Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:33 pm 

Finnish funeral doom metal legends Skepticism will release their sixth full-length, Companion, through Svart Records on September 24. From the press release:

Quote:
Finnish Funeral Doom pioneers Skepticism celebrate their 30th anniversary with the release of their sixth full length album “Companion”. Released on the 24th of September 2021 via Svart Records, “Companion” takes the listener on a journey from Skepticism’s gloomy past through to a monument of a band that has weathered their liturgy for 3 decades of mournful service.

On “Companion”, Skepticism further refine their signature sound to engulf the listener in a cavernous heavy wall of organ and guitars laid to rest under an ominous cascade of hammering drums.

“Companion” was recorded and mixed at Sonic Pump Studios with Nino Laurenne. The way Skepticism works is set in stone, like a monument, with every album recorded the same way. The base tracks are laid down with the full band playing in free tempo, feeling every beat and crushing chord together. The atmosphere at the studio helped tremendously in capturing the essence of the songs in the recording of “Companion” and one that culminated in a very unique set of songs. The band is very satisfied with the result, with even Laurenne experiencing something new in the process.

“Companion”, holds the tradition of all Skepticism albums, containing six songs which draw from the deep well of the band’s history of songwriting, as well as introducing and incorporating some new elements.

On recording “Companion”, and introducing some rather unconventional techniques, engineer Nino Laurenne explains: “It took a while to get used to some of the unusual details on how the band plays and sounds. One such detail is the snare drum without the snares. Once I got used to them it became obvious that I should refrain from using some of the techniques I normally use when mixing. The drums for example retain the feel of the recorded performance very closely – and definitely have the longest reverbs I have ever used! A band with such a long history and a sound of their own is best presented in its natural form, even when it departs from common practices.”

Tracklisting:
1. Calla
2. The Intertwined
3. The March of the Four
4. Passage
5. The Inevitable
6. The Swan and the Raven

Calla has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show

I'm definitely digging the new track, it's a bit more upbeat than what I'd normally associate with Skepticism but that's not a bad thing.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:35 pm 

Best. News. Today.

That song sounds wholesome.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Cyrdarxes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:24 pm 

The song sounds like they melded together the production of Alloy with the style of Stormcrowfleet (especially the uplifting yet melancholic keys, in regards to the latter album), but also sounds entirely different at the same time.

Ordeal was not bad, but it was essentially a less interesting continuation of the sound they developed on Alloy. Let's hope this one doesn't continue that trend. So far, it sounds very promising.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:33 pm 

Eh, I thought that Ordeal was a more polished sounding Skepticism from Stormcrowfleet but nothing so desperately foreign to them like some reviewers made it seem. This new song has the riffs sounding spacious and the vocals really full, like he is making some big pronouncements. I like it.

Empyreal wrote:

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:37 pm 

What the fuck?! I thought they were done after that last album! Incredible news, I can't wait to hear it!

Cyrdarxes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:48 pm 

Why would you think they disbanded after that album? They never made any kind of announcement stating such.

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:30 pm 

Great news!

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:26 am 

I was one of the listeners disappointed by Ordeal, but this single sounds so amazing I'm totally hyped for the new album! The cover art is great too.

Seems like the theme for the album (kinda given by the name tbh) will be about the life spent together with a loved one as well as its ending. White callas are used to symbolize purity and usually placed in wedding ceremonies, and the song talks about crossing a bridge together. The rest of the song titles seem to round the idea up.

Perhaps there are Finns here to give further info on the symbology?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:05 am 

It sucks big time. Artificial, forced and simply hideous track. The change goes back to Alloy; it was already half a let down for me when they -obviously- decided to impair what made their music so unique: everything was restrained and introspective, and suddenly it became all upfront, rough and aggressive. This new track is even two steps further is this sabotage. A pity to behold.

obscure plasma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:25 am 

299796kms wrote:
Great news!

Excellent!!!!! :bow:
Orneblenda(It)

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:04 pm 

That new track is fantastic!! Bring on the album!

Black Earth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:02 am 

Glorious.
"What manifests from an act of freedom that is simple in its constitute, complex in its expression, wholistic in its representation, and singular in its conviction? Are you witnessing and experiencing essences?"

-BE

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:04 pm 

Sounds different but at the same time you know that they are Skepticism. Mandatory purchase!

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:07 pm 

Music video for the new single

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:45 pm 

On one hand, I like it - grand even for its limited runtime, darksome ominous atmosphere to the hilt, those VOCALS!! - but on the other, I feel like this band has lost all fucking subtlety and this is playing within that melodic Doom/Death style a bit too comfortably.

Empyreal wrote:

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:09 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
On one hand, I like it - grand even for its limited runtime, darksome ominous atmosphere to the hilt, those VOCALS!! - but on the other, I feel like this band has lost all fucking subtlety and this is playing within that melodic Doom/Death style a bit too comfortably.

Hard agree. The first 3 albums are untouchable, because they're subtle but ever since Alloy, they've gone down this weird gentrified death/doom path for the worst. This is MUCH better than Ordeal, but I think that the vocals are a bit too upfront, and the keys are too far back in the mix

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:42 pm 

I want this now!!!

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:23 pm 

Reviving this thread because the album is available to pre-order through Bandcamp for those that want it there... https://skepticism.bandcamp.com/

Also, the other Skepticism releases are available there too.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:55 pm 

Album is out in 5 minutes! I'm gonna listen to it now on Spotify then once my vinyl comes, on my home stereo

UPDATE: Their strongest since Farmakon. This album pleasantly surprised me with how similar it sounds to Farmakon, but with Alloy's production and "death/doom" moments. Huge variation in keys, which is awesome, some actual synths too which Skepticism hasn't used as of late. Surprisingly intricate too, which is weird for a Skepticism album. Alloy and Ordeal were a bit one note, and the first 3 were very minimalist and didn't sound like a band recorded the layers separately, but rather, as a whole.

I feel like this is the first album there is a noticeable layering that works in the bands favor. I get Ordeal was a live album, but the songs felt very forced, and very generic, whereas here, there are some wtf moments like the intro to Passage, which the drummer thought of in a dream, and the straight up death metal riffing that followed. This is easily their most aggressive work.

I'll write a whole review about it as soon as I can, but this is a very good Skepticism record, probably #4 after Stormcrowfleet, Farmakon and Lead & Aether

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:52 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Their strongest since Farmakon.

Oh word? I know you're a big fan so that got me hyped.

Empyreal wrote:

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:52 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Their strongest since Farmakon.

Oh word? I know you're a big fan so that got me hyped.

It's definitely more interesting than Alloy was, although I think one of the tracks is a bit weak, but I think this one crushes harder and has genuine risks to it, whereas Alloy is super safe and only has a few truly spectacular moments

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:15 pm 

Playing this now, and not being familiar with their work aside from Ordeal, this sounds pretty good. A nice, dreamlike wave of music. Mesmeric in its way. I can dig it.

Seems like it might have had its best ideas early on maybe - but it's definitely an intriguing and singular kinda listen.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:07 pm 

Nice. It's encouraging the feedback is positive so far. Not that I expect a total dud from Skepticism but sometimes being bland is bad enough.

I've liked the singles so far so I am looking forward to immersing myself in the full thing.

Empyreal wrote:

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:02 pm 

I'd like to listen to it in its entirety before deciding; their last couple of albums were so-so. Indeed, it's not StormCrowFleet, but then again, SCF's production was godawful, drowning the music within its quagmire.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 pm 

Floodland wrote:
I'd like to listen to it in its entirety before deciding; their last couple of albums were so-so. Indeed, it's not StormCrowFleet, but then again, SCF's production was godawful, drowning the music within its quagmire.

The production on SCF is incredible. So quiet, bassy, and heavy but so very soft as well. No other album sounds like it. Literally the greatest metal album ever

Like the end of The Gallant Crow, which imo is the best Skepticism song, sounds insane when you blast it. The lows are sooooo low and overwhelming

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:22 pm 

Yeah I have no qualms about the production on old Skepticism. Certainly one of the more interesting bands in that respect.

Empyreal wrote:

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:53 am 

WOW!! It's amazing!! I cannot wait for my vinyl copy to arrive and listen to it in my stereo system

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:56 am 

Cyrdarxes wrote:
Why would you think they disbanded after that album? They never made any kind of announcement stating such.

I could have sworn I read something about them calling it quits after Ordeal, either deciding to stop writing new music or just disbanding entirely. In any case, that album was 6 years ago and I hadn't heard a peep from the band since then, not even tour dates.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:27 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Cyrdarxes wrote:

I could have sworn I read something about them calling it quits after Ordeal, either deciding to stop writing new music or just disbanding entirely. In any case, that album was 6 years ago and I hadn't heard a peep from the band since then, not even tour dates.

That's normal for them to go radio silent, in fact, ever since Ordeal, I'd argue they've been super active on social media, relative to them before

The wait from Alloy to Ordeal was wayyyyy worse

Reply to topic