a mindset of "the 24 hour news cycle is just another side effect of late stage capitalism's pursuit of profit at the expense of any other goal" rather than the "CNN anchor said something I don't like" angle.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:59 pm 

Yeah, this one didn't grab me like The Beatings Will Continue.

I did like the solo, though.

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:42 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:

To be fair, it's easy to see these lyrics being applicable to folks on both sides of the American political divide. To many folks I know, these lyrics perfectly summarize their perceptions of viewers of the "other side's" news.

Heck, with Fox News being the most watched cable news network (by a very wide margin), it really should be defined as mainstream.

Great riffing here.....exactly what I want out of modern Exodus!

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:53 pm 

It sounds like typical Zetrodus, though he is using more of a head vocal than from his lungs. I don't know how his throat can handle it. I want to hear the whole album, so far we're getting recycled versions of Fabulous Disaster and Toxic Waltz. I hope they wrote some epics for this album.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:54 pm 

Gary has also written most of the lyrics since Baloff's time, and he's solidly left-leaning, so it's possible that these are his.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

This is pretty bad.

Benedict
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:17 am 

After the first two singles i feel cautiously pessimistic, so to say. These days they seem to resort to generic pummeling, mostly.

They are going for speed for speeds sake in order to sound still young and vital, i guess, but they are forgetting to include interesting and memorable riffs and harmonies. Solos are even worse, stock-caliber all over.

I mean, compare these two tracks to their shorter classics like Open Season or Verbal Razors...depressing. Feeding Time at the Zoo sounds like Holy Wars compared to this. At best, this resembles some weaker cuts from Impact is Imminent.

I am still hoping the album will contain more ambitious and diverse mid-tempo cuts in the vein of Like Father Like Son or Architect Of Pain, even Within The Walls of Chaos. And what happened to the shorter but sinister groovers like And then there were None, Til Death Do us Part or Culling The Herd they used to do so well? There were none of those on the last record, too.

Their moshers were infinitely more varied and interesting in terms of songwriting than these two, like Parasite or Chemi-Kill. Nowadays they sound almost like more vocally distinguished Lamb Of God wannabees. I still hope for the best come November...

TheAllNightRocker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:15 am 

Zephirus wrote:
that cover looks like a Kreator reject piece, nuclear blast definitely hit the random metal album generator button on that one

I totally agree. That cover, and the BIBO cover, totally sucks balls. That artist uses too much yellow and his shit is too busy looking

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:10 am 

Doesn’t matter how good they are after 1985; they made arguably the best pure Thrash album ever. Oh, and by pure Thrash I just mean no tech thrash influence, crossover, Speed metal, or Death/Black influence. Bonded is probably single handedly responsible for the rethrash movement too. At least most of those bands sound most similar to that album.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:33 am 

des91 wrote:
Doesn’t matter how good they are after 1985; they made arguably the best pure Thrash album ever. Oh, and by pure Thrash I just mean no tech thrash influence, crossover, Speed metal, or Death/Black influence. Bonded is probably single handedly responsible for the rethrash movement too. At least most of those bands sound most similar to that album.

Yeah when I hear most later thrash bands I hear more Exodus than anything else for the most part.

So far liking the new cuts. Groundbreaking? No, but entertaining.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:30 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
des91 wrote:

Yeah when I hear most later thrash bands I hear more Exodus than anything else for the most part.

Though I'd say it's far more common that retro thrash sounds like Zetro-era Exodus rather than Baloff-era.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:22 am 

The third single is out:

Last edited by Kalaratri on Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:29 pm 

Ah yes, the second second single... I don't blame ya for forgetting the first second single. I like this one.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:37 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Ah yes, the second second single... I don't blame ya for forgetting the first second single. I like this one.

Yeah, I completely erased Clickbait from my mind which might have been for the best. I'd say this song is much better all things considered.

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:44 pm 

Not bad; there are some new vocal nuances on display, Nice chorus, lovely solos!
IMO, this is easily the best of the tracks released, to date.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:38 pm 

Yeah, I think this also my favorite track so far. The chorus is really neat. It's catchy but not in the usual Exodus way; more melodic and despondent. Liking that solo too, though to my ears it sounds like it was spliced in from a different song.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:01 pm 

cringe lyrics.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:23 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
cringe lyrics.

You know this is the Exodus thread, not the Dylan thread right?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:10 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
MawBTS wrote:
cringe lyrics.

You know this is the Exodus thread, not the Dylan thread right?

LOL.
Yeah, it was nice to hear something a little different in the chorus. Liked this one.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3