Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:23 pm 

Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer

The Mind's I and Projector could have worked as well, but I have some specific experiences especially with "Through Ebony Archways", listening to this track while walking down some wooden paths near the woods at dusk, lighted by lanterns, and this track always evokes those memories again.

Daylight Dies - A Frail Becoming

Any of their last three albums would do, it doesn't really matter. But their music always feels like a walk through the forest, not quite knowing what will be around the next bend.

Eventide - Diaries From the Gallows

Especially the acoustic work and violin on tracks like "Vargavidderna", it feels like a November campfire.

Kingfisher Sky - Skin of the Earth

Hallway of Dreams and their latest two also work well on many tracks. But this album has such a perfect autumn feel, where it's not bright out, but it's not quite overcast either. All the acoustic guitars, cello, piano, and sometimes percussion enhance the melancholy mood.

Lethian Dreams - Red Silence Lodge

This really taps into the ethereal feel of autumn mists surrounding you with enchanted bogs nearby, especially guided by Carline's vocals and the post-influenced guitar melodies.

Noumena - Anatomy of Life

The clean and acoustic guitars on some of the slower tracks and Hanna and Tuomas' guest vocals especially, it feels like I'm watching a nocturnal quest with torches blazing, illuminating a tree-covered mountain in the distance.

Opeth - Heritage

Much of their music feels this way to me, but this album is so overlooked at this point since it heralded a significant shift in style and many people wrote their new material off due to it. I have a lot of memories particularly while driving and playing this song over and over, looking at the changing leaves on the trees.

Ram-Zet - Escape

The perfect Halloween album for me. A spooky vibe that seamlessly incorporates so many different elements to always keep things engaging, it has been a companion to many night walks in October.

Type O Negative - October Rust

This album always brings me back to my roots. "Haunted" on the Descent 2 game soundtrack was essentially the song that started me on my metal journey, and though I mostly abandoned doom for a long time in favor of speedier and more technical metal genres, I've been glad to come back to it a lot more in the past 7-8 years or so. This album still just has so much fall atmosphere with the watery guitars and such, like the gentle flow of leaves to the ground.

Witherscape - The Inheritance

I could easily have picked The Northern Inheritance as well, but either way, their sound feels really autumnal to me with Dan's dark, warm, sonorous voice and the textured guitar worked.

Honorable mentions - I feel like Amorphis' Eclipse should be here, but I listened to it so much earlier in the year after it came out that the vibes aren't as strong. I kind of want to include something from Draconian, but they don't quite feel seasonal enough. Raving Season's Amnio is in ways a more extreme version of Lethian Dreams, and I got into them in the same fall, but it feels too cold and dark and thus more wintry. I also usually latch onto some various doom metal albums as well, sometimes from Swallow the Sun, November's Doom, October Tide, Virgin Black, Doom: VS, whatever strikes my mood. This year I'm getting more into Evoken than I ever have. I'm really picky about my funeral doom, but they're really hitting the spot right now with their ominous riffs and haunting keyboards.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wombface
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:26 pm 

Threshold - For The Journey

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day

Both albums have a dark, brooding atmosphere in two very different ways.

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:28 pm 

These six classics are all albums I discovered during various autumns and were on non-stop rotation, at the time.
Each has burrowed itself into my psyche as perfect representations of the season far more than any other albums.

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry

My Dying Bride - Angel and the Dark River

King Diamond - Conspiracy

Porcupine Tree - The Incident

Paradise Lost - Icon

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:21 pm 

Nice thread.

October Rust was already mentioned, and that one is pretty obvious.

Also for me, very much, Fall of the Leafe's "Evanasecent, Everfading" and "August Wernicke" make me think of fall, in fact, so do other albums of theirs. As a band I'd say in general they make me think of fall for whatever reason. Might be partially that the first time I ever heard them was around Thanksgiving time many years back.

AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:33 pm 

October Rust - Type O
Like Gods of the Sun - MDB
Eternity - Anathema
Riot Act - Pearl Jam
Opus - Ghost
Ugly - Life of Agony
Dusk - Cradle

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 pm 

Candlemass - Nightfall
Skepticism - Alloy
Falloch - Where Distant Spirits Remain
Agalloch - The Mantle

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:33 pm 

Type O's October Rust is the album that defines the season of fall / autumn. The atmosphere, the distortion, the reverb, doom, gothicness... there's a reason people are mentioning it so much.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:53 pm 

October Rust for me, still gets me in fall mood after all these years.

HeavenDuff
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:48 pm 

Panopticon - Autumn Eternal

Most of Panopticon's discography could fit in this thread, but I'll mention this one in particular for obvious reasons. If Austin Lunn's music is often, if not most of the time, very introspective and built around creating vast soundscapes that are very reminiscent of North American vast forests and landscapes, Autumn Eternal is an hommage to fall, and gives an amazing combination of moodier, more mellow passages, with abbrasive, soundscaping repetitive atmospheric black metal sections, ascending and descending, and successfully inducing, at least for me, the feeling of walking in the forest in October.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:01 am 

For me:
Danzig- 4
Six Feet Under- haunted

Midnight Syndicate/Nox Arcana albums

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:55 am 

I tend to listen to a lot of King Diamond and Mercyful Fate.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:05 am 

Autumnal albums for me would be:

Paradise Lost - Gothic

Oppressive gloomy atmospheres, lead guitars that fall like rain.

Tiamat - The Astral Sleep

Still their best album by a country mile, with such an evocative, haunting atmosphere.

Bethlehem - Dark Metal

If you want to totally embrace the autumnal darkness.

Evoken - Embrace the Emptiness

My go-to for walking to work on a gloomy day.

Amebix - Monolith

One of the pioneers of "gloomy, oppressive landscape" music, I suppose.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:22 am 

I often gravitate towards post metal during autumn. The slow and often meditative feeling it gives fit me perfectly for those days when the air is more fresh. I think this music works equally good during the nicer parts of autumn (with the great spectacle of colours on the trees and bushes) as well as the grey, foggy and rainy second part of autumn.

Neurosis is a given. Often the album A Sun That Never Sets. Cult of Luna (my favourite being Mariner). Russian Circles Guidances, Pelicans The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw, Isis Panopticon or Jesu's self titled.
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:59 am 

Another mention for October Rust here, for reasons previously stated.

Don't know if it's the artwork / colour scheme on the album cover, but Sentenced - Down also strikes me as an autumnal record.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:00 am 

Surprised that no one has mentioned October Tide's Rain Without End so far. To me it's my to-go autumn metal album. Makes an ideal listen during a rainy day.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:04 am 

Isengard's Høstmørke is a favorite of mine, it's a very uneven album, but it oozes with inspiration and never fails to conjure the the feeling of hiking trough the woods

Thy Serpent's first album is another one. It has some of the most october-y melodies i can think of and some lovely bass work. I love driving at night with this one

Seconding KD/ Mercyful Fate: Malokarpatan are great too as i feel that they really managed to catch some of their spirit and twist it with some eerie slovak folklore

Seconding also Opeth and COF (so much incredible albums for this season!) October Tide and Type O Negative, even if i would probably pick World Coming Down

Rottir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:29 am 

Opeth - Blackwater Park

Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Done

Agalloch - The Mantle

Ulver - Bergtatt

Winterfylleth – The Hallowing of Heirdom

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 am 

Well if anyone here is from Southern California, you’ll probably know that we don’t have seasons really lmao. Autumn for us has just been extension of Summer until mid November or so. Tons of wildfires as well.

Although this year has been noticeably more mild and is starting to FINALLY feel like a real Autumn again.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:58 am 

Type O Negative - October Rust (extremely common choice going by this thread but it really is perfect for the season)
Theatre of Tragedy - Aegis
Moonspell - Darkness and Hope
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace
The Gathering - Mandylion
My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
Unto Others - Mana

It's the most goth season, I guess.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:49 am 

A few that I've been really enjoying, and it varies from year to year.

Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
Novembers Doom - Aphotic
Evoken - Quietus
Anhedonist - Netherwards
Wolverine - Communication Lost
Emma Ruth Rundle - On Dark Horses
Opeth - Damnation & Deliverance
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons [EP]

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 am 

neofolk. not much in the spirit yet, though.

Coastliner
Metal newbie

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:56 pm 

The Type O Negative catalogue always comes out of hibernation at Halloween but I don't have autumn albums, only certain autumn songs. The best one is, of course, "The Rain Song" by Led Zep. Many-coloured trees, sunshine, and this song: no contest.

Spoiler: show

The irony is that autumn is the only season not mentioned in the lyrics, and the music doesn't sound like rain but rather like the sun after the rain... perhaps.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:57 pm 

This fall I've been listening to a lot of Winterfylleth, Drudkh, Solstafir (especially Berdreyminn), Chelsea Wolfe, My Dying Bride (specifically Songs of Darkness...) and Skepticism. I think it really depends on if it's a sunny day or not.

AxeCapitol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:29 pm 

Acid Bath sounds like Autumn to me as well.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:00 pm 

As someone who isn’t too much into the more “Autumny” genres like Black Metal or Doom and Gothic, this is a question I have to think a bit about.

Autumn Aurora by Drudkh is one of the BM albums I like so that’s my pick. Besides that, my mind is kind of turning towards traditional Swedeath like Dismember. Specifically …Ever Flowing Stream for those melodies that kinda bring a Fall vibe. Early At the Gates as well.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:22 pm 

I'm listening to Usnea's Random Cosmic Violence right now and it fits. The bright sound they do coupled with the pale sluggishness of it all just creates this atmosphere that blends in with the weather.

Empyreal wrote:
Seems like a pretty reductive way to see art.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:57 pm 

Didn't see Lake of Tears - Forever Autumn mentioned. Leans towards the softer side of Gothic doom metal.

Woods of Ypres - Pursuit of the Sun and Allure of the Earth is another good one for me. I'm not familiar with the rest of this catalogue, but i have listened to this album from time to time for many years. Has a very warm, and autumn feel to me.

Agalloch - The Mantle is another one for me.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:49 pm 

Tend to reach for a lot of Deceased... and October 31st. Also the second and third Anacrusis albums. Everything by Pagan Altar gives me heavy fall vibes too, with their archaic druid-esque folky guitar work and vocals.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:53 am 

The ultimate autumn album for me is Cradle Of Filth's Midian.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:38 am 

jimbies wrote:
The ultimate autumn album for me is Cradle Of Filth's Midian.

Good shout that, forgot about that one. Nymphetamine as well.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:42 am 

Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon

They only have this one EP released 11 (....) years ago. It's basically a love letter to early Agalloch, and it's dripping with Autumn atmosphere. They go a bit farther with certain non-metal elements than Agalloch, so they're not merely a clone. Perfect for forest walks around October.

Drudkh - Autumn Aurora

Despite the title, I don't consider it Autumn specific, but rather a tale of the entire year cycle. They are obviously referencing some cyclical Pagan worldview. Very melodic and moody. The track Sunwheel in particular starts out very joyful and bright (as in Summer) and then gradually gets darker before we are in the midst of the Winter darkness. It certainly fits the season of Fall.

Benedict Donald
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:09 am 

Another 'extremely autumnal' album:

"Omnio" - In The Woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VxA2YwR2k0

Speed Metal Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:03 am 

October Tide - Grey Dawn

I can't think of a more autumnal (or diurnal for that matter) album to me. I love listening to this while out walking around with changing leaves, overcast skies, and moderate wind blowing. Someone mentioned their first album and while I like that one as well, I associate it more with March and April. Agalloch's music also has a vibe in this vein.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:09 am 

Threshold - For the Journey is probably the major one. Just has that really breezy, dusky feel and overall autumnal vibe to it, in everything from the chilly production values to Damian's shrill, melancholic climes on the vocals.

Elsewhere there's the Halloween stuff - Seasons of the Wolf, Deceased, Pagan Altar, et. al. All masters of conjuring that Halloween atmosphere. There's just that kind of foreboding sense of melody and atmosphere that you can even do well with just a regular guitar.

And some Urban breed projects like Project Arcadia and Trail of Murder have always been associated with this time of year for me just 'cause I discovered them then initially.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:33 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer

Opeth - Heritage

Much of their music feels this way to me, but this album is so overlooked at this point since it heralded a significant shift in style and many people wrote their new material off due to it. I have a lot of memories particularly while driving and playing this song over and over, looking at the changing leaves on the trees.

Amazing album that is indeed quite autumnal. Even the cover shows a colorful tree with a certain head making like a leaf and leaving. Has aged wonderfully, now that the shock and disappointment of it not being what we were expecting, or perhaps wanted at the time, has passed.

Blackwater Park is also a great one for fall, from the music to the song titles to the lyrics.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:55 pm 

Pretty much, all Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. Especially In the Shadows, though it came out in the Summer, great memories jamming that album on my way to the gym on cool Autumn mornings. All their music is perfect for this time of year.

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:55 am 

Not an album but the song "Norway in September" by Darkthrone always speaks to me of the change in seasons and that feeling of anticipation mixed with anxiety about the huge fall in temperatures, the long nights, and the piercing winds. Only after spending a couple of winters in Britain did I really understand this point, having grown up in Australia, where the winters are nowhere near as drastic. In Britain, it is October (right about exactly now!) when the temperature falls, although in Norway it is September.

The opposite song is really the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun" and, again, someone growing up in a milder climate or in the tropics will never really quite understand the relief involved near the start of summer in colder places.

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:36 pm 

My favourite autumn albums:

Samhain- November Coming Fire. Not technically a metal album but it's my favourite album Danzig's ever done. A lot of the old Danzig and Misfits stuff gets played regularly around this time of year.

Paradise Lost- Gothic. The production has a lot to do with this one. One of the greatest metal albums ever too.

Autopsy- Mental Funeral. The sound of this album just reminds me of rotten leaves and cold earth.

Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. A lot of this is getting played at the moment.

Katatonia- Dance of the December Souls. Unsurprisingly, a great winter album too!

Skepticism- Stormcrowfleet.

Fields of the Nephilim- The Nephilim. Not technically metal but more metal than a lot of the 'metal band goes goth' of the last few years and it's really hitting the spot right now.

ZenoMarx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:34 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
neofolk. not much in the spirit yet, though.

Still no folk, but Mighty Sphincter - Ghost Walking Double. Cheeseball, pervy spooky. Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun. Is it metal enough that I thought about The 3rd and The Mortal - Tears Laid in Earth?

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:09 pm 

Opeth - Damnation is my ultimate autumn album. I mean, their discography up to and including Watershed is the perfect soundtrack for that season, but Damnation has this little something more.
Fire walk with me"

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next