Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am 

The effects-laden guitar in the intro and slow sections is really sweet, but it's not used enough and doesn't really develop into anything.

I love the upbeat section after the first chorus, and if the whole song were that energetic I'd probably dig it. Alas, I can't get into that chorus - it's too long, it doesn't go anywhere, and they repeat it like fifteen fucking times at the end...

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 pm 

I'm pretty in on this one. They wrote something LaBrie can actually sing, which is half the battle with DT these days. Guitar work is pretty inspired, too. I really think Petrucci's reinvented himself as a master of melodic phrasing the last two albums (and his solo album). He's not leaning into the shred stuff anymore. I like that the song stays fairly cerebral but doesn't push anyone past their limits. And it's one of the shorter ones, so I expect we'll see some more muscle-flexing elsewhere, anyway.

This album might be shaping up to be my favorite of the Mangini era, though that's not really a high bar. I'll be happy if it's on par with Black Clouds, and will be thrilled if it exceeds it.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:03 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
The second single is out:

I'm surprised to see Mangini playing a kit with a comparatively small amount of pieces and comparatively short cymbal height.

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:48 am 

Would assume that's just for ease of filming purposes, but who knows.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm 

It's leaked and it's better than Distance Over Time I can tell you that much.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:58 pm 

Yeah, it's the best thing in the Mangini era. Have to give the last two tracks more of a listen to figure them out, and Transcending Time is the most boring Rush knockoff they've ever done, but the first 4 songs are pretty damn strong. Answering the Call and Sleeping Giant are exactly the sort of things this band should've been doing for the last decade--playing to their strengths while keeping things interesting and fairly novel.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:37 pm 

I'm listening to it and the Sneap mix is easily my least favorite thing about it so far. Everything sounds so weak. The kick drum and the drums in general sound like something from a cheap metal drum machine plugin, and the guitars are mixed low and have a neutered tone. A major step backward from the massive mix of Distance Over Time, I think.

At least Labrie doesn't seem to be doing any vocal acrobatics that are beyond his current ability. (He still does the thing where every vowel turns to an A when he goes into his high range, though)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3