Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lordcatfish
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 920
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:12 am 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Black Label Society's Hangover Music: Volume VI has virtually no metal on it, it's mostly acoustic.

Both of Zakk's solo albums are in a similar vein. Both great albums (particularly the first one), but not metal. Definitely one of those 'solo project of interest' type deals.
_________________
last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Sokaris
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:33 am
Posts: 1185
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:01 am 
 

Devil Doll is absolutely not a heavy metal band and I believe they kind of get allowed to be here on the merit of being absolutely fucking amazing.
_________________
Ascended Master- What Was ...And What Shall Be Again Official Stream

Top
 Profile  
Unity
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 pm
Posts: 1830
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:32 am 
 

I find it interesting no one has mentioned Martial Industrial bands like Arditi and Puissance. Also darkwave like Dark Sanctuary and Dargaard.
_________________
Stand rigid for the next battle,
Peace means reloading your guns

Top
 Profile  
Lythronax
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:54 pm
Posts: 70
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:31 pm 
 

Die Krupps has many completely non-metal releases.

Top
 Profile  
Bingewolf
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:59 pm
Posts: 739
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:48 pm 
 

Underoath is actually awesome... I think a lot of us rule them out because of them being christcore. But their music is really cool! And I've seen them live on festivals and they are monsters on stage. Really good stuff. Total respect.

Unity wrote:
I find it interesting no one has mentioned Martial Industrial bands like Arditi and Puissance. Also darkwave like Dark Sanctuary and Dargaard.


When you bring up darkwave, as much as I like Mortiis, he's not metal.

Top
 Profile  
DeadKid
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:51 am
Posts: 320
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 pm 
 

Floodland wrote:
Due to the fact the archives are band based and not album based, there's an inherent problem when bands become non metal during the course of time and each band's career, the longer it is, the more prone it is to releasing non metal stuff. What can you do?

I disagree that it's a problem. The site intends to document bands that made at least one metal album, so it's succeeding at that and it's good to be able to look those bands up and see their whole discography. However, I noticed it's not always clear which albums actually got a band accepted, so might be worth a suggestion.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
doing that thing where he drags the guts of his premise across sandpaper for their entire intestinal length before wiping his keyboard with it

Top
 Profile  
Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:07 am
Posts: 183
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:24 am 
 

Lucifer's Friend comes to mind.

They're one the archive basically for two albums, one from 1970 that's Sabbath/Zeppelin-flavored first-wave metal (I would genuinely consider it heavy metal, not proto-metal), and one from 1981 that was Rainbow-flavored NWOBHM.
Literally 95% of their other material before and after is prog/AOR/70s pop rock. In most cases, not even REMOTELY metal no matter how much you stretch it. In some cases, heavy for what it is, but not metal.

Goes from this

To this

Top
 Profile  
coupdebleus
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:11 pm
Posts: 81
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 am 
 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Are there any examples of bands on here with 2 or more metal albums where their later non-metal albums have simply been excluded from their page? Because if so, I haven't seen any

Sloth
_________________
Hellige - Black/Doom Metal | New LP Camino de agua coming out on 10/10/21
Now on instagram too!

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2583
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:12 am 
 

Firmament1 wrote:
Devin Townsend. Most of his albums are metal, but there are also his ambient works like Devlab, and Hummer. There's also Ghost, which is about as far away from metal as you can get.


Ki is another of his that focuses on the lighter aspects of his sound.

Top
 Profile  
camjr01
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm
Posts: 108
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:01 pm 
 

coupdebleus wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Are there any examples of bands on here with 2 or more metal albums where their later non-metal albums have simply been excluded from their page? Because if so, I haven't seen any

Sloth


Wait how did I forget about Sloth? Not too long ago they had the most releases on the entirely of the archives purely due to their daily stream of useless "harsh noise music" singles. This thread's topic might as well have been made for them, given how tailored it is to their situation, yet they still didn't get brought up until the second page, not even in my rather comprehensive list.

Probably because their +2,000 singles of pure tv static are so inconsequential and useless that no one cares to (or even wants to) remember them.
_________________
Stagnation begins when you stop trying to improve

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Top
 Profile  
SD Plissken
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 118
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:52 pm 
 

Beherit.
_________________
Call me "Snake".

Top
 Profile  
Everflowingstream
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:29 am
Posts: 557
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:55 pm 
 

As long as the owners keep Europe out I think they don’t really care.

Top
 Profile  
Metal Shark
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am
Posts: 561
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 am 
 

Yuli Ban wrote:
Lucifer's Friend comes to mind.

They're one the archive basically for two albums, one from 1970 that's Sabbath/Zeppelin-flavored first-wave metal (I would genuinely consider it heavy metal, not proto-metal), and one from 1981 that was Rainbow-flavored NWOBHM.
Literally 95% of their other material before and after is prog/AOR/70s pop rock. In most cases, not even REMOTELY metal no matter how much you stretch it. In some cases, heavy for what it is, but not metal.

Goes from this

To this


From early metal to pomp rock! :eek:

Top
 Profile  
draconiondevil
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Posts: 199
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:17 am 
 

aloof wrote:
obligatory Paradise Lost mention, My Dying Bride's Evinta and Quorthon's solo albums...

latter day Alcest, Anathema.


Oh yeah as someone who has just recently got into Paradise Lost, albums like Host are most certainly not metal. It's crazy to me that they can go from a death/doom masterpiece like Gothic to Host in under a decade! Doesn't even sound like the same band. Their discography kind of goes in a cycle because now they're back basically playing death/doom again. No complaints from me.

Top
 Profile  
VaderCrush
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:05 am
Posts: 93
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:57 pm 
 

I love Faith No More but outside of The Real Thing and a few moments on Angel Dust if you really stretch they aren't metal.

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 1000
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:02 pm 
 

VaderCrush wrote:
I love Faith No More but outside of The Real Thing and a few moments on Angel Dust if you really stretch they aren't metal.


While I'm not so sure they are metal either and they are one of my all time favorite bands, King For a Day Fool For a Lifetime also has some very heavy tracks that I think could possibly qualify as some sort of alternative rock-based metal.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kalaratri, LithoJazzoSphere, Malbordus and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group