Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PrincessScarlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:13 am 

A lot of the stuff posted here is either tech/prog thrash, mixed with another sub-genre (i.e. blackened thrash or death-thrash), Power Trip-core (which imo is another plague on the thrash scene almost as bad as pizza thrash) or what I like to call "post-pizza thrash". Essentially bands that feel like pizza thrash bands desperately trying to not be pizza thrash, examples being Havok and Warbringer. If this is thrash's future, I'm still not particularly hopeful.

Anyway, here's Honor, from Switzerland. A band I recently discovered who does actually manage to give me some hope for the genre.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:46 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Mystic Storm, Nocturnal, Hellcrash, and Oxygen Destroyer have all put out extremely strong releases this year as well. Having said that, I think its telling that almost none of these albums are really pure thrash, and most have enough other influences thrown in to where I'd feel odd calling them as such (except for the Nekromantheon from the ones I've heard in your list). Thrash having been a stepping stone in metal's evolution to more extreme sub-genres kind of makes it the bastard of the scene it seems.

Uhhhh.... :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Oh wow, I think you're right. I barely listen to thrash at all- of all the metal genres it's easily one of the styles I've been exposed to the least- and I've never heard any of these bands either. Yet even I, a certified thrash noob, know you're 100% right. The thing that was a dead giveaway to me was when I quickly searched up Hexorcist- and the archives is calling them a death metal band. They're not even categorized as death/thrash or thrash/death, no, apparently the archives is calling Hexorcist a full-on death metal band and they're getting thrown around in a discussion about quality thrash metal releases. Honestly, I have nothing against thrash, and I know there isn't a shortage of new thrash on a quantitative scale, but it pains me to realize that the genre must be creatively bankrupt at this point if a death metal band is being thrown around in a discussion about quality thrash metal. I don't mean to sound condescending to thrash bands or thrash fans when I say that, I have nothing against it and what little thrash I've heard (the Living Sacrifice debut, a little early Mortification, and Nightmare Logic by Power Trip are what first comes to mind) I actually like, it just seems like it must be really hard to find a large quantity of quality (as opposed to a more vibrant scene like black or death metal, or even underground deathcore).

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:35 am 

Mystic Storm sounds like thrash to me.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:52 am 

camjr01 wrote:

Oh wow, I think you're right. I barely listen to thrash at all- of all the metal genres it's easily one of the styles I've been exposed to the least- and I've never heard any of these bands either. Yet even I, a certified thrash noob, know you're 100% right. The thing that was a dead giveaway to me was when I quickly searched up Hexorcist- and the archives is calling them a death metal band. They're not even categorized as death/thrash or thrash/death, no, apparently the archives is calling Hexorcist a full-on death metal band and they're getting thrown around in a discussion about quality thrash metal releases. Honestly, I have nothing against thrash, and I know there isn't a shortage of new thrash on a quantitative scale, but it pains me to realize that the genre must be creatively bankrupt at this point if a death metal band is being thrown around in a discussion about quality thrash metal. I don't mean to sound condescending to thrash bands or thrash fans when I say that, I have nothing against it and what little thrash I've heard (the Living Sacrifice debut, a little early Mortification, and Nightmare Logic by Power Trip are what first comes to mind) I actually like, it just seems like it must be really hard to find a large quantity of quality (as opposed to a more vibrant scene like black or death metal, or even underground deathcore).

Only one person called Hexorcist a thrash band. They are absolutely a death metal band. The genre is not creatively bankrupt....just one person who is confused as to what death metal and thrash really is. People that say that whatever genre is dead are so full of shit. If you know look you will find quality metal of all genres. In fact, it's easier than ever to find quality music! Once again, it's the people that always say, "They don't make music like they used to," that criticize people for literally making music like they used to.

Like your reviews?

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:53 am 

mjollnir wrote:
camjr01 wrote:

Only one person called Hexorcist a thrash band. They are absolutely a death metal band. The genre is not creatively bankrupt....just one person who is confused as to what death metal and thrash really is. People that say that whatever genre is dead are so full of shit. If you know where to look you will find quality metal of all genres. In fact, it's easier than ever to find quality music! Once again, it's the people that always say, "They don't make music like they used to," that criticize people for literally making music like they used to.

Edit: Can an admin delete the double post? I can no longer remove it!

Like your reviews?

Last edited by mjollnir on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am 

mjollnir wrote:
Only one person called Hexorcist a thrash band. They are absolutely a death metal band. The genre is not creatively bankrupt....just one person who is confused as to what death metal and thrash really is. People that say that whatever genre is dead are so full of shit. If you know where to look you will find quality metal of all genres. In fact, it's easier than ever to find quality music! Once again, it's the people that always say, "They don't make music like they used to," that criticize people for literally making music like they used to.

I could do without the condescension, thanks. I'm not confused as to what death metal and thrash metal are, I've listened to enough of both for well over two decades to know the difference. To me songs like this fit into that death/thrash paradigm, with riffs that blur the boundaries between both subgenres, which a lot of 80s extreme metal did (i.e. Possessed, early Death and Morbid Angel etc). Sure, the band goes in a more death metal direction at other times but it's pretty clear that they're heavily influenced by thrash metal and not just in a superficial way. A lot of the mid-to-late 80s death metal that they take influence from could also fit under the death/thrash umbrella without much of an issue.

Another example of a band doing something a bit similar although hewing a bit closer to thrash, is Invincible Force:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2