Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:36 am 

Hey All,

Stumbled upon this new cover version of When Death Calls. Tony Martin era Sabbath doesn’t get a lot of love so was stoked to see this

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:14 pm 

That sounded amazing!

CreepingDeath16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:19 pm 

This actually made me appreciate Tony Martin even more. This vocalist is good, but not nearly on the same level. They also play the fast part way too slow. Points for bravery but no dice.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:23 pm 

That was a solid rendition, they recaptured the same dreary atmosphere and put a good unique spin on it. Really wish that more bands would delve into the tracks on The Headless Cross other than the title song, every single song on there is a masterpiece with loads of potential variations.

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
This actually made me appreciate Tony Martin even more. This vocalist is good, but not nearly on the same level. They also play the fast part way too slow. Points for bravery but no dice.

Matching Tony Martin is a difficult task to be sure, but Sorcerer is a doom metal act, so slowing down the fast part was probably intentional in order to put their own stamp on the song. Covers rarely surpass the original, but this one was good.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:32 pm 

Yeah, they slowed it down on purpose...it's an interpretation.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:39 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
That was a solid rendition, they recaptured the same dreary atmosphere and put a good unique spin on it. Really wish that more bands would delve into the tracks on The Headless Cross other than the title song, every single song on there is a masterpiece with loads of potential variations.

CreepingDeath16 wrote:

Matching Tony Martin is a difficult task to be sure, but Sorcerer is a doom metal act, so slowing down the fast part was probably intentional in order to put their own stamp on the song. Covers rarely surpass the original, but this one was good.

Yep— HC is full of bangers- Nightwing and Black Moon just to name a few

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:05 pm 

great cover, love the vocals, yeah the bridge is a bit slower but whatever, it's a cover! the solos also diverge from Brian May's guest spot.

love Headless Cross and Tyr, not sure if many people listened to them at the time though

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:29 am 

One of my favourite Tony Martin era Sabbath tracks is a Japanese only extra off Cross Purposes....

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:13 am 

markhebb wrote:
One of my favourite Tony Martin era Sabbath tracks is a Japanese only extra off Cross Purposes....

Bonus track? This shoulda been the single! :headbang:

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:30 am 

markhebb wrote:

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard this one before. It sounds like it was written around the time of Dehumanizer when Dio was still on vocals, I almost thought it was him singing at first.

As for the Sorcerer cover, I really liked it. It does justice to the original while putting their own spin on it.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:15 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
That was a solid rendition, they recaptured the same dreary atmosphere and put a good unique spin on it. Really wish that more bands would delve into the tracks on The Headless Cross other than the title song, every single song on there is a masterpiece with loads of potential variations...
That is so true. Devil & Daughter, Black Moon and Nightwing are simply amazing. About two decades ago I heard a young man in some random bar who was having a karaoke night sing Nightwing. I remember him absolutely nailing the high notes of that songs refrain, the "Nightwing Flies Again" lines. I dread most people however trying to cover Tony Martin on Headless Cross, but Hollow Haze does a pretty good cover of the title track. Ever heard?
markhebb wrote:
Spoiler: show
What's the Use would have been my favorite song on Cross Purposes, which speaks to just how incredible that album is, if not for Cross Of Thorns.
Here is a hidden Sabbath gem:

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:48 am 

Luvers wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:
That was a solid rendition, they recaptured the same dreary atmosphere and put a good unique spin on it. Really wish that more bands would delve into the tracks on The Headless Cross other than the title song, every single song on there is a masterpiece with loads of potential variations...
That is so true. Devil & Daughter, Black Moon and Nightwing are simply amazing. About two decades ago I heard a young man in some random bar who was having a karaoke night sing Nightwing. I remember him absolutely nailing the high notes of that songs refrain, the "Nightwing Flies Again" lines. I dread most people however trying to cover Tony Martin on Headless Cross, but Hollow Haze does a pretty good cover of the title track. Ever heard?
markhebb wrote:
Spoiler: show
What's the Use would have been my favorite song on Cross Purposes, which speaks to just how incredible that album is, if not for Cross Of Thorns.
Here is a hidden Sabbath gem:

Super bluesy that track….

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:23 pm 

Luvers wrote:

I'd be thrilled if someone decided to do a by-the-numbers cover of A Kill In The Spirit World, Call Of The Wild or even the single B-side Cloak And Dagger, everything that came from the Tony Martin era and specifically Headless Cross and Tyr are an untapped goldmine of potential for a competent band with a strong lead vocalist. Sadly I've never heard anybody attempt a karaoke rendition of anything with Tony Martin on it, let alone Nightwing. I've done a couple renditions of Neon Knights and Heaven And Hell that were maybe passable, and I had a friend butcher Trashed once, but that's about it as far as witnessing anybody take on post-Ozzy material in an amateur setting. Did you witness this guy nail Nightwing recently or was this back in the late 80s/early 90s?

I checked out the Hollow Haze cover of Headless Cross just a few moments ago, definitely prefer it to the Powerwolf version (Attila Dorn is a solid vocalist, but his massive operatic dramatic tenor clashes with the song). I'd never heard it primarily because I only discovered Hollow Haze recently due to Fabio Lione's brief stint with the band.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:46 pm 

I've always noticed parallels between Anders Engberg and Tony Martin's voices so this song makes perfect sense as a Sorcerer cover. I do find myself wishing they hadn't slowed the climax but everything else is absolutely on point.

I could certainly go for more Martin-era Sabbath covers in general. I was deeply inspired by Dio/Martin Sabbath when putting Lavaborne together; our song Mortal Pride in particular was very influenced by the Tyr album. It's crossed my mind for us to cover a Martin era song at some point.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:30 am 

Sorcerer is already among the best doom bands in that particular style, so covering a Martin-era Sabbath song is a slam dunk. Fits their style so well.

Reply to topic