Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lissart
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Starspawn
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:34 pm 
 

Host is good, guys, it doesn't belong in this thread. It wasn't their best record, but it's so different from the rest of their oeuvre that it's really a breath of fresh air! And they still do So Much Is Lost (the album opener) live, saw it last Thursday when they played here in Poland.

Believe in Nothing is generally considered their weakest link, however, still an enjoyable one. They never said they hated the album; they were merely disappointed with the production it had. It was also a very tumultuous period for the band. 3 years ago they remixed the album and even played its lead single, Mouth, live at a couple of gigs. A good album hindered by its production, but it's nowhere near being horrible.

A quote from PL's vocalist:

"It's no secret that we were never entirely happy with the production on this record, despite really liking the songs. It's been a long time coming, but we finally found the right moment to go back into the studio with Gomez (Orgone Studios) and play around with it. We hope you all enjoy the remixed version so you can hear how the songs were meant to sound." – Nick Holmes

Top
 Profile  
entzauberung
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:49 am
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:35 am 
 

Lissart wrote:
Host is good, guys, it doesn't belong in this thread. It wasn't their best record, but it's so different from the rest of their oeuvre that it's really a breath of fresh air! And they still do So Much Is Lost (the album opener) live, saw it last Thursday when they played here in Poland.

Believe in Nothing is generally considered their weakest link, however, still an enjoyable one. They never said they hated the album; they were merely disappointed with the production it had. It was also a very tumultuous period for the band. 3 years ago they remixed the album and even played its lead single, Mouth, live at a couple of gigs. A good album hindered by its production, but it's nowhere near being horrible.

A quote from PL's vocalist:

"It's no secret that we were never entirely happy with the production on this record, despite really liking the songs. It's been a long time coming, but we finally found the right moment to go back into the studio with Gomez (Orgone Studios) and play around with it. We hope you all enjoy the remixed version so you can hear how the songs were meant to sound." – Nick Holmes


Maybe they've softened their stance with time, but I've read some very harsh statements from PL about BIN in the past. It has a few good songs though, absolutely.

Top
 Profile  
EndorphinMachine
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri May 28, 2021 9:18 am
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:08 am 
 

NurseWitchWound wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Also... y'know, Celtic Frost's "Cold Lake"... perhaps the most infamous example of that in metal.


Cold Lake isn't even Celtic Frost's worst by far, At least Tom G. Warrior acknowlegdes it. I find it funny how many "celtic frost fans" don't even know about Prototype. Don't speak to Tom G. Warrior about Prototype ever hahahahahaha.

Thank you very, very much for this. Hip Hop Jugend is my new all time favorite song.

Top
 Profile  
traxan
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:52 pm
Posts: 1258
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:50 pm 
 

Surprised no on mentioned Slayer's "Diabolous in Musica." Kerry has disowned it, calling it "Our Turbo."

Top
 Profile  
draconiondevil
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Posts: 201
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 pm 
 

traxan wrote:
Surprised no on mentioned Slayer's "Diabolous in Musica." Kerry has disowned it, calling it "Our Turbo."


Turbo at least has some worthwhile moments imo.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7080
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:25 pm 
 

Stratovarius' self-titled was so bad that it caused Timo Tolkki to be booted out. And then they followed it up with Polaris, which featured the band fully invigorated.
_________________
Something interesting goes here.
...Aww, who am I kidding? Nothing interesting has ever gone here.

Top
 Profile  
traxan
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:52 pm
Posts: 1258
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:07 am 
 

Well now be fair. Tolki had just had a massive mental breakdown. How he even made that record is something of a miracle.

But yes, Matthias was a breath of fresh air.

Top
 Profile  
Ravenlord266
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:18 pm
Posts: 1402
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:19 am 
 

traxan wrote:
Well now be fair. Tolki had just had a massive mental breakdown. How he even made that record is something of a miracle.

But yes, Matthias was a breath of fresh air.


That's no excuse. Anyone involved in production that heard "Maniac Dance" for the first time should have done their God given duty and pressed delete on that entire thing. Jeez.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Kalaratri
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm
Posts: 1272
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:02 am 
 

traxan wrote:
Well now be fair. Tolki had just had a massive mental breakdown. How he even made that record is something of a miracle.

But yes, Matthias was a breath of fresh air.


Tolkki to me always seemed to have a very idiosyncratic personality, so it's not surprising that his mental breakdown resulted in the album being what it was. At least he's in a better mental state now.

To stay on topic, how about Desultory and Swallow the Snake? They broke up after that album, a couple members played stoner metal in Zebulon, and then when they reformed they went back to their original sound.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: camjr01, Google [Bot], Waltz_of_Ghouls and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group