Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:37 am 

Can't say I love the cover. I might need to get used to it.

Runko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:50 am 

Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:24 am 

Had the album for a few weeks now and really enjoying it it. If Surgical Steel was mix of Heartwork and Swansong then this one definitely sounds a lot like Necroticism both riffing wise and song structure. A lot more technical than the last one.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:13 am 

Sunioj_Paul wrote:
Had the album for a few weeks now and really enjoying it it. If Surgical Steel was mix of Heartwork and Swansong then this one definitely sounds a lot like Necroticism both riffing wise and song structure. A lot more technical than the last one.

That's good to hear. As good as the melodeath stuff is, melodeath in general isn't one of my favourite styles of metal so for me Neuroticism has always been my favourite album of theirs. I hadn't really checked out the new songs so I was expecting Surgical Steel Pt. II. I'm much more excited for the album now.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:21 am 

That was pretty good. The mid-era Sepultura-like intro is interesting and I can get into these kinds of riffs from Carcass, fits well for the title/lyrics of the song. The vocals are perfect and the way the pace picks up with Jeff's cawing guiding it and then simmers down as it began is excellent.

7/10

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:51 pm 

Runko wrote:
Spoiler: show

:lol: I actually like the cover, but that's clever. That movie is a bit too live-action Looney Tunes for me, but I rewatched it a few years ago and it hasn't aged as poorly as I worried it might have, some interesting stuff in it.

draconiondevil wrote:
Sunioj_Paul wrote:

That's good to hear. As good as the melodeath stuff is, melodeath in general isn't one of my favourite styles of metal so for me Neuroticism has always been my favourite album of theirs. I hadn't really checked out the new songs so I was expecting Surgical Steel Pt. II. I'm much more excited for the album now.

Heh, my reaction is the exact opposite of this, though I do like Necroticism. Maybe I'll love it anyway.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:03 pm 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... s-1206231/

Quote:
Torn Arteries ventures even more confidently across the Carcass palette, while throwing in new elements. For every white-knuckle thrash-meets-death-metal rager like the title track or “Under the Scalpel Blade,” there’s a left-field detour, like album centerpiece “Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment Limited,” which features a moody acoustic intro and a downtempo power-ballad-like Steer solo within its roomy yet gripping 10-plus-minute run time; “Wake Up and Smell the Carcass / Caveat Emptor,” built around a sly, decidedly swinging main riff; or “In God We Trust,” which features a peppy, FM-ready bridge complete with punctuating handclaps.

“There was no way on earth we were going to make a similar album to the previous one,” Steer says. “We’ve always tended to avoid that with this group anyway. It felt very important to bring something new and fresh because if Jeff or I are involved, given our history, and the way Dan approaches drumming, in my view, it’s always going to sound like Carcass. So you don’t need to be too neurotic about trying to repeat certain key elements of your style.”

Sounds excellent to me based on this. Great article too.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:34 pm 

e_ddi_e wrote:
New song. I like it.

I fuckin love it.

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:59 pm 

The cover is influenced by the works of Arcimboldi, 100% sure of it.

The new song is nice for the new Carcass, but don't use that Necroticism word because it has nothing to do with it. The riff that start at 0:43 belongs to the new age of Heartwork.

Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:24 pm 

Heard both songs and they sound nothing like Necroticism. That second song is really fucking bad.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:50 am 

What is up with that guitar tone? It farts out when the palm mutes come in, especially in the intro riff. Did they not use an overdrive before the amp or something?

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:21 am 

Sounds fairly normal to me, quite percussive and bright. It could be the way it's multi-tracked (no less than two, could be four) that makes it sound slightly different.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:08 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Lagartija wrote:
I don't know what's going on with that album cover and the title of the second track, but apart from that, well excited.
I pretty much like everything they've done to a greater or lesser degree, so this should be cool.

It's like an extended pun on the "pomp and circumstance" marches by the English composer Elgar coupled with Ixtab who in mythology (Mayan) was a psychopomp (a guide for the dead into the afterlife). Carcass is real slick with the titles hehe

Right, no idea haha, cheers for the explanation :)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:26 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
e_ddi_e wrote:
New song. I like it.

I fuckin love it.

Yeah I dig it; the production is still slightly safe sounding maybe but that is a killer riff and it sounds like they put a lot of work into the writing. Looking forward to it.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:02 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/carcass-interview-torn-arteries-1206231/

Quote:
Torn Arteries ventures even more confidently across the Carcass palette, while throwing in new elements. For every white-knuckle thrash-meets-death-metal rager like the title track or “Under the Scalpel Blade,” there’s a left-field detour, like album centerpiece “Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment Limited,” which features a moody acoustic intro and a downtempo power-ballad-like Steer solo within its roomy yet gripping 10-plus-minute run time; “Wake Up and Smell the Carcass / Caveat Emptor,” built around a sly, decidedly swinging main riff; or “In God We Trust,” which features a peppy, FM-ready bridge complete with punctuating handclaps.

“There was no way on earth we were going to make a similar album to the previous one,” Steer says. “We’ve always tended to avoid that with this group anyway. It felt very important to bring something new and fresh because if Jeff or I are involved, given our history, and the way Dan approaches drumming, in my view, it’s always going to sound like Carcass. So you don’t need to be too neurotic about trying to repeat certain key elements of your style.”

Sounds excellent to me based on this. Great article too.

This is an excellent interview and they make it quite clear where they stand creatively. No Necrotism rehash anytime soon. I like their attitude towards writing, which is song oriented and to write something that will hook you in and have replayability. Cheers for that link.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:45 pm 

Yeah I was on record as disliking the last album, but in general I find that they're really killer writers and have always been astute at doing whatever they wanted creatively at whatever time. I respect that.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:33 am 

Runko wrote:

You just made my day.

https://youtu.be/x01l_jMhjVM?t=250
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:02 am 

So far so good, I love both tracks so this is looking great!

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:35 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
What is up with that guitar tone? It farts out when the palm mutes come in, especially in the intro riff. Did they not use an overdrive before the amp or something?

It sounds like to me they wanted to go for the darker tone perhaps inspired by Symphonies of Sickness, instead of the overly tight and smooth sound they had on Surgical Steel. That said, it's not a very aggressive tone unlike Symphonies, so that lack of tightness is perhaps working against it a bit. I thought it sounded fine in the power chords, but it gets buried and muddled in the fast single-note passages. 5/10.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:54 am 

I used to be a fkn huge Carcass fan, especially around 1989/1991
I liked the Kelly song! And the artwork is refreshing although I must say I wouldn't buy any merch hahaha
However I realy do not like 'Dance Of Ixtab'.

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 pm 

If my first impression is any indication, this might end up being my favourite Carcass album.

I know that is high praise, and maybe I'll cool off on it, but after one listen, I fucking love this. Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment Limited is a melo-death epic.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:12 am 

I think "Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment" has a few saggy riffs in the middle that let it down, but overall I agree, it's an epic arrangement.

This is a definite purchase. Album is fun and fresh, just like the cover art. : )

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:22 am 

Sitting down for it right now

https://open.spotify.com/album/7gLYRl6OVQjgsceV95XuUR

First impression: Hit or miss album. Outstanding moments as well as total snoozers

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Last edited by morbert on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:51 am 

Yeah loving this. It’s unpredictable and catchy and just what I needed right now.

Forever Underground
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:04 am 

I've only listened to it once so I don't want to exaggerate, but I felt it was an outstanding album.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 am 

I can really see myself spinning this album quite often for the rest of the year. Quality stuff!

mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:46 am 

On my second listen now, and I already like it better than on the first one. Overall it's better than I expected, I wasn't all that optimistic after hearing the singles.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:50 am 

Does anyone know who the producer/engineer was on this record?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 am 

jimbies wrote:
Does anyone know who the producer/engineer was on this record?

David Castillo - mixing and Jens Bogren - mastering.

Empyreal wrote:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am 

Absolutely love the way it sounds. Jeff still sounds amazing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 pm 

This is definitely more up my alley than the previous album was so far. Tight, aggressive, inventive riffs. The production sounds great.

"The Devil Rides Out" and "Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment Limited" are really impressive... lots going on.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:05 pm 

On my first listen and I'm liking it way more than Surgical Steel. Nothing wrong with that album but this one blows it out of the water imo.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:51 pm 

After 5 spins: 7/10

Impressive but with a few real stinkers. 'Dance of IXTAB', 'Eleanor Rigor Mortis' and 'The Devil Rides Out' are just boring as fuck to me.

However a masterpiece like 'Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment Limited' really makes up for those 'muzak' songs.

Impressive how this album has a face of its own, once again. They keep reinventing themselves

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:09 pm 

On first listen I enjoyed it but feel like I preferred Surgical Steel, although it's probably going to take a few more listens to really absorb.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:03 pm 

morbert wrote:
Impressive but with a few real stinkers. 'Dance of IXTAB', 'Eleanor Rigor Mortis' and 'The Devil Rides Out' are just boring as fuck to me.

However a masterpiece like 'Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment Limited' really makes up for those 'muzak' songs.

Horrible take morbert! 'muzak'? Uh...what?

The Devil Rides Out reminds me of Celtic Frost and I love the dramatic leads and mid-paced stance of it all. Ixtab is awesome too. Just because they're mid doesn't relegate them to muzak but different strokes....

I'd give 7/10 too because I find the entire album cohesive as a whole with no particular grabbing moments. Very, very solid but not a classic.

Empyreal wrote:

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:06 pm 

Video for "The Scythe's Remorseless Swing";

Empyreal wrote:

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:21 pm 

It has surprised me. A single listen and there are some quite good tracks, a really modern necroticistic feel. Just the first impression though, but good feelings. Finally, after Heartwork something valuable from this awesome band.

CONS - that Dance of IXTAB track is really horrible, I thought the album will be full of that filler, but pleasantly I admit that I was totally wrong

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:02 am 

morbert wrote:
Impressive but with a few real stinkers. 'Dance of IXTAB', 'Eleanor Rigor Mortis' and 'The Devil Rides Out' are just boring as fuck to me. However a masterpiece like 'Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment Limited' really makes up for those 'muzak' songs.
Horrible take morbert! 'muzak'? Uh...what?

Have a cookie. You enjoy your songs, I'll enjoy mine.

DMac77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:50 am 

Video for "The Scythe's Remorseless Swing";

Jeff is really morphing into Lemmy as he ages.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:17 pm 

I gave it a second listen today and didn't really make it all the way through. It's pretty docile, and I can't really remember any parts of it so far. I had zero expectations for this so I can't say I'm disappointed. I also really didn't care for "Surgical Steel," so that makes another Carcass album I'll ignore and just continue to listen to the first 4 instead.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next