Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:11 am 

Quote:
First single off the new album "Mørkere" is out now!
Album will be out 12th of November 2021!!
For more details about pre-orders etc check out the link below:
The album is available for pre-order on CD, vinyl and as artbook, including a bonus track: http://lnk.spkr.media/dven-morkere

source: https://www.facebook.com/doldvorde

Here is the lyric video for the new song

My thoughts:
I don't recall ever seeing this band mentioned on this forum. I found them because they have two well-known figures from the Norwegian black metal scene involved. We have Haavard (known for the first three Ulver albums) and Vicotnik (probably best known from Dødheimsgard, Ved buens ende).

I really liked the new song. It's definitely on the gentler side of black metal, and fans of the first Ulver album Bergtatt, Alcest, Myrkur, Agalloch etc will find this song powerful. Haavard definitely steals the show with the gorgeous riffs. I was surprised to hear Vicotnik sing in pretty much the same style as Aldrahn did on the Dødheimsgard album Kronet til konge, it really fits the song.

I'm sure the rest of the album will be more diverse, as the EP from last year showed. This is about as close to a ballad black metal will get without crossing genre boundaries.

Your thoughts?

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:44 am 

Very good! Nice to see this band mentioned here - they've peaked my interest since learning that Haavard is doing black metal again. I wonder what drew him back to the genre, as after his stint in Ulver he was mainly doing pop rock from what I recall. Maybe those old roots were calling back to him.

Definitely getting some old Ulver vibes, particularly Hymne VI from Nattens Madrigal. Very nice progressions and riffs; I agree that it's on the gentler side but it's also not crossing into different territory, as you said. Still unquestionably black metal.

Vicotnik is an interesting vocalist. He definitely takes warming up to, kind of like Niklas from Shining - but Vicotnik isn't nearly as obnoxious. I would prefer his vocals to be mixed a bit quieter as they'd still stand out without being overbearing, but the rest of the production is still great and perhaps I'll get more used to Vicotnik's vocals over time.

Overall excited for the album, and glad it's coming out on a more major label! Hopefully Prophecy can help give them the exposure they deserve.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 pm 

New song + music video!

Again, very different from the music on the EP. The symphonic elements are gorgeous, I wonder if they are acoustic or synth. Either way, they're damn perfect. I wasn't very thrilled about the song after first listen, it felt like a lot of build up with no real payoff, but repeated listens reveal a subtle beauty and atmosphere.

Thoughts? I think this can have quite the appeal to many people. It's sort of "safe" black metal, but it's about as good it can get in that part of the genre.

brutaldeathdancepop
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:32 am 

Stoked for this, A Umbra Omega was fuckin sweet. This seems less proggier, more symphonic and more straightforward which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Wire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:45 pm 

Very happy to see the come back of the band of Vicotnik and Haavard. The EP was very good too. And with Prophecy Productions they will get a new exposition for sure. The vocals in norwegian are perfect for this kind of music and the riffs of Haavard are fantastic. This kind of black metal can remind me a little of Ved Buens Ende.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:59 pm 

raumr wrote:
New song + music video!

Again, very different from the music on the EP. The symphonic elements are gorgeous, I wonder if they are acoustic or synth. Either way, they're damn perfect. I wasn't very thrilled about the song after first listen, it felt like a lot of build up with no real payoff, but repeated listens reveal a subtle beauty and atmosphere.

Thoughts? I think this can have quite the appeal to many people. It's sort of "safe" black metal, but it's about as good it can get in that part of the genre.

It’s interesting, the first single gave me huge Bergtatt feels and the second way more of a Ved Buens Ende vibe. This is building to a must purchase, but overall I’m just so happy that this exists and that these musicians are putting this out. Really cool.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:07 pm 

I dug the EP they released back in 2019 and the full length looks like it'll continue with the eclectic black metal sound that release established. The two singles released so far are pretty different from one another in a good way.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:41 pm 

brutaldeathdancepop wrote:
Stoked for this, A Umbra Omega was fuckin sweet. This seems less proggier, more symphonic and more straightforward which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think Vicotnik wrote anything for this apart from vocals/lyrics. I believe it's Haavard's baby.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:50 pm 

That is true. Originally he was asked to provide lyrics, but ended up doing the vocals as well.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:32 am 

not blowing me away on first listen but i am drawn to it because of the members
will need to get a listen to the full album a few times on arrival

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:35 pm 

raumr wrote:
New song + music video!

I'll respectfully disagree with calling this "safe" as I wouldn't at all call it that. When I personally think of "safe" black metal I think of the typical genre conventions (blast/scissor beats, tremolo riffs, barre chords, typical song structure, etc.), and the song structuring here feels very atypical. But in a good way! The symphonics are indeed beautiful, and I love the build ups and subtle trudging feel that the composition has. Very peculiar and intriguing. Getting more excited for this record! Haavard is a gem and I'm stoked he's writing black metal again.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:27 am 

I don't really hear any of the avant garde sounds Ved Buens Ende or Dødheimsgard has, definitely doesn't sound like Vicotnik compositions, but still sounds promising.

Wire
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:39 am 

This second song is so beautiful. Haavard is very talented. The parts of symphonic are huge. The video is very well done also. This is great art for sure. I hope Dold Vorde Ens Navn will play live very soon. It depends on the calendar of Vicotnik, Haavard and the others.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:15 pm 

Fyi, apparently Dodheimsgard are hitting the studio next month. They posted a short rehearsal snippet (just guitar and keys) on their Facebook and it actually sounded rather Burzum-ish.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:38 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Fyi, apparently Dodheimsgard are hitting the studio next month. They posted a short rehearsal snippet (just guitar and keys) on their Facebook and it actually sounded rather Burzum-ish.

Thanks for the headsup. Snippet sounds great, I'm stupidly excited for that album, A Umbra Omega was incredible.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:09 pm 

The third single is out:

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:35 pm 

I spoke to Vicotnik when the EP was released, he said that Haavard wrote some riffs that sounded like they where frozen in time from his time in Ulver. Haavard wrote the music on the EP and Vicotnik wrote the lyrics and vocal line. That might be different on the album, but I think Vicotnik is busy writing music for Ved Buens Ende and Dödheimsgard.

I enjoyed the EP, I will check out the album when it is released, and form an opinion then.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:59 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
The third single is out

Very strange video. Vicotnik really went for that "homeless guy that just crawled out of the sewer" look.

The song itself is great though. Especially the sung chorus was very beautiful, and the riff immediately after the first acoustic part was epic as hell.

Based on the 3 songs it seems the album will be softer and more melodic than the EP.

Reply to topic