Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:56 am 

Gas_Snake wrote:

THE MYTH, THE LEGEND, THE GOD ALBUM, THE GREAT FUCKING EQUALIZER:

#1. Deathrow - Deception Ignored

Just... no amount of words could ever do this fucker justice. Just give it more than a few listens if you're interested.

This got me thinking about the B and C grade stuff coming out in Europe. The B team from the States was IMO way way better. When I was exploring the European B team thrashers in the late 90s & early to mid 00s, I dove into it based on recs from mags and lists online, maybe even MA back in it's early days, I can't honestly remember, but I was hungry for it.
So I got the first 2 or 3 albums by bands like Assassin, Violent Force, Iron Angel, Messiah, Bulldozer, Protector, Darkness, Cyclone, Vendetta, Paradox, Necronomicon, Holy Moses, Mekong Delta and Deathrow. Now with Deathrow I had to buy bootleg CDs back then but I only got the first 3 albums so I stopped short of Deception Ignored, cause like the rest of those bands, everything was so extremely average. Your enthusiasm for that album makes me want to check it out tho.
There were great B team bands that stuck for me like Artillery, Exumer, Necrodeath, Agony and Tankard. But yeah, ultimately I think the B team from the States shits on the European B team.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:35 am 

I owned Deathrow's Raging Steel and it was so weak and bland. I am not familiar with Deception Ignored, is it any different?
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Ragemanistan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:22 am 

des91 wrote:
Ragemanistan wrote:
1) Testament - The Legacy
2) Slayer - Reign In Blood
3) Vendetta - Go And Live . . . Stay And Die
4) Metallica - Ride The Lightning
5) Exodus - Bonded By Blood
6) Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
7) Viking - Man Of Straw
8) Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
9) Kreator - Terrible Certainty
10) Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
11) Destruction - Infernal Overkill
12) Over Kill - Taking Over
13) Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
14) Artillery - By Inheritance
15) Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
16) Intruder - Psycho Savant
17) Powermad - Absolute Power
18) Toxik - World Circus
19) Metal Church - The Dark
20) Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse
21) Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
22) Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
23) Sodom - Agent Orange
24) Xentrix - Shattered Existence
25) Mortal Sin - Face Of Despair

The first 15 or so on here would EASILY be on my list. The most in common with my tastes for the genre that I’ve read here so far.

Thanks! And I somehow left off a few classics including Megadeth (Peace Sells), Death Angel (The Ultra Violence), Heathen (Victims Of Deception), Whiplash (Power And Pain), S.O.D., and Nuclear Assault (Survive)

Here's my updated 25 . . . ummmm . . . now 40
1) Testament - The Legacy
2) Slayer - Reign In Blood
3) Vendetta - Go And Live . . . Stay And Die
4) Metallica - Ride The Lightning
5) Exodus - Bonded By Blood
6) Megadeth - Peace Sells . . . But Who's Buying
7) Anthrax - Spreading The Disease
8) Viking - Man Of Straw
9) Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
10) Kreator - Terrible Certainty
11) Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
12) Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
13) Destruction - Infernal Overkill
14) Over Kill - Taking Over
15) Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
16) Artillery - By Inheritance
17) Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
18) Annihilator - Alison Hell
19) Intruder - Psycho Savant
20) Pestilence - Consvming Impvlse
21) Whiplash - Power And Pain
22) Powermad - Absolute Power
23) Toxik - World Circus
24) Metal Church - The Dark
25) Coroner - Punishment For Decadence
26) Heathen - Victims Of Deception
27) Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse
28) S.O.D. - Speak English Or Die
29) Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
30) Possessed - Beyond The Gates
31) Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
32) Nuclear Assault - Survive
33) Sodom - Agent Orange
34) Forced Entry - Uncertain Future
35) Realm - Endless War
36) Xentrix - Shattered Existence
37) Mortal Sin - Face Of Despair
38) Wargasm - Why Play Around?
39) Grinder - Dawn For The Living
40) At War - Retaliatory Strike

Coastliner
Metal newbie

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:23 am 

Floodland wrote:
I owned Deathrow's Raging Steel and it was so weak and bland. I am not familiar with Deception Ignored, is it any different?

Very different, sounds like a different band because it was a tech thrash album whereas "Riders of Doom" and "Raging Steel" weren't. "Deception Ignored" has many fans. Check it out.

However, it's a matter of taste, the album doesn't work for me at all because of the underwhelming vocals. In tech thrash you expect the vocals to be out of the ordinary, either technically brilliant or weird somehow or other, but here it's the same common-or-garden voice as on the other albums. In my view, the voice works best on "Raging Steel", my favourite one from Deathrow (and doesn't "Dragon's Blood" have a fantastic chorus?).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:26 am 

Ragemanistan wrote:
des91 wrote:
Ragemanistan wrote:
13) Helloween - Walls Of Jericho

20) Pestilence - Consvming Impvlse

These aren't thrash metal albums, but they're good picks either way. :p

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:00 am 

Floodland wrote:

It is an absolute mindfuck. If you're willing to check it out, pro tip: Give it time. Keep at it, it is not something you're going to comprehend on your first listen. Took me a good 3-4 months to "get" it, before I had to kinda take it in in small chunks because my brain would implode on itself midway through the first song. Seriously, this shit's like a mental institution put to music.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:38 am 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Floodland wrote:

It is an absolute mindfuck. If you're willing to check it out, pro tip: Give it time. Keep at it, it is not something you're going to comprehend on your first listen. Took me a good 3-4 months to "get" it, before I had to kinda take it in in small chunks because my brain would implode on itself midway through the first song. Seriously, this shit's like a mental institution put to music.

Got me intrigued. Best musical outputs are the ones that sink slowly. Thanks.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:50 am 

I like my thrash mean, dirty and veering towards death metal. So you won't find Metallica, Megadeth or Anthrax up in this shit.
Also, one album per band.

10. Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
9. Sabbat - Dreamweaver
8. Sadus - Illusions
7. Sodom - Obsessed by Cruelty
6. Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
5. Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence
4. Slayer - Show No Mercy
3. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
2. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
ALL HAIL 1. Sepultura - Schizophrenia

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:19 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
1. Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Holy fuck… are you like, me?

Finally somebody else realizes that THIS is the greatest Thrash album ever. There are so many riffs on this thing that it matches any tech thrash album in that department. They’re all evil sounding so it’s unwelcome and sounds like proto-death Metal as well. Max’s vocals are evil as fuck, never sounded as evil as this (and the weird production on them is amazing, it fits the music perfectly).

I fucking love the next two albums from them too but this is otherworldly. Septic Schizo sounds downright SCARY, most Thrash or even extreme metal in general doesn’t give off that vibe for me but that song does. And the production is perfect for this type of music. It’s supposed to be dirty and evil and imperfect sounding people!

Schizophrenia is the GOAT Thrash album and my all time favorite Metal album \m/.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:33 am 

Schizophrenia is my favorite Sepultura album too...I definitely prefer it over BtR, too: the vocals actually sound expressive and the songs stick far better.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:48 am 

Ah, yes, glad to see others appreciate just the way Schizophrenia strings the riffs together. I love how you can easily look at it as one big linear riff-fest, and it manages to progress so well just by switching out different sections seemingly on a whim.

May I perhaps recommend Possessed's Seven Churches for a similar chaotic sound?

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:05 pm 

Ragemanistan wrote:
39) Grinder - Dawn For The Living

Fuck yeah, Grinder! Always felt like they were forgotten to the passage of time, so nice to see them get a mention.

If you aren't familiar with their 1st EP, I highly recommend it. Reeling on the Edge has what I feel is one of the best, most balls-to-the-wall thrash metal guitar solos out there.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:44 pm 

des91 wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
1. Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Holy fuck… are you like, me?

Finally somebody else realizes that THIS is the greatest Thrash album ever. There are so many riffs on this thing that it matches any tech thrash album in that department. They’re all evil sounding so it’s unwelcome and sounds like proto-death Metal as well. Max’s vocals are evil as fuck, never sounded as evil as this (and the weird production on them is amazing, it fits the music perfectly).

I fucking love the next two albums from them too but this is otherworldly. Septic Schizo sounds downright SCARY, most Thrash or even extreme metal in general doesn’t give off that vibe for me but that song does. And the production is perfect for this type of music. It’s supposed to be dirty and evil and imperfect sounding people!

Schizophrenia is the GOAT Thrash album and my all time favorite Metal album \m/.

I am, in fact, you.

The sheer amount of quality riffs, the violent soundscape, Igor's sloppy tom tuning fills, the best fucking riffstorm of an instrumental metal song ever...

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:53 pm 

Gas_Snake wrote:

It has been awhile since I gave that one a full spin. Unfortunately, it never clicked with me as full length. Some individual songs are fantastic (The Exorcist, Pentagram, title track, Fallen Angel and Death Metal). But the others never stuck. I’ll try it again though! Jeff’s vocals were always the standout; they are amazing.

Is Beyond the Gates just as good for you, or not as strong?

MetalManiaCometh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:27 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
MetalManiaCometh wrote:
•Forbidden Evil (Forbidden): I might be one of the few that think Forbidden’s debut is better than Twisted Into Form but I think this record is a perfect debut and while TIF is fairly more technical, I think Forbidden Evil as a whole is much more balanced.

I agree with this a lot. People seemed to prefer Twisted Into Form, but the songs are Forbidden Evil are much better. I also think it's more technical than TIF.

I’d have to listen to both back to back but to my memory, Twisted Into Form is just has smidge more technical flourishes going on. But anyways, yeah I still stand by FE being better than TIF; just by a little though. I know stuff like Bonded By Blood and The Legacy can get up there in my list but honestly, I found thrash debuts like Forbidden Evil or Feel The Fire to be overall better. Really hard to list these things out when there’s so many quality releases from this time.

Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 pm 

des91 wrote:
Gas_Snake wrote:

It has been awhile since I gave that one a full spin. Unfortunately, it never clicked with me as full length. Some individual songs are fantastic (The Exorcist, Pentagram, title track, Fallen Angel and Death Metal). But the others never stuck. I’ll try it again though! Jeff’s vocals were always the standout; they are amazing.

Is Beyond the Gates just as good for you, or not as strong?

It's alright, it's just different. Very clinical, more pure thrash aesthetic going on, doesn't really have that same sound that defines them as a pioneering band IMO.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:25 pm 

Sepultura - Schizophrenia

Damn sleeper album. Deserves all the credit it gets. That run of four albums (Schizophrenia - Chaos AD) can rival any bands output. I still favour Arise as the #1 Sep album but everytime I listen to Schizophrenia I keep kicking myself for not listening to it more.

I literally only got Demolition Hammer this year (I dunno how the fuck I missed it over the years) and while it's not on my list, it's knocking on the door.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:17 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
mjollnir wrote:
1. Kreator - Coma of Souls (The greatest thrash album ever)
2. Coroner - No More Colour
3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
4. Metal Church - Debut
5. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
6. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
7. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
8. Protector - Golem
9. Artillery - By Inheritance
10. Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

Yep, Kreator is there twice and it is obvious I prefer the European scene.

5 of those bands aren't European, so its lookin 50/50 to me. Maybe if it was 70/30 it would be more obvious, hell even a majority 60/40 would've been more helpful. Shit if it had Sodom or Destruction or even Sabbat then that would be way more obvious. As it stands I'm lookin at that list thinkin "why are there 4 better albums below Coma of Souls?".

Well, as I said, Coma of Souls is the greatest thrash album ever so that is why there are albums under it. Yep....I guess it is 50/50. Beneath The Remains has more in common with Kreator and Sodom and their sound is way more European. Not sure everyone thinks they are more similar to Slayer.

Like your reviews?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:17 pm 

I like Coma of Souls but it really is NOT the "greatest thrash metal album ever". And Schizophrenia is not as immediate and memorable as Beneath the Remains which is a THRASH album where Schizo is treading the line between thrash and death, excellent album though it is.

The hot takes usually get more outlandish by page 3 or 4 of long threads so no surprises, I guess.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:53 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
mjollnir wrote:
1. Kreator - Coma of Souls (The greatest thrash album ever)
2. Coroner - No More Colour
3. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
4. Metal Church - Debut
5. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
6. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
7. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
8. Protector - Golem
9. Artillery - By Inheritance
10. Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis

Yep, Kreator is there twice and it is obvious I prefer the European scene.

5 of those bands aren't European, so its lookin 50/50 to me. Maybe if it was 70/30 it would be more obvious, hell even a majority 60/40 would've been more helpful. Shit if it had Sodom or Destruction or even Sabbat then that would be way more obvious. As it stands I'm lookin at that list thinkin "why are there 4 better albums below Coma of Souls?".

Well, as I said, Coma of Souls is the greatest thrash album ever so that is why there are albums under it. Yep....I guess it is 50/50. Beneath The Remains has more in common with Kreator and Sodom and their sound is way more European. Not sure everyone thinks they are more similar to Slayer.

Because Arise sounds like Slayer.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4