Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:10 pm 

Saw that the vinyl version got delayed until next year because of a plant backup:

Quote:
PRE-ORDER: untoothers.lnk.to/strength

NOTE: Vinyl pre-orders do not ship until April 2022. This is due to a global supply chain shortage and massive backups at pressing plants. CD & Cassette will ship 9/24. - We will announce vinyl color variants and deluxe editions of the record in the coming weeks.

Merch NA: http://www.lonefirrecords.com

Merch EU: http://www.lonefirrecords.eu

I'm officially hyped for this album, as I've loved everything the band has done so far. "When Will God's Work Be Done" didn't blow me away at first, but I was willing to wait to hear how it fit in the context of the album. Certain songs on Mana weren't great as stand alone tracks, but the album as whole was a masterpiece in my opinion - great flow, song order, and writing. Then wouldn't you know it? The next day after hearing that song, I can't get the damn chorus out of my head. If I just read the lyrics to Idle Hands/Unto Others songs, I would probably think, "Wow, this looks really stupid." But then when you hear them with the music, it works so well and always presents itself in a fresh and catchy way.

And then this new song - "Downtown" - this is one I was instantly excited by! It's got everything I've loved about their music so far. Solid rhythm section, melodic goth rock atmosphere, twin guitar heavy metal harmonies, and those unalterable firm goth rock vocals from Franco. This song is a true banger, and made me even more excited for new music from them. I'm really happy for them with the RR signing, and hope their European tour goes well this fall. They deserve every bit of attention and success they've been getting. Can't wait to hear the album - definitely the one I'm most excited for this year so far!

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:09 am 

Whenever I listen to Idle Hands/Unto Others I can't decide if I love them or if they're the lamest shit ever. I think it's the singer's 3 note range that really makes them too goofy to really take seriously... but they write some catchy fucking songs, and I'm a sucker for catchy fucking songs. When Will Gods Work Be Done is pretty good.

Guess I'm in the middle on them. Occasionally fun to listen to for sure though.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:59 pm 

The way Gabriel Franco sings is closer to a post-punk or gothic rock style than a metal one, which makes sense since they're very clearly influenced by that kind of stuff. I think his vocal style works quite well with the music Unto Others happens to make.

Gabe also reminds me of Davey Havok from AFI sometimes, mainly when he sings higher (see: Give Me to the Night). Not a comparison I thought I'd make when it comes to a metal band but that's what I hear.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:34 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I think it's the singer's 3 note range that really makes them too goofy to really take seriously...

Gabe's range isn't small, it's just lower than most metal singers. The chorus of I Feel Nothing isn't exactly easy to sing...

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:00 am 

Next single is out:

This one seems to be the "different" track, not unlike "It Will be Over Before You Know it" off Mana.

I like it, but it needs more listens. I love the foggy production and Gabe sounds excellent.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork plays: Danzig - The Coldest Sun - NEW!
Adder's Fork - "The Fatalist (A Coming Dark)" music video! - NEW!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:12 pm 

"I don't care about anyone, because no one cares about me!"

God damn this sound like an angsty poem I wrote in middle school. The bridge with the double bass was cool, but the rest of the song is just cringey.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:05 pm 

Unto Others is the band I had always been looking for without knowing it. I like everything they have released so far. The new single sounds awesome and the upcoming record could be album of the year material.

''Concert'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/concert-a-short-story-c31088448

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:09 pm 

New single is stellar, and "When Will Gods Work Be Done" has become my favorite metal song this year. I wasn't even the biggest fan of Mana, but I'm really looking forward to this new one. I don't think the lyrics in the new song are bad, pretty typical heart-on-your-sleeve stuff that I'd expect for the genre.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:42 pm 

Yeah, I love the new single. They really nailed that balance between melancholy and aggression that you want from this particular style of gothic/heavy metal.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:25 pm 

Just pre-ordered the CD today. Will probably do the vinyl later since it's coming out next year. I can safely say this is the album I'm most excited about this year so far!

EDIT: There was a really cool interview with Gabe on Loudwire. They asked him a lot of questions I've wondered since I began listening to the band, like where the howls and "HOO-UGH!" came from. Probably the most in-depth interview I've seen with him yet.

https://loudwire.com/unto-others-streng ... oth-metal/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:52 pm 

Ran into the dudes last night, while I was wearing my Idle Hands shirt, what are the odds. Apparently my band is in the same practice space as them.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:46 pm 

^That's real cool.

How did they feel about you dead naming them with that shirt?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:07 pm 

praey wrote:
New single is stellar, and "When Will Gods Work Be Done" has become my favorite metal song this year. I wasn't even the biggest fan of Mana, but I'm really looking forward to this new one. I don't think the lyrics in the new song are bad, pretty typical heart-on-your-sleeve stuff that I'd expect for the genre.

Yeah, the melodramatic lyrics are part of the charm with this sort of stuff, so the lyrics don't bother me either.

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:51 am 

Gave a listen to whole albums. I got the first half being stronger than the second. I feel there is auto tune vocals especially in Little Bird and Destiny. Are my ears playing tricks or is it a known thing to use auto tune in metal albums now?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:24 am 

I have just put the record on, and I cannot remember the last time an opening track slapped me around like that. I am going wild here.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 am 

I'm right in my first listen through the whole thing and it sounds really, really interesting so far, but FUCK, the excessive autotune use in "Little Bird" is aggravating and completely, over the top-unnecessary. Come on, Gabe...

Adder's Fork - Website

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:10 am 

Really great on first listen! It's impressive how they were able to simultaneously double down on the goth and metal elements while still keeping the catchiness from Mana intact.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:45 am 

The drum intro to "Why" sounds like it was ripped right out of "Walking on Sunshine".
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:46 am 

Heroin is fucking heavy and just incredible, really wish it wasn't the only song like it on the album. On pretty much every other track they'll have an awesome, ripping bridge/solo, then for the most part the rest of the song is just the overly saccharine "check out my goth vox!!" bits over forgettable riffs and standard chord progressions. The EP was perfect because it kept the heavy and moody together instead of keeping them separate like they do now.

Other thoughts: snare sound fucking rules, the samples on Destiny and Instinct are really distracting, I hate the fact that they left a Bandcamp-friendly label.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:18 am 

Dudes, I can't get over the way this album starts.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:10 pm 

It's a cool album, but I on first listen I do find it being pretty front-loaded. I was worried that would be the case when I saw all three singles were in the first third of the album. That said they've definitely stretched their wings a little on this one, with "Heroin" probably being their heaviest song ever and "Little Bird" being one of their softest. Likewise, the use of samples in tracks like "Instinct" is fresh, and they've definitely leaned more into the 80s hard rock thing this time around. All that said, I think Mana was a more even album. I really don't like the "Hell Is for Children" cover, the closing track didn't seem to be anything spectacular, and several songs in the middle aren't too special either. It's a very good album and I can see it ending up on some year-end lists, but my first impressions are that it's not quite as good as I expected given how much I enjoyed "No Children Laughing Now" and "When Will Gods Work Be Done."

BrainScan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Dudes, I can't get over the way this album starts.

Yeah the opener is just huge. It sets the bar a bit too high perhaps. I think the middle third drags a bit, and the Pat Benatar cover isn't good enough to warrant its place in the tracklist imo. But overall it's a pretty good album that brings me back around near the end.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:43 pm 

This first song is fucking killer. I like that they're more diverse than just this, but man, I almost want a whole album just in this style.

I think this is better than the first album, seems like they've grown more comfortable as a band.

Still unsure if this'll be high up on my year end list, but it seems like they smoothed out the more awkward bits from the first one and this one sounds more consistent overall.

Only thing I'd maybe say is there's nothing as catchy as the last two songs off Mana, but catchiness doesn't have to be the only thing.

Last edited by Empyreal on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:22 pm 

Aaaaaaalright, I'm done with my second listen now and I'm still not quite sure what to think of the complete package.

I think they have both outdone themselves AND churned out their worst songs on the same album.

The singles-triumvirate stands out indeed, they were all excellent songs but "Heroin", "Just a Matter of Time", "Hell is for Children" and the title track are among my favourites of theirs as well. The more vivid and spacious production job does wonders, I mean "Mana" already sounded pretty damn fine to me but this a whole new level of professionalism...

...except for the fucking autotune. "Little Bird" is probably their worst song yet due to the fact. The structuring is also a bit awkward, but the autocorrection on Gabe's voice is so obvious and painful to the ears. "Why?" (the song...) is also quite forgettable because it never develops into anything proper. The use of samples doesn't add much either, they are kind of distracting ("Instinct").

I'd still LOVE to do a vocal collab with Gabe, though. I had already reached out to him at some point earlier in their career, being that our music is/(was?) a bit similar, but their rise to superstardom will probably not give me that opportunity any longer, huh ^^

Adder's Fork - Website

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:35 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
I'd still LOVE to do a vocal collab with Gabe, though. I had already reached out to him at some point earlier in their career, being that our music is/(was?) a bit similar, but their rise to superstardom will probably not give me that opportunity any longer, huh ^^

I would honestly love to hear that dude. Y'all's styles are similar enough to where it could work, and different enough to where it could be really interesting. I reckon it would come out like some sort of metalized mix of The Cure and Joy Division, which I think would be amazing!

The band just announced an NA tour for the fall, and I couldn't be more hyped. The tickets are super cheap, so I went ahead and got some right away. I'm looking forward to getting my copy of the album in, but I'll probably stream it this weekend while I wait.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:52 pm 

Well, I think the new album is pretty damn good. I feel like it's at least on the same level as "Mana" in terms of its songwriting - strong catchy hooks, great guitar melodies and a nice gothic atmosphere. The one hiccup is indeed "Little Bird", because... yeah, it has the most gratuitous usage of autotune (something that's definitely more present on this album than the last one). Other than that, I pretty much enjoy every song on here. It's kind of unfair to the other songs to open with "Heroin" though, I've gotta say.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:53 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
It's kind of unfair to the other songs to open with "Heroin" though, I've gotta say.

I mean, Mana did open with "Nightfall," which was easily that album's best song, so it's tradition at this point.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:02 pm 

I thought "Little Bird" was really good. Didn't mind the autotune in the least. Just another tool to use really.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:07 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
I would honestly love to hear that dude. Y'all's styles are similar enough to where it could work, and different enough to where it could be really interesting. I reckon it would come out like some sort of metalized mix of The Cure and Joy Division, which I think would be amazing!

Haha, thanks man.

Yeah, that actually does sound pretty damn motivating ^^ but as I said, I doubt it's gonna happen anytime soon.

Have fun on that tour! Would love to see that too, but their only (supporting act) tour here in the middle of Europe has been cancelled and postponed to...I don't even know when.

Adder's Fork - Website

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:15 am 

Reflecting on this album some more, I think I would enjoy it a lot more if "Why" and "Hell Is for Children" were left out. "Why" feels very throwaway and "Hell Is for Children" just doesn't work for me. The song between them, "Just a Matter of Time," isn't the strongest either, but it'd fit in a lot better if it wasn't wedged between my two least favorite songs here. I will say "Summer Lightning" has grown on me a lot, and, while I still think the album is front-loaded, I don't think it's quite as unbalanced as I initially thought.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:39 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Have fun on that tour! Would love to see that too, but their only (supporting act) tour here in the middle of Europe has been cancelled and postponed to...I don't even know when.

When I saw that tour announced, I was pretty jealous. Playing with Behemoth and Carcass?! That would be sick man, and I hope you get to experience it. Gabe mentioned in the interview above that they were planning on playing some shows in the European festival circuit too, so that's likely to be announced in the coming months. I'm honestly really excited to see them on a headlining run. I think it might be their first one, which could explain why the tickets are so cheap.

I just got through my first listen of the album and it was very interesting. It's almost as if the A and B sides are split between their two sides - with A showcasing some of their heaviest material, and B exhibiting more of the Gothic Rock/Post-Punk style with lots of clean guitar passages, and their signature upbeat/catchy song-writing. I agree that "Heroin" was incredible opener. I would second that "Nightfall" is definitely one of the best songs on Mana, but "Cosmic Overdrive" has got to be my favorite on that album.

Songs like "Why" and "Summer Lightning" are really cool Post-Punk tunes, and I feel there are several nods to classic Gothic Rock/Post-Punk bands throughout the album. I honestly didn't hear the autotune people have been talking about, except for on "Downtown," which I noticed when the song was first released. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of it, although it is an odd choice. I can't say I've ever heard a metal band use it before.

All in all, I thought the album was great. It mixes some of their heaviest and most melodic material, and I think it stands really well as a whole. I really find the dynamic of sounds between the A and B sides interesting, and it makes me wonder if it was a conscious choice, or if it just sort of happened. I think it will make for a really fun listen once the vinyl version comes out.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:43 pm 

Listened to the album today and wish that they'd just deliver an entire album of heavier stuff. ''Heroin'' and ''When Will Gods Work Be Done'' are great, but the rest doesn't move me as much. Vocalist rules, though; plenty of those earlier ''gothic'' sounding guys from the 90s wish they could sing and growl like this guy!

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:17 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:

When I saw that tour announced, I was pretty jealous. Playing with Behemoth and Carcass?! That would be sick man, and I hope you get to experience it. Gabe mentioned in the interview above that they were planning on playing some shows in the European festival circuit too, so that's likely to be announced in the coming months. I'm honestly really excited to see them on a headlining run. I think it might be their first one, which could explain why the tickets are so cheap.

Since my last concert before everything locked down was Behemoth/At the Gates I was kinda bummed that Idle Hands/Unto Others would only be the opening act for the main band I had already seen and I'm not THAT big on Carcass and really, really didn't feel like suffering through a set of modern Arch Enemy. I was hesitating to go but then it was all postponed anyway.

Would LOVE a headlining tour here and would definitely go whenever and wherever possible.

Adder's Fork - Website

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:47 am 

For anyone that has a copy of the vinyl or CD: are the lyrics in the inlay? I've been trying to figure out what Gabe says at two parts of Heroin.

The line:
Give it to me straight, ???, I don’t care, I don’t wanna feel
Hit me with an overdose, fine, death - ????

In the first one does he say "Give it to me straight, DOWN"?
Second one KIND of sounds like "define (or deny) my purpose"

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:58 am 

jimbies wrote:
For anyone that has a copy of the vinyl or CD: are the lyrics in the inlay? I've been trying to figure out what Gabe says at two parts of Heroin.

The line:

He probably growls ''urgh'' during the parts that you're not sure of.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:10 am 

LOL, that actually might be it for the first line, to be honest.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:12 pm 

I do love how close the grunts are to getting completely Flanderized. Definitely feels like they played it up a lot more this time.

Marken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:25 pm 

jimbies wrote:

The line:

Got the CD. Let me see...

Give it to me straight Doc, I don’t care, I don’t wanna feel
Hit me with an overdose, fine, death, divine

Awesome song, great album!

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 pm 

Just listen to the album. It's seem ls they are way more confident on this album then their first. That opener is my favorite. I am glad they are coming to Phoenix in November. Kudos to Unto Others.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:18 pm 

I like the album but it seems like a step back from their first. They've still got a good vibe, but the songwriting is weaker - it seems like they're laying off the big guitar hooks they did so well, which were a great contrast to the vocal style, and some of these songs feel like a bit more straightforward one-man-band type stuff plus guitar solos. It seems like the vocals are missing a counterpart, missing that call-and-response thing they previously did so well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next