avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am 

satanized?

Coastliner wrote:
aloof wrote:
2. former mental hospital patient takes new role as Fred Astaire

I would have said Psychotic Waltz… but it doesn't fit grammatically. :fuck:

no, it's correct :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

once again super thanks for doing these revisions, sadly they always fall at the bottom of the page :/

so here's an updated list with clues:

follows shipwrecks and does not allow dishonour
the riddle combines the band's name with their 2nd album title. am really surprised no one got it, as said album is considered a classic, and the band is fairly well known for providing a replacement band member to a super big band...

extremish gardening with fast dude
the riddle combines the band's name with one of their members' nickname. not fast eddie clarke! c'mon, ppl!

fellowship of cheap beers
change the fellowship into a synonym and it will take you 3 miliseconds to get it, even if you don't know that's where they got their name from...

here's another image riddle... super easy if you're a fan

Spoiler: show

that's a character from a well-loved children's book series. he eats all the time and gets grease on his school materials. I met the band's mainman in london (not an english band tho) and asked him if thats where he got the name from and he said no. but he smiled a lot. cheeky ba**erd! the books and the band originate from the same country.

one of the greek gods' choice of footwear
oh come on! frodo has hairy feet. which greek god has a special kind of lower limbs? the waterboys wrote a song about him...

jack the ripper had one, but it wasn't made there
little is known about jack, but there's no contesting he carried this one item on his person. once you get the word right (and there's only like 2 options), the band name will come to you if you're even remotely a NWOBHM fan...

///
att: Coastliner
in a totally friendly manner of speech, I'd venture your riddles wouldn't get solved by postgrad students with dissertations on Tolkien studies, either :/ :D

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:03 am 

Nuclear missiles, skeletons, and really fast solos.

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:39 am 

The_Grindcrusher wrote:

Destruction?

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:14 pm 

SmallPoxie wrote:
The_Grindcrusher wrote:

Destruction?

Never heard of them, they sound interesting.

But no I'm not talking about Destruction.

Coastliner
Metal newbie

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:22 pm 

aloof wrote:
the riddle combines the band's name with their 2nd album title. am really surprised no one got it, as said album is considered a classic, and the band is fairly well known for providing a replacement band member to a super big band...

Flotsam and Jetsam, No Place for Disgrace. :crash: :crash:

aloof wrote:
change the fellowship into a synonym and it will take you 3 miliseconds to get it, even if you don't know that's where they got their name from...

Saint Vitus. :crash:

(No, this ain't simple! Because you have to know a couple of beer brands that are regarded as "cheap", and you have to realise that words like "fellowship" or "company" aren't part of the band name. :crash: )

aloof wrote:
oh come on! frodo has hairy feet. which greek god has a special kind of lower limbs? the waterboys wrote a song about him...

Not only one song but really a handful. One of my favourite bands, The Waterboys. :violin: :violin: :headbang:

Anyway, it's Cloven Hoof.

aloof wrote:
little is known about jack, but there's no contesting he carried this one item on his person. once you get the word right (and there's only like 2 options), the band name will come to you if you're even remotely a NWOBHM fan...

Tokyo Blade. :crash:

aloof wrote:
att: Coastliner
in a totally friendly manner of speech, I'd venture your riddles wouldn't get solved by postgrad students with dissertations on Tolkien studies, either :/ :D

There are several riddles that are just deliberately designed to look cryptic, although they aren't, e.g. if the task is to guess or choose a season, it's just a simple multiple choice thing (after all, there are only four seasons), and people who only know the movies only need to remember the dominant colours in a specific scene etc. (Which colours are dominant in the Rivendell scenes => season; who or what are Abaddon, Incubus and Pazuzu in our real world's mythologies? => answer => one riddle nearly solved.) Riddle No. 7 is just historical prog metal knowledge. Much of the rest is either puns, padding, or sneaky hints or obvious stuff, i.e. I really don't think that you need to be an expert on Middle-earth to find the solution. E.G. "ancient debris" or "architectural remnants" => roughly the same in other (very obvious) words => solution. You don't need to have read a single word by Tolkien to make a good guess and solve that one. The last riddle – that's a different matter – but the bonus clue somehow gives everything away... :-D :wink: .)

Last edited by Coastliner on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:26 pm 

The_Grindcrusher wrote:

...Fatal Violence?

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:11 pm 

aloof wrote:
satanized?

no

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:22 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
aloof wrote:

Flotsam and Jetsam, No Place for Disgrace. :crash: :crash:

aloof wrote:

Saint Vitus. :crash:

(No, this ain't simple! Because you have to know a couple of beer brands that are regarded as "cheap", and you have to realise that words like "fellowship" or "company" aren't part of the band name. :crash: )

aloof wrote:

Not only one song but really a handful. One of my favourite bands, The Waterboys. :violin: :violin: :headbang:

Anyway, it's Cloven Hoof.

aloof wrote:

Tokyo Blade. :crash:

Flots, Cloven and Tokyo B are correct.

the band that isn't Saint Vitus is sometimes (mis)labelled doom as well. not for me, though. and not on the archives, either...

Coastliner wrote:

you're thinking abt it the wrong way. brands dont matter. its another way to indicate cheap beers stateside. concentrate on the clue. whats another word for fellowship?

///

ok, I cheated and used the search function for the only horse name i remember from lotr and i facepalmed :D

Coastliner wrote:
07 instrumentalised a horse
* Clue (without the cryptic pun above): A band that wrote an instrumental track about a horse in "The Lord of the Rings". Genre: power/progressive metal (according to Metal Archives).

is Fates Warning! :D

The_Grindcrusher wrote:

Vektor? Sacral Rage? Agent Steel? Gama Bomb? am I close or somewhere else entirely? hint or clue, pls :)

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:34 am 

Just call me Snaggletooth.

Coastliner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:39 am 

aloof wrote:
you're thinking abt it the wrong way. brands dont matter. its another way to indicate cheap beers stateside. concentrate on the clue. whats another word for fellowship?

- way to indicate cheap beers stateside: no idea. :scratch:
- another word for fellowship: well, the synonyms that come to mind don't ring a bell. :(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

aloof wrote:
[…]
the band that isn't Saint Vitus is sometimes (mis)labelled doom as well. not for me, though. and not on the archives, either...
[...]

Unholy mum of Grendel and the Sinking Samurai! :crash: :evil: :crash:

My very first association (without knowing anything about cheap beers) when you first posted that riddle was:

Black Label Society

But that was just a random association because I thought "BL" => whisky. :durr:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aloof wrote:
ok, I cheated and used the search function for the only horse name i remember from lotr and i facepalmed :D

Coastliner wrote:
07 instrumentalised a horse
* Clue (without the cryptic pun above): A band that wrote an instrumental track about a horse in "The Lord of the Rings". Genre: power/progressive metal (according to Metal Archives).

is Fates Warning! :D

:nods: Indeed!

Search engines are absolutely allowed! (At least I hope so. On the forking path to infinite wisdom that led me to the dead end "Saint Vitus" I must have googled a tree dead. :cry: )

Re: my riddle No. 10: Come on, you know the solution! :) If the band name isn't Medieval Torture Device – what could it be? (And no, it can't be Iron Maiden because they didn't release an album in '78, and there's no song about a season on their debut. But Maiden is very, very close!)

traxan wrote:

Motörhead?

HorrorMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:06 am 

The_Grindcrusher wrote:

This is probably wrong but oh well. Megadeth?

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:29 am 

Here's one of mine:

A person who investigates and determines the cause of death.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:48 am 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Here's one of mine:

Coroner?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:20 pm 

Black Label Society is correct, doof... err, I mean, dear friend :)

Motorhead, Megadeth and Coroner must be correct too...

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:00 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
traxan wrote:

Motörhead?

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:07 am 

"a song for all the ladies out there", or I could just say the word of their 2006 album (one word, sums up about everything).

Coastliner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:30 am 

aloof wrote:
4. before it breaks completely

Last Crack?

(I've completely forgotten about them as I couldn't get into their first two albums back then. They were weird but in a weird way.)

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:37 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Gas_Snake wrote:
Here's one of mine:

Coroner?

Correct.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm 

aloof wrote:
sjal wrote:
The name of an ancient fictional city from a ''historical fiction'' novel* (and a clue that is not (directly) related to the novel - there was also an ancient religious-related festival with the same name by the way - it's from archaeological sources)+ the eighth letter of the English alphabet.
*a description of the name of the novel:
it's the name of a group of living organisms (in the singular form) that belong to the family most of whose members have long, thin (and usually downward-curved) bills and (mostly) use flowers as a source of food

Opeth? Lothlorien? Durham?

Opeth is the answer. :)
The part about the letter is small but is also important (and I have to say that for me it was the easiest part in describing the name).
It was not easy for me to find a way to describe their name and not to be too 'straightforward' (i.e. without mentioning the name of the novel/or its author), but this band is very well-known
(and I was surprised that the band was not described earlier in this thread to be honest, - there were so many people who voted for them in the ''Album of the 2000s'' poll here...
Edit: oh.., it turned out that actually there was a riddle about Opeth earlier in this thread but only about one of their songs - "Demon of the Fall", and not about their name, and there was no the answer to that riddle before, - I apologize)
so I hoped that a fan/a listener of Opeth who read about their name just would immediately recognize the name from the first description and would post the answer.
But I had to give additional directions for searching because the first one is too broad - there are many names of ancient fictional cities in historical fiction.
The additional clue+description are not very specific either - there are many names of ancient religious-related festivals, and there are a few groups of birds with long bills who feed on nectar, but that's all I could think of+was able to find tbh (At first, I wanted to mention the translation of ''Opet'' - this clue seemed good to me - it's not very obvious but quite specific, but it is also difficult to find the name by its translation (well, unless you are cheating and are using advance search by "Additional notes'' on MA instead of googling in cases like this - because there are a lot of band pages on MA that have information about meanings of band names in additional notes (including Opeth)). I checked out "City of the Moon" Google search results and there were a lot of cities with ''the Moon" in their names or in their translations/meanings, plus the search results were flooded with science fiction literature about some events/adventures that 'happened' literally on the Moon).
So if someone did not recognize the name of the band from the first description/or who recognized it and just wanted to make sure the answer was correct, there were additional and indirect ways to find the information by Google search:
- from the clue about the Ancient Egyptian Festival Opet;
- or to find the novel The Sunbird from my alternative description of the name of the novel (and to recall the name Opet in memory (if you read the novel) / or to find and to read some information about the novel/plot where the name of the city was mentioned).

Maybe it is a bit 'too much', but this is a progressive death metal band who have songs with unusual/complex structures - so their style inspired me for some over-thinking+searching, that's it.

aloof wrote:
there's also no reason not to re-use a band name in this game. Maiden and Priest got a few entries already... though I have to say if you used the birds, I would have thought of Insomnium or Deadsoul Tribe :)

I heard of both bands (and I think I even listened to some songs from them somewhere) but I didn't remember their artwork. But I know that there are some other metal bands/projects who also have birds on some of their artwork, so I think I would give more detailed description of birds/wings+their meaning (reflections of death and freedom) from Katatonia's artwork + would mention that the band has a logo with a bird which is positioned inside the letter ''O'' on the logo + would add an additional clue that is not related to the albums that have birds on their artwork (for example, that the artwork to the first full-length album from this band contains photos of band members (the album's line-up)+ and there is also a part of a human skeleton on the back cover of the album), - i.e. I think I would give enough specific details that are directly related to the band's discography, and the fans (both fans of 'old' and 'new' Katatonia) would easily recognize the band.. Well, now I think there are enough posts about Katatonia from me in this thread anyway (I hope it was not (too) boring/tiring to read all those posts, and once again I apologize for the offtopic/long posts/and especially for my nervous mood in this thread in general - I'm very sorry about that.).

aloof wrote:
you shouldn't worry too much, or apologize.

Thank you for the answer and for the kind words. I have an anxiety disorder but most of the time it doesn't cause difficulties/problems that much (anymore), but I'm also tend to be a bit too emotional in general and it can cause too much worrying/overreaction in situations that can trigger too much (strong) feelings and emotions (both positive and negative) and I'm not always sure how other people perceive my words/reactions so it's better for me (and for other people) to ask/clarify about it. So answers + advices like these are always helpful. Thanks again!

aloof wrote:
sjal wrote:
(an impressive diatribe on The Complications and Perils of using Katatonia in the name game:)
[...]

aloof wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed reading that :)

I'm glad that you got positive emotions from reading my posts about Katatonia, and I have to admit that those posts are quite similar/close to "diatribe'' stylistically/in composition (I didn't even realize it when I wrote them *shame*), and for me it looks and feels like you mentioned this word in a positive (and broader?) sense, but the description of its meaning here - https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... h/diatribe made me worry about it too tbh, so I need to say+clarify it:
I hope that my posts were not perceived by anyone as some kind of passive-aggressive moralizing/criticizing other people (other than myself, and the band Aphotic (only for their lyrics)*) / or in ''religious/political speech''-like ''seeking to persuade an audience'' way. I am very sorry if it looks/feels like this. :(
I was+am not angry for anyone and didn't criticize anyone, I just wanted to ask/find out/figure out how those descriptions of bands/their names work(ed) for other people here and shared my emotions/personal opinions about the game and about one of my all-time favorite bands - Katatonia, that's it. :)

*By the way, if someone prefers less accessible doom/death metal (and has not heard of them before), check out a doom/death metal band Dusk (and especially their album ''...Majestic Thou in Ruin'' (which also has birds on the album cover btw :)) ) - they have a split album with Aphotic (The song "An Aerial View" by Dusk is especially interesting musically and one of my all-time favorites) and they were/are related in general (see the line-up(s)), but Dusk's style is significantly different - the music is heavier and mostly slower, and the atmosphere is darker, plus the low growls are impressive.

Last edited by sjal on Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 am 

David_Brent wrote:
"a song for all the ladies out there", or I could just say the word of their 2006 album (one word, sums up about everything).

Dismember

Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:33 am 

A Scandinavian death metal band whose name happens to be identical to the name of one of the most popular online messaging platforms, used mostly by gamers but not exclusively. One letter in the band's name was changed, so it doesn't really look exactly the same.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:45 am 

Lissart wrote:
A Scandinavian death metal band whose name happens to be identical to the name of one of the most popular online messaging platforms, used mostly by gamers but not exclusively. One letter in the band's name was changed, so it doesn't really look exactly the same.

Diskord.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:02 pm 

joppek wrote:
here's one:
a portmanteau ov satan and oxydation

no takers?

Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:04 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Lissart wrote:

Diskord.

Very good! Well done.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:02 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
aloof wrote:
4. before it breaks completely

Last Crack?

(I've completely forgotten about them as I couldn't get into their first two albums back then. They were weird but in a weird way.)

correct. try their albums again. they're proper good.

joppek wrote:
joppek wrote:
here's one:

no takers?

there's been a few tries... Devilment? Lucifer Eyes? Lucifuge? give us another hint or the answer... :)

///

answers to my riddles that have not been answered...

aloof wrote:
extremish gardening with fast dude

here's another image riddle... super easy if you're a fan

spoilered so you can have one more try before you slap your forehead :p
Soilwork and Alcest

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:14 am 

aloof wrote:
joppek wrote:
joppek wrote:
here's one:

no takers?

there's been a few tries... Devilment? Lucifer Eyes? Lucifuge? give us another hint or the answer... :)

there's already a few hints in the original riddle if you look closely ;)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:20 am 

joppek wrote:
joppek wrote:
here's one:

no takers?

Lucifyre?

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:22 am 

MikeyC wrote:
joppek wrote:
joppek wrote:
here's one:

no takers?

Lucifyre?

correct - tho' note that it's spelled with a v - Lvcifyre

Coastliner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:27 am 

aloof wrote:
correct. try their albums again. they're proper good.

O.K., I'll try but only the debut. The thing is: I hated the stylistic changes that took place during the 90s, and Last Crack seemed to fit right in… Q5 are pretty good though, like a heavy rock version of Triumph. :thumbsup:

- Soilwork: Yep, that one seems obvious, but I would never have guessed it as I never heard a single note from them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solutions to the three remaining riddles:

03 Eriador's full of [ancient debris]
* Clue: The name of this young and still obscure band has roughly the same meaning as the architectural remnants in brackets. If you've never heard of the band, the most obvious guess is correct. Genre: heavy/post-black metal (according to Metal Archives).

It's Old Ruins. Killer track:

08 wrote a song about Elrond's council's season's (Bal-)rog
* Clue: If you know the season and the meaning of "rog" in English, you have the song title. If you have the song title, it's easy to guess the band because both the song and the band are anything but obscure (and, btw., not Tolkien-related at all). If you don't know the meaning of "rog", here's another clue: Abaddon, Incubus, Pazuzu etc. Genre: progressive death metal (according to Metal Archives).

The terms Abaddon, Incubus and Pazuzu refer to demons as does the Elvish word "rog", it just means "demon" ("Balrog" = "Demon of Might"). Elrond's council took place in autumn / fall (in the movie they captured the seasonal vibe with lots of browns, reds, yellows). So the song title is "Demon of the Fall", one of the fan faves from Opeth's catalogue.

10 A band with ties to Lucas and Tolkien: one of their former members is a Lucas character's brother, and they unintentionally named a song after the king-to-be's love interest in '78.
* C(ryptic)lue: They covered Pete Pleasant, the bass player lives directly above Frodo's alias in Bree, and a song on the debut album is about the season when Gandalf tries to remember the right path through Moria by resorting to a mind-altering drug. ( :-P )
* Bonus clue:
The band name is not Medieval Torture Device. :wink:
Genre: heavy metal.

If you take the shortcut in the bonus clue, it's easy.

It's "Biblical betrayer plus holy servant" / "Traitorous disciple preacher" / "Treacherous Man of the Cloth"!! :crash:

The diversion / roundabout route looks like this:

a Lucas character's (Jar Jar's) brother => Les Binks
Aragorn's love interest: Evenstar => song from '78: "Evening Star"
Pete Pleasant => Peter Green; the green / pleasant pun is a common cliché pun based on a Blake poem that became known as "Jerusalem", and the cover song is, of course, "The Green Manalishi"
Frodo's alias: Mr Underhill => the bass player directly above him: Ian Hill
the season: winter => the song on the debut: "Winter"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appendix:

Unanswered riddles from the previous page:

hess104 wrote:
automobile accident involving handicapped people

aloof wrote:
raumr wrote:
Has Latin choirs in every goddamn song.

therion? fleshgod apocalypse? van canto?

Lissart wrote:
Coastliner wrote:
Lissart wrote:
An experienced band named after a classic 17th-century poem.

Well, for example Paradise Lost, but there are probably some more candidates...

Good! What other bands can you possibly think of that meet the requirement of being "experienced"?

Coastliner wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
the original viking metal band.

I'd say Bathory (but those who file Led Zeppelin under metal would probably say, er, Led Zeppelin).

PETERG wrote:
3. The band plays some kind of good thrash metal unless their singer chooses to be a whiny little bitch which happens way too often

4. One man black metal project that revolves a lot around Game of Thrones. The country of origin does not have anything common with GOT universe.

New riddles (Future archaeologists will drop their shovels when they find this post…):

01 Thoudio (but more modern and without me)

02 E.S.J. minus 1

03 A.D.M.I.N. but has to ask beforehand

04 "HW…TPD" is a song by…?

05 Iron Sea (pronounced by the BBC's Acronym Man)

06 "Hi, Vienna", in other words, not synonymous, and pronounced by a person with a texanaccent* in Austria

07 physician who pulls wires and strings and sings about a villa

08 yet another physician but with a meat axe

09 Hags n Lout

10 Rachit Lips React

11 Powerslave

12 turns fly into bee

13 Move on, there is no 13 as it brings ill luck. (No, this isn't a riddle!)

HTL
TFH
M
JITF
(A)PT
W
PL
NR
SAD
MM

15 `Tage² (feat. a nominal Claus)

16 2 Sodom outtakes plus 3 bonuses from 2018

17 Fischer minus Stricker plus canned beat

18 √ TON plus 1 (decimals and anything not on record can be disregarded)

19 a whole minus 1/5 was two times the same (in 'now minus nine') (EDIT: It's 1/4, not 1/5! It seems I can't count, sorry. :oh shit: )

20 Today, ∞ minus everything plus Two sings in […]

Bonus riddle:
21 The name of a fictional band I made up five minutes ago. It looks Welsh. It has 69 characters with lots of Ls, Ys, Ws and Ns well-hidden between Ms, and when you pronounce it, it sounds like the short, sharp sound you make when you step on a lego® brick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Is that a word? Why not?

Last edited by Coastliner on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
HorrorMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:55 am 

Coastliner wrote:
11 Powerslave

HTL
TFH
M
JITF
(A)PT
W
PL
NR
SAD
MM

11. Iron Maiden?

14. Metallica (Kill ‘Em All)?

Coastliner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:01 am 

HorrorMetal wrote:
11. Iron Maiden?

Metallica is spot on! :nods:

I think it would be a bit too easy if the answer to "Powerslave" were "Iron Maiden". Clue: Who's the "powerslave" in the lyrics? => solution.

mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:28 am 

04 = Megadeth (Holy Wars...The Punishment Due)

06 = Helloween?

11 = Seth?

HorrorMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:37 am 

Coastliner wrote:
HorrorMetal wrote:
11. Iron Maiden?

I think it would be a bit too easy if the answer to "Powerslave" were "Iron Maiden". Clue: Who's the "powerslave" in the lyrics? => solution.

Yeah I figured that would have been too obvious. I'll come back to this one after I think about your hint some more.

Coastliner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:43 am 

mirons wrote:
04 = Megadeth (Holy Wars...The Punishment Due)

06 = Helloween?

11 = Seth?

:nods: :nods:

As regards 11, the one I had in mind was simply Pharaoh but Seth is of course equally correct because some pharaohs used derivations of "Seth", e.g. Seti / Sethos, as an alias. (And I hope you meant the ruler, not the deity.)

HorrorMetal wrote:
Coastliner wrote:
HorrorMetal wrote:
11. Iron Maiden?

Yeah I figured that would have been too obvious. I'll come back to this one after I think about your hint some more.

Too late, sorry. :wink:

HorrorMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:36 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
Too late, sorry. :wink:

Damn, pharaoh was literally the first word I immediately thought of when you gave your clue. But I guess I am unfamiliar with that band.

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:59 pm 

mirons wrote:
David_Brent wrote:

Dismember

Actually : Cannibal Corpse :)

mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:54 am 

David_Brent wrote:
mirons wrote:
David_Brent wrote:

Dismember

Actually : Cannibal Corpse :)

I'm pretty sure Matti Kärki did use that same or a very similar phrase before launching into "Skin Her Alive"; and the name of their 2006 album does indeed tell everything :D

edit: shit, I thought their s/t was 2006 instead of 2008. My bad, carry on!

Last edited by mirons on Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:44 am 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
The one band who recorded Times of Grace. Am I doing this right?

Neurosis, amirite? Too easy bro

Coastliner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:10 pm 

More old news from the previous page:

aloof wrote:
1. now hear me out. there's this dude who is the mainman in a band and he got the job of playing in that other band. what's interesting is, the two bands' names overlap. so, one band is named "haha blablablah", and the other is named "muhaha".

which bands are they?

[…]

3. not the whole Horde

No. 1: I know this thing from somewhere, either from reading an interview or from surfing the Archives one or two years ago, but I can't remember the name of the main band. It's like that one item you stow away behind the vase on the shoe cabinet because you never need it, but when you need it, it's not there anymore. The only details I remember are: the longer name of the main band sounded more interesting than the stripped-down version, and the band wasn't as successful as it could have been. There was a problem of some sort (or if there wasn't a problem, I probably simply read a bad review and am now messing things up). If you just posted the name I would instantly recognise it – does that count? :-D

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next