Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:39 pm 

Floodland wrote:
look what Sabbat did with Dreamweaver; they have elevated it to something of such higher standards that no one has even come close to breaking that record; an all encompassing thrash experience, the music, the lyrics (they fucking rhyme!), the concept, the vocals, the ART.

I presume you're a fan of the first Skyclad album too, which has better drumming than "Dreamweaver" although it doesn't thrash quite as hard.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:17 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
PPS: As far as I can see, nobody has mentioned Sacrifice yet. That's surprising because I thought they were a kind of hidden gem / cult band…

I listed them as an honorable mention...too many great bands. Also tough to pick an album from them, but I'd lean towards Soldiers of Misfortune.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
I gave Deliverance a chance and to me they're B-tier thrash. Truly terrible lyrics as well. Empyreal's vitriolic review of What A Joke made me chuckle. Weapons of Our Warfare is truly enjoyable though and their best.

Their other material is definitely inconsistent, but their s/t debut is pretty similar to WooW as well.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:26 pm 

robotiq wrote:
Floodland wrote:
look what Sabbat did with Dreamweaver; they have elevated it to something of such higher standards that no one has even come close to breaking that record; an all encompassing thrash experience, the music, the lyrics (they fucking rhyme!), the concept, the vocals, the ART.

I presume you're a fan of the first Skyclad album too, which has better drumming than "Dreamweaver" although it doesn't thrash quite as hard.

I never got Sabbat...give me the Japanese one instead (which, yes, were arguably more black than just thrash metal, but heh).

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:43 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Coastliner wrote:
PPS: As far as I can see, nobody has mentioned Sacrifice yet. That's surprising because I thought they were a kind of hidden gem / cult band…

I listed them as an honorable mention...too many great bands. Also tough to pick an album from them, but I'd lean towards Soldiers of Misfortune.

"Soldiers" is a masterpiece.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:03 pm 

I never understood the hype Sacrifice got. I mean, no disrespect, they make very solid thrash, but not one of their albums really stuck with me.

But if we're talking about Canadian thrash, I'm hoping Slaughter hasn't been mentioned because they're more of an early death/thrash. That's the main reason why they didn't make my list, but now that I've seen Deceased and the Japanese Sabbat mentioned, gotta make a plug for Strappado--such an important album for extreme metal.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:01 pm 

Maybe I'm biased as a Pennsylvanian, but on the subject of Christian thrash metal (parlaying off the discussion about Deliverance), Sacrament's Testimony Of Apocalypse is an extremely underrated gem. Wouldn't necessarily make my Top 10 and I'd put it a little bit behind Incubus' Serpent Temptation if we're mixing in early death/thrash (and yes, Possessed's Seven Churches and Revelations Of Oblivion are death/thrash, ANUS and all the other pseudo-purists need to get over themselves), but Sacrament really brought the goods considering both how later they were and how short of a run they had.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:16 pm 

The first time I did this, I just picked random albums and ranked them, but I'll give my actual top 10 now. Outside of #10, there isn't really anything here all that unique from other lists in terms of the bands that were selected, so it's not all that exciting IMO

Spoiler: show
10. Evildead - Annihilation of Civilization - Probably the most underrated thrash album ever. This band just always knew how to write riffs that were a little bit different, with Future Shock being the most obvious example. Another area that Evildead really excels in is gang vocals - they knew how to use them perfectly and did so quite often.

9. Sodom - Agent Orange - Sodom is often loved for how extreme their music was relative to their peers but that was never what made them great; it was always the songwriting. Agent Orange is the tightest selection of Sodom songs on any of their records, and I love the diversity it has. Ausgebombt is super punky and fun, Remember The Fallen is epic and one of the few slower/mid-paced thrash songs that nails it, and the Tank cover is awesome too. In between these three tracks is just constant thrashing. The break in Tired and Red is one of the all-time greatest thrash moments.

8. Overkill - The Years of Decay - My appreciation for Overkill has actually declined over the years, but this album, the debut, and Taking Over are all worthy of this spot. I picked TYOD because Elimination and I Hate are my two favourite Overkill songs, but every track on this record is great. I always point out how brutal the double bass is on Birth of Tension when talking about this album, and I have to do it again. Even if other bands played faster, nobody's double bass crushed like Overkill's here!

7. Artillery - By Inheritance - This album is the perfect package - unique riffs, tons of melody, and just an unmatched catchiness. I'm amazed that nobody has done anything in the vein of Artillery (themselves included) since this album was released because it's by far the most unique record on my list of 10 here.

6. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying - Their best work, marred only by I Ain't Superstitious. Aside from that, the attitude that permeates this record is unmatched. Dave's snarling complaints on the title track or the intro to Black Friday provide exactly the right level of angst for thrash. As always, the solos are exceptional, and My Last Words closes off the album in perfect fashion with the record's best solo. I'll also highlight that stomping breakdown riff in Wake Up Dead for being one of the few other instances of what I mentioned above in my comments on Evildead.

5. Metallica - Kill 'em All - This being the first album in the genre makes it so much purer than everything that would follow. The band sounds genuinely young here compared to even bands that were younger than them simply because they were exploring new territory. I always describe thrash metal as an arms race and this album is the most pivotal point in that race for me.

4. Exodus - Bonded By Blood - The imperfections of this album - especially vocally - are what makes this release so great. This is another band where gang vocals are done at a gold standard level. There are a couple of weaker tracks near the end, but the other 7 are basically perfect.

3. Kreator - Extreme Aggression - I've talked about this above, but I'll just add that it's so much more technical than it is given credit for, and IMO is more technical than Coma of Souls. Kreator was on to something here, and while I do like CoS, I almost wish they hadn't cleaned up their sound so much and stuck with the sheer anger of this record. Over time, I've found Terrible Certainty has grown on me as I realize the similarities between that album and this one.

2. Slayer - Reign in Blood - I can't bring anything new to the discussion on this, but I'll just say that all of the songs in the middle are great and this album is much more than its bookend songs. Necrophobic and Altar of Sacrifice are probably my two favourite tracks.

1. Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare - The most unique vocals in thrash meet with the best riffs to create the greatest album in any style of music. There are more riffs on this record than most other bands pack into their discography. The gang vocals are perfect (Kill on Command having the best instance). Perry Strickland gives quite possibly the best drum performance in thrash, and even the bass rules. While I feel this album is pretty tight as a whole, the guitar solos feel a bit sloppy and I think that adds to the urgency of the music, so I like it.

Amerigo wrote:
I never understood the hype Sacrifice got. I mean, no disrespect, they make very solid thrash, but not one of their albums really stuck with me.

Sacrifice often seems praised for their first couple of records, but I would say that their better works are Soldiers of Misfortune and Apocalypse Inside (though it seems there's some consensus on Soldiers in this thread). Both albums have way better production and a shorter tracklist with more developed songs.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:24 pm 

^
I mostly like that you've mentioned Artillery whom everyone else seems to be sleeping on. By Inheritance is excellent and timeless but even Fear of Tomorrow is memorable enough.

Also surprised about the lack of Demolition Hammer in this thread.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:28 pm 

I guess Xentrix qualifies as B-tier thrash too.

Empyreal wrote:

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:38 pm 

^
I mostly like that you've mentioned Artillery whom everyone else seems to be sleeping on. By Inheritance is excellent and timeless but even Fear of Tomorrow is memorable enough.

Also surprised about the lack of Demolition Hammer in this thread.

By Inheritance would definitely make my Top 20, probably would put it somewhere between 12 and 15. As for Demolition Hammer, I think the issue was that they got to the scene a bit late and I think there is a natural bias towards stuff that came out of the mid-80s as opposed to the early 90s. Tortured Existence is a solid effort and Epidemic Of Violence was equal in sheer ferocity to Tapping The Vein, but not quite something that I'd put in my Top 10.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:50 pm 

Xentrix's For Whose Advantage is the back patch on my jacket, so I love them!

As for Demolition Hammer, their problem is that they spread their greatness evenly across two albums. A lot of bands put all of their best work into one album and never came close again. I can't even decide if I prefer Tortured Existence or Epidemic of Violence.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:57 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Sacrifice often seems praised for their first couple of records, but I would say that their better works are Soldiers of Misfortune and Apocalypse Inside (though it seems there's some consensus on Soldiers in this thread). Both albums have way better production and a shorter tracklist with more developed songs.

Hah, glad it's not just me! I always thought Apocalypse Inside was their most interesting album out of the three that I actually listened to (Forward, Soldiers, and Apocalypse).

Artillery has one of my favorite early thrash metal demos, "We are the Dead." And I literally just found out it finally got a re-release on their "In the Trash" compilation in 2019!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:05 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Xentrix's For Whose Advantage is the back patch on my jacket, so I love them!

As for Demolition Hammer, their problem is that they spread their greatness evenly across two albums. A lot of bands put all of their best work into one album and never came close again. I can't even decide if I prefer Tortured Existence or Epidemic of Violence.

They're the definitive one-two punch. Time for me to revisit that Xentrix album too.

Just out of curiosity, what Tankard album(s) is considered a classic of the genre? I know they were mentioned but not for a particular album.

Empyreal wrote:

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:24 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
As for Demolition Hammer, I think the issue was that they got to the scene a bit late and I think there is a natural bias towards stuff that came out of the mid-80s as opposed to the early 90s. Tortured Existence is a solid effort and Epidemic Of Violence was equal in sheer ferocity to Tapping The Vein, but not quite something that I'd put in my Top 10.

Demolition Hammer is suffering because they are without a doubt a death/thrash band (unlike Possessed who are thrash). The other reason could be that their albums are just not as good as the other classics being listed. Heavy as fuck and they dish out a good sound beating to the eardrums and I love em for it, but the songs get a bit samey.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:31 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what Tankard album(s) is considered a classic of the genre? I know they were mentioned but not for a particular album.

The first 3 or 4 are all you need. Zombie Attack in particular is a bunch of fun.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:42 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Amerigo wrote:

My favourite is Forward To Termination but Soldiers Of Misfortune is a very close 2nd. Apocalyse Inside is excellent too. I like the development from 1st to 4th, a great example of a band mastering their craft. But ultimately, as much as I dig em, they wouldn't make my top 20.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:37 pm 

Tankard is a great band, but I wouldn't say their best work competes with a lot of what we've discussed in this thread. I own all of their albums except The Tankard (which I still can't find), and my favourites are Zombie Attack, Stone Cold Sober, Kings of Beer, Beast of Bourbon, and The Beauty and The Beer. I know a lot of people like their first few, but only Zombie Attack is stronger from that era - the rest are average thrash albums for me.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:51 am 

since they have somehow not been mentioned yet, i gotta bring up how great a death/thrash album solstice's self-titled debut is - ferocious stuff

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:13 am 

I'm not a big thrash fan, and I tend to prefer the stuff that verges on death metal. However it was an important genre to me when I first started getting into metal.

10. Sodom - Persecution Mania
9. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
8. Anthrax - Among The Living
7. Sadus - Swallowed In Black
6. Sacred Reich - Ignorance
5. Sacrosanct - Truth is / What is
4. Testament - The New Order
3. Slayer - Show No Mercy
2. Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Honourable mentions that are probably not considered thrash enough for the list include Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum, Atheist - Piece Of Time, Protector - A Shedding Of Skin, Suicidal Tendencies - Still Cyco... (yes I know - I like the re-recordings better)

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:24 am 

Evil_Obsidian wrote:
Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum

Oh come on ffs...

Empyreal wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:28 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Demolition Hammer is suffering because they are without a doubt a death/thrash band (unlike Possessed who are thrash).

Nice try, but you're clearly wrong here.

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm 

Full disclosure first: Thrash is my least fave extreme Metal sub which could surprise some because I am old enough to witness its birth firsthand back in early 80s ( I was 12 in 1983). So my list wasn't too hard to compile considering my preferences are very limited in Thrash as oppose to DM/BM. No real surprises here...though my fave Sodom/Kreator albums may raise a few eyebrows, haha

10) OVERKILL- Feel The Fire
9) POSSESSED- Seven Churches
8) ANTHRAX- Among The Living
7) SODOM- In The Sign Of Evil (EP)
6) MEGADETH- Peace Sells...

5) KREATOR- Endless Pain...Nasty, Dirty and that is how I love my Thrash. I've worshiped this album for decades. Never really got into more technical stuff of theirs after this.

4) METALLICA- And Justice For All...My 2d fave Metallica album, in fact by miles. Ways better than much overhyped MOP, which really always put me to sleep save for a title track.

3) METALLICA- RTL. My eyes were almost popping out when I heard it 1st time. "Creeping Death" is my fave Thrash song ever. So good!

2) SLAYER- Reign In Blood...Just magnificent! Harsh and straight to the point. They've done more on this album than most Thrash bands can do in their entire discography.

1) SLAYER- Show No Mercy...Not only my fave Thrash album but my top 10 Metal album in general. Almost 40 years later I still admire their unbridled enthusiasm on this. SNM pretty much is responsible for turning my world upside down in early 80s and for that I am immensely thankful!

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:34 pm 

colin040 wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Demolition Hammer is suffering because they are without a doubt a death/thrash band (unlike Possessed who are thrash).

Nope. Clearly right and no ANUS's or pseudo-purism required to be right.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:56 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
colin040 wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:

Nope. Clearly right and no ANUS's or pseudo-purism required to be right.

Eh, I think you should have thrown that last phrase my way. :-P

I'm not sure why some are so hellbent on disqualifying Seven Churches as a pioneering death metal effort that arose out of the thrash scene, maybe doing so is somehow stipulating that the influence of Slayer's Hell Awaits is diminished in the process? I get that they dropped all the death metal elements on Beyond The Gates and were a bit inconsistent (I think this tends to be the case for most bands that are early to a new subgenre), but when considering how close Becerra's vocals are to what Chuck Schuldiner and Kam Lee were doing in the mid-80s and how the riffing clearly blurs the lines between the Bay Area thrashing style and what would become the late 80s Florida approach, I don't think MA is mistaken in how Possessed's page has been labeled.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:21 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I'm not sure why some are so hellbent on disqualifying Seven Churches as a pioneering death metal effort that arose out of the thrash scene, maybe doing so is somehow stipulating that the influence of Slayer's Hell Awaits is diminished in the process? I get that they dropped all the death metal elements on Beyond The Gates and were a bit inconsistent (I think this tends to be the case for most bands that are early to a new subgenre), but when considering how close Becerra's vocals are to what Chuck Schuldiner and Kam Lee were doing in the mid-80s and how the riffing clearly blurs the lines between the Bay Area thrashing style and what would become the late 80s Florida approach, I don't think MA is mistaken in how Possessed's page has been labeled.

I think Seven Churches is only considered death metal because of the production and a band that shall we say... were still learning their instruments.
BTG wasn't that different songwise but the production was cleaner and the band tighter, strangely the songs weren't as good. Eyes of Horror was fantastic tho, great songs and production. Death/Thrash is a fair term for them but Death metal they are not. They're difficult to pigeon hole like Celtic Frost, Venom and Bathory.
I'll put it this way, I can put Possessed in a thrash metal list a lot easier than a death metal list.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:26 pm 

Yeah Possessed is very ambiguous and there's a sort of consensus about that. Way more than primarily death metal bands like Pestilence and Vader that some would forcibly try to firstly associate with thrash.

Empyreal wrote:

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:17 pm 

I always felt the whole "is Seven Churches death metal?" debate overinflated their debut to unfairly overshadow Beyond the Gates. Yeah, Beyond the Gates isn't a maybe-first in anything, but it's such a damn good thrash record.

King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 pm 

How I see it is that Side A of Seven Churches is 70% death metal, Side B is 70% thrash metal. It's just an incredibly idiosyncratic album that doesn't really fit into what any other band was doing at the time.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:26 am 

1. Slayer - Reign In Blood

For me, the pinnacle of the genre. The definition of all killer, no filler. I love the first five records to death, but RIB wears the crown.

2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Another peak of the genre, arguably the best ever in terms of guitar work and production. Again, I love the first four Megadeth albums, and So Far So Good was my introduction and remains a personal favorite, but I don't think anyone can argue against RIP as one of the all time killer thrash albums of all time.

3. Metallica - Kill 'em All

On any given day I might want to rank this one as THE greatest thrash album ever...yeah, it's that damned good. Still the best thing they ever did IMO, and contains some of the crunchiest thrash riffage ever. Just pure energy.

4. Exodus - Bonded By Blood

Another serious candidate for greatest of all time status. Screaming Paul can sometimes grate the nerves a bit, but every song, riff, and solo on the album rules. Few albums match up in terms of nasty attitude.

5. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

Unbelievably pummeling and aggressive. Production is a bit muddy, but like the albums above, the quality of the songs is off the charts.

6. Overkill - The Years Of Decay

I think Overkill really hit a big peak on this one, all of their early albums are great, but Years Of Decay had better production and just crushes extra hard.

7. Flotsam And Jetsam - No Place For Disgrace

Totally top notch guitar work and vocals on this one, better than the debut in my opinion and sadly the last REALLY killer album F&J ever did. Very memorable too.

8. Kreator - Pleasure To Kill

Had to include this as an all time essential, in terms of total savagery this is an album that is hard to beat. I personally prefer the next three albums in some ways, but PTK has to be considered a top ten thrasher.

9. Sodom - Agent Orange

Tired And Red....'nuff said.

10. Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence

Finished off my personal top ten with the DA debut. Some absolutely killer playing on this one, especially on the title track. For their ages, they were an incredibly advanced band musically. I think this one wipes the floor with the debuts from most of the other 2nd generation bay area bashers.

Runners up:

Onslaught - Power From Hell
Destruction - Release From Agony
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Artillery - By Inheritance
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:03 am 

brain hammer wrote:
1. Slayer - Reign In Blood

For me, the pinnacle of the genre. The definition of all killer, no filler. I love the first five records to death, but RIB wears the crown.

2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Another peak of the genre, arguably the best ever in terms of guitar work and production. Again, I love the first four Megadeth albums, and So Far So Good was my introduction and remains a personal favorite, but I don't think anyone can argue against RIP as one of the all time killer thrash albums of all time.

3. Metallica - Kill 'em All

On any given day I might want to rank this one as THE greatest thrash album ever...yeah, it's that damned good. Still the best thing they ever did IMO, and contains some of the crunchiest thrash riffage ever. Just pure energy.

4. Exodus - Bonded By Blood

Another serious candidate for greatest of all time status. Screaming Paul can sometimes grate the nerves a bit, but every song, riff, and solo on the album rules. Few albums match up in terms of nasty attitude.

5. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends

Unbelievably pummeling and aggressive. Production is a bit muddy, but like the albums above, the quality of the songs is off the charts.

6. Overkill - The Years Of Decay

I think Overkill really hit a big peak on this one, all of their early albums are great, but Years Of Decay had better production and just crushes extra hard.

7. Flotsam And Jetsam - No Place For Disgrace

Totally top notch guitar work and vocals on this one, better than the debut in my opinion and sadly the last REALLY killer album F&J ever did. Very memorable too.

8. Kreator - Pleasure To Kill

Had to include this as an all time essential, in terms of total savagery this is an album that is hard to beat. I personally prefer the next three albums in some ways, but PTK has to be considered a top ten thrasher.

9. Sodom - Agent Orange

Tired And Red....'nuff said.

10. Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence

Finished off my personal top ten with the DA debut. Some absolutely killer playing on this one, especially on the title track. For their ages, they were an incredibly advanced band musically. I think this one wipes the floor with the debuts from most of the other 2nd generation bay area bashers.

Runners up:

Onslaught - Power From Hell
Destruction - Release From Agony
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Artillery - By Inheritance
Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

This is an excellent list, and one that aligns very closely with my own shortlist of personal favourites (though I'd be finding room for Vio-Lence's Eternal Nightmare and Forbidden's Twisted Into Form in either the Top 10 or the runners up group).

Ragemanistan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:17 am 

1) Testament - The Legacy
2) Slayer - Reign In Blood
3) Vendetta - Go And Live . . . Stay And Die
4) Metallica - Ride The Lightning
5) Exodus - Bonded By Blood
6) Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
7) Viking - Man Of Straw
8) Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
9) Kreator - Terrible Certainty
10) Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
11) Destruction - Infernal Overkill
12) Over Kill - Taking Over
13) Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
14) Artillery - By Inheritance
15) Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
16) Intruder - Psycho Savant
17) Powermad - Absolute Power
18) Toxik - World Circus
19) Metal Church - The Dark
20) Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse
21) Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
22) Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
23) Sodom - Agent Orange
24) Xentrix - Shattered Existence
25) Mortal Sin - Face Of Despair

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:42 am 

Amerigo wrote:
I always felt the whole "is Seven Churches death metal?" debate overinflated their debut to unfairly overshadow Beyond the Gates. Yeah, Beyond the Gates isn't a maybe-first in anything, but it's such a damn good thrash record.

Indeed. It's a classic and, while I recognize the influence (and kick-ass nature) of the debut, I find BTG to be far superior.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:01 pm 

Ragemanistan wrote:
1) Testament - The Legacy
2) Slayer - Reign In Blood
3) Vendetta - Go And Live . . . Stay And Die
4) Metallica - Ride The Lightning
5) Exodus - Bonded By Blood
6) Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
7) Viking - Man Of Straw
8) Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
9) Kreator - Terrible Certainty
10) Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
11) Destruction - Infernal Overkill
12) Over Kill - Taking Over
13) Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
14) Artillery - By Inheritance
15) Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
16) Intruder - Psycho Savant
17) Powermad - Absolute Power
18) Toxik - World Circus
19) Metal Church - The Dark
20) Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse
21) Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
22) Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
23) Sodom - Agent Orange
24) Xentrix - Shattered Existence
25) Mortal Sin - Face Of Despair

The first 15 or so on here would EASILY be on my list. The most in common with my tastes for the genre that I’ve read here so far.

robotiq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:55 pm 

colin040 wrote:
robotiq wrote:
Floodland wrote:

I never got Sabbat...

Challenge accepted... time to write a 4,000 word multi-part essay on this subject ;-)

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:19 pm 

I wrote a blog post (when people were still doing that) years ago (2009) on my favorite thrash bands. Relevant to this thread!

https://twophoton.wordpress.com/2009/05 ... h-1985-89/

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:52 pm 

1. Kreator - Coma of Souls (The greatest thrash album ever)
2. Coroner - No More Colour
3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
4. Metal Church - Debut
5. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
6. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
7. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
8. Protector - Golem
9. Artillery - By Inheritance
10. Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

Yep, Kreator is there twice and it is obvious I prefer the European scene.

Like your reviews?

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:31 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
1. Kreator - Coma of Souls (The greatest thrash album ever)
2. Coroner - No More Colour
3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
4. Metal Church - Debut
5. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
6. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
7. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
8. Protector - Golem
9. Artillery - By Inheritance
10. Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

Yep, Kreator is there twice and it is obvious I prefer the European scene.

5 of those bands aren't European, so its lookin 50/50 to me. Maybe if it was 70/30 it would be more obvious, hell even a majority 60/40 would've been more helpful. Shit if it had Sodom or Destruction or even Sabbat then that would be way more obvious. As it stands I'm lookin at that list thinkin "why are there 4 better albums below Coma of Souls?".

MetalManiaCometh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:25 am 

When taking into consideration about the whole thrash scene of that time (you know, the classics) I usually don’t like to make a list going from 1-10 with the #1 spot being the representation of what I view the best of the best, unless it’s talking about 1 bands discography specifically. Personally I don’t think when I compare what I believe are the top 10 thrash records, one album doesn’t outweigh the rest in being “better” as many of these albums have their own pros and cons and each album / band has a sound and identity that the other doesn’t. So to sum it up, my top 10 is not going to have a specific order as I view them equally.

•By Inheritance (Artillery): probably in my top 5 favorite thrash records, By Inheritance is an absolute treat. It’s technical, it’s catchy, it tries to do something different adding in some eastern musical elements, and Flemming is at the top of his game on this record. Just an excellent release that deserves larger attention.

•Ride The Lightning (Metallica): what else is there to really say about RTL? It’s Metallica’s best and one of the crowning achievements of the genre.

•Coma Of Souls (Kreator): I personally prefer Pleasure To Kill but Coma Of Souls is definitely their best. Kreator really did have one of the best runs back in the 80s / early 90s.

•Seasons Of The Abyss (Slayer): shocker! Yeah I know it isn’t South or RIB or Hell Awaits but I’ve always found SOTA to be the accumulation of everything the band has developed thus far.

•Horrorscope (Overkill): Overkills best record hands down (and the album that made me a life long thrash fan). I personally find The Years Of Decay to be near perfect but this record was somehow able to improve upon it ever so slightly. But honestly, I could throw any of Overkills first 5 records here and I’d be totally fine with it.

•Alice In Hell (Annihilator): Jeff Waters was one of the few guitarists I viewed that could give Dave a run for his money, if only this came out earlier…

•Rust In Peace (Megadeth): Speaking of Dave, I had half a mind to put Peace Sells here as I much prefer that record but after doing some duel listenings, RIP really deserves the spot. This is Dave at his most technical and frantic and god dammit the whole thing is excellent, even with the useless Dawn Patrol taking up track space.

•Release From Agony (Destruction): Destruction at their most vicious, their most technical. The album just rips from beginning to end. Even little neo-classical flairs to be found as well.

•Beneath The Remains (Sepultura): Sepultura really came into their own here, refining what was established with their last record. Arise gets close to this but Beneath The Remains edges it out just a touch more.

•Forbidden Evil (Forbidden): I might be one of the few that think Forbidden’s debut is better than Twisted Into Form but I think this record is a perfect debut and while TIF is fairly more technical, I think Forbidden Evil as a whole is much more balanced.

So yeah, that’s my 10 and honestly, I could switch out some of these albums here depending on my mood as I still find a great deal of records that could equal up to the quality these records exhibit. Of course I could list off all the bands and albums but that would just take up a great deal of time.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:42 am 

MetalManiaCometh wrote:
•Forbidden Evil (Forbidden): I might be one of the few that think Forbidden’s debut is better than Twisted Into Form but I think this record is a perfect debut and while TIF is fairly more technical, I think Forbidden Evil as a whole is much more balanced.

I agree with this a lot. People seemed to prefer Twisted Into Form, but the songs are Forbidden Evil are much better. I also think it's more technical than TIF.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:07 pm 

Runner-ups:

Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare (testosterone overload)
Kreator - Coma Of Souls
Anthrax - Spreading The Disease

Top 6 (literally perfect):

#6. Destruction - The Antichrist (time period be damned, this is so unabashedly violent and catchy that many, myself included, still call this the best thing they ever did)
#5. Overkill - Feel The Fire (basically the pinnacle of that '83 proto-thrash aesthetic. Has more attitude packed into it than other entire bands).
#4. Voivod - Killing Technology (arguably the most unique thing in the style that I know of, Dimension Hatross is kind of borderline, but this is still firmly a thrash album).
#3. Artillery - By Inheritance (Flashy Riffs: The Album. Holy Christ, "Khomaniac" alone could murder like 98% of what y'all are posting).
#2. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (The purest, thrashiest thrash that ever thrashed, and it maintains a songwriting depth and catchiness that no one else ever did with that level of aggression).

THE MYTH, THE LEGEND, THE GOD ALBUM, THE GREAT FUCKING EQUALIZER:

#1. Deathrow - Deception Ignored

Just... no amount of words could ever do this fucker justice. Just give it more than a few listens if you're interested.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next