Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:24 pm 

A band releases an album. It's not good. The style change isn't popular. A band sees the reactions, and adjusts accordingly. Their next album is back to basics and better received. I enjoy stuff like this. Elvenking releases "The Scythe," and they realize well shit people don't like it. Then their next albums were much improved. What are your favorite "just forget about that album" moments?

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:42 pm 

Motorhead - "Another Perfect Day."

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:03 pm 

Human Fortress decided to throw in a bunch of crappy modern groove and metalcore influences into their 3rd album Eternal Empire, which is universally hated by every self-respecting power metal fan to this very day, and then sees half the lineup quit to form another project to continue that style which nobody cares about, whereas the core of Human Fortress reforms itself with a few new members and makes a very much needed course correction with Raided Land, which is a full on return to their old sound with the exception of their original lead vocalist not being on it.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:24 pm 

Not a metal example, but Bad Religion are embarrassed by "Into the Unknown", their attempt at Rush-style prog rock. I do think they're better at punk rock, but I don't think it's really anything to be embarrassed about.

Also... y'know, Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake"... perhaps the most infamous example of that in metal.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:26 pm 

While Cryptopsy have always been an influence on deathcore, I feel like they suddenly reverted back to their brutal death/tech death ways after the horrible reception of Unspoken King/lukewarm reception among the nascent deathcore scene of the late 2000s. Apart from touring with long dead bands like Knights of the Abyss, have they played any recent sets with the album on it? They never touched it when I saw them with Obituary/Cannibal a while back. So yeah I think they regret that album a lot, lol

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:53 pm 

traxan wrote:
Motorhead - "Another Perfect Day."

:boo:

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:23 am 

Eradicatedseraphim wrote:
While Cryptopsy have always been an influence on deathcore, I feel like they suddenly reverted back to their brutal death/tech death ways after the horrible reception of Unspoken King/lukewarm reception among the nascent deathcore scene of the late 2000s. Apart from touring with long dead bands like Knights of the Abyss, have they played any recent sets with the album on it? They never touched it when I saw them with Obituary/Cannibal a while back. So yeah I think they regret that album a lot, lol

I don't remember which one it was, unfortunately, but there was an interview with Matt McGachy in which he mentioned that Chris Donaldson, the current guitarist, and one of the main songwriters on TUK hates the album, and for a while, had a lot of imposter syndrome, especially when Jon Levasseur came back for the self-titled.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:49 am 

Sadist put out the nu metal tinged Lego which contrasted quite a bit with they keyboard heavy prog/death sound, then they got terrible press and split up right after that.

Six years later they reunited and put out the self titled, much more in line with their older sound and it was their best received album.

At least they still consider their career-killer album a part of their discography, unlike bands like Massacre and Distruction that act like their worst albums never existed :lol:

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:18 am 

This doesn't happen as much as it probably should. It's nice to see when it does happen.

Celtic Frost are the obvious one. The world is a better place with everyone pretending Cold Lake doesn't exist.

Manowar did it with Louder Than Hell. They realised that The Triumph of Steel was ridiculous even by their standards, and reigned everything back in 4 years later. I'm not sure it's a better received record though.

Judas Priest with Screaming for Vengeance too. Point of Entry was a record that tried to straddle mainstream rock at the time, and it just came off weak and largely forgettable. Next year they dropped one of the best records and reinvigorated themselves in the process.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:21 am 

I think Destruction is the best example with Cannonball.

And Ozzy apparently has no love for Ultimate Sin.

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:25 am 

A B C D E F G H .... and that horrible I, followed by "back on the track" K

Morbid Angel

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:57 am 

Celtic Frost regretted and kept apologising for Cold Lake.

Judas Priest backtracked from Point Of Entry as noted above, then in the 90s I think the whole band (but especially Tipton) tried to pretend Turbo/Ram It Down had never happened. Then when Halford returned they tried to pretend the Ripper albums hadn't happened.

Metallica made the intentional fanservice of DM after the disaster of St. Anger.

Cathedral, or more specifically Lee Dorrian, seemed to regret Supernatural Birth Machine and would only play Stained Glass Horizon from it live. Which is a pity as it's actually an alright album.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:05 am 

Morbid Angel pivoting right back to normal death metal with Kingdoms Disdained after Illud Divinum Insanus had techno and industrial songs on it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:29 am 

Revolution DNA anybody?
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:26 am 

Terri23 wrote:

Manowar did it with Louder Than Hell. They realised that The Triumph of Steel was ridiculous even by their standards, and reigned everything back in 4 years later. I'm not sure it's a better received record though.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Regardless of your feelings of The Triumph of Steel, Louder Than Hell is hot garbage and by far the worst Manowar album ever (neglecting the re-recordings).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:46 am 

Floodland wrote:
Revolution DNA anybody?

I actually love Revolution DNA. It was the logical endgame for their increasingly gothic records of the 90s. In the spirit of the thread, though, Septicflesh seem to consider every album pre-Communion a "mistake" at this point, as they do nothing from before that album live anymore and haven't for years except for occasional one off performances of songs from Sumerian Daemons.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:27 pm 

Firmament1 wrote:

I don't remember which one it was, unfortunately, but there was an interview with Matt McGachy in which he mentioned that Chris Donaldson, the current guitarist, and one of the main songwriters on TUK hates the album, and for a while, had a lot of imposter syndrome, especially when Jon Levasseur came back for the self-titled.

TUK was the obvious choice for this thread, but, I have to mention about how the band acted during the album's release and initial backlash. They recorded someone doing a whiny voice complaining about the album, as if they were impersonating their fans, and would play this bit at the beginning of their sets. What a bunch of dickheads.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 pm 

I'm surprised Savatage hasn't been mentioned yet.

After they made a really bad sellout attempt with Fight for the Rock, they bounced back with their best album ever, Hall of the Mountain King.

The band has stated they are not proud of Fight for the Rock.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:12 pm 

Here is what I think is the only way to hear Cryptopsy's "Dinner Time" audio skit that orphy referred to. IIRC it was originally posted to their MySpace page back in the day, and that obviously isn't really around anymore, so you get it as a live intro before a mediocre performance of "Worship Your Demons" instead.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:40 pm 

Subrick wrote:
In the spirit of the thread, though, Septicflesh seem to consider every album pre-Communion a "mistake" at this point, as they do nothing from before that album live anymore and haven't for years except for occasional one off performances of songs from Sumerian Daemons.

This is a serious Greek tragedy...like, really! :(

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 pm 

orphy wrote:
Firmament1 wrote:

TUK was the obvious choice for this thread, but, I have to mention about how the band acted during the album's release and initial backlash. They recorded someone doing a whiny voice complaining about the album, as if they were impersonating their fans, and would play this bit at the beginning of their sets. What a bunch of dickheads.

That was a classic Flo moment and was totally the sort of thing he'd pull - the dude is about as close to a real-life Metalocalypse character as it gets and has to be one of the biggest fucking idiots in metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:53 pm 

That whole "time for dinner" stunt really put me off the band for ages. Thankfully I did finally go back and play NSV some more - what a great fucking album.

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:37 pm 

Helloween's Chameleon was.... yeah 'different' is one word.

NurseWitchWound
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:11 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Also... y'know, Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake"... perhaps the most infamous example of that in metal.

Cold Lake isn't even Celtic Frost's worst by far, At least Tom G. Warrior acknowlegdes it. I find it funny how many "celtic frost fans" don't even know about Prototype. Don't speak to Tom G. Warrior about Prototype ever hahahahahaha.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:19 pm 

Grave Digger with their "Digger" album.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:27 pm 

I don't remember where I read this, but I'm pretty sure either a current or former member of Deicide more or less admitted that their early 2000s albums (before Stench of Redemption) were shit and were only released to fulfill their record label obligations.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:29 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
That whole "time for dinner" stunt really put me off the band for ages. Thankfully I did finally go back and play NSV some more - what a great fucking album.

Ugh, yeah, just watching that video Subrick posted, what a bunch of fucking idiots. Imagine shitting on all your fans who got you there in the first place, after you decided to trend hop to a trend already past its expiry date. Cryptopsy was the first extreme metal band I got into in my teens, and I consider them to be really important to the development of both my taste and playing chops. Their fall from grace was certainly ugly.

mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:30 pm 

What about "Eat the Heat" by Accept? Not that is a terrible album, but it sure feels like they like to pretend it doesn't exist.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:36 pm 

orphy wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Ugh, yeah, just watching that video Subrick posted, what a bunch of fucking idiots. Imagine shitting on all your fans who got you there in the first place, after you decided to trend hop to a trend already past its expiry date. Cryptopsy was the first extreme metal band I got into in my teens, and I consider them to be really important to the development of both my taste and playing chops. Their fall from grace was certainly ugly.

I wouldn't call it a fall from grace, since they recovered quite well from this and actually released solid material afterward. But it surely was a low moment, emphasized by Flo Mounier's juvenile reaction to the criticism TUK received.

We have to assume he came back to his senses or that he at least understood how much of a misstep this was, because the band never played deathcore again, and they are basically completely avoiding TUK when playing live nowadays.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:12 pm 

NurseWitchWound wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:

Cold Lake isn't even Celtic Frost's worst by far, At least Tom G. Warrior acknowlegdes it. I find it funny how many "celtic frost fans" don't even know about Prototype. Don't speak to Tom G. Warrior about Prototype ever hahahahahaha.

To be fair, wasn’t it not intended to be shown to the public? Some of it became Celtic Frost and Triptykon songs, although as better versions, obviously. The “dagger and grail” rap song isn’t very good, but “hip hop jugend” is okay, as long as you understand it’s something out of the ordinary, like into the pandemonium. The Beatles cover is pretty bad.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:32 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Terri23 wrote:

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Regardless of your feelings of The Triumph of Steel, Louder Than Hell is hot garbage and by far the worst Manowar album ever (neglecting the re-recordings).

I agree with you. Personally speaking, it's easily my least favourite Manowar, and Triumph is one of my favorites. It does fit the thread description though.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:01 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
I don't remember where I read this, but I'm pretty sure either a current or former member of Deicide more or less admitted that their early 2000s albums (before Stench of Redemption) were shit and were only released to fulfill their record label obligations.

This was the case for In Torment In Hell.

Here's a quote from Steve Asheim (the drummer):

Quote:
I think that whole period was brought on by being burnt out, but not on music or the business, just burnt out on each other. I kind of always thought we were being kept down by our record company and stuff like that, but after we did In Torment [in Hell] and were finished with our deal and moved on to a great deal with Earache, we were still not up to 100%. By then, it was obvious to me that it wasn't the record company's fault, it was us, we were sick of each other. Well, basically, the Hoffmans and Glen were totally sick of and hated each other, and the quality of the band's work and the fans suffered for it

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:20 am 

Paradise Lost - Host

Hated it, they tried to be Depeche Mode, who I like but not what I wanted from Paradise Lost.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:07 am 

Cronos has publicly stated how much he hates Resurrection, which I still do not understand. Sure, sonically it's a lot different from Venom's catalog, but I love that record.

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 am 

jimbies wrote:
Cronos has publicly stated how much he hates Resurrection, which I still do not understand. Sure, sonically it's a lot different from Venom's catalog, but I love that record.

agreed. Strong record.

entzauberung
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Paradise Lost - Host

Hated it, they tried to be Depeche Mode, who I like but not what I wanted from Paradise Lost.

Dunno if that example fits the thread as they followed up Host with Believe in Nothing, which the band basically disowned later and I'd say is generally perceived as being a weaker album than Host.

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Paradise Lost - Host

PLost's catalog is largely hit or miss with me. The debut stunk, but "Gothic" is a landmark. "Shades of God" has some fine moments, but lacks in excitement.

"Icon" and "Draconian Times" are flawless, IMO.

"One Second" is great in its own right. But, as stated, 'Host' is lame, as are the few that followed it.

They seemed to right the ship in the mid '00s...."Faith Divides" and "Tragic Idol" are fantastic. But then they followed those with the supposed "return to roots" records, which are mostly boring....just too dull for me.

Frustrating band.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:42 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
orphy wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I wouldn't call it a fall from grace, since they recovered quite well from this and actually released solid material afterward. But it surely was a low moment, emphasized by Flo Mounier's juvenile reaction to the criticism TUK received.

We have to assume he came back to his senses or that he at least understood how much of a misstep this was, because the band never played deathcore again, and they are basically completely avoiding TUK when playing live nowadays.

That's fair, I didn't mind that Cryptopsy s/t but I haven't really sunk my teeth into those EPs they did later.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:04 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Paradise Lost - Host

As I recall, the band itself never regretted doing that album.

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:13 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:
Paradise Lost - Host

As I recall, the band itself never regretted doing that album.

I understand it doesn't exactly fit the criteria for this thread but after their experiment with digi-pop or whatever it is called, they did eventually go back to their heavy roots. I stopped listening to them after Host, regretted buying it and didn't return to them for almost a decade.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next