Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:12 am 

I thought they had a new singer for a minute. Michael's voice is MUCH higher. But the song is good.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:06 pm 

Wow, this is terrible...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:31 pm 

Aw come on, it wasn't THAT bad. It is passable mainstream heavy metal, 2000's style. Back in the 80's this would have been compared favorably with bands like Accept or Dokken, both of which were considered respectable, if a bit "Vanilla," at the time (hey I STILL like the 80's stuff from those bands.)

So... this song. Respectable but vanilla. It's definitely metal, guitar has the right "Crunch," the riffs have the right driving force, but yet, it's neither terrible nor super exciting.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:01 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
So... this song. Respectable but vanilla. It's definitely metal, guitar has the right "Crunch," the riffs have the right driving force, but yet, it's neither terrible nor super exciting.

I agree. After the alright verse riff, there's a chorus... -- yes, indeed, -- riff! Not a pop music chord progression played on a seven-string. So this even regains a distinct 80s (or traditional maybe) metal aesthetic. On the vocals, my first thought was "if The Offspring were a heavy metal band", not bad at all.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 pm 

Alright for what it is. Can definitely headbang to this.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:22 pm 

Ok, you're definitely right.. It's just vanilla. Riff is ok, drums are ok, vocals are fine. It's just not good.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:31 pm 

Eh....it's kind of dull. I guess I was expecting some more shit like Lola Montez or Gates of Babylon.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:49 pm 

At least the chorus isn't ripping off Lola Montez again!

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:14 pm 

That would make it 2x better.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:08 pm 

I enjoyed the new song, in particular Michael's vocal register.

I have always liked Volbeat and while it would be crazy to assume they would become more like Dominus this late into their career, I do wish they would make a return to the style of their first three albums. Songs like BOA, or You Or Them.

Pains me to say but I think Volbeat kind of maxed themselves out on the spectacular Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies & Seal the Deal albums. There does not appear to be much growth from those two albums. I hope this new album does break some new ground however.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:11 pm 

I never got this band. I bought the album which had the KD guest spot and that was literally the only track I semi-liked. I don’t like the vocal style and it just strikes me as shallow cock rock. That being said I gotta say the switch up on the vocals actually found me enjoying this track, and that Moshy middle part. It was catchy and probably the best thing I’ve heard them do.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:43 pm 

I have definitely enjoyed some Volbeat songs before - and I met Michael at a festival and he's a great guy. This song sucks though... Just being honest. It's VERY much a mainstream rock radio song --- and I get why they're doing it. I just don't have to like it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:18 pm 

A very buttrocky, mid 2000s feeling song that doesn't really do anything interesting. Also, the "fast" part feels like it just abruptly stops with no real transition into the chorus.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:29 am 

absolutely atrocious.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:02 pm 

Riffs are okay, vocals make me want to die. I shudder to think how much post-processing that guy's voice went through to sound like this. Maybe he can hit those notes himself, I wouldn't know with all of that pitch correction.

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:31 am 

Not terrible but not worthwhile either. Seems they are out of gas. Personally, I haven't cared for anything they have done since Beyond Hell/Above Heaven.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:51 am 

Sounds like something you'd hear in a WWE game or on a CD you'd get free with Metal Hammer back in 2008.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:08 am 

Yeah, it's no secret this band is one of the most kitchy and gimmicky bands around, however, if I took all their albums, I could probably make one really enjoyable, fun, catchy 12-14 song record. I just can't sit through all the filler/same schtick over and over and over again.

Still, Mary Ann's Place, Back To Prom, Lola Montez and Radio Girl are some undeniably catchy toe-tapping numbers.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:00 pm 

It's a solid radio metal tough guy track, nothing mindblowing though.

That being said, Poulson has been making some pretty bold claims about this album being the heaviest they've ever written and mentioned Death, Bolt Thrower, Candlemass and Dio Sabbath as influences. The Sacred Stones and Lasse's Birgitta are the two longest songs they've ever written, so we shall see if there's any truth to his claims.

Last edited by MeavyHetal on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:37 pm 

A Volbeat question. What is their "big hit"? I remember when they opened for Metallica a bunch of the crowd got all fired up for one track but no idea what it was. Do they have a signature tune?

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:16 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
A Volbeat question. What is their "big hit"? I remember when they opened for Metallica a bunch of the crowd got all fired up for one track but no idea what it was. Do they have a signature tune?

Pearl Hart, Lola Montez are pretty much the staples, IMO Lola is their best song. Heaven nor Hell and The Devils Bleeding Crown as well are quite popular.

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:22 pm 

Falling got radio play and Warriors Call is a staple at the arena for my favorite Hockey team (Caps).

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:31 am 

I really like Volbeat, esp. their metal/rockabilly side. I like some of their pop/rock stuff too like Pearl Heart or Nameless One but I think they get too repetitive with melodies, esp. in the last 2 albums.

By the way, Jeff Walker of Carcass was saying he thought they sounded too pop and too rock-star for his liking but admitted they were addicted to Pearl Heart on the tourbus (and he was not happy about it!), something about the delivery of the lyrics ("...man's jeans and a shirt"), he actually did not remember the title of the song but that lyric line. Which brings me to what I like mostly like about Volbeat and that's Poulsen's voice and delivery really. Others hate his style, I actually love it. Love/hate I guess. A Warrior's Call is a good test for that to see where you fall...

As for songs, 7 Shots is my favorite by far. Feat. Denner and Mille. Absolutely love this one.
Other good ones: Doc Holiday, Hangman's Bodycount, Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood, Mirror and the Ripper, 16 Dollars, Slaytan, Room 24...

New song is nice.

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:57 pm 

Volbeat blow and this song fuckin sucks

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:24 am 

With a song title like Shotgun Blues, you'd expect a little more... blues. This is not as bad as their previous works i.e. actively annoying, but this like radio rock: Totally inoffensive with no rough edges to it whatsoever. Nothing that would make you go back for it at any point.

Reply to topic