Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:12 am 
 

Coastliner wrote:
More old news from the previous page:

aloof wrote:
1. now hear me out. there's this dude who is the mainman in a band and he got the job of playing in that other band. what's interesting is, the two bands' names overlap. so, one band is named "haha blablablah", and the other is named "muhaha".

which bands are they?

[…]

3. not the whole Horde


Spoiler: show
No. 1: I know this thing from somewhere, either from reading an interview or from surfing the Archives one or two years ago, but I can't remember the name of the main band. It's like that one item you stow away behind the vase on the shoe cabinet because you never need it, but when you need it, it's not there anymore. The only details I remember are: the longer name of the main band sounded more interesting than the stripped-down version, and the band wasn't as successful as it could have been. There was a problem of some sort (or if there wasn't a problem, I probably simply read a bad review and am now messing things up). If you just posted the name I would instantly recognise it – does that count? :-D


I knew I had forgotten a coupla in my tell-all... 'ere they are, spoilered for those who would like one more try...

Spoiler: show
Omnium Gatherum / Insomnium

Halford
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
splyu
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 pm
Posts: 370
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:07 pm 
 

1. Not merely this, but also beleaguerments
2. Used to be prominently visible from Brooklyn Bridge, but not any more

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:21 am 
 

first words off a kate bush and a duran duran song

a dead language in latin that is not latin

the father of the golden daughter's caress

a faith no more album

a cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake

another cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake

yet another cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
Coastliner
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:49 am
Posts: 211
Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:07 am 
 

splyu wrote:
1. Not merely this, but also beleaguerments


Sieges Even

aloof wrote:
first words off a kate bush and a duran duran song

a dead language in latin that is not latin

the father of the golden daughter's caress

a faith no more album

a cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake

another cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake

yet another cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake


?
Lingua Mortis?
?
Angel Dust
Poison
Skid Row (technically possible but probably wrong)
Warrant? (don't know anything by them, only that they exist, did they ever have a "cult band" status?)
Celtic Frost ( :-D )
_________________
"The scary thing is: Tony still looks like Tony, whereas I don't look like me."
(Ian Anderson)

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:11 am 
 

lingua mortis, angel dust, poison and warrant are correct. CF made me lol :D

kate bush has two songs everyone and their grandmother know, not the one based on a novel/movie. it'll be easy from there.
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
splyu
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 pm
Posts: 370
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 am 
 

Coastliner wrote:
splyu wrote:
1. Not merely this, but also beleaguerments

Sieges Even

Correct!

aloof wrote:
first words off a kate bush and a duran duran song

Running Wild

Top
 Profile  
Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:34 pm
Posts: 354
Location: Serbia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:45 am 
 

aloof wrote:
first words off a kate bush and a duran duran songe


Running up That Hill
+
Wild Boys

EDIT: Beaten by the previous poster. Congrats! :D
_________________
Just call me Wahn.

Top
 Profile  
gzusrocker
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:05 am
Posts: 42
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:19 pm 
 

They never auditioned for the X Factor, but it's still part of their career.

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:48 pm 
 

Running Wild is correct :)

///

here's one more riddle:

if you change one letter (/erase a small line) from one of their members' last names, you get the instrument said person plays in the band
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 2103
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:03 am 
 

a member of this once glorious band would seem to be related to a latin american festivity
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
splyu
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 pm
Posts: 370
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:58 am 
 

splyu wrote:
2. Used to be prominently visible from Brooklyn Bridge, but not any more

Hint: this one is not a riddle or pun. The band's name used to be literally visible from Brooklyn Bridge, on the Brooklyn side, until not so long ago, and especially at night. Now it says something else in the same place, but the first letter is the same.

Top
 Profile  
Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:38 pm
Posts: 261
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:06 pm 
 

A hole into which people are tossed after they die, where they rot in Swedish soil without ever seeing heaven.

Top
 Profile  
IrrationalBigBoy
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:01 am
Posts: 12
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:38 pm 
 

The title of a song from one of two albums released by the same band in 1978.
_________________
”Fight the fire of hate… ‘cause when the blood flows, no words can ease the pain!”
official most virulent octagon and requiem defender

Top
 Profile  
Smalley
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:06 am
Posts: 1001
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:13 pm 
 

IrrationalBigBoy wrote:
The title of a song from one of two albums released by the same band in 1978.
Exciter?
_________________
Smalley proudly presents: The Golden Age Of Metal!
Home Forum

Top
 Profile  
camjr01
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:27 am 
 

I mean I have more than one favorite band, yet I might have gone overboard. I hope this isn't too much! :(
1. The animals of a particular region, habitat, or geological period. If I'm going to make this one even easier, think of flora and ____.
2. Made impure, innocence destroyed, synonyms are degrade/falsify.
3. Christian Technical Black Metal. I can just say the genre this time because there's no other band like this one.
4. Colonial/An Empire's Success
5. This is going to be a hard one, because this is an abstract one, but think of something that comes from a source. Or maybe radiation. Also, part of this band name phonetically contains the female name "Emma".
6. On top northern lights
7. Flask of judgement
8. Latin sun
9. This black metal band actually likes the pope.
10. This band is microtonal.
11. We're all going to die. The world is ending. Mass calamities on the streets. Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (yes, all of this relates to a single band, try to figure it out).
12. Because of this phenomenon, Napoleon and Hitler could not defeat the Russians during two separate wars.
13. I need the bread. I told you we would be having it on Tuesday but you didn't get it. Now it actually is Tuesday and I need it for today, why don't you have it! (I broke the rules here, see if you can tell why)?
14. I saw the dutch fail.
15. NR
16. Dark Limb Seraphim
17. This band calls their genre "sorrow metal". Also, latin testify.
18. Melting, warming, ____ing.
19. This band has a video game with the same name as it, where you walk around with a gun and shoot doorways onto walls.
20. You peasants showing off!
21. I cut my skin (not actually, this is just a clue for what the band's name is I'm not suicidal please don't take that seriously)
22. The blood came up north
23. Coffin scent
24. Void describer

I can put the answers in a spoiler if anyone wants to check them. Just reply letting me know. Also, I hope these clues don't suck! :(
_________________
Stagnation begins when you stop trying to improve

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Top
 Profile  
IrrationalBigBoy
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:01 am
Posts: 12
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:54 am 
 

Smalley wrote:
IrrationalBigBoy wrote:
The title of a song from one of two albums released by the same band in 1978.
Exciter?


Nope! Good guess though - that category is slightly more crowded than one would think.
_________________
”Fight the fire of hate… ‘cause when the blood flows, no words can ease the pain!”
official most virulent octagon and requiem defender

Top
 Profile  
Coastliner
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:49 am
Posts: 211
Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:26 pm 
 

camjr01 wrote:
I mean I have more than one favorite band, yet I might have gone overboard. I hope this isn't too much! :(


Much is never too much. It would be easier if the answer to every riddle were "Judas Priest" though. :-D This looks like a whole lot of bands nobody knows because nobody has ever managed to read their logos. :tinfoil:

camjr01 wrote:
1. The animals of a particular region, habitat, or geological period. If I'm going to make this one even easier, think of flora and ____.
18. Melting, warming, ____ing.


1. Fauna
18. Thaw

Just because those words fit. Never heard of them.
_________________
"The scary thing is: Tony still looks like Tony, whereas I don't look like me."
(Ian Anderson)

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:30 pm 
 

joppek wrote:
a member of this once glorious band would seem to be related to a latin american festivity


Manowar (deMaio?)

IrrationalBigBoy wrote:
The title of a song from one of two albums released by the same band in 1978.


Running Wild? Before the Dawn? Invader?

camjr01 wrote:
11. We're all going to die. The world is ending. Mass calamities on the streets. Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (yes, all of this relates to a single band, try to figure it out).
12. Because of this phenomenon, Napoleon and Hitler could not defeat the Russians during two separate wars.


11. Evangelist?
12. Frost?

camjr01 wrote:
I can put the answers in a spoiler if anyone wants to check them. Just reply letting me know. Also, I hope these clues don't suck! :(


dont give the answers too soon, but... are we talking (much) lower than mid level bands here?
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
camjr01
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:41 pm 
 

Coastliner wrote:
camjr01 wrote:
I mean I have more than one favorite band, yet I might have gone overboard. I hope this isn't too much! :(


Much is never too much. It would be easier if the answer to every riddle were "Judas Priest" though. :-D This looks like a whole lot of bands nobody knows because nobody has ever managed to read their logos. :tinfoil:

I see, I was hoping not. I did do a ton here, and this list actually could have been longer if I didn't stop myself. Man this is a fun topic, glad to hear my entry wasn't too bad. :)

Coastliner wrote:
camjr01 wrote:
1. The animals of a particular region, habitat, or geological period. If I'm going to make this one even easier, think of flora and ____.
18. Melting, warming, ____ing.


1. Fauna
18. Thaw

Just because those words fit. Never heard of them.


And you were 100% spot on! Great job! I highly recommend checking out the bands in question here too. Thaw is high quality semi eclectic black metal, with tons of ambient and gentle noise influences, and portions of weirdness as well. Fauna is one of my favorite bands in music period, playing long black metal epics incorporating heavy usage of at times ambient and neofolk.

aloof wrote:
camjr01 wrote:
11. We're all going to die. The world is ending. Mass calamities on the streets. Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (yes, all of this relates to a single band, try to figure it out).
12. Because of this phenomenon, Napoleon and Hitler could not defeat the Russians during two separate wars.


11. Evangelist?
12. Frost?


Not quite, but you're partially on the right track on both counts. I'll give you a few hints for these ones. For #11, the first three sentence directly relate to the band name. Then, the last sentence is also there because this band is a Christian band, and they focus a lot on the Biblical book of revelation, apocalyptic themes, and repentance (hence the line "Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand"). For #12, you're definitely on the right track with "frost" and assuming that the name has something to do with seasonal weather. The thing you didn't consider is that this doesn't take into account Russia as much as you should have, this band's name will make sense if you're thinking about that country specifically.

aloof wrote:
camjr01 wrote:
I can put the answers in a spoiler if anyone wants to check them. Just reply letting me know. Also, I hope these clues don't suck! :(


dont give the answers too soon, but... are we talking (much) lower than mid level bands here?


Oh definitely. The bands here are all on a spectrum obviously (there's a ton of them), but I would say this: there's not really any super mainstream bands here, no Iron Maiden, Gojira, Type O Negative, White Zombie, Pantera, Slayer, or even Mayhem here. But there are a few big names here, mainly huge underground heavyweights with around the popularity of maybe Deathspell Omega or Gorguts or possibly even Kreator in terms of the highest popularity here (and no, neither Deathspell Omega, Gorguts, or Kreator are on the list I guarantee that), and at the lowest you'll find bands that maybe <50 people in all of the USA have heard of. Another hint, the two biggest names on this list (popularity being ambiguous and all) are probably 19 and 22, maybe #13 also but definitely not on this site though. #4 is on the come up as we speak, they just got signed to one of the huge metal labels and they've been reviewed by Anthony Fantano twice. #12 is easily the most obscure band on the entire list, basically no one's ever heard of them, maybe #5 might take second place. By the way, besides the one's who's clues don't directly mention Christianity, #7, #11, #17, and #21 are all Christian as well. I could go further, I might depending on what I think is needed as the thread progresses.
_________________
Stagnation begins when you stop trying to improve

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.


Last edited by camjr01 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:01 am 
 

typical me, picking the "easily most obscure band on the entire list, basically no one's ever heard of them" to solve... :D time to dust off the shelf with my collection of demos limited to 13 copies...
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 2103
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:18 am 
 

aloof wrote:
joppek wrote:
a member of this once glorious band would seem to be related to a latin american festivity


Manowar (deMaio?)


:thumbsup:
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
mirons
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Latvia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:14 pm 
 

aloof wrote:
a cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake

another cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake

yet another cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake


So if two of them were Poison and Warrant, the third has to be Slaughter, right?

Top
 Profile  
mirons
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Latvia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:02 pm 
 

camjr01 wrote:

2. Made impure, innocence destroyed, synonyms are degrade/falsify.
3. Christian Technical Black Metal. I can just say the genre this time because there's no other band like this one.
4. Colonial/An Empire's Success

6. On top northern lights
7. Flask of judgement

12. Because of this phenomenon, Napoleon and Hitler could not defeat the Russians during two separate wars.

22. The blood came up north


2. sounds like it could be Adulterate/Adultery, but all of the bands on archives seem obscure (I've heard the Czech one though)
3. Extol?
4. Imperial Triumphant

6. Above Aurora
7. Chalice of Doom

12. General Winter?

22. Blut Aus Nord

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:53 pm 
 

mirons wrote:
aloof wrote:
a cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake

another cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake

yet another cult band that has a much more famous hair metal namesake


So if two of them were Poison and Warrant, the third has to be Slaughter, right?


tbh, i had Vixen in mind, but i guess Slaughter could work too :)
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
IrrationalBigBoy
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:01 am
Posts: 12
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:08 pm 
 

aloof wrote:
IrrationalBigBoy wrote:
The title of a song from one of two albums released by the same band in 1978.


Running Wild? Before the Dawn? Invader?


Yup, your first guess is correct. I used to listen Before the Dawn a lot too though. Odd how 1978 was really the year of bands naming themselves after Priest songs.
_________________
”Fight the fire of hate… ‘cause when the blood flows, no words can ease the pain!”
official most virulent octagon and requiem defender

Top
 Profile  
camjr01
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:58 pm 
 

aloof wrote:
typical me, picking the "easily most obscure band on the entire list, basically no one's ever heard of them" to solve... :D time to dust off the shelf with my collection of demos limited to 13 copies...


Nah, no big deal, don't beat yourself up! I must admit, if you were to go off the hint I gave you could find the band's name way easier, there's way more information about this Russian winter online if you're typing the name into the search bar than the actual band. Although someone else did already get it, I replied a day or two too late. Although for the one other band you did pick, it is fairly popular- the band has a music video with over a million views and an album here with eight reviews (on one single album, not just across their whole discography). Just think of a Christian band dealing in apocalyptic themes for that one. I can also provide the answers at any time, for you or if anyone else wants it.

mirons wrote:
camjr01 wrote:

2. Made impure, innocence destroyed, synonyms are degrade/falsify.
3. Christian Technical Black Metal. I can just say the genre this time because there's no other band like this one.
4. Colonial/An Empire's Success

6. On top northern lights
7. Flask of judgement

12. Because of this phenomenon, Napoleon and Hitler could not defeat the Russians during two separate wars.

22. The blood came up north


2. sounds like it could be Adulterate/Adultery, but all of the bands on archives seem obscure (I've heard the Czech one though)
3. Extol?
4. Imperial Triumphant

6. Above Aurora
7. Chalice of Doom

12. General Winter?

22. Blut Aus Nord

And on most counts, you're right! #4 is Imperial Triumphant, #6 is Above Aurora (good job on that one, I didn't expect too many people to know about them), #12 is General Winter (stellar job here!), and #22 is Blut Aus Nord. Now on #2, how to say this without spoiling it? Maybe think of more simpler, general use verbs. This is a more commonly used (and commonly applicable) word, adultary/adultarate is way too specific in scope for this band. For number three- I made this one pretty easy in that this band's genre tag on metallum is literally "technical black metal". That's really going to narrow down your search, but I can't think of anything else to say. For number seven, this band is Christian (not all the bands on the list are, but this one specifically is). I looked up Chalice of Doom and you're on the right track in terms of the meaning of the phrase and the scope of the words- I would recommend thinking of something more similar to "flask" (not the actual word) for the first word, maybe also emphasize the judgment part on the last word, this band is directly implying judgment in their name- and doom could just be some random horrible event, it doesn't necessarily mean judgment.
_________________
Stagnation begins when you stop trying to improve

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7128
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:06 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The oxygen-transporting bodily fluid belonging to the mother of Jesus.

No one's solved mine, but it's also not that hard, so eh. I guess I should post a few more. They're all probably gonna be piss easy.

2. Nocturnal Desire
3. Wondrous Act Not Bound By Time
4. Sightless Watcher
5. Like Fantasia, But Avant-Garde
6. Slightly More Than a Half-Dozen Steeples
7. The Universal Blood Type
8. Sprinting Crazy
9. That One Kamelot Album Everyone Likes But is Nobody's Favorite
10. Edward Man
_________________
Something interesting goes here.
...Aww, who am I kidding? Nothing interesting has ever gone here.

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:44 pm 
 

2. Nightwish?
3. Timeless miracle? (i had to check, i would never have guessed a band would take such a daft name)
4. Blind guardian
5. Arcturus? :D
6. Seven Spires? (c'mon dude, this shoulda been riddle #7!)
7. Type O Negative?
8. Running Wild (probably the most "used" band in this thread)
9. Epica?
10. Van Halen? Iron Maiden?

////////

new riddle:

despite getting hammered in court, this dude got dark arsenic for a while and ended up as bar furniture. (you're looking at three "consecutive" bands with one or more members in common) (this is dead easy)
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
camjr01
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:51 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
The oxygen-transporting bodily fluid belonging to the mother of Jesus.

No one's solved mine, but it's also not that hard, so eh. I guess I should post a few more. They're all probably gonna be piss easy.

2. Nocturnal Desire
3. Wondrous Act Not Bound By Time
4. Sightless Watcher
5. Like Fantasia, But Avant-Garde
6. Slightly More Than a Half-Dozen Steeples
7. The Universal Blood Type
8. Sprinting Crazy
9. That One Kamelot Album Everyone Likes But is Nobody's Favorite
10. Edward Man


Okay so:
#2 Nightwish
#4 Blind Guardian?
#5 I'm completely stumped on this one
#6 Seven Spires? (This one's pretty obscure I don't know, it's a US band from Boston Massachusetts)
#7 Type O Negative
#8 Running Wild?
#9 Epica? (I don't know this band Kamelot, I just took album names from the archives and plugged them into a search bar, and the Dutch band "Epica" is absolutely huge so that must be the one right?)
#10 Edguy

So I've literally never heard any of these bands, and I've just gone by band's names I've heard before but never listened to and strategic google searches and queries on the archives. Also, for the record I just came up with these all before aloof, I just didn't post as quickly.
_________________
Stagnation begins when you stop trying to improve

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:10 pm 
 

i think you're right on edguy (duh!), glad i wasnt the only one confused by 5.

aloof wrote:
new riddle:

despite getting hammered in court, this dude got dark arsenic for a while and ended up as bar furniture. (you're looking at three "consecutive" bands with one or more members in common) (this is dead easy)


more riddles:

this piece of wood rejects women for dinner (this band has things in common with the three above)

cheesy sentimental ballad from the end of the world (this band also has a thing in common with the other four)
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7128
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:12 pm 
 

aloof wrote:
2. Nightwish?
3. Timeless miracle? (i had to check, i would never have guessed a band would take such a daft name)
4. Blind guardian
5. Arcturus? :D
6. Seven Spires? (c'mon dude, this shoulda been riddle #7!)
7. Type O Negative?
8. Running Wild (probably the most "used" band in this thread)
9. Epica?
10. Van Halen? Iron Maiden?

camjr01 wrote:
Okay so:
#2 Nightwish
#4 Blind Guardian?
#5 I'm completely stumped on this one
#6 Seven Spires? (This one's pretty obscure I don't know, it's a US band from Boston Massachusetts)
#7 Type O Negative
#8 Running Wild?
#9 Epica? (I don't know this band Kamelot, I just took album names from the archives and plugged them into a search bar, and the Dutch band "Epica" is absolutely huge so that must be the one right?)
#10 Edguy

So I've literally never heard any of these bands, and I've just gone by band's names I've heard before but never listened to and strategic google searches and queries on the archives. Also, for the record I just came up with these all before aloof, I just didn't post as quickly.

1. No one's still guessed it.
2. Both are correct.
3. Aloof is correct.
4. Both are correct.
5. No one got it.
6. Both are correct.
7. Both are correct.
8. Both are correct.
9. Both are correct.
10. Camjr is correct.

Quote:
1. The oxygen-transporting bodily fluid belonging to the mother of Jesus.
5. Like Fantasia, But Avant-Garde

These two are still up for grabs.
_________________
Something interesting goes here.
...Aww, who am I kidding? Nothing interesting has ever gone here.

Top
 Profile  
camjr01
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:23 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
aloof wrote:
2. Nightwish?
3. Timeless miracle? (i had to check, i would never have guessed a band would take such a daft name)
4. Blind guardian
5. Arcturus? :D
6. Seven Spires? (c'mon dude, this shoulda been riddle #7!)
7. Type O Negative?
8. Running Wild (probably the most "used" band in this thread)
9. Epica?
10. Van Halen? Iron Maiden?

camjr01 wrote:
Okay so:
#2 Nightwish
#4 Blind Guardian?
#5 I'm completely stumped on this one
#6 Seven Spires? (This one's pretty obscure I don't know, it's a US band from Boston Massachusetts)
#7 Type O Negative
#8 Running Wild?
#9 Epica? (I don't know this band Kamelot, I just took album names from the archives and plugged them into a search bar, and the Dutch band "Epica" is absolutely huge so that must be the one right?)
#10 Edguy

So I've literally never heard any of these bands, and I've just gone by band's names I've heard before but never listened to and strategic google searches and queries on the archives. Also, for the record I just came up with these all before aloof, I just didn't post as quickly.

1. No one's still guessed it.
2. Both are correct.
3. Aloof is correct.
4. Both are correct.
5. No one got it.
6. Both are correct.
7. Both are correct.
8. Both are correct.
9. Both are correct.
10. Camjr is correct.

Quote:
1. The oxygen-transporting bodily fluid belonging to the mother of Jesus.
5. Like Fantasia, But Avant-Garde

These two are still up for grabs.


#1. Mary's Blood?

Also, I wonder if anyone can get the rest of mine done, so far there's only six that have been successfully found and I posted twenty four total. Here's the unanswered ones.

camjr01 wrote:
2. Made impure, innocence destroyed, synonyms are degrade/falsify.
3. Christian Technical Black Metal. I can just say the genre this time because there's no other band like this one.
5. This is going to be a hard one, because this is an abstract one, but think of something that comes from a source. Or maybe radiation. Also, part of this band name phonetically contains the female name "Emma".
7. Flask of judgement
8. Latin sun
9. This black metal band actually likes the pope.
10. This band is microtonal.
11. We're all going to die. The world is ending. Mass calamities on the streets. Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (yes, all of this relates to a single band, try to figure it out).
13. I need the bread. I told you we would be having it on Tuesday but you didn't get it. Now it actually is Tuesday and I need it for today, why don't you have it! (I broke the rules here, see if you can tell why)?
14. I saw the dutch fail.
15. NR
16. Dark Limb Seraphim
17. This band calls their genre "sorrow metal". Also, latin testify.
19. This band has a video game with the same name as it, where you walk around with a gun and shoot doorways onto walls.
20. You peasants showing off!
21. I cut my skin (not actually, this is just a clue for what the band's name is I'm not suicidal please don't take that seriously)
23. Coffin scent
24. Void describer
_________________
Stagnation begins when you stop trying to improve

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.


Last edited by camjr01 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7128
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:26 pm 
 

camjr01 wrote:
#1. Mary's Blood?

Yiss. That just leaves one more.

It's really not that hard, guys. You're thinking too much. Focus more on the sound of the name and the hint.

#5. Like Fantasia, But Avant-Garde a.k.a. The Head of Edward Man's Passion Project.
_________________
Something interesting goes here.
...Aww, who am I kidding? Nothing interesting has ever gone here.

Top
 Profile  
camjr01
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 10:34 pm
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:34 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
camjr01 wrote:
#1. Mary's Blood?

Yiss. That just leaves one more.

It's really not that hard, guys. You're thinking too much. Focus more on the sound of the name and the hint.

#5. Like Fantasia, But Avant-Garde a.k.a. The Head of Edward Man's Passion Project.


I mean it would be easier, if only I could figure out if Fantasia was a band or an album, or who Edward Man is? I'm totally clueless, you seem to occupy portions of the metal sphere I never touch and I'm only getting as far as I am through God, google searches, and name recognition.
_________________
Stagnation begins when you stop trying to improve

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Top
 Profile  
aloof
avant-gardener

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 2915
Location: never neverland, palm trees by the sea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:47 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
5. Like Fantasia, But Avant-Garde


avantasia. duh :D good one!
_________________
the devil is very old indeed, we sit with a few stories to tell

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 7128
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:23 am 
 

aloof wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
5. Like Fantasia, But Avant-Garde


avantasia. duh :D good one!

Yiss.
_________________
Something interesting goes here.
...Aww, who am I kidding? Nothing interesting has ever gone here.

Top
 Profile  
mirons
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Latvia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:21 am 
 

camjr01 wrote:
And on most counts, you're right! #4 is Imperial Triumphant, #6 is Above Aurora (good job on that one, I didn't expect too many people to know about them), #12 is General Winter (stellar job here!), and #22 is Blut Aus Nord. Now on #2, how to say this without spoiling it? Maybe think of more simpler, general use verbs. This is a more commonly used (and commonly applicable) word, adultary/adultarate is way too specific in scope for this band. For number three- I made this one pretty easy in that this band's genre tag on metallum is literally "technical black metal". That's really going to narrow down your search, but I can't think of anything else to say. For number seven, this band is Christian (not all the bands on the list are, but this one specifically is). I looked up Chalice of Doom and you're on the right track in terms of the meaning of the phrase and the scope of the words- I would recommend thinking of something more similar to "flask" (not the actual word) for the first word, maybe also emphasize the judgment part on the last word, this band is directly implying judgment in their name- and doom could just be some random horrible event, it doesn't necessarily mean judgment.


#3 (Christian technical black metal) = Drottnar. As you said, typing the genre tag into advanced search really did really narrow it down, since there were only three bands in the archives with that exact genre tag :D
Regarding Above Aurora - I accidentaly stumbled upon them sometime last spring, via youtube algorhythm. Great stuff, the Polish black metal scene is just pumping out one gem after another. As for General Winter, I had heard the expression, so I just checked if there are any bands with that name on the archives.

Top
 Profile  
mirons
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Latvia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 am 
 

Time to post some riddles of my own. I reckon most of these should be rather easy.

1. Precipitation of shotgun projectiles
2. One who propels a very fast guy through the air
3. Act of bringing something into existence, dictated by evil intent
4. Inhabitant of a mountain subrange in Central Europe
5. Remnants of a mythological structure
6. The last platform on which thou shalt lay
7. A hand tool of the Lord
8. Ceremonies from a time long gone
9. Magical exposure of buttocks
10. A common flower in an uncommon color

Top
 Profile  
Coastliner
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:49 am
Posts: 211
Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 am 
 

mirons wrote:
Time to post some riddles of my own. I reckon most of these should be rather easy.

1. Precipitation of shotgun projectiles
2. One who propels a very fast guy through the air
3. Act of bringing something into existence, dictated by evil intent
4. Inhabitant of a mountain subrange in Central Europe
5. Remnants of a mythological structure
6. The last platform on which thou shalt lay
7. A hand tool of the Lord
8. Ceremonies from a time long gone
9. Magical exposure of buttocks
10. A common flower in an uncommon color


1. Hail of Bullets
2. Bolt Thrower
3. Malevolent Creation
4. DJ Ötzi :-P
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_%C3%96tzi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi
5. Ruins of... Arcadia? Eden? Elysium? Purgatory? Yith?
6. Catafalc?
7. God's Electric Toothbrush? :fuck:
8. Ancient Rites?
9. Moonspell
10. could be Black Rose or Green Carnation

aloof wrote:
new riddle:

despite getting hammered in court, this dude got dark arsenic for a while and ended up as bar furniture. (you're looking at three "consecutive" bands with one or more members in common) (this is dead easy)


I wikied (is that a word?) "Sentenced", and this article said "Poisonblack" and "S-TOOL".

Appendix:

Clues to older riddles:

Spoiler: show
01 Thoudio (but more modern and without me)
Clue: They used to say "thou" but not anymore. The rest is as easy…

02 E.S.J. minus 1
Clue: Z minus 1 = Y and so on; one step backwards.

03 A.D.M.I.N. but has to ask beforehand
Clue: You can also say: A.D.M.I.N. but lower on the ladder. Sooo easy…

05 Iron Sea (pronounced by the BBC's Acronym Man)
Clue: An acronym that sounds like "Iron Sea".

07 physician who pulls wires and strings and sings about a villa
Clue: You could also say: "physician who orchestrates everything and sings about a villa". 80s… shredding…

08 yet another physician but with a meat axe
Clue: This one's related to 15. If you get one, you'll get the other.

09 Hags n Lout
Clue: anagram

10 Rachit Lips React
Clue: anagram

12 turns fly into bee
Clue: Look at flies and bees. Who effects the visual difference?

15 `Tage² (feat. a nominal Claus)
Clue: "'Tage" is short for a certain metal band. Its exponential offshoot revolves around Mr. Claus.

16 2 Sodom outtakes plus 3 bonuses from 2018
Clue: Not audio outtakes and bonus tracks but human outtakes and added humans!

17 Fischer minus Stricker plus canned beat
Clue: Warrior minus Ain plus programming.

18 √ TON plus 1 (decimals and anything not on record can be disregarded)
Clue: TON is a band's semi-official acronym. What was between this band and its root incarnation?

19 a whole minus 1/4 was two times the same (in 'now minus nine')
Clue: A whole = a band; minus ¼ = one member leaves; two times the same = two times the same name; in 'now minus nine' = in 2021 minus 9 years = 2012.

20 Today, ∞ minus everything plus Two sings in […]
Clue: ∞ minus everything is… nothing, so you can ignore that part, and it's all about the capitalised Two. Was that a band? And if so: did they have a singer? And if so: who's his current employer?
_________________
"The scary thing is: Tony still looks like Tony, whereas I don't look like me."
(Ian Anderson)

Top
 Profile  
mirons
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm
Posts: 307
Location: Latvia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 am 
 

Coastliner wrote:

1. Hail of Bullets
2. Bolt Thrower
3. Malevolent Creation
4. DJ Ötzi :-P
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_%C3%96tzi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi
5. Ruins of... Arcadia? Eden? Elysium? Purgatory? Yith?
6. Catafalc?
7. God's Electric Toothbrush? :fuck:
8. Ancient Rites?
9. Moonspell
10. could be Black Rose or Green Carnation


#1,2,3,8,9,10 are correct (Green Carnation was what I had in mind for No.10).

#5 is close, you got the first half right. The band name question uses a somewhat unusual spelling for the structure. And it is not a place or a building, but specifically a structure other than a building.
#6 very close, but the band name consists of two words; there is a hint in the riddle.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bushido, Google [Bot], In_Zane, LordOfTheGallows, NecroSonata, therealvivs, thrashinbatman, ThStealthK and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group