Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:29 pm 

For one it isn’t available for download on iTunes, but of course the rest of their discography is available

So that leaves me with trying to get the physical copy of CD, so I check Amazon and Amazon says that the product is “currently unavailable” and that they do not know when they will get more!

Does anyone know where I can preferably get the MP3 downloads of the album - preferably from an official channel so I support the band? If not, anyone know where I can find a physical copy of the CD?

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:37 pm 

Had no idea it was hard to get. You could always monitor Discogs for a CD copy, I'm sure it's something that will pop up pretty frequently with a decent price. I know you didn't mention vinyl, so I assume its not a media you care for--but just in case, Back on Black keeps this release in print on wax and is very easy to get a hold of.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:56 pm 

I had it on cd 6 or 7 years ago and then traded it. Don't know what I was thinking.

Yeah, keep monitoring Discogs and eBay, you could get lucky, but it probably won't be cheap.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:22 am 

There are 81 copies for sale on discogs at this very moment

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:02 am 

Probably copyright reasons. I think that one was on some obscure hardcore label, that doesn’t exist anymore.

Commisaur wrote:
Does anyone know where I can preferably get the MP3 downloads of the album - preferably from an official channel so I support the band? If not, anyone know where I can find a physical copy of the CD?

Well, there are some Bolt Thrower albums on Bandcamp. However, from the band’s perspective these are not official! They are the Earache albums, and Earache hasn’t payed them a penny, since the 90s. I, personally, would not buy these.

The band’s official website has the text, of an interview, with the bassist, and she actually says that the band weren’t against illegal downloading. They considered it, like tape trading, to be acceptable, to an extent. I have all of their albums, and I got them this way. If you want to give them royalties, then buy the last two(which are on Metal Blade, who actually pays them). If illegal downloading is your only option, then know, that the band themselves approve.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:25 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I think that one was on some obscure hardcore label, that doesn’t exist anymore.

That would be Vinyl Solution. It wasn't all that obscure though it didn't exist very long. Small label but with releasing Bolt Thrower, Macabre, Cancer, Cerebral Fix, Bomb Disneyland, The Stupids, stuff etc they played their part. At that time Vinyl Sollution releases were easy to get here on the other side of the North Sea so their distribution was also pretty decent.
But as said, there are 81 copies up for sale on Discogs so plenty of options

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:32 am 

morbert wrote:

I just had a quick look and theres only 14 CDs tho bert (cause thats what OP wants) and damn some of those prices are bloody hefty. Its also been booted by the Russians, so you'd need to be careful about that too.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:47 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
morbert wrote:

I just had a quick look and theres only 14 CDs tho bert (cause thats what OP wants) and damn some of those prices are bloody hefty. Its also been booted by the Russians, so you'd need to be careful about that too.

Funny thing really how nineties CD versions are 4 or even 5 times as expensive as the 2011 gatefold vinyl reissue which was on Back On Black and I assume that was 100% legal.
But as said, there's plenty to choose from, it just comes to how much you want to spend on it.
MP3's can been found anywhere these days but not downloadable from the band themselves but perhaps he could email them, their @ is on their offical website.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:14 am 

The cheapest I could see (that I would trust) is $80NZ and thats before P&P and any other fees. As a comparison, a normal new CD from a store here costs between $20-$30NZ. Time for a reissue methinks.

TheAllNightRocker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:47 pm 

You can always listen to it on YouTube if nothing else

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:17 pm 

band's decision?

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 pm 

My guess is that the label paid for it and now the label is out of business, which makes the album out of print. Honestly, I'm surprised Earache or someone hasn't bought the rights... May be that the owner is now hard to reach.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:51 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
My guess is that the label paid for it and now the label is out of business, which makes the album out of print. Honestly, I'm surprised Earache or someone hasn't bought the rights... May be that the owner is now hard to reach.

Earache have had their own money troubles over the years and are largely irrelevant when it comes to metal these days. That said, reissues of the early Bolt Thrower stuff seems like the sort of cash cow they would be all over.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:25 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:

Earache have had their own money troubles over the years and are largely irrelevant when it comes to metal these days. That said, reissues of the early Bolt Thrower stuff seems like the sort of cash cow they would be all over.

They have been. They did 20th anniversary reissues. With remastering, even though the band was always against remastering, re-recording, compilations, and anything else they saw as a cash grab. All the stuff on Bandcamp is Earache, which the band makes no money off of.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 pm 

The last CD reissue was the one of Vinyl Solution. Like others said, it won't be cheap. The one I found is 20 Euros for new ones, and it's on Cult Never Dies. Which is, iirc, pretty legit, so it's the real deal. Here's the link: https://cultneverdies.myshopify.com/pro ... -no-law-cd

Since their first album wasn't released on Earache, like the following ones, the band would probably get royalties from you buying this off CND's shop. But I can't be sure. As for any of the following albums, except Mercenary, Honour - Valor - Pride, and Those Once Loyal, they are all owned by Earache, whom are stellar pieces of shit, and Bolt Thrower itself discourages buying any of their reissues, as they never approved of these and still don't see royalties for these releases. If you want these, do what I did and find second hand early issues of the albums. I actually managed to get my hands on the first edition of Realm of Chaos for a very cheap price somehow. I'm still not sure how that actually happened, hahaha!

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:45 am 

"Why is Bolt Thrower’s first album In Battle There is No Law so difficult to get a hold of?"

Gremlins!

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 am 

Never felt I'm missing anything without Bolt Thrower's debut album in my collection. Just skip to the better, more mature Realm of Chaos and you're good to go as far as Bolt Thrower's music is concerned; you won't find a better album in their discography anyways.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:27 pm 

^ In Battle there is No Law is by far my favorite Bolt Thrower release, along with The Peel Sessions. Mandatory listening in my opinion.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:48 pm 

Is it difficult to get a hold of though? Check discogs dude, there's always stuff for sale on their marketplace. NWN had reissue LPs for sale a few weeks ago and I bought a copy for myself, it's always good to be subbed to the NWN or Hell's Headbangers mailing list.

doomicus wrote:
^ In Battle there is No Law is by far my favorite Bolt Thrower release, along with The Peel Sessions. Mandatory listening in my opinion.

Agreed, Eternal War on The Peel Sessions happens to be my favourite thing ever from Bolt Thrower. Peel Sessions production is magic for every single artist that ever did them, both metal and non-metal.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:51 pm 

Jesus.
Before quarantine, I would go down to my local CD store and see it there every single time for $20, and this was for a few years too. I might just go back there and see if everyone else is still sleeping on it...

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:34 am 

doomicus wrote:

The Peels Sessions collection on tape in 92 was my introduction to Bolt Thrower and it was awesome. I find it very difficult to pick a favourite from their first 5 albums, tho Warmaster typically comes out on top if push comes to shove.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:02 pm 

Earache have a black vinyl copy for sale for $16.99 USD and a white marble vinyl for $22.99 but that latter one is a pre-order that comes out on Dec. 3rd. I'm debating getting the black one but I'm not sure if it comes with a download, which is the main issue for me. Earache have the rest of the band's albums on bandcamp so I'm hoping once the pre-order comes out they'll put it up there.

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:26 am 

This was recently officially reissued on LP. Not sure of the details.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:44 am 

I remember somewhere in between 2012-2017 hat I spotted IBTINL cd's for sale on a regular online mailorder. Can't remember from what version the reissue batch was, but I think it was the version that did not have the 'Side 1 / side B' tracklist on the back of the cd, so I assume that it was a reissue by Vinyl Solution, so when I tried to look for the cd a lil' bit later, it occured to me that this cd reissue was suddenly hard to find. Crap, so I just missed the train for this batch :brick: It kinda pissed me off, so I just said f* it I'll order the more expensive Silent Scream version then :nono: I hate gettin' teased and then being 'cut off' !! :lol: Kids, don't do what I did, stay away from angry impulse buys !!! :lol:

Reply to topic