* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:12 pm 

Vikingligrveldi wrote:
megadeth93 wrote:

Serpents of the Light and Stench of Redemption are way beyond decent in my view. I even enjoy Till Death Do Us Part, I appreciate the different lyrical theme. Apart from that album, I would say their best lyrics are on Serpents - more sociological and less random insults.

I can see why people don't like Serpents because it is kind of sing-songy with the melodies, whereas the earlier stuff was more straightforward and brutal. I still love that album though, the song Father Baker is especially good.

I'm a fan of traditional metal and melodic thrash, so you can probably understand why I like Serpents - I love a bit of a sing-along and crystal-clear production. Serpents gets weaker in the second half, but the track you mention rocks. I don't even mind that Blame it on God and Slave to the Cross have basically the same chorus.

Blackheart_Sauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:50 pm 

orphy wrote:
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus. Great use of Bolt Thrower style death metal with gloomy Finnish melody. Unfortunately, I never really could get into the melodic follow-up and never really cared for their direction after that.

For me Amorphis is about Privilege of Evil (EP). Nothing else is even remotely close to it.
They have good albums, but not Privilege of Evil level, and far later.
I actually enjoy My Kantele EP a lot as well, but again, not even close to Privilege of Evil level and released way later.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:16 am 

Zyklon - World of Worms

This is an excellent album. Black metal with an industrial feel and some nice lyrical content. It felt like a logical next step for the genre at the time. The follow ups removed themselves from the distinct identity of the debut and became rather boring death metal as far as I remember.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:27 pm 

InnesI wrote:
Zyklon - World of Worms

This is an excellent album. Black metal with an industrial feel and some nice lyrical content. It felt like a logical next step for the genre at the time. The follow ups removed themselves from the distinct identity of the debut and became rather boring death metal as far as I remember.

I should really finally listen to this. The only two songs I had ever heard were Chaos Deathcult (which I fucking love) and Zycloned, because waaaay back in the file sharing days, they were the only two songs I could find. Now that it's on spotify, I have no excuse for this shit.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:19 am 

InnesI wrote:
Zyklon - World of Worms

I feel the same way here. This album was a good mix of both styles. Aeon was okay but a clear step down. Disintegrate seemed pretty generic. I would have to listen to all 3 again, though, as it's been some time.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:00 am 

Blackheart_Sauron wrote:
I actually enjoy My Kantele EP a lot as well, but again, not even close to Privilege of Evil level and released way later.

I would never think that a person who loves the Privilege EP that much could even remotely enjoy My Kantele! Wasn't it viewed as "the proof that Amorphis sold out and went art rock" by the original fans?

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:47 am 

Not exactly "one album" but I don't really like post-Barnes Cannibal Corpse. They had a rotten, Gorey, disgusting atmosphere before 1996, and they've since lost that atmosphere.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:45 pm 

The_Grindcrusher wrote:
Not exactly "one album" but I don't really like post-Barnes Cannibal Corpse. They had a rotten, Gorey, disgusting atmosphere before 1996, and they've since lost that atmosphere.

A lot of that has to do with the mixes on the post Barnes albums. Once Scott Burns stopped mixing things, their albums got significantly more polished and sterile. Their songwriting skills are still there, but Erik Rutan's mixing jobs are the epitome of boring modern metal mixing. Scott Burns had a very recognizable mixing style and made those early records sound as filthy as the music.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:57 pm 

Yeah I read people now slam the sound on those old records but I think most of his stuff still sounds fantastic.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:20 pm 

Dark Angel's Darkness Descends
Annihilator's Alice In Hell
Malevolent Creation's Retribution
Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten
The Exploited's Punk's not Dead
The Sex Pistols' Never Mind the Bollocks
Metal Church's The Dark
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:30 pm 

Vikingligrveldi wrote:
I would say Jag Panzer. I love Ample Destruction, but the rest of their discography is meh for me. I don't hate their other stuff, I just feel like the ridiculous over-the-top street tough imagery combined with the fantastic vocals and instruments are better than all the rest of their stuff.

Same here... or rather not the same here. I don't even like "Ample Destruction" but prefer the "Tyrants"-E.P.. That's the only release I can stomach because of the raw production and the slightly chaotic performance. There's a feral energy that's nowhere to be found on their other albums. Or rather... the thing I like is not even the E.P. as a whole but the way Mr. Conklin intones the very first line in the opener "Battle Zones" that knocks my socks off. 0:30 - 0:35:

Spoiler: show

When I first heard that I thought: Wow, an outtake from "RRRÖÖÖAAARRR"?! But they never again captured that kind of power anywhere else.

I never had a problem with Titan Force though. Catchy guitars, catchy vocal lines, solid songwriting, everything okay and decent. Nevertheless I think Conklin peaked, when he first opened his mouth, and never reached those lofty heights again. Of course, that's just the point of view of a massive Voivod fan.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:34 pm 

Annihilator's the obvious pick. Alice in Hell is universally considered a thrash classic, and IS a very good album. Never, Neverland is decent... But everything else I've heard from them is meh to bad.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:18 pm 

Grave Desecrator - Sign Of Doom
This album won me over as soon as I heard it, and unfortunately I don't feel their later work captured that same magic or even sounded the same.

Perversor - Cult Of Destruction
Same as the Grave Desecrator example.

Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum
I wasn't too big a fan of Consuming Impulse, they indeed did change direction on that album.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 am 

I agree with Night of the stormrider and bonded by blood

They may have other good stuff, but for me : Darkthrone – Transilvanian Hunger and Gorgoroth – Antichrist are the albums I always go back to. I never feel the need to listen to the rest

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:54 am 

Floodland wrote:
The Sex Pistols' Never Mind the Bollocks

Well to be fair the Sex Pistols only made one full length so...

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:11 am 

Might get shit for this but Iced Earth. I've always really liked Night of the Stormrider and to this day it's the only Iced Earth album I own. I love Greely's vocals (sorry Barlow fans) and the thrashy riffs just work so well. I never liked their more power metal oriented stuff.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:59 am 

The only In Flames album I really like all that much is Clayman, though I think I'd probably enjoy the first three releases from them if I give them each another spin. I heard Goliaths Disarm Their Davids recently and really dug it.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:28 pm 

Great thread idea! I'll come up with a few choices of my own, but first, I wanted to look at your list.

Slater922 wrote:
Deafheaven - Sunbather

Yeah, Deafheaven doesn't exactly have the best reputation in the metal scene to say the least, but "Sunbather" is a fantastic album. The other three albums however have an "it exists" type of quality.

I understand why people could/would prefer their sound on Sunbather, but Roads to Judah is basically the same, but a bit darker and more concise. Sunbather has some great crescendos, but so does RtJ. I do recommend giving it more spins. You might end up liking it more and more.

Slater922 wrote:
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times

DMT is an amazing black metal debut and part of some other classic black metal bands from 1994. The Shadowthrone was alright, but everything else after is completely forgettable.

I agree with this one. A lot of people say that Nemesis Divina is the highest point in their discography, but I never got into it. But DMT is still a classic, imho. It's a bit cheesy, but it's classic regardless.

Slater922 wrote:
Wintersun - Self-titled

Time I and The Forest Sessions are okay, but are WAY too cheesy for my taste. Their 2004 eponymous debut does balance the symphonic and extreme parts well, and a lot of the riffs are melodic and epic.

I also agree with this one. The debut of Wintersun was pretty good in itself, and felt like the natural evolution for Jari after his quality work with Ensiferum. However, the success of his debut most definitely got to his head, and the guy became a freakin' egomaniac, and led his band down a dark path. I don't understand how there are still people willing to sink money into this band after all the disapointments, and the lack of respect and contempt Jari constantly shows for his fans and the metal community as a whole.

The following records are just overhyped albums with very little substance to speak of. Maybe if Jari didn't oversell them, I could appreciate them for what they are. But Jari as a character has placed himself in front of his music, and I really can't work around this to focus solely on his work. He's just such a despicable man.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:02 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Deafheaven - Sunbather

Yeah, Deafheaven doesn't exactly have the best reputation in the metal scene to say the least, but "Sunbather" is a fantastic album. The other three albums however have an "it exists" type of quality.

I understand why people could/would prefer their sound on Sunbather, but Roads to Judah is basically the same, but a bit darker and more concise. Sunbather has some great crescendos, but so does RtJ. I do recommend giving it more spins. You might end up liking it more and more.

When I made that list back in May, Sunbather was pretty much the only Deafheaven album I was willing to listen to. I've since given the other albums a chance, and I've come to enjoy Roads to Judah and New Bermuda.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:36 pm 

For those who can't get past the debut, here is a few for you:

Exodus - Impact is Immanent
Deicide - Serpents of the Light and The Stench of Redemption
Onslaught - In Search of Sanity
Vital Remains - Forever underground
Immolation - Shadows in the Light

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:51 pm 

Others have already mentionned bands who have a pretty decent to solid discography, but with one album that truly standouts, such as Morbid Angel with their album Altars of Madness, and I agree with this. I wouldn't say they don't have other good material, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of the band if it wasn't for Altars of Madness. In this sense, they are a band I really only truly love because of one album.

I know it might be an unpopular opinion around here, but when it comes to Alice in Chains, I feel the same way about Dirt versus the rest of their discography. Again, it's not that they are bad albums, but Dirt stands out as their crowning achievement for me, and I barely listen to the other albums.

Another, more obvious, example of a band I like based on one album is Nocturnus with their debut The Key. The following releases really pale in comparison to it, and they disbanded after thier third album. They Key is untouchable and stands out as a truly unique osdm album.

Fleshgod Apocalypse with Oracles, is another prime example of a band that fits the description. The band started out with a sound that was highly reminiscent of the sound of another italian technical brutal death metal band, named Hour of Penance. Multi-instrumentalist Francesco Paoli was even in both band for a while between 2007 and 2010. The album Oracles, while it took influence from the sound of HoP truly had a signature sound that made it stand out. The way they incorporated the classical music influence in the guitar riffing made it truly unique, resulting in what I consider to be a true modern death metal masterpiece. But the following releases were so meh... I remember being extremely disapointed with the released of Agony that saw the band taking a nosedive in terms of quality. They basically turned into the death metal version of Dimmu Borgir and replaced all the things that made them original with boring orchestration and synths. They never arstistically recovered from that change of sound. That new sound got them quite popular though. Crappy metal for the masses.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:53 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
When I made that list back in May, Sunbather was pretty much the only Deafheaven album I was willing to listen to. I've since given the other albums a chance, and I've come to enjoy Roads to Judah and New Bermuda.

I noticed after posting that the thread dated back from May and that it was just recently bumped. I'm glad you got to discover more of Deafheaven's sound. I personnally didn't really get into New Bermuda, not so much because it's bad but more so because I didn't really feel like it. I probably will come back to it at some point if I ever feel a renewed interest in post-black metal.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:04 pm 

Leviathan - Scar Sighted. Everything else is just not very good.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:21 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Isn't The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide considered one of the best black metal albums of all time? Why do you think it's not good?

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:05 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
Might get shit for this but Iced Earth. I've always really liked Night of the Stormrider and to this day it's the only Iced Earth album I own. I love Greely's vocals (sorry Barlow fans) and the thrashy riffs just work so well. I never liked their more power metal oriented stuff.

On the other hand I liked Iced Earth only based on their Burnt Offering album. An amazing, amazing work.
Same with Nevermore's Politics of Ecstasy and with Obituary's Slowly We Rot.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:08 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

I have never understood what people found in that band. I'd rather listen to Lurker of Chalice's self titled all day long than to the entire Leviathan discography.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:48 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Isn't The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide considered one of the best black metal albums of all time? Why do you think it's not good?

I'm not a fan of the vocals or the programmed drums.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:29 am 

have you guys checked out Massive Conspiracy Against All Life? at times it feels very Lurker of Chalice and it was the first one featuring acoustic drums

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:30 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
have you guys checked out Massive Conspiracy Against All Life? at times it feels very Lurker of Chalice and it was the first one featuring acoustic drums

I liked that one a bit better but still not close to how much I like Scar Sighted. If I remember that correctly, that one was supposed to be a Lurker of Chalice album. The CD has alternate track titles when you put it on your computer and says it's a Lurker of Chalice album.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:24 pm 

The two best examples of this for me:

Mekong Delta - Dances of Death (and Other Walking Shadows)
Paradise Lost - Icon

There are other bands where I've only gotten into one album and haven't really given anything else a chance, but for those two I checked out quite a lot of other material just in case and wasn't swayed by any of it.

Malbordus wrote:
Green Carnation. Light of Day, Day o Darkness is so good that it makes the general mediocrity of everything else they do truly baffling. Journey to the End of the Night is OK I guess, but I barely listen to anything else.

Light of Day, Day of Darkness is pretty damn cool. From a quick listen, I think I could get into some of their other stuff. I'd just never looked it up before.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:47 am 

Well, a lot of death metal bands only really do it for me on one album. Not to say the rest of their output was plain bad but they have only one album I truly love.
Entombed, Obituary, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Immolation, MalevolentCreation

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:08 am 

Might sound weird, but...

Edge Of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows

From what I've listened, this is their only album where they actually have their shit together from a songwriting perspective. Yeah the production has some issues, but the others are just not good. First two albums don't really have the hooks, Purgatory Afterglow's too groovy and chuggy, Infernal doesn't know what it wants to sound like, both Crimsons are a goddamn mess... ugh.

Sylosis - Cycle Of Suffering

Got into this fairly recently, but all of their other albums are just too scatterbrained to really stick out. There's like a couple songs on each that are good, but this is the only one where it all sticks.

Deathrow - Deception Ignored

They were once a normal, unremarkable German thrash band, and then here's a technical powerhouse that almost has a mind of its own with what it does to you when you listen. Currently like a top 2 all time album for me, the most amazing mindfuck I've ever experienced.

Trivium - Ascendancy

I could honestly call it something like that for the whole genre of metalcore. This is like the only album in the style that I've heard so far that actually succeeds at sounding like a real fucking metal album and not this plasticky assembly-line dreck of all the other big names.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

IrrationalBigBoy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:44 am 

The two that really jump into my mind the most right now are probably Night of the Stormrider for Iced Earth and Handle With Care for Nuclear Assault. I'd include Vio-lence's Eternal Nightmare too but this thread has already covered that ground covered pretty well.

Obviously the embarrassing assholery of Jon Schaffer needs no introduction on this site, as does the similarly embarrassing nature of Iced Earth's usual output, but I don't know; somehow, in 1991, the planets just fucking aligned perfectly or something and IE managed to crank out a perfectly crispy fusion of classic 80s west coast thrash and USPM with an itty bitty sprinkling of Possessed-style proto-death metal, all heightened by the dark and brooding but not overly corny atmosphere and John Greely's solid performance. Burnt Offerings and the debut had some good moments, but they're tainted too much by the horribly irritating cheese of the later albums to really catch me off guard like Stormrider did.

I don't have as much to say about Handle With Care because, unlike Iced Earth, I actually think some of Nuclear Assault's other albums are pretty neat too (particularly the preceding two), but they really just don't grab me the same way that the particular concoction of relentless riffage Handle With Care delivers does. The crunchy but satisfying mix coupled with the really snarly bass tone and the wall of reverb-drenched jackhammers that comprises Glenn's drums is probably also a factor.

Gas_Snake wrote:
Trivium - Ascendancy

I could honestly call it something like that for the whole genre of metalcore. This is like the only album in the style that I've heard so far that actually succeeds at sounding like a real fucking metal album and not this plasticky assembly-line dreck of all the other big names.

I have basically the same opinion, but honestly even Ascendancy doesn't sit perfectly with me just because I really dislike the weird bargain-bin emocore style of screaming Matt Heafy employed around that time.

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:31 pm 

Entombed (Left Hand Path)
Possessed (Seven Churches)
Obituary (Cause of Death)
Mercenary (The Hours That Remain)
Cryptopsy (And Then You'll Beg)

Even I don't get that last one but there it is.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:01 pm 

Corpsey the Clown wrote:

What do you not like about Clandestine and 11 Dreams?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:03 pm 

Corpsey the Clown wrote:
Obituary (Cause of Death).

You don't like Slowly We Rot? I actually prefer that album over COD, oddly enough.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:30 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Corpsey the Clown wrote:
Obituary (Cause of Death).

You don't like Slowly We Rot? I actually prefer that album over COD, oddly enough.

Same here. Not odd at all; uber vile, rotten, dark and twisted, Slowly We Rot is the epitome of what DEATH metal should portray. And Tardy's vocals are the shit!

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:11 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Corpsey the Clown wrote:

What do you not like about Clandestine and 11 Dreams?

Clandestine is all right but Left Hand Path is another level.

11 Dreams, just didn't feel it as much as The Hours. I thought Mercenary actually got better without the growling vocals, which isn't something I normally say about a metal band.

Nothing against Slowly We Rot but for whatever reason, Cause of Death is the only Obituary album I really wanted to hear more than once. Same with Gorguts' second album for that matter; Considered Dead is fun but I thought The Erosion of Sanity was just awesome.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:19 pm 

Impending Doom - Nailed. Dead. Risen
Brutal death inspired deathcore that has a very dark and brooding atmosphere. The production was far from perfect but made the album sound so much darker and heavier. Everything after that sounds cleaner, polished & sterile, they basically followed "This Is Exile" on the sound, artwork and even that beforehisfall logo style. The slipknot esque guitar tone on later material is also really off putting.

Nocturnus - The Key
One of my favourite albums, everything releases solely as Nocturnus after just doesn't hold up as well. Nocturnus AD's "Paradox" is a banger but

Massacre - From Beyond
Classic Floridian death metal. the following EP is decent enough but yeah, only need this specific release.

Metallica - Kill Em All
I've just lost interest in this band in general, I still appreciate the classic NWOBHM influences that shine through on this album but

Thy Art is Murder - The Adversary
"Holy War" and "Dear Desolation" weren't bad but I would really only say that their debut is worth owning. Very behemoth heavy influence and CJ's vocals are at their peak here.

Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Started out as a promising NWOBHM act, became an uninspired hard rock band.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:26 pm 

Auselesspileofflesh wrote:
Metallica - Kill Em All
I've just lost interest in this band in general, I still appreciate the classic NWOBHM influences that shine through on this album but

But what about RTL?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next