Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SkankFistOGwet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 am 

I buy plenty of album art/shirt design shirts which are fine, but generally I prefer simple band logo shirts which seem super rare in comparison. I really don't get why, especially considering it would be easier to make in the first place. Am I in the minority of this situation? I just want a green Broken Hope logo shirt without the shitty cover art, or big dumb phrase spelled out in the back.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:04 am 

Yeah, I think you're in the minority here. I don't think I'd buy a shirt with just the logo.

hallowed78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:21 am 

I prefer the logo only shirts (and the minimalistic graphic design ones), because I can wear them to work. True, not a lot of bands have them on offer, but looking through my wardrobe, I've got plenty of those that I managed to pick up in various concerts.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:54 am 

Looking through EBay, I notice a lot more logo-only shirts than there used to be. They don't look good on the overweight such as me though. But if you can wear logo shirts to work, I'm sure you can wear regular metal shirts as long as it is not a gory or sexist front picture. I will be wearing Decrepit Birth -...As Time Begins shirt to work today - not offensive at all. Don't try a Butchered or Tomb of the Mutilated shirt though obviously!

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:01 am 

As I get older, I tend to gravitate more towards logo-only shirts. They're just easier to wear out, and I also think a lot of metal art, while amazing, is not something I want to advertise to people.

I started searching for logo-only shirts a while back and did find some for bands like Necrophobic and Unleashed, but I agree that I rarely see them and would definitely be more likely to buy a shirt from a band like that.

It's funny how I've come full circle in my band shirts: starting out as a kid I wanted whatever I could get my hands on, then I wanted only tour shirts, then only festival shirts, then only event-specific shirts from bands, and now I just want a plain logo shirt :lol:

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:30 am 

i haven't really noticed this to be a thing - i have at least mayhem, demilich, and napalm death as logo only shirts, tho' i often gravitate towards graphic shirts

of course some dm/bm bands' logos are such a mess that a logo only shirt would be a bit weird

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:39 am 

I used to buy a lot of logo shirts, but gradually I've been ejecting them from my wardrobe. These days I pretty much only buy t-shirts with artwork on 'em, and preferably with print on both sides.

Eternal_sunset
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:25 am 

Maybe because on a large scale it's not as profitable as shirts with both logo and artwork. Actually it's odd to find the kind you're looking for (at least where I live).
The only shirt I was lucky enough to find with a logo alone was a Rammstein one (which at the same time portrays my country's flag colours, much rarer, plus the fact it was not from a tour neither).
I could mutilate my own body and run around in the sewer eating barbequed rats while snorting heroin and drinking my own blood and it would all be very very sick but not "serious" IMO

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:38 pm 

I know it sucks. I used to buy a bunch of logo only shirts from unique leader records but it seems even they dont offer much of them anymore. When I was in high school i used to think it was awesome to wear my "Butchered at Birth", "Gore Metal", "Chainsaw Dismemberment" shirts, now as an adult I'd prefer just blend in and not draw attention to myself all the while still representing artists I like. I'm just not about being flashy anymore, I have the "bring your children let me kill them" Deeds of Flesh shirt and its pretty much just a gym shirt now, their black shirt with the white logo on the front I can wear whenever I want, much better.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:13 pm 

I think logo-only shirts are usually far superior to anything else. Album art can be amazing but I think it often looks a little bit tacky on a shirt especially if they've done nothing to make it fit the medium. If it's just a square of the album art that's a big no-no. If they also add 10 tiny logos on the sleeves on the long sleeves its even worse.

I only usually prefer logo only and nothing else. Nothing on the back, nothing on the sleeves. It's just a lot nicer and cleaner as far as the design goes. There are exceptions of course but this is my general rule.
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:36 pm 

Definitely a minimalist fan. Just the other day was trying to get that Emperor "icon E" shirt which I love but can never find in the States. Settled for Emptiness' "Meat Heart" which doesn't have a lot going on. Also I hate rectangles, as mentioned above.

About a week ago I saw a grown woman in Publix wearing the "Jesus is a cunt" tee and I truly felt all forty eight of my years creaking in my bones.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:47 pm 

I find that logo shirts definitely don't sell as well as shirts with cool art and designs. I've gone through multiple runs of other designs while logo shirts just sit in our bins for years in my band.

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:23 pm 

I really like shirts or hoodies with only logos and several of those (of most notorious bands in every genre) are free on the internet. One can use Vector Magic (a very useful small software) which creates instant vectors from images OR there are fonts available which have bands logos as characters. For examples, I founded even Abazagorath on one of these fonts. Then, find someone who works on the signs or embroidery industry. You can make whatever you'd like by your own, hoodies or shirts.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:40 pm 

If more people bought them, more bands would make them. It's that simple. There are plenty of bootleggers on ebay that make them or offer custom designs if you send the logo, though.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:42 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
About a week ago I saw a grown woman in Publix wearing the "Jesus is a cunt" tee and I truly felt all forty eight of my years creaking in my bones.

That guy definitely has an acquired clothing taste, that's for sure.

Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:06 pm 

I don't even have a problem with logo only shirts it's kind of lame people are like "oh its harder to wear them out" spare me that lame shit please, I'm wearing a Severed Survival shirt with all graphic detail fully intact right now, and I could give a shit less what anyone thinks about it, I've complained about it before, but I think it's fucking lame as shit to try to make metal more palatable to a bunch of people that don't fuckin get it. In my opinion fuck them.

Contributing to the thread somewhat, I don't particularly care for logo only shirts I like to have artwork not cuz I need everyone to be repulsed, tho I like that too lol, but just because I love seeing the true artwork of an album I'm wearing the shirt for, and Just the logo robs that for me. I don't care about work, I work at fuckin mcdonald's on the overnight shift, I got a shirt for that lol.

Perhaps.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 pm 

orphy wrote:
I find that logo shirts definitely don't sell as well as shirts with cool art and designs. I've gone through multiple runs of other designs while logo shirts just sit in our bins for years in my band.

Exactly this, we've found logo only shirts significantly harder to sell out. Sure we sell a few here and there, but people more often than not levitate towards the fuller designs

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:46 pm 

Logo-only shirts tend to be a thing that smaller bands focus on. I remember years back wanting an Odious Mortem shirt so bad, but all they had was a logo tee (and I would've been so down for some Cryptic Implosion artwork). Still got it, of course, but a logo-only tee feels so...low rent, I guess?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:35 pm 

Black shirt.
White logo.

That's all I need. Unfortunately, it seems that that's rare. I don't know who is buying these hilariously tacky t-shirts with massive detailed art plastered onto them, but they appear to sell well for some reason. It's even "better" when the shirt just has the album artwork slapped on it with some design filling the space around it, so the art just awkwardly sits in this big-ass square.

Honestly, given it's generally older fanbase I would have expected metal to generally have more minimalist/"mature" merch designs than, like, -core.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:44 pm 

Yeah, usually the only place bands will have those is when they're on tour because they will want to have a few different designs and, by end of tour, they've usually blown through MOST of their merch they got before they went on the road.

A lot of online merch companies require bands to do a minimum order of shirts that sit in the warehouse and get shipped when people buy them... So if you're a band and you see that you don't sell a lot of certain kinds of merch, then you wouldn't want to pay for them and then just have them sitting around the warehouse collecting dust.

So, imo, it's definitely a supply-and-demand thing but, when I was younger, I was also more interested in those designs and I'd find them at shows.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:21 am 

now one particular band shirt type i crave, and seldom find is shirts in any colour other than black - especially ones that aren't white either. i've managed to get one red demilich shirt and one green metallica one, but that's it; the rest are black or white (and even white ones aren't very common)

of course i could find a bunch online, but i only buy band shirts from gigs, so this has been a problem

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:59 am 

joppek wrote:
now one particular band shirt type i crave, and seldom find is shirts in any colour other than black - especially ones that aren't white either. i've managed to get one red demilich shirt and one green metallica one, but that's it; the rest are black or white (and even white ones aren't very common)

of course i could find a bunch online, but i only buy band shirts from gigs, so this has been a problem

Man I wish more bands did coloured shirts, but I also get that it's not for everyone and that most bands would end up sitting on 'em for a while.
I've got a few sand-coloured and yellow shirts (as well as a few white and red ones), and they're awesome. A friend of mine has a bootleg Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos grey shirt that looks super dope

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 am 

The only place I saw that was selling logo shirts was the German Nuclear Blast online store and there wasn't much of it, it was mostly on sale for a discount. I guess the demand for it isn't as high as the normal shirts with the graphic design.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 am 

Shame this minimalist kind of shirts isn't as popular, indeed.
Though most of my top bands are semi-dead at best and don't sell anything anymore anyway... so I'm honestly thinking about doing my own embroidering, acrylics and other handicrafts lol - I used to be good at that sort of thing.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:19 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
DeathfareDevil wrote:

That guy definitely has an acquired clothing taste, that's for sure.

We need a "Dani Filth is a cunt" shirt seriously.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:20 pm 

joppek wrote:

Middle-aged, fat guys do look much better in black though!

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:22 pm 

Vadara wrote:
Black shirt.
White logo.

That's all I need. Unfortunately, it seems that that's rare. I don't know who is buying these hilariously tacky t-shirts with massive detailed art plastered onto them, but they appear to sell well for some reason. It's even "better" when the shirt just has the album artwork slapped on it with some design filling the space around it, so the art just awkwardly sits in this big-ass square.

Honestly, given it's generally older fanbase I would have expected metal to generally have more minimalist/"mature" merch designs than, like, -core.

I've seen a lot of those seriously on EBay, I don't like them, but I have seen a lot of them.

Reply to topic