Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:18 pm 

So Whitechapel has a new album coming out, and the single would indicate that they're starting to remember their riff writing abilities.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:40 pm 

I really enjoyed that song. Whitechapel had completely fallen off the rails throughout the 2010s, so hopefully, as you said, this is indicative of a return to form for them. I admittedly have not listened to The Valley since the singles didn't interest me, but it has an 80% on here, so maybe it actually is pretty good as a whole.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:59 pm 

I thought "The Valley" was pretty damn good and I'd suggest checking it out if you haven't. It does have some of the groove metal elements they were playing around with on the previous three albums, but 1.) done much better 2.) with their old sound blended into it, plus some new elements. It sounds like "Kin" is going to be a further progression of what they were doing on "The Valley" judging by this single, and I'm more than okay with that.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:42 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I admittedly have not listened to The Valley since the singles didn't interest me, but it has an 80% on here, so maybe it actually is pretty good as a whole.

The Valley's comparatively high review average here baffles me. Stylistically speaking, it's almost no different from everything that the band has done since their 2012 album. Songs that are basically giant mid tempo breakdowns, with a couple obligatory fast songs that don't have any riffs to back up their speed. However, it does contain a lot of melodramatic, "emotional" lyricism that's supposedly based on Phil Bozeman's childhood. I think that tugged at people's hearts a bit, which led to the higher score. Oh yes, and there's also the addition of clean-sung power ballads (started on Mark of the Blade), which are as corny as one can expect.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:44 pm 

I wondered if a thread would be made about this. I'm a huge Whitechapel fan. I think their first 3 albums are their best work but I have enjoyed all of their albums. Our Endless War and Mark of The Blade was a dip in quality but still decent albums, The Valley on the otherhand was pretty damn solid. While for the most part it lacks the ferocity of the first 3 albums, I understand they wanted to move in a more progressive direction while mixing in clean vocals. As a fan of their older material and mainly extreme metal in general it made me nervous but Phil sounds great and the band pulled it off well. IMO The Valley's biggest weakness was that it only had 3 tracks with blast beats.

If this new song is any indication they have picked up right where they left off with The Valley only with Alex Rudinger manning the drums, so its filled with blasts, the song is great, other than going back and remaking an album to sound just like This Is Exile i'd say Whitechapel is on the right track and i'm definitely looking forward to this album.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:19 pm 

The second single is out:

collingwood77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:47 pm 

They should have done more Jack the Ripper-themed albums. Lyrically, the song Fairy Fay was a joke as most scholars on the murders believe that there was no such victim as Fairy Fay. What would be interesting would be a band with one song about each Jack the Ripper murder based on the real facts of the case - Polly Nichols, Annie Chapman, Catharine Eddowes, Mary Jane Kelly, Alice McKenzie, Frances Coles.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:35 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
The second single is out:

I guess I was wrong about them remembering their riff writing skills. Awful chugging crap that sounds a little too much like Brimstone from the last album.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:29 pm 

Another song. This one's like Hickory Creek, but much less catchy. I think this record is gonna be another The Valley. The first single was a fluke.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:13 pm 

It's like they switched around the order; Brimstone was the groovy midpaced single, while it's Bloodsoaked Symphony here, and When a Demon Defiles a Witch was the fast song with a big clean part. Yeah, it's The Valley 2 and I think they were pretty upfront about this being a continuation of that album, and while I do not give a shit about anything they've done since 2007, I'm really getting the impression that they just want to be Stone Sour but know that they can't get away with a full jump into that style, so they're compromising.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:18 pm 

It really is a pity because Lost Boy actually sounded like they were trying for once. Not exactly When A Demon Defiles A Witch, because that song had only speed and no riffs to back it up. Lost Boy had riffs, and it sounded like the band was trying to explore some new musical options. But the singles after it so far have been the same old shit.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:17 pm 

I wish they could just go full prog or something. The few "pure" deathcore tracks they have released in the last few years have been mostly underwhelming & uninspired in my opinion. Almost like they're forcing themselves to write a couple chuggy tracks in order to keep the old fans on board.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:16 am 

Each Whitechapel album since the days when they still had some resemblance of death metal in their music has had a couple obligatory fast songs, like We Are One and When A Demon... on The Valley and the title track on Our Endless War, but they're all speed backed up by no riffs.

I just wish they'd make use of their three guitarists... Like, good grief. Has the potential for some super unique three-part harmony stuff with that kind of lineup ever crossed their minds? Probably not, because they seem content to let all three guitarists play the same chug.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:13 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Each Whitechapel album since the days when they still had some resemblance of death metal in their music has had a couple obligatory fast songs, like We Are One and When A Demon... on The Valley and the title track on Our Endless War, but they're all speed backed up by no riffs.

I just wish they'd make use of their three guitarists... Like, good grief. Has the potential for some super unique three-part harmony stuff with that kind of lineup ever crossed their minds? Probably not, because they seem content to let all three guitarists play the same chug.

I actually enjoy quite a few of Whitechapel's riffs, although I will admit their first 3 albums are my favorite. I used to hate deathcore because I come from a death metal background but once I started listening to it through a different lens of thinking, I quite enjoy it. I like deathcore for the aggression and tough guy stchick, great music for lifting weights to.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:05 pm 

The Somatic Defilement worked because it balanced out the chugs and breakdowns with plenty of legit and great brutal death riffing, and then they lost me when the chugs began to rule everything and the nu bounce riffs started popping up.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:15 pm 

Yeah, The Somatic Defilement was their only album where they really incorporated the brutal death metal riffing for real. It started getting really scattered in the two albums after it and then they went full nu-metal/djent hybrid with little resemblance to death metal.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:58 pm 

I think that "Ear to Ear" is probably my favorite song by the band but I think they sounded their best and most cohesive on "This Is Exile", that album is infectious from beginning to end.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:18 pm 

Mine has to be the title track from The Somatic Defilement, and even then I don't really think it's that good of a song. But the out-of-nowhere At the Gates throwaway riff at the end of the song paired with the synthesized string outro and the repetition of "until death do us part, we'll rot hand in hand" is a hell of an earworm.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:41 pm 

After two listens it's kind of growing on me. I maintain however that their chuggy riffs and Bozeman's growling style have become extremely repetitive compared to their early material. It could be a stylistic choice I guess but where did his growls/screams variety and the slammy riffs go?
Spoiler: show

The ending track "Kin" is by far my favorite song on this one, so much raw emotion.. If they could pull off an album full of tracks like this now that Phil's clean vocals have improved so much I certainly wouldn't be unhappy.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:51 pm 

Phil's self-taught and didn't start seeing coaches until later on, he uses frys and used to use inhales, he tours for a living, and he smokes. All of those are things that will lead to vocal damage in almost anyone, and he's also historically had issues with running out of breath on wordy or technical passages because he's a tiny dude and just doesn't have the natural lung capacity that a bigger dude would have, which explains why he's moved away from writing those kinds of lines.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:51 am 

I'm curious to see how well Phil's voice holds up now that he's getting past his "invincible" state (up to mid 30s). He seems like he's been all right up to this point, but I have seen live videos where he loses his tone of voice and has to go into a sort of Phil Anselmo mutter for a line or two and runs out of breath. At least he's varying his pallet a bit with clean singing, so he'll get a bit of a rest with that.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:05 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
I'm curious to see how well Phil's voice holds up now that he's getting past his "invincible" state (up to mid 30s). He seems like he's been all right up to this point, but I have seen live videos where he loses his tone of voice and has to go into a sort of Phil Anselmo mutter for a line or two and runs out of breath. At least he's varying his pallet a bit with clean singing, so he'll get a bit of a rest with that.

He's always had breath issues. Happens a lot with little dudes who overextend themselves.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:37 am 

Well, I mean, harsh vocals as a whole aren't good for your voice and there's no way to do them (as far as science supports) that suggests that there is a way to do them sustainably for a 20-30+ year recording and touring career and avoid vocal damage, or at least as much vocal damage as you would avoid from singing for a similar amount of time in a pristinely clean voice. There's been an insane amount of misinformation to the contrary spread about the subject. But I think that Phil's breath and tonal consistency issue comes from him being very animated on stage. Bending and hunching over, walking around, focusing too much on parts of the body that aren't his voice.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pm 

I've seen Whitechapel several times and I've always thought Phil performed admirably. He doesnt have the easiest vocal lines and hooks to hit and he does a great job at hitting most of them. Phil has one of the best voices in metal IMO and he manages to hit every pitch well live other than his breathing from time to time. When it comes to live vocals i'd say he's as good as any. Still think Frank Mullen is the most entertaining frontman though.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:11 pm 

Also on a side note Frank Booth, says you can bench 450. If thats true awesome to see another avid lifter, and that is damn good bench, much respect.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 pm 

Yeah, Phil's vocals are the strongest point in Whitechapel for me, actually. He's a monstrous vocalist and a really good live clean singer as well, that is, if he doesn't lip sync or use pitching effects.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:11 pm 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Also on a side note Frank Booth, says you can bench 450. If thats true awesome to see another avid lifter, and that is damn good bench, much respect.

Nah, that was given to me as the result of a very amusing thread a few years back that involved either a former member of a famous death metal act who is well-known for their anabolic steroid usage, or someone who put on a fairly convincing impression of them based on their social media behavior.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:15 am 

Holy shit, the vocals at the end of the title track. I had no idea Phil had it in him to do that.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:11 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
pressingtoplead13 wrote:

Nah, that was given to me as the result of a very amusing thread a few years back that involved either a former member of a famous death metal act who is well-known for their anabolic steroid usage, or someone who put on a fairly convincing impression of them based on their social media behavior.

I just read that thread, and holy shit it's a goldmine for people's custom rank origins. Good shit.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Reply to topic